Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Need some opinions. Trade up or not

I presently own a 2013 RTS. Been a great machine other than the fuel consumption. No serious issues at all with it. My question is. .. is it worth a ten thousand dollar loss to trade up to a new 2014 just because of the fuel consumption?
    My wife is always with me on the bike. We typically always pull our leisure light trailer with us. Our normal run is going for a week or two at a time. The one thing that I'm not impressed with is planning our route according to the availability of gas stations every 100 miles.
    I have a Goldwing that I suppose I could sell to make up the cost difference I guess, as long as the trade up is going to make that much of a difference.
    What do you folks think?
    I guess I'm trying to figure out if the 2014 is that much better of a bike for our style of riding compared to the 2013
    Last edited by Questions; 08-31-2014 at 09:55 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

As much as I love my 2014; $10,000 will buy an awful lof of fuel...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    As much as I love my 2014; $10,000 will buy an awful lof of fuel...
    I would like to go to a 14 also but 15k loss. No thank you

Spyder Garage

Just figure out how many miles you have to drive to make up for the cost and buy the 2014. Then start driving and don't stop until you've driven those miles. If you don't want to spend the cash DO NOT test drive the 2014 RT!

2014 RT Limited - Black / Currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dadof4 View Post
    Just figure out how many miles you have to drive to make up for the cost and buy the 2014. Then start driving and don't stop until you've driven those miles. If you don't want to spend the cash DO NOT test drive the 2014 RT!
    I'm taking that answer as a "yes it's a better bike" lol

Spyder Garage

Default Need some opinions. Trade up or not

The extra range is worth it alone, but the extra gear is even better.
    I went from a '12 RT S to a '14 RT L and am really impressed with the handling & performance up here in central Montana.
    Enjoy!!!
    2014 RT L Lightin' LeeRoy
    1980 CM 400A
    1982 CM 450A
    [/SIGPIC]Lightnin' LeeRoy

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    I'm taking that answer as a "yes it's a better bike" lol
    i thought I was in love with our 2010 RT until I started my affair with the 2014.

2014 RT Limited - Black / Currant

Spyder Garage

Default Yikes..!!

I'll sell you my gas can for $7.95..you ryde double with trailer and your expecting how much savings..? I'll tell you you are expecting too much..It's a sad fact that these earlier machines are not great on mileage but it is and was a fact. Granted it will be better but wait till the 15's are out and the prices will start coming down. But to answer your question...not now..hang in there....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

On our two Spyders combined (2008 GS SE5 and 2010 RT SM5) we have a total of 93,000 miles. When we travel to parts unknown, I never wait until I have run 100 miles before looking for a gas station. If one does, it's not a matter of if one will run out of gas, it's when. On our trip around the US and some parts of Canada in 2009, we bought gas when we saw a gas station and the gauge was past the half (over 13,600 miles in 7.5 weeks). My suggestion, don't temp fate. And would I get a 2014 for the MPG? Nope.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Based solely on mileage improvement, don't. Using the following guesstimates here's a SWAG about payback.

Miles per year - 10,000 (lot more than most riders I'm sure)
    Cost of premium gas - $4.20/gal
    Mileage w/ 2013 - 22 mpg (2 up and pulling trailer)
    Mileage w/ 2014 - 35 mpg (2 up and pulling trailer)
    Savings per year - $700
    Years to recoup $10,000 cost of trading up - 14.3

As to the worth of all the other benefits of the 2014 over 2013 only you can answer for yourself.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I really don't get this. You are being offered $8K for your 2013??

You should be able to get $15K for it on a private sale... really. The entry price to a 2014 would be about $3500 more. No, that's not the LTD, or even an "S". I had the "S" before, and have the base now, and am not disappointed or missing any of those farkles....

Yes, you probably paid $28K for it new, and will now get $15K for it. However, for your '13 and a bit more cash (don't know what the '14s are going for in your part of the world), you can have a Spyder that runs cooler, gets better milage, has an oil tank that allows you to actually check the oil, doesn't need to be kept at 3500+ rpm to keep the clutch from blowing up, ++++.

This assumes, of course, that your Spyder is paid for. If so, just think of it as adding $4K in performance farkles. If it's NOT paid for, keep the '13 and ride the wheels off of it, and buy a '17, or whatever, when it is.. JMHO
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The problem with distilliing this down to a mere question about fuel economy...

It's like buying a smaller house, because it'd take less paint to cover it!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Trading any vehicle after 1yr will cost you. The 1st year is the highest for depreciation.
    That said, I traded a 2011RSS for a 2014 RT. Primary motivation was to get an RT so my wife would be comfortable riding with me. The difference is amazing.
    2014 RTSS , Cogna/ black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I guessed the focus on fuel came out wrong. It's the one thing that stands out.

