Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gass mileage

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Question Gass mileage

I have a 2013 rt limited and i get 25 mpg...is that normal?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That's on the low side or normal... but without more information about how you ride; it's tough to help you sort this out.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I was at a similar point with my 2010, until I spend $1000 and switched to non-ETOH gas. Then it bumped up to the 2014 range.
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

Default Gas

I have a 2013 RTL and I checked my milage yesterday and was getting 34....I think that is good for a RT.

Spyder Garage

Without a lot of information its hard to give other than ballpark answer.

The 998 Rotax gets an average of 30 mpg. My current 2011 does 31-32. We keep the revs in the 5000 "happy" range.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by unclphil View Post
    I have a 2013 rt limited and i get 25 mpg...is that normal?
    That's what I get on my 2013 RT, but I'm a big guy and I ride rather aggressively, so I it's probably a tad on the low side of "normal", as Bob said. See the other thread in this section on the same subject, that was started just a couple hours before your's was.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

I am assume that these are all se5 models? my sm5 gets between 40 and 42 mpg and I don't rev it much. without having to worry about clutch slippage you can cruise at a much lower rpm. 3000 t0 3500 works for me , except on the freeway where I wish I had a 6th gear.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lwrydr View Post
    I have a 2013 RTL and I checked my mileage yesterday and was getting 34....I think that is good for a RT.
    That is exceptionally good for a 2013 RTL, if indeed that represents an average on several tanks of fuel.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by quadfather View Post
    I am assume that these are all se5 models? my sm5 gets between 40 and 42 mpg and I don't rev it much. without having to worry about clutch slippage you can cruise at a much lower rpm. 3000 t0 3500 works for me , except on the freeway where I wish I had a 6th gear.
    Quadfather,

That's a bit low for a cruising rpm, even for the most conservative rider. It is generally accepted that the clutch on a SE5 is not fully engaged until 3200 rpm (+ or - 200). Just because the clutch is not "slipping" does not mean that it is fully engaged. As you know, on the SE it engages gradually, and you cannot really feel when it's fully engaged. Furthermore, the optimum power efficiency range is up around 5000-5500 rpm for the 900 series engine. These engines are very different than those found on most motorcycles. Having ridden motorcycles for years, it took me a while to get used to the high rpm requirements of the Rotax 900 series engine.

I'm not trying to tell you what you should do. I simply post this so as to not mislead new riders who may be reading this thread. For more information see this sticky thread that is posted in the "General Discussion" section for all new riders.
    Last edited by robmorg; 09-02-2014 at 08:16 PM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robmorg View Post
    Quadfather,

That's a bit low for a cruising rpm, even for the most conservative rider. It is generally accepted that the clutch on a SE5 is not fully engaged until 3200 rpm (+ or - 200). Just because the clutch is not "slipping" does not mean that it is fully engaged. As you know, on the SE it engages gradually, and you cannot really feel when it's fully engaged. Furthermore, the optimum power efficiency range is up around 5000-5500 rpm for the 900 series engine. These engines are very different than those found on most motorcycles. Having ridden motorcycles for years, it took me a while to get used to the high rpm requirements of the Rotax 900 series engine.

I'm not trying to tell you what you should do. I simply post this so as to not mislead new riders who may be reading this thread. For more information see this sticky thread that is posted in the "General Discussion" section for all new riders.
    understood. I guess I wasn't clear enough, but like I said in my post, mine has a manual trans not an automatic. and I hear everyone saying how bad there fuel mpg is, and I was just wondered if the auto trans was just less fuel efficient than the manual trans. because you have to rev it more to keep the auto clutch from slipping? with the manual as long as your not lugging it I see no harm in running at a lower rpm range.
    Last edited by quadfather; 09-02-2014 at 10:38 PM. Reason: added to explanation

Spyder Garage

understood but like I said in my post, mine has a manual trans not an automatic.
    Yep, you did. Sorry I missed that. Still, if you look at a power graph for the 998 engine, you will see that torque peaks about 5000 RPMs and then basically levels out through 5500. At 3000-3500 rpm's, you are a long way from peak torque. To me, the engine seems awfully mushy and unresponsive down there.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link

Spyder Garage

Default Gotta say..!!

it still amazes me that this is such a hot topic. I cannot believe that anyone bought one of these machines for fuel economy. There are thousands of threads/posts on the subject with litterally hundreds of possible ways to gain a mile or two. With the number of variables it only works for some.. Just kidding you all have fun with it I am very happy with a 33 mpg average..my wife call this the GTO of the cycling world. Those that remember those car will know...and remember.....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAT

