Thread: GoPro Mounting

Spyder Garage

Default GoPro Mounting

Anyone have any suggestions for how to mount a GoPro to a RT622 Trailer?

Also how is the best way to mount a Garmin without having to tear apart the whole bike to wire it?

Thanks

Spyder Garage

I used a GoPro Suction Cup Mount to mount GoPro to the side of my Spyder... should work just about anywhere on the RT622.

Phil
    2014 RTS / SE6 Yellow

YouTube Channel
    MotoVlog

Spyder Garage

Can you post as pic of where the mount is on your spYder? Also, what max speed have you gone, & how long does the mount stay attached? Got a Gopro for Christmas & haven't used it yet.

Spyder Garage

Never used a suction cup, but I think I would try to
    safety wire the camera to the bike.

this posting has been vetted, scrubbed and endorsed by the
    committee for postings

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by grumpybob View Post
    Can you post as pic of where the mount is on your spYder? Also, what max speed have you gone, & how long does the mount stay attached?
    Max speed in the video was 45 MPH, neither the blacktop or lime-rock grade were particularly smooth. Max speed with camera mounted on RTS, about 65 MPH. Mount has been in place for 1 ~ 2 hours at a time, I pop it off to download video to computer... Wipe suction cup and panel with wet cloth before mounting, should be good for at least 12 hours. (probably many more)

I haven't tethered the camera/mount (yet), but no problem to use shock cord or parachute cord from camera/mount to mirror in this location.

Phil
    2014 RTS / SE6 Yellow

YouTube Channel
    MotoVlog

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by roddenby51 View Post

I haven't tethered the camera/mount (yet), but no problem to use shock cord or parachute cord from camera/mount to mirror in this location.

TETHERED! Couldn't think of that word.

this posting has been vetted, scrubbed and endorsed by the
    committee for postings

Spyder Garage

Default Suction cup..!!

have had it mounted in several locations but always tethered with a lanyard to the mirror mount. Depending on the ryde I have been up to 85 mph but the scenic routes are always much slower. The flatter the surface the better the grip. Make sure it is clean and moisten the cup before installing. If you want more of what you see then the helmet is the best place...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    If you want more of what you see then the helmet is the best place...
    I found that to be the best place, when I used my go pro. When helmet mounted with bracket, it's a dynamic position (larger field of view with head movement) rather than static, if mounted elsewhere.
    Last edited by wyliec; 08-31-2014 at 07:04 PM.

Spyder Garage

Hey guys, this may be alittle off topic, but, what size SD card ( 8/16/32/64 meg) do you use and how long can you record before your out of space on the card or battery runs dry. really curious as to real world numbers.. Thx

Granpa Pete
    Grandpa Pete
    Peter & Kim Pontinen
    2020 RTL Dark Marsala

Spyder Garage

GoPro Hero2 = SanDisk 32GB Extreme U3/UHS-1 SDHC = 4+ hours @ 720/60

GoPro Hero3+ = SanDisk Extreme Plus 64GB MicroSDXC UHS-1 = 4+ hours @ 1080/60

Batteries are good for about 2 hours...
    Last edited by roddenby51; 09-06-2014 at 10:35 AM.
    Phil
    2014 RTS / SE6 Yellow

YouTube Channel
    MotoVlog

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by roddenby51 View Post
    Max speed in the video was 45 MPH, neither the blacktop or lime-rock grade were particularly smooth. Max speed with camera mounted on RTS, about 65 MPH. Mount has been in place for 1 ~ 2 hours at a time, I pop it off to download video to computer... Wipe suction cup and panel with wet cloth before mounting, should be good for at least 12 hours. (probably many more)

Thanks for the pics. I am going to pick that mount up today and try it out. Will also use the same mount on my Polaris RZR, on the hood and see how it works..

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vided View Post
    Never used a suction cup, but I think I would try to
    safety wire the camera to the bike.
    I use the GoPro Suction Mount too...but with a tether attached to the bike in case of suction failure. The suction cup is incredibly strong...I can almost break the lock on my frunk by lifting the suction mount, it's THAT strong. In any case, i've never had the suction mount fail, but in the event it does, I have a tether from the camera to the inside of my frunk...so worse case, if the suction gives out, the camera will stay attached to my bike. Granted, it may be dangling until I can pull over...but it sure beats losing a $500 camera along the roadside!

BTW...the tethers are only a few bucks and WELL worth the investment. The Suction mount allows you to move the vantage point of the camera until you find that "sweet spot". I didn't want to drill any holes in my bike for accessory mounting, so all of my accessories use pre-tapped screw holes or some type of suction mount. So far, everything has worked perfectly. I have been up to 114mph with my phone (Ram X-Grip) and GoPro (Suction mount) mounted on the Spyder...and although my phone blew off the X-Grip, the suction mount stayed put the whole time.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpa Pete View Post
    Hey guys, this may be alittle off topic, but, what size SD card ( 8/16/32/64 meg) do you use and how long can you record before your out of space on the card or battery runs dry. really curious as to real world numbers.. Thx

Granpa Pete
    I'm using a GoPro Hero3 with 64gb card. I get about 45 minutes of continuous recording time...or several hours of standby time. If you have the Wi-Fi enabled, it will eat up the GoPro battery AND the remote battery. I keep an extra GoPro battery charging in the frunk and swap out along the ryde. This way, i'm never with a dead battery when the twisties (or similar money shot) present themselves.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Looking over my action cam

Looking over my replay XD1080p kit. The various components and adhesive backed attachment pieces are very handy, but at their website there are also suction cup attachments for sale as well.
    http://replayxd.com/products/hybrid-mounts/

Chas

Spyder Garage

My preferred GoPro mount is the chin bar of my helmet. Camera is just below my line of sight, and no problem with hitting objects when off the bike. Adhesive mount required reshaping to fit chin bar, 80 grit sandpaper, 4" diameter pipe, and some time.

GoPro on helmet:

GoPro view from bike:

Phil
    2014 RTS / SE6 Yellow

YouTube Channel
    MotoVlog

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Don't Look

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    have had it mounted in several locations but always tethered with a lanyard to the mirror mount. Depending on the ryde I have been up to 85 mph but the scenic routes are always much slower. The flatter the surface the better the grip. Make sure it is clean and moisten the cup before installing. If you want more of what you see then the helmet is the best place...
    Gene stop looking down to find the turn signal!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.