Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Check DPS as we are supposed to leave for SpyderQuest :(

Well - we bought a new trailer and go everything set to leave for SpyderQuest. Haven't ridden my 2011 RSS in two weeks do to work and being sick. Turn on Spyder drive it a little bit and Check DPS flashes across screen. Ugh ... Anyone have any suggestions ?

Going to run it to dealership in the morning to see if there is anything they can do or if it is the DPS unit dead ...if that's the case I guess SpyderQuest with the Spyder is out so upset since Ie planned this trip since December. Seems like Jakes Harley as long as it get an oil change, et. Runs great but my Spyder spends more time at the dealership then any car or bike we've ever owned. Frustrating.
    2013 RS-S Neutron Green/Black, Shark RSR2 helmet, Shark Evoline 3 helmet, Sena SMH20, Corbin Seat, Wheelchair Rack, Trunk Liner, STL Handlebars, Web Boards Driver Floorboards, backrest, BRP Givi Saddlebags, ISCI Handbrake

Spyder Garage

Code on Spyder is P0552
    2013 RS-S Neutron Green/Black, Shark RSR2 helmet, Shark Evoline 3 helmet, Sena SMH20, Corbin Seat, Wheelchair Rack, Trunk Liner, STL Handlebars, Web Boards Driver Floorboards, backrest, BRP Givi Saddlebags, ISCI Handbrake

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Code P0552 DPS Dynamic Power Steering refers to an electric motor that controls the steering rate/difficulty on the Spyder sped. i would definitely have it checked by a dealer.
    Good Luck.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kawakii View Post
    Code on Spyder is P0552

According to the code app, it says

Torque sensor shorted to gnd.

damaged DPS .

External troubleshooting is not possible Replace DPS
    Last edited by vided; 09-07-2014 at 05:39 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I have had the check DPS light come on twice while riding. I call these "jostle" warnings, as I have no idea what causes them. I just pull over in a safe place, stop the bike, turn off the ignition & take the key out. Walk away from bike taking the key at least 30 feet away from bike. Wait a few seconds. Replace key & start bike. This also works with other unexpected codes that come up with riding. I think the bike occasionally gets bumped on the road & these things pop up. Wouldn't take to dealer unless above does not clear it.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Turn on Spyder drive it a little bit and Check DPS flashes across screen. Ugh ... Anyone have any suggestions ?

Going to run it to dealership in the morning to see if there is anything they can do or if it is the DPS unit dead ...if that's the case I guess SpyderQuest with the Spyder is out
    My DPS crapped out with no codes at all showing. See http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...S-crapping-out! Yesterday though, it threw up the orange Check DPS screen just I as stopped in a restaurant parking lot. Stupid me didn't think to check for codes before I shut it off. When I came and started it up and checked for codes there were none.

I know how you feel. My brother took off today on a trip to north Idaho and western Montana, including the Going to the Sun highway, without me. Maybe next year!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Push in all the relays. If you do not have the DPS you should be fine.
    mine has had it happen two times in three years. Just stoped push in relays and then walked away for few minutes. Then every thing was fine.
    15 rt , yes Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

How's the steering? Hard, normal? If it's hard to steer, most likely the motor is gone. BUMMER.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default If need be....

bust on the dealer for a loaner, if the problem is critical,
    we want to see you at SpyderQuest!!
    Bill & Gretchen, SpyderQuest team members

Well - we bought a new trailer and go everything set to leave for SpyderQuest. Haven't ridden my 2011 RSS in two weeks do to work and being sick. Turn on Spyder drive it a little bit and Check DPS flashes across screen. Ugh ... Anyone have any suggestions ?

Going to run it to dealership in the morning to see if there is anything they can do or if it is the DPS unit dead ...if that's the case I guess SpyderQuest with the Spyder is out so upset since Ie planned this trip since December. Seems like Jakes Harley as long as it get an oil change, et. Runs great but my Spyder spends more time at the dealership then any car or bike we've ever owned. Frustrating.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default THIS AND OTHER VARIOUS CODE S

.....Hey girl.....If it's running don't sweat it .......I had this and quite a few others go for a couple of years .....they were all " PHANTHOM " codes ......Bike ran fine .................The only code that matters is >>>>>>....." LIMP MODE " .......................gO TO sPYERQUEST .....mIKE

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Nicole, have had this happen two or three times on my rss. after 5 minutes off with key in my pocket, I have returned and bike started and ran just fine. if it doesn't steer hard and the code didn't re-occur, have it checked if you can, but don't think you will have a problem if the code didn't re-appear. looking forward to seeing you and jake there!!!
    regards,
    chuck

Spyder Garage

[QagreeE=BLUEKNIGHT911;870449].....Hey girl.....If it's running don't sweat it .......I had this and quite a few others go for a couple of years .....they were all " PHANTHOM " codes ......Bike ran fine .................The only code that matters is >>>>>>....." LIMP MODE " .......................gO TO sPYERQUEST .....mIKE [/QUOTE]

I agree. Go for it. Plenty of people to check it out when you are there

Spyder Garage

We went out and rode it after letting it sit for awhile. Check DPS is still flashing. Jake was able to muscle it around. The power steering definitely isn't working. We will bring to dealer in the AM and see what they say. Jake said if I still wanted to bring it to SpyderQuest to get the farkles I wanted installed he would still trailer it up for me. A loaner is out oft the question as I need a handbrake and a place to keep my wheelchair due being paraplegic.