Spyder Garage

I traded up from a 2011 RTS. Big, big difference in all things Spyder. Don't know how much difference from 13 to 14. However, if you do a lot of long distance, what a difference. I can now go as far as my husbands Harley. We travel a lot thru uninhabited areas of Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, Eastern Washington and I can finally enjoy the ride and not worry about gas station placement! Plus, no burnt foot, easy oil access, transmission like butter etc,etc. Of course it's a personal decision but if any deciding factors are what I addressed, go for it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by schnauzermom View Post
    I traded up from a 2011 RTS. Big, big difference in all things Spyder. Don't know how much difference from 13 to 14. However, if you do a lot of long distance, what a difference. I can now go as far as my husbands Harley. We travel a lot thru uninhabited areas of Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, Eastern Washington and I can finally enjoy the ride and not worry about gas station placement! Plus, no burnt foot, easy oil access, transmission like butter etc,etc. Of course it's a personal decision but if any deciding factors are what I addressed, go for it.
    Heading to the dealer in the morning. Might wait to see the 15 but it's trade time. Thanks all

Spyder Garage

Heading to the dealer in the morning. Might wait to see the 15 but it's trade time. Thanks all
    AWESOME, Don't look back....

Very Active Member cognaccruiser's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Good luck with the trade-in. Love our '14.

Last week I was at my dealer here in the Okanagan (sure you must be familiar with that as I think that most of Alberta is here in the summer) and they sold every '14 they had except one and they want to keep it for a while because they don't have any demos. Even most of their '13's are gone. Might be necessary to wait for a '15 but hope you are able to get one.

Gary
    States visited by Bike

Spyder Garage

At this late part of the year, wait on the 15s!
    Replaced my Lamonster Certified RT Limited #1874 With a 2018 RTL.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Happy Shopping!!

Good Luck!!

Spyder Garage

EXACTLY!!!

Based solely on mileage improvement, don't. Using the following guesstimates here's a SWAG about payback.

Miles per year - 10,000 (lot more than most riders I'm sure)
    Cost of premium gas - $4.20/gal
    Mileage w/ 2013 - 22 mpg (2 up and pulling trailer)
    Mileage w/ 2014 - 35 mpg (2 up and pulling trailer)
    Savings per year - $700
    Years to recoup $10,000 cost of trading up - 14.3
    ...or if you only ride it 5,000 miles per year, you'd still make up the difference in just 28.6 years! Heck, I'd go for it.
    Last edited by robmorg; 09-01-2014 at 11:23 AM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default It's not just the mpg

I bought my 2013 RT Limited in May 2013. Loved it. Tomorrow I ride it to the dealer to trade it in on a 2014. Why? I test drove the 2014 at Durango and told myself I deserved it. Yes, I expect better mileage but that's not the primary motivation. Even though I have the BajaRon upgrade anti-sway bar and laser alignment which greatly improved the 2013 handling at speed, I found the 2014 to be even better. The performance improvements (2014 low-end torque higher than the 2013 mid-range highest torque gives much better power responsiveness at cruising speeds), reduced heat concerns (I had put in the cat bypass to stop cooking the contents of the glovebox and my inner thighs but it still got pretty hot), and finally the better mileage with the lower cruising rpm (in southwest Texas I have gone as much as 140 miles without seeing an open gas station so I keep a spare couple of gallons in the left saddle box on longer trips).
    Sure, I'm taking a bath on the trade-in/resale value of my 2013 but that's partly because of the quantum improvements with the 2014. Other than the new F3 probably replacing the ST, the word is that the changes for the 2015 model year will be minimal and the 2014 prices won't fall too much next year.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Tell us more about your pending deal!
    Which model and color, is tickling your fancy??

Spyder Garage

SeaDog,

While everything you just said is entirely true, I'd NEVER trade my 2013 RT for a 2014. They don't offer the 2014's in Lava Bronze with the Antler Brown seat!
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

I presently own a 2013 RTS. Been a great machine other than the fuel consumption. No serious issues at all with it. My question is. .. is it worth a ten thousand dollar loss to trade up to a new 2014 just because of the fuel consumption?
    My wife is always with me on the bike. We typically always pull our leisure light trailer with us. Our normal run is going for a week or two at a time. The one thing that I'm not impressed with is planning our route according to the availability of gas stations every 100 miles.
    I have a Goldwing that I suppose I could sell to make up the cost difference I guess, as long as the trade up is going to make that much of a difference.
    What do you folks think?
    I guess I'm trying to figure out if the 2014 is that much better of a bike for our style of riding compared to the 2013
    The 200 plus mile range on a gas tank if very nice even if you still choose to stop more often for stretching. It takes away much of the worry of gas stations locating in areas you are not familiar with. For a heavy Ryder the cost savings are significant. I calculate that from maintenance and mileages costs that on 25000 miles (my normal year) I save $3000.
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER