Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default 2009 Can-AM GS with DPS problem

Help, I need some advise.

So about 3 weeks ago, I was planning on taking my Spyder to the shopping center to pick up a few small items at Home Depot. As a former 2 wheel motorcycle rider I always like to do perform a safety check and walk around the Spyder. When I notice my display was giving me a message to "Check DPS". For a little history near the end of last year I had noticed that the steering was a little harder on the first trip of the day. This wasn't happening all the time but just once in a while. In the spring of 2014 I took my bike back to the dealer to get an oil change and inspection. I mentioned the steering problem and they said that they would check. The result was they had found no errors in the system and now its the end of summer and the my bike is back at the dealer and I am being told the DSP system needs to be replaced, it is not under the warranty. So it's going to cost over $1,400.00. I haven't even finished paying off the bike and this is my 4th year with it.

Has anyone else had a similar problem if so was Can-Am willing to cover it under warranty, how was the situation handled and resolved?

Stranded in Levittown

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There wAs a recall and replacement on the dps on the early units check for that also the dps is the biggest power user on the bike any battery issues or bad connection can cause nanny to go crazy
    2 happy happy spyders

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by r1100rider View Post
    There wAs a recall and replacement on the dps on the early units check for that also the dps is the biggest power user on the bike any battery issues or bad connection can cause nanny to go crazy
    Thanks, I saw the recall online and called Can AM directly and spoke to customer service and was told that my bike was not part of that recall. Maybe I should push the point as it is the same year as the recall of the other units.

A couple of years ago I added power to the trunk and some LED lights under the carriage and some above the front wheels. So maybe I should get the battery tested and go from there.

The fall is coming and it would be nice to be able to really enjoy it on the back of my Spyder.

Spyder Garage

Default Bummer..!!

have seen others and also were not covered. Considering it is a safety issue you could push for help with this. The other option is to start searching for parts maybe used or from online cheapcycleparts.com for one or the others like ebay and amazon or craigs list...good luck..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JQuest View Post
    Thanks, I saw the recall online and called Can AM directly and spoke to customer service and was told that my bike was not part of that recall. Maybe I should push the point as it is the same year as the recall of the other units.

A couple of years ago I added power to the trunk and some LED lights under the carriage and some above the front wheels. So maybe I should get the battery tested and go from there.

The fall is coming and it would be nice to be able to really enjoy it on the back of my Spyder.
    They recalled EVERY bike built from 2007 through 2010... I'd push the point!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

The DPS was replaced on our old 2009 RS under warranty by the previous owner. I saw it on the paperwork I got with the bike when we bought it. I would also push BRP on this as well.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Thanks!

I just wanted to thank everyone, I agree, it is a safety issue and will let you know what the result is.

Ride safe everyone!