I have an awful feeling the Spyder won't be attending SpyderQuest running at least. Jake and I are really disappointed as we just bought and outfitted a new trailer just for this trip to bring Harley and Spyder. Something we wouldn't have done until spring if we hadn't been going to this event. We even were heading up two days early to do some riding and enjoy a few days alone.

I'm determined to go anyways though, shop the vendors, catch up with everyone, eat out, naive see, and cuddle up with Jake

My Spyder has spent way too much time in the shop this year ... A slingshot is looking better and better lately unfortunately.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We went out and rode it after letting it sit for awhile. Check DPS is still flashing. Jake was able to muscle it around. The power steering definitely isn't working. We will bring to dealer in the AM and see what they say. Jake said if I still wanted to bring it to SpyderQuest to get the farkles I wanted installed he would still trailer it up for me. A loaner is out oft the question as I need a handbrake and a place to keep my wheelchair due being paraplegic.

I have an awful feeling the Spyder won't be attending SpyderQuest running at least. Jake and I are really disappointed as we just bought and outfitted a new trailer just for this trip to bring Harley and Spyder. Something we wouldn't have done until spring if we hadn't been going to this event. We even were heading up two days early to do some riding and enjoy a few days alone.

I'm determined to go anyways though, shop the vendors, catch up with everyone, eat out, naive see, and cuddle up with Jake

My Spyder has spent way too much time in the shop this year ... A slingshot is looking better and better lately unfortunately.
    Nicole,
    call progressive motor sports tomorrow. they are an event sponsor. see if you come up early they might be able to take care of you. speak with Karen and let her know your situation. see what they can do to help out. never know without trying.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by samewok View Post
    Push in all the relays. If you do not have the DPS you should be fine.
    mine has had it happen two times in three years. Just stoped push in relays and then walked away for few minutes. Then every thing was fine.
    Any idea which relay may have been involved? None of them are identified as being tied into the DPS, but a couple of fuses are.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default RIDE OFFER

....Nicky , if you and Jake want to take a spin on my 2014 RT -SE we will be arriving at GEL WED. AM ........PM me for CELL # ........Mike

Spyder Garage

Thank you Mike.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spydaman60 View Post
    Nicole,
    call progressive motor sports tomorrow. they are an event sponsor. see if you come up early they might be able to take care of you. speak with Karen and let her know your situation. see what they can do to help out. never know without trying.
    Thanks - we will do some calling around as soon as we know exactly what's wrong with it. It'll depend on how quickly anyone can get a DPS unit from BRP I guess. Really am just disappointed

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks - we will do some calling around as soon as we know exactly what's wrong with it. It'll depend on how quickly anyone can get a DPS unit from BRP I guess. Really am just disappointed
    don't wait around, call progressive early. get the ball rolling!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spydaman60 View Post
    don't wait around, call progressive early. get the ball rolling!
    Just got it hooked up to buds it is giving P0051, and P0052 - dealer thinks is could be a loose Torgue sensor but has no time to work on it. Going to call up to progressive motorsports now and see if they can get us in.

Spyder Garage

Called progressive Powersports and they are checking with Karen about how to handle owners with issues with their Spyders. Sounds like they are pretty full up. Waiting on a call back.

Spyder Garage

Got a Call back from Karen at Progressive Powersports and that is a no go. They believe because of the code the DPS unit has to be replaced and that they are saying is a 3 1/2 hour job they don't have time for. Only have techs working on Spyders Tuesdays and Thursdays.

HK in Hooksett NH is full up as well but at least ran the BUDS report for us - they thought before DPS replacement takes place that technicians should check the torgue sensor connections for a loose connection or short.

We will bring the Spyder to Freedom Cycle in Concord NH in the am to see if they'll check for a lose connection so we know that isnt the case - And then they can confirm it needs a new DPS unit . If it needs a new DPS unit it'll stay at Freedom and we will be just coming up to Lake George to relax in our car.

Freedom is one of our home dealers so they can also fight with Zurich ( our extended warranty) for coverage of the work.
    Extremely disappointed.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Got a Call back from Karen at Progressive Powersports and that is a no go. They believe because of the code the DPS unit has to be replaced and that they are saying is a 3 1/2 hour job they don't have time for. Only have techs working on Spyders Tuesdays and Thursdays.

HK in Hooksett NH is full up as well but at least ran the BUDS report for us - they thought before DPS replacement takes place that technicians should check the torgue sensor connections for a loose connection or short.

We will bring the Spyder to Freedom Cycle in Concord NH in the am to see if they'll check for a lose connection so we know that isnt the case - And then they can confirm it needs a new DPS unit . If it needs a new DPS unit it'll stay at Freedom and we will be just coming up to Lake George to relax in our car.

Freedom is one of our home dealers so they can also fight with Zurich ( our extended warranty) for coverage of the work.
    Extremely disappointed.
    sure hope someone chimes in here with more tech knowledge than I have. it disappoints me that our sponsoring dealer cannot do something!

2010 RTS-SE, Orbital Blue
    Spyder Garage

I am not suggesting this to anyone, but years ago several owners put many miles on their without their DPS working. At the time, the dealer had to send one in, before he could get one back. Several owners rode theirs until it was their turn to get it replaced.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by retired1 View Post
    I am not suggesting this to anyone, but years ago several owners put many miles on their without their DPS working. At the time, the dealer had to send one in, before he could get one back. Several owners rode theirs until it was their turn to get it replaced.
    That gives me a thought! Maybe I should disable mine by pulling the fuse. Might be safer than having it kick and out on heavy turns. DPS should be replaced by the end of the week.

2014 Copper RTS