Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default DPS crapping out!

The other day after I changed out the handlebar for the Tri-Axis one I took a short spin around the neighborhood. I turned a few tight circles in a couple of cul-de-sacs. I started to experience some really jerky steering in slow turns. When I got back home three codes came up, all VSS related. Turning the key off and on cleared the codes. Yesterday I went to a lunch meeting and saw Travis, the local (local = 45 miles!) dealer's Spyder tech. He's been off on paternity leave. We talked about the DPS problem. The most likely problem, other than the DPS actually crapping out, was the torque sensor setting. It turns out the torque sensor can get knocked wacky if the bike wheels are turned while power is disconnected and are in a different orientation when the power is reconnected.

The dealer was only a few blocks away and he said the service manager could do a BUDS check. Joe found the previous codes, and a code that came up when I ran the bike on the lift to check belt tracking after changing the tire. He cleared them, reset the torque sensor, I rode around the parking lot. Still acting up, and no codes. He rode it around and then checked BUDS. No codes again. So he said let's replace the DPS module, which won't happen until later in the week since they have to order the part. He'll get Travis to come in off paternity leave to do the replacement.

It feels like the DPS turns off and on. When I was coming off on a freeway exit the steering was hard for a bit, then released when DPS kicked in, then hard, then easy. The on/off operation sure caused me to repeatedly under steer, then over steer. Not a cool feeling!

Anyone else ever experience this?

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Hi. I think I might be experiencing something like this. My steering at certain speeds has been feeling stiff and then might suddenly get lighter all of a sudden.
    Anybody know the cost of dps repair out of warranty? Just got the dps in February per the recall.
    Fas

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Default same problem

Quote Originally Posted by WasWinger View Post
    The other day after I changed out the handlebar for the Tri-Axis one I took a short spin around the neighborhood. I turned a few tight circles in a couple of cul-de-sacs. I started to experience some really jerky steering in slow turns. When I got back home three codes came up, all VSS related. Turning the key off and on cleared the codes. Yesterday I went to a lunch meeting and saw Travis, the local (local = 45 miles!) dealer's Spyder tech. He's been off on paternity leave. We talked about the DPS problem. The most likely problem, other than the DPS actually crapping out, was the torque sensor setting. It turns out the torque sensor can get knocked wacky if the bike wheels are turned while power is disconnected and are in a different orientation when the power is reconnected.

The dealer was only a few blocks away and he said the service manager could do a BUDS check. Joe found the previous codes, and a code that came up when I ran the bike on the lift to check belt tracking after changing the tire. He cleared them, reset the torque sensor, I rode around the parking lot. Still acting up, and no codes. He rode it around and then checked BUDS. No codes again. So he said let's replace the DPS module, which won't happen until later in the week since they have to order the part. He'll get Travis to come in off paternity leave to do the replacement.

It feels like the DPS turns off and on. When I was coming off on a freeway exit the steering was hard for a bit, then released when DPS kicked in, then hard, then easy. The on/off operation sure caused me to repeatedly under steer, then over steer. Not a cool feeling!

Anyone else ever experience this?
    I had this happen back in February of this year, I read ALL the forums about the subject & decided to pull the battery and clean ALL the connections. We were preparing for a 700 mile trip down to Key Largo, Fl and did hope to not have that problem on the way.
    Well it has been 7 months and the problem has NEVER occurred again!!!!!!!!!!! The DPS does draw a lot of current. My battery & connections looked just fine but I cleaned everything real good, used a little no ox & tightened everything.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Mine was pretty much delivered with the same issue. First 100 miles or so I has having intermittent dps issues. Found it was loose battery cables when I installed my battery tender leads. That was almost 3 years ago and 10k miles ago.....hahaha.
    Yea, the dps pulls a lot of power...

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by timeless View Post
    I had this happen back in February of this year, I read ALL the forums about the subject & decided to pull the battery and clean ALL the connections. We were preparing for a 700 mile trip down to Key Largo, Fl and did hope to not have that problem on the way.
    Well it has been 7 months and the problem has NEVER occurred again!!!!!!!!!!! The DPS does draw a lot of current. My battery & connections looked just fine but I cleaned everything real good, used a little no ox & tightened everything.
    Sure wish I would have known this 3 weeks ago! Might have saved a lot of agony, and let me start my trip on time! Don't know if the tech disconnected the battery to change mine out or not, but so far 1800 miles later it's working good!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Wow thx for the advice. I'll change my battery and see how that goes

Spyder Garage

Hi all just an update.
    After replacing my battery my dps has been working perfect. The battery was indeed the issue. I'm so glad I find the advice here. I am pretty sure if I went to the dealer I would have had a misdiagnosis resulting in a costly repair bill. Thx again!