Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default 6' 2" plus....talk to me

I ride a HD Ultra Classic. Stopped in to Pitbull Power Sports the other day to check out the Spyder. The owner, forget his name right now, gave me the "tour". Nice guy, I like him. I sat on a Spyder for the first time in my life and my first impression was, just like a GoldWing, made for short guys! Well, shorter than me anyway. He assured me he could change out the seat and bars and make it fit me just fine. I didn't ask what that would cost, but I figure close to a grand on top of the sale price.

So how about it you 6'2"+ Spyder riders, can they make it fit????? All my riding buddies have traded their HDs in for GoldWing Trikes, I kind of like being different so looking at the Spyders. (Wouldn't be looking at all but the #1 passenger says she would feel better/safer on 3 wheels versus 2....and she liked the Spyder!!) I've read enough on the GW forums and sat on enough GWs to come to the conclusion that I would never be as comfortable as I would like to be on a GW. Plus, a new one is about 10 grand more than a Spyder. They are nice though. Just thinking about and trying to make up my mind. All feedback is appreciated.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Maybe the new spyder F3 will be the model to suit you? Maybe worth waiting a few months to see?

Spyder Garage

6'3" here. Ultimate tall boy seat & highway pegs puts me on the road all day in total comfort. Rode 14 hours with no discomfort, could have gone longer. Came off Ultra and never looked back. You are right about a grand extra, but well worth every penny. You will not be disappointed.

Spyder Garage

Default 6'4"

also went to highway pegs and ultimate tall boy seat -- now I never want to get off bike -- I have a 2012 RTS SM5 -- but a new 2014 RT 3 cyl would be the way to go-- I got my bike just the way I want it so keeping it now -- but be careful -- I let the wife drive it once and ended up getting her a 2014 RS SM5 so I didnt have to ride on the back of mine!! Dont think an F3 would be the way to go for touring.

Spyder Garage

6'4" and 295# = have a RT SE6 with Seal Floorboards - really don't need a thing more. Thought I would need the adjustable bars, but, the 13s & 14s have a redesigned bar, and it's just fine. I needed to change the seat on my 2010, but the 2014 stocker is just fine for me.
    Last edited by Dragonrider; 09-05-2014 at 11:50 AM.
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

Default 6' 2"

6' 2" too...
    i've been riding my '09 RS SE5 since new, and have NO physical issues whatsoever... if you are looking at the RT, you will have floor boards and can get foot pegs as well...
    when i got my RS, i was having a cramped right hip after a couple hours of riding... i looked at my SPYD3R one day upon returning home, and said to myself "i need another place to put my feet"... so i built floor boards and foot pegs... i also had the 2" riser for the handle bars installed... and have since put over 40,000 miles of smiles on my face....
    best of luck, and ride safely....
    Dan P
    Easley, SC
    SPYD3R

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mike5511 View Post
    I ride a HD Ultra Classic. Stopped in to Pitbull Power Sports the other day to check out the Spyder. The owner, forget his name right now, gave me the "tour". Nice guy, I like him. I sat on a Spyder for the first time in my life and my first impression was, just like a GoldWing, made for short guys! Well, shorter than me anyway. He assured me he could change out the seat and bars and make it fit me just fine. I didn't ask what that would cost, but I figure close to a grand on top of the sale price.

So how about it you 6'2"+ Spyder riders, can they make it fit????? All my riding buddies have traded their HDs in for GoldWing Trikes, I kind of like being different so looking at the Spyders. (Wouldn't be looking at all but the #1 passenger says she would feel better/safer on 3 wheels versus 2....and she liked the Spyder!!) I've read enough on the GW forums and sat on enough GWs to come to the conclusion that I would never be as comfortable as I would like to be on a GW. Plus, a new one is about 10 grand more than a Spyder. They are nice though. Just thinking about and trying to make up my mind. All feedback is appreciated.
    I'm only 5'3" so I can't help so much with your specific question. But I can highly recommend buying from Len at PitBull. He'll do you right!
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

6'4" with foot pegs on both trikes. No problem for me. As mentioned, there are several ways to adjust your seating comfort. Join us.

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Spyder Garage

Red face 6'4" w/proportional frame

Seat, bars, or both. Suggestion. Make one mod at a time. Ride it a bit and you'll know soon enough if you need to do more. Personally, if you have an inseam 34" or over, I'd start with the seat.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

The Tall Boy seat makes a big diff. Personally, the highway pegs are a nice product but they don't fit my body or style at all. I don't use them, ever.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You've gotten a lot of responses from the folks in here who have no trouble changing light bulbs in high places...
    You mentioned your "#1 passenger"; you'll want to test-fit a new seat with her on it with you...
    There's only so much room to play with; if you get more... she has less.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Someone mentioned the Ultimate seat. I have one (but not for tall folks) and it's a good seat. But Corbin has a "Lamonster-cut" seat that might work for you, too. I've seen it and it looks like a good one, sitting a couple inches back.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default 6' 2" plus....talk to me

Quote Originally Posted by mike5511 View Post

I'm 6'4" and did not have to change anything on my 2013 ST-S

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

There are many options for seating, but the best way to determine what you need is to get the bike and put some miles on it. Then you can decide what you need. We have a sponsor here who does custom seats so the options are endless.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Invalid Emails
    In the hills South of Edinburgh, Scotland
    Spyder Garage

I'm 6'2" and ride a 2013 ST-S. I'm also tetraplegic (quadriplegic in American) so I'm a wee bit stiff (to put it mildly), but I was fairly comfortable except that, not being able to shift my weight around my legs would get stiff. So I added a gel seat pad. It raised the seat about 1" and it's so much more comfortable. In a perfect world it would be an inch higher still, but it's not bad. One day I may get a different seat, but for now I'm very happy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Spyder Garage

The taller folks have you pretty well covered. I am vertically challenged 5'5," so cannot assist you there.

I also recommend seat mods first, then see if you need additional floorboards or adjustable handlebars. The three should solve any issues you may encounter.

Pittbull has the reputation of being one of the best dealers to buy from. Quite a few have driven a lot of miles to do business there. Since your even in the "neighborhood," a good place to consider. 2015's are out in a couple weeks.

Some good deals should be floating around on the 2014's. I do recommend 2014 1330 ACE triple engine over the 998 Rotax. Also recommend avoiding 2013 year--some have had issues. 2013's are offering a $4000 rebate as well as a three year warranty though.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I'm 6'3". I ordered the BRP Comfort Seat (sits you 2" further back) the same day I bought my Spyder. It has made a big difference. It's not as comfortable, after riding for long hours, as some of the custom seats, but as others have mentioned, you can also order custom seats with more leg room. Handle bars seem just right without going to the adjustable ones. I could use a little more forward foot room, but the floorboards on the 2013/14 models are not bad for comfort - much better than the pegs for tall riders.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

Default Wow..!!

lot of tall people here. I feel short at 6'1".. but there is so much that can be done to be comfy..guess I'm lucky just changed seat to the comfort and good to go.. where there's a will there's a way...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Same thread, different seam...

6ft and 300 lbs with a 32" inseam. I am looking to replace the stock 2014 RT-S seat with something that puts me further back and hopefully a bit higher.

I put a Mustang solo on my H-D Road King and really love it. I would gladly pay for a true solo seat for my spyder. I dont ride double due to my confidence issues and my wife has her own spyder.

Any suggestions anyone?

-Steve.

sduskin at gmail dot com
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Metallic Dark

Fauquier County VA - Virginia's most carefully pronounced county.
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sduskin View Post
    6ft and 300 lbs with a 32" inseam. I am looking to replace the stock 2014 RT-S seat with something that puts me further back and hopefully a bit higher.

I put a Mustang solo on my H-D Road King and really love it. I would gladly pay for a true solo seat for my spyder. I dont ride double due to my confidence issues and my wife has her own spyder.

Any suggestions anyone?

-Steve.

sduskin at gmail dot com

Steve - I recommend talking to Corbin. If they don't have an out-of-the-box solo seat, I bet they could come up with one for you. Otherwise as mentioned above, take a look at their Lamonster cut seat. It's not the Lamonster cut since that came out after I ordered mine, but I love my Corbin. You can see it in my mods link below.
    2012 RT Limited - Pearl White

My Mods -
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?39494-DR-Buck-s-2012-RT-Limited-Mods
    2012 RT Limited , Full size brake peddel White w/Red Highlights

Spyder Garage

Check out the Russell Day Long saddle, you send them your seat, with a couple of pictures and a description of what you want, they make it happen. They'll have a "group buy" later on this year, if they get 50 orders, everybody gets a 20% discount. The RDL and a set of Seal floorboards could be what you're looking for.

john

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks

I have an SM6 and havent found any floorboards that specifically state they are for the SM6.

This is going to sound warped, but I would love to take my trail saddle and make a cycle seat from it. I have over 5000 horseback miles in that saddle and those are long distance trail miles. Lets just say its "molded" to my backside. I would have to have it dyed as its dark oiled leather and would not match the 2-tone black seat I currently have.

I looked at the corbin seat both the regular and the lamonster cut. Looks a bit deeper and squishier than the stock.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Metallic Dark

Spyder Garage

Hey there,
    I am 6'6", 360, a large guy in anyones book. I had test sat a HD triglide. It was beautiful, and about 36k. For me, it was "crowded". Seat and bars way too close together. Oh, we can sell you some different bars, no heated grips? Oh we can sell you those. Come on, 36k! I test sat my 2014 Spyder RTS and it was better. Not perfect, but better. Floor boards are supportive, and allow you to move your feet around quite a bit. I have never had another bike that is as quiet at the grips. Because of the fly-by-wire throttle there is no grip vibration at all, and your throttle hand will not go numb.....ever. The new RT is so powerful, quiet and effortless, it is certainly in a league of it's own. They do sell a nice adjustable handlebar ( not too interested ) and a seat that pushes the driver section back 2 inches, ( I am interested ). Like every bike I have ever owned, there are compromises. Or every car I have ever owned for that matter. The excellent so outweighs the bad with the spyder. I have logged 8 thousand miles in a little over 6 months, and every little ride is a joy. Just effortless pleasure. The ride quality is superior, they come with a quality lighting package for safety, they will stop on a dime. I am obsessed with mine. If you make the move, go gently at first, don't be afraid to use the "eco mode" it will still outrun most anything on the road. Once you learn how to do a little weight transfer in corners it will turn like on rails. Personally, I'm glad I waited for a '14 and the 1330 triple. I have heard plenty of bad news about the previous years. I don't think you'll regret it. Passenger comfort is High.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Forgot to check back....life! Still on two wheels but looking again. Thanks for all the posts from the 6'2" + folks!

Spyder Garage

Default 6'4" Ectomorph

Had a BRP Comfort Seat installed on my Spyder as part of the OTD package. Fit, function and comfort couldn't be better for my bony butt. Price was definitely a consideration in comparison to after market brands. I gambled and won. YMMV.

FWIW, based on assumed trial position(s) highway pegs are not in my future; legs would be too splayed out. Will see how I feel about them after SpyderFest trip.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S