Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gass mileage

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by quadfather View Post
    understood. I guess I wasn't clear enough, but like I said in my post, mine has a manual trans not an automatic. and I hear everyone saying how bad there fuel mpg is, and I was just wondered if the auto trans was just less fuel efficient than the manual trans. because you have to rev it more to keep the auto clutch from slipping? with the manual as long as your not lugging it I see no harm in running at a lower rpm range.
    RE: transmissions. My 2008 GS was a manual tranny. I still experienced 30 - 31 mpg. My shift ranges were also in the 4500 - 5000 range.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default PLENTY OF TORQUE

Quote Originally Posted by quadfather View Post
    it's 2013 sts-sm5 totally stock only 1500 miles on it. just the recommended tires pressures in the manual. oil is whatever the dealer used at the first service. windshield is usually in the middle or down all the way. very little freeway time mostly country roads at 45 to 50 mph so not too much stop, and go so that helps. I am in ct. so there is some ethanol in the fuel but not as much as some states. I always run premium grade fuel. I don't ride it like it's a sport bike. I came off a Harley. so yes I tend to keep the rpm. low. I see no reason to rev a manual trans spyder unless you are trying to ride aggressively. if your just cruising why rev it? people say it will damage the engine by not keeping it in the 4k range? that makes no sense to me. if you are not lugging it or bogging it down on hills how could you hurt it. that's nonsense. I see it being an issue with the auto trans models because the clutch will slip. but other than that what could it hurt? the whole reason most new cars come overdrive tranny;s is to get the rpm lower to increase mpg. I wasn't trying too stir up a mess with my original question but just wondering if all the manual trans models were just more efficient. or maybe it's my riding style that helps?
    THE 998 has plenty of torque I completely agree with what you are saying there is no reason why this motor can't be run at lower RPM's on the flat areas the 998 doesn't bog down at all simply shift down to climb hills and you won't hurt the engine

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

As long as your bike is an "ESSEM"
    (If that ONE person on an "ESSIE" reads your post, and decides to run his that way... )
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    As long as your bike is an "ESSEM" [emoji106]
    (If that ONE person on an "ESSIE" reads your post, and decides to run his that way... )
    Then that would be their own fault, wouldn't it?

Spyder Garage

As long as your bike is an "ESSEM"
    I agree with you on that one . hopefully I was clear enough .

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    Then that would be their own fault, wouldn't it?
    I agree... but I'd still hate to know that somebody had toasted clutch for breakfast; and didn't have to!

I've done just enough teaching over the years:
    Snowmobile Safety
    Sportsmans' Education
    Bowhunter Safety
    Safe handling of firearms
    Firearms Marksmanship...
    to know that you have to instruct to the lowest level in the class...
    And it's NOT what you say; it's only what they Heard, that matters!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I agree... but I'd still hate to know that somebody had toasted clutch for breakfast; and didn't have to!

I've done just enough teaching over the years:
    Snowmobile Safety
    Sportsmans' Education
    Bowhunter Safety
    Safe handling of firearms
    Firearms Marksmanship...
    to know that you have to instruct to the lowest level in the class...
    And it's NOT what you say; it's only what they Heard, that matters!
    Let me know when you step down off your soap box...[emoji1]

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Oh wait!!

I forgot to mention...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default SMOKIN

I think someone is smoking more than clutch around here but really the ST is much lighter and can be run at a little lower RPM's if done intelligently yes you don't want to drop below 3600 in the flat's and you want to keep it around 5000 or higher going up a hill or shifting gears I have yet to check my gas mileage on my ST because that is the last thing on my mind when out for a ryde it's all about having miles and smilesPlease no smoking of clutches allowed

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by unclphil View Post
    I have a 2013 rt limited and i get 25 mpg...is that normal?
    have a 14rtl, went for a ride Saturday, I have 7k on the bike and have averaged around 40mpg most of time. I have a car delete, at any rate on my ride, all between 50 to 65 miles per hour, I rode 166 miles and used 3.4 gallons of phillips 91 octane. not bad. oh by the way, I run amsoil 10w30 oil.
    redhorse

Spyder Garage

Just got back from a trip along the Clearwater and Louchsa River in Idaho motorcycle camping. Two up pulling a mini trailer with all our stuff and got 29 on the first 2 tanks. Opened glove box and other receipts blew out so don't know after that. I think 29 is pretty good for that kind of travel.
    2015 RTSE, Red Pearl, Shorty Antenna, Chrome Rear Rack, Deer Whistles, BajaRon Anti-sway Bar

Spyder Garage

Showie, that's what I averaged this weekend, pulling a Mini Trailer through the mountains of WV and western VA then a hot ride home on the interstate the ride up was a little slower, back roads. I was pleasantly surprised when I did the math, 715 miles, 24.5 gal. I now know why Snowshoe is so popular, beautiful area.