.........40 TO 42 mpg.....I realize you have an ST which is a couple 100 lbs. lighter than an RT.......But with that MPG average ....you should consider getting in touch with BRP and selling them the information you have on what they are doing wrong with the 998 engine....................Because 40 - 42 mpg from that engine is very hard to believe ................IMHO....Mikeguyver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    .........40 TO 42 mpg.....I realize you have an ST which is a couple 100 lbs. lighter than an RT.......But with that MPG average ....you should consider getting in touch with BRP and selling them the information you have on what they are doing wrong with the 998 engine....................Because 40 - 42 mpg from that engine is very hard to believe ................IMHO....Mikeguyver
    there must be a way to put you on my ignore list.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There is...
    Click on his Screen Name, go to his profile...
    On the left side; there's something you can clitck on to add him to your ignore list
    Mike,
    What do you mean by, "doing wrong "? The 998s run great; they like to rev, and do what they are asked to do...
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 09-03-2014 at 11:49 AM.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    There is...
    Click on his Screen Name, go to his profile...
    On the left side; there's something you can clitck on to add him to your ignore list
    Mike,
    What do you mean by, "doing wrong "? The 998s run great; they like to rev, and do what they are asked to do...
    .......I follow Spyderlovers almost everyday and to the best of my recollection NORMALLY the " 998 " does not get anywhere near a 41 MPG of gas on average.............So if " Quadfather " is achieving this .....WHY can't BRP......that's all I'm saying.......Pretty simple and totally non-aggressive ..........Mikeguyver

Spyder Garage

.......I follow Spyderlovers almost everyday and to the best of my recollection NORMALLY the " 998 " does not get anywhere near a 41 MPG of gas on average.............So if " Quadfather " is achieving this .....WHY can't BRP......that's all I'm saying.......Pretty simple and totally non-aggressive ..........Mikeguyver
    The best I ever got on my 998's was 34 mpg. Best on my 1330 was 42 mpg.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

My 2012 RTs with manual trans, Magna Flow muffler on non ethanol gas is giving high 30s to low 40s. The last 5 tanks I have been getting over 200 miles before the low fuel light comes on.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We don't know what he's done to his bike...
    We don't know if he's forced to use ethanol-laced fuel or not...
    We don't know how fast he rides...
    We don't know the traffic patterns in which he rides...
    We don't know his tire pressures...
    We on't know what oils or lubricants he's using...
    And how high is he keeping his windshield?

All of these things; and a WHOLE bunch more, can affect the pain at the pumps. The fact that his Stars have aligned perfectly, doesn't mean that BRP is doing anything wrong...
    He's just doing a couple of things REALLY right!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

there must be a way to put you on my ignore list.
    And what gets me is that even when you tell people you DON'T have an SE machine, they still want to convince you that you should be running the engine at higher rpms all the time...haha

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

In his defense; he DID apologize for missing the fact that it was an "ESSEM" bike...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

In his defense; he DID apologize for missing the fact that it was an "ESSEM" bike...
    Not singling anyone specific out. If it came across that way I apologize. Just seems to be the first blurb out of everyone's mouth in relation to rpms. Even though the sm bikes don't have the same issue.
    I have no issues shifting up to cruise through a neighborhood or on a flat road. 3k rpms is non issue on an sm for light throttle conditions

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I ran my 2010 the same way; UNTIL I got the word!
    Now that it's a better-known fact; hopefully, we're saving some owners a lot of grief!

I wonder what the percentage of sales is; SM, versus SE?

Spyder Garage

We don't know what he's done to his bike...
    We don't know if he's forced to use ethanol-laced fuel or not...
    We don't know how fast he rides...
    We don't know the traffic patterns in which he rides...
    We don't know his tire pressures...
    We on't know what oils or lubricants he's using...
    And how high is he keeping his windshield?

All of these things; and a WHOLE bunch more, can affect the pain at the pumps. The fact that his Stars have aligned perfectly, doesn't mean that BRP is doing anything wrong...
    He's just doing a couple of things REALLY right!
    it's 2013 sts-sm5 totally stock only 1500 miles on it. just the recommended tires pressures in the manual. oil is whatever the dealer used at the first service. windshield is usually in the middle or down all the way. very little freeway time mostly country roads at 45 to 50 mph so not too much stop, and go so that helps. I am in ct. so there is some ethanol in the fuel but not as much as some states. I always run premium grade fuel. I don't ride it like it's a sport bike. I came off a Harley. so yes I tend to keep the rpm. low. I see no reason to rev a manual trans spyder unless you are trying to ride aggressively. if your just cruising why rev it? people say it will damage the engine by not keeping it in the 4k range? that makes no sense to me. if you are not lugging it or bogging it down on hills how could you hurt it. that's nonsense. I see it being an issue with the auto trans models because the clutch will slip. but other than that what could it hurt? the whole reason most new cars come overdrive tranny;s is to get the rpm lower to increase mpg. I wasn't trying too stir up a mess with my original question but just wondering if all the manual trans models were just more efficient. or maybe it's my riding style that helps?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's your riding style, and the riding conditions...
    Folks don't seem to understand that these critters are about like a big old Barn Door; it takes LOTS of fuel to push them through the air faster...