Spyder Garage

Default Yet another tyre/tire query!

I live in the north west of Australia where it is hot all year around: 30C (86F) in winter to 38C+ (100F) in summer.
    The OEM rear tire on on my RS (i.e. 225/50R15) is down to the wear strips in 8,000km and it's never had great grip.

I've read all the threads and some go for Toyo, others Kumho or Michelin or Pirelli but I've never seen any mention of weather. The tyre that might be great in cooler climes may simply throw off the tread in the heat my RS contends with every day!

Are there any recommendations out there for a tyre that has good wear in the heat? Wet weather grip is always important of course, but we don't get much rain

Thank you,
    John Kennedy
    2016 F3-S , Yellow

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Usually it's a matter of what's available in the size you choose John. Obviously, there's a limited choice in 225/50, but we've also had good luck running 215/60's and there are those that would advocate it's a better size to fit the stock rim. Take a look at what's available and choose a tire that people have had good luck in your area with on small cars in that size. Where I live, we have very few days above 90 F, and we get a fair amount of rain. I would wait for the guys from the SouthWest to chime in and see what they're running. Also, what runs well on a fully loaded RT at 1500# may not work on a lightly loaded RS. I frankly think that this whole tire thing is a grand experiment right now and I'm not sure if there is one "best'' tire to run. JMHO
    Last edited by sddinnh; 09-04-2014 at 05:19 AM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I got 10k out of the rear OEM trying Kumho now, Front started cupping at 11k so ordered Federal to try there....OEM tires suck period.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bamaspyder1 View Post
    I got 10k out of the rear OEM trying Kumho now, Front started cupping at 11k so ordered Federal to try there....OEM tires suck period.

Think 10 k is respectable for motorcycle tires . I think the car tires will last longer , when I was talking to my dealer said he would not install anything other then OEM just because that's the tire the bike was designed for . If they change the compound back ill probably put another one back on the tire handles and performs great but te wear I agree is not great . But can't put the complete blame on the tire.

Bill

2013 RSS Neutron Green
    BRP HID's and Fogs
    Custom Belt Tension
    2014 side panels
    HMF Exhaust
    K&N air filter
    Bajaron sway bar and links

Spyder Garage

Default Can't say..!!

there are a lot of variable I never see in these evaluations. Road construction for instance, weather as you mention, ryder weight (there is little weight little traction easy spinoff) are a few. Being in southern California with little rain fair amount of heat and humidity all over the place, I got 22,000 on the rear and the fronts still good. Make sure you are looking at the wear bars and not the rain blocks. I ryde double and aggresively. I have put the oem tire on and will see how it does this time round. As for which tire you have to see which tires are doing well over your way. The majority of the posts here are east coast with ryding seasons. Bikes may be idle for months and roads built for that kind of weather...we ryde an RS and for my style of ryding I prefer the oem type tire....of which there are only two that I know of...Arachnid and Kenda. Many good car tires out there tough choice.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Well I'm on my second oem rear tire at 9,000 miles on my Spyder. I replaced the original at 6,500 and now the current one is getting pretty warn with only less than 3,000 miles on it. I do like to accelerate fast lol....
    2020 CAN-AM Spyder F3-S Special Series (sold)

2022 CAN-AM Ryker Rally 900

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default tire

Quote Originally Posted by 3 wheeler View Post
    Well I'm on my second oem rear tire at 9,000 miles on my Spyder. I replaced the original at 6,500 and now the current one is getting pretty warn with only less than 3,000 miles on it. I do like to accelerate fast lol....
    I may be to late but I put a nitto nt 450 205/55/15r on my new 14 rt and the speedo and rpm's match the kendas perfectly. good tire good on wet and dry roads. took about 600 mi. to brake in now even better. got the tire at big O tire , 105 plus tax took to my dealer and had it mounted 90. total 195 and I don't look to change it for 30,000 mi. at the soonest. tire is so close to the same width as the old junk kenda you can't even measure the difference. and don't tell them what your buying the tire for. good luck.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

8,000 Km does seem as if it's checking out a bit early...
    I've heard folks mention that there's a second set of strips in the oem tires, that AREN'T wear strips... could you have just gotten down to them?
    I don't mean to quesiton anybody's mechanical know-how; particularly since I have none at all!
    I just thought that it might be a possibility...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Read this: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...TORCYCLE-TIRES .

He has been using these YOKOHAMAs for years. That's IMHO.

Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    8,000 Km does seem as if it's checking out a bit early...
    I've heard folks mention that there's a second set of strips in the oem tires, that AREN'T wear strips... could you have just gotten down to them? .
    Nope, the rains strips an wear strips down to the same level
    2016 F3-S , Yellow

Spyder Garage

I've just ordered a Toyo Proxes 4 tyre/tire for the rear in the standard size (i.e. 225/50R15).

Being fitted next week, so I'll just have to wait and see whether this lasts longer than the 8,000km (that's only 5,000 miles) I got out of the OEM Kenda!
    I do have to say that our road surface temperatures are probably quite high given the prevailing conditions (winter here and 33C/92F today), and have an extremely rough/abrasive (stone chips in tar) surface.

John K
    2016 F3-S , Yellow