Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Missing at low rpm

My 2009 RS has been missing and popping at low rpm riding around town or in stop and go traffic. It mainly does it when it is hot outside (above 90). I have replaced Y gaskets already. Have bajaron plugs an wires. It's never died on me but just runs rough. If you kill the engine and try to restart it takes a couple times to start. Sometimes you even have to twist the throttle a little to get it started. Any ideas?
    2014 Silver Platinum ST Limited: Mods so far: fog lights, passenger backrest, ultimate seat w/driver backrest, rivco drink holder bracket with ram x-grip cell phone holder

Spyder Garage

fuel filter? air filter?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by figmotoday View Post
    fuel filter? air filter?
    Air filter looked fine when I replaced the plugs. Doesn't seem to miss or pop at highway speeds.
    2014 Silver Platinum ST Limited: Mods so far: fog lights, passenger backrest, ultimate seat w/driver backrest, rivco drink holder bracket with ram x-grip cell phone holder

Spyder Garage

Check vacuum hoses left side of bike 2, 3inch hoses

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jtoro1 View Post
    Check vacuum hoses left side of bike 2, 3inch hoses
    Left side if your sitting on the bike?

Spyder Garage

Yes sitting on bike , on left side of throttle body look up vacuum hose on SL there is pictures

Spyder Garage

Checked vacuum lines today and they are fine. Also pulled air box and checked plugs and plug wires to make sure they were right and snapped in correctly. No problem with them either. Any other ideas?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Pinch off the line leading to the purge valve and take it for a ride. It's on the right side just behind the panel with the can-am sticker on it.

Spyder Garage

Default Stalling

I had a problem on my ST-S where sometimes it would die after I started it and would run rough. Turned out it was the purge valve that had to be replaced. Now it runs great!
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

I ordered a purge valve and fuel filter. I will replace them and see if that fixes the problem. Right now I guess it is process of elimination.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

funny I have same problem, I just live with it but I will try the valve also, thanks

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Probably easier to do a canisterectomy and be done with it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderRx View Post
    My 2009 RS has been missing and popping at low rpm riding around town or in stop and go traffic. It mainly does it when it is hot outside (above 90). I have replaced Y gaskets already. Have bajaron plugs an wires. It's never died on me but just runs rough. If you kill the engine and try to restart it takes a couple times to start. Sometimes you even have to twist the throttle a little to get it started. Any ideas?
    I' ve got a similar problem on my 2008. Replaced and checked everything you did, without succes. Finaly had the fuel injectors cleaned, in my case, it solved the problem.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    Probably easier to do a canisterectomy and be done with it.
    Absolutely and highly recommended (IMHO). Eliminates more than just a possible rough running engine. And less expensive than buying a new purge valve.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Absolutely and highly recommended (IMHO). Eliminates more than just a possible rough running engine. And less expensive than buying a new purge valve.
    I had a problem like that and it turned out to be a map sensor. Below 3500 rpm it hardly ran, above 3500 it ran great. I have a 2011 RS-S SE5. With the SE5 transmission I realy had a hard time pulling out. The dealer found the problem with B.U.D.S. That's IMHO.

Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MikeinGA View Post
    I had a problem like that and it turned out to be a map sensor. Below 3500 rpm it hardly ran, above 3500 it ran great. I have a 2011 RS-S SE5. With the SE5 transmission I realy had a hard time pulling out. The dealer found the problem with B.U.D.S. That's IMHO.

Mike
    Good point. The truth is it could be one of several things and possibly a combination. Personally, I removed my canister and there was nothing wrong with the system, except that it was there and I didn't want it to be.

Hooking up to BUDS might be just the ticket to pinpoint the problem. Sometimes throwing parts at a problem works great. Sometimes not so good.

Spyder Garage

Good point. The truth is it could be one of several things and possibly a combination. Personally, I removed my canister and there was nothing wrong with the system, except that it was there and I didn't want it to be.

Hooking up to BUDS might be just the ticket to pinpoint the problem. Sometimes throwing parts at a problem works great. Sometimes not so good.
    I have had it checked at the dealer with buds a couple of times and it hasn't showed anything. So you would definitely do the canisterectomy over replacing the purge valve. Guess I could send the purge valve back. I'm planning on buying a ST soon. Want to see what they do with the 15's first.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I did the canisterectomy it took less the 30min, took the bike out for a ride and it seems to have stop the problem.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Removing the canster will void your warranty and is againest the law. The canster tank vapor hose should be higher that the gas tank vent and the canster moved to in front of the engine on the trunk wall and that problem is fixed, the raw fuel can't get onto the canster. I can see the Spyder ST, RS models not being made in the future. The V-twin RT are no longer made. That IMHO.

Mike

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Removing the canster will void your warranty and is againest the law. The canster tank vapor hose should be higher that the gas tank vent and the canster moved to in front of the engine on the trunk wall and that problem is fixed, the raw fuel can't get onto the canster. I can see the Spyder ST, RS models not being made in the future. The V-twin RT are no longer made. That IMHO.

Mike
    Does not matter when you don't have a warranty and removing it is not against the law unless your state requires it. As with motorcycles it is not really needed, can-am just went over board in building this thing in so many ways. Part of the fun of owning a bike is working on it and making it your own so any mods or anything I can do to make the bike lighter or faster I do. Removing this canister has made my bike idle smoother and it stopped missing when idling, of course this is just me and how I love bikes. To each his own I guess

Spyder Garage

Removing the canster will void your warranty
    Not True. They would have to show cause that the missing canister created the problem. Since the canister has no function other than to route fuel vapors from the gas tank through the engine combustion cycle, they would be extremely hard pressed to demonstrate any cause and effect from its removal.

I've had several warranty repairs done. No one even mentioned the missing canister.

and is againest the law. ​
    True. And this has to be factored in of course. But I think you can trace at least some, if not several of the Spyder fires to this canister. Not to mention fuel smell and other problems created by faulty canister components. Just my opinion, but eliminating this canister has been more than worth the effort to me.

Everyone has to make their own decision. The Canister-Ectomy is just an inexpensive option that has been tried with great success.

Spyder Garage

Not True. They would have to show cause that the missing canister created the problem. Since the canister has no function other than to route fuel vapors from the gas tank through the engine combustion cycle, they would be extremely hard pressed to demonstrate any cause and effect from its removal.

I've had several warranty repairs done. No one even mentioned the missing canister.

True. And this has to be factored in of course. But I think you can trace at least some, if not several of the Spyder fires to this canister. Not to mention fuel smell and other problems created by faulty canister components. Just my opinion, but eliminating this canister has been more than worth the effort to me.

Everyone has to make their own decision. The Canister-Ectomy is just an inexpensive option that has been tried with great success.
    I talked to a rider with a 2010 RS at Maggie Valley and he told me that his dealer would not do warranty repairs unless he reinstalled his canister. I agree that the canister is in a really poor location and does cause raw fuel to dump on the ground , to me relocating the canister is the right way fix the problem. For now I rerouted the gas tank vent line up to the frame and then down to the canister. When I relocated the gas tank vent line I removed the canister I drained it before I reinstalled it and it had raw gas and lettle water in it. That's IMHO.

Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I talked to a rider with a 2010 RS at Maggie Valley and he told me that his dealer would not do warranty repairs unless he reinstalled his canister. I agree that the canister is in a really poor location and does cause raw fuel to dump on the ground , to me relocating the canister is the right way fix the problem. For now I rerouted the gas tank vent line up to the frame and then down to the canister. When I relocated the gas tank vent line I removed the canister I drained it before I reinstalled it and it had raw gas and lettle water in it. That's IMHO.

Mike
    That dealer sounds like a DICK! And if it were my dealer, I'd be looking for another one. The dealer we do use has no issues with most mods, including the canisterectomy. While he himself is not allowed to do it, he agrees that it works and is a good idea.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The dealer in question, is trying to "cover his butt"...
    Face it; it is against the law, and he'd just as soon NOT have an illegally modified bike in his shop...
    Particularly when the consequence could end up shutting him down, or bankrupting him.
    It's understandable, and doesn't make him a "Dick"
    (Unless his first name is "Richard" )
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Removing the canister is Not against the Law in the majority of states. The canister is not required by law in the majority of states. The can-am spyder is considered a motorcycle in the majority of states and is covered under that.