Thread: Crappy Gas Cap!

Spyder Garage

Default Crappy Gas Cap!

Does anyone on the forum know if there's a aftermarket replacement available for the Spyder. Two weeks ago while I was upstate having my rear tire changed I told the tech about my gas cap. The tech replaced the original cap with a new one from stock. I decided to ride around a bit before heading home but when I stopped to fuel up the gas cap would not open. I rode over to the dealer the tech had to brake the cap off. He gave me one off their demo and I was on my way. Well as luck would have it tonight while working on the bike I noticed small pieces of plastic near the filler neck. Why can't we get a decent gas cap and one that works for these expensive toys. This is just unacceptable we shouldn't have to be afraid to ride this bikes for fear of being stranded or much worse F**E. So, I ask those in the know if there is an aftermarket replacement? I've looked and BRP has been using the same part #709000414 for sometime now you would think these problems would've been fixed by now. They need to get a more reliable supplier or they need to get a cap that can withstand the heat under the panels. Could the heat be making the plastic brittle?

Ride safe!
    2022 Sea-T0-Sky

Spyder Garage

BRP makes a robust gas cap for the Commander. Lots of us were using it before the gas cap recall.
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Yazz View Post
    BRP makes a robust gas cap for the Commander. Lots of us were using it before the gas cap recall.
    Will this work on the spyder as a direct fit?

Ride safe!
    2022 Sea-T0-Sky

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default FITMENT

.....Because of another PROJECT ,.......I needed a gas cap with a smaller TOP , so I tried one I had from my old Saab 900 ......It screwed on fine and even clicked, ........for what this is worth , you can probably get one for a buck at any foreign car junk yard.......Mikeguyver

Spyder Garage

When BRP had the cap replacement a couple of years ago, we were sent Commander gas caps. They worked just fine.
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

Get one at any auto store.....the caps are almost universal. If you dont' want to pay the few bucks, go to junk yard and get all you want for $1 each.............
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    .....Because of another PROJECT ,.......I needed a gas cap with a smaller TOP , so I tried one I had from my old Saab 900 ......It screwed on fine and even clicked, ........for what this is worth , you can probably get one for a buck at any foreign car junk yard.......Mikeguyver
    Hey! on another note, were you able to post the pictures of the mirrors with the clip & screw you used. thanks!

Ride safe!
    2022 Sea-T0-Sky

Spyder Garage

Default HELP !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by taxmyzer View Post
    Hey! on another note, were you able to post the pictures of the mirrors with the clip & screw you used. thanks!
    ............no ! ! ! .....Are you going to Spyderquest.....you can see them in person ....Mikeguyver ........PS , I did have a design change which made this easier. Over the years I have bought a lot of aftermarket speakers and because I believe everything will have a use eventually I try not to throw things away ( this is a problem and I am seeking therapy ...Well all these speakers come with little metal attachment clips that you put a screw into......So instead of spot welding a nut or a "T" nut on the clip, I just drilled a hole and slid the speaker attachment clip onto my mirror clip and screwed the mirror on from the bottom. It's extremely secure now. An added benefit is ...because the OEM spring clip is gone the mirror can now come off easily once you take out the new screw.........

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Ooooohhh...is that the same cap as the 9000? I've got 3 older 9000 turbo's here in my personal junkyard. We were saabnuts for decades but finally moved on. I keep the 9ks as parts donors for my c900 convertible garage queen.

If the caps are the same I'll take one, I hate this Spyder cap that I have to leave loose so that it'll come off when I need it to.
    Eric
    YNC(SS) (Retired) - U. S. Navy Submarines
    2014 RT-S Cognac
    3 seadoo's,CBR250R, Suzi GT750 waterbuffalo's x4, Rebel 250, MB5, '84 Alfa Spider, '97 Jeep TJ, '93 Saab C900CVT, '99 SLK230, '65 Mustang, '59 Fairlane, '48 Ford 8n

Spyder Garage

Default ? ? ? ?GAS CAP FITMENT

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsrider View Post
    Ooooohhh...is that the same cap as the 9000? I've got 3 older 9000 turbo's here in my personal junkyard. We were saabnuts for decades but finally moved on. I keep the 9ks as parts donors for my c900 convertible garage queen.

If the caps are the same I'll take one, I hate this Spyder cap that I have to leave loose so that it'll come off when I need it to.
    ......pUT IT IN AND TRY IT .............Mikeguyver

Spyder Garage

Default Update!

So, I checked with 3 local dealers and none had one in stock. I went on line to Stant web site and found a gas cap that seems to work. For anyone who's interested the Stant part number at Advance Auto parts is 10835 & 11835 at Pep boys. The cap is smaller but seems to fit well and hopefully is of better quality and able to withstand the heat.

Gas cap.jpg

Ride safe!
    2022 Sea-T0-Sky

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by taxmyzer View Post
    So, I checked with 3 local dealers and none had one in stock. I went on line to Stant web site and found a gas cap that seems to work. For anyone who's interested the Stant part number at Advance Auto parts is 10835 & 11835 at Pep boys. The cap is smaller but seems to fit well and hopefully is of better quality and able to withstand the heat.

Gas cap.jpg
    http://www.amazon.com/Stant-10835-Fu.../dp/B000B8N3MI