Spyder Garage

Default TrailerWiring Converter

In the process of installing the Show Chrome/Big Bike Parts trailer wiring harness. The harness is a five wire setup and my trailer is four. I could go buy a converter but I am wondering if I can accomplish the same thing with two diodes. The trailer harness is left turn/right turn/ running/ ground. The Bike harness has a separate line for the brake lights. I figure I can "Y" the brake light line to the turn signals lines and just use diodes to prevent voltage from going to the opposite turn signal when one is being used. Just wanted to toss this out to those with more electronics knowledge to check my logic and see if the converter is providing something else that I am missing.

CJ JAX

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Should work. I've done the same setup but for another application, not brake lights. Be sure to get diodes rated high enough. The only downside is there will be about a 1 volt drop across the diode, but that I don't think that will have a significant impact on the lights.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Hey Zuni;

So what did you end up doing about the 5 wire show chrome adapter to 4 wire trailer? I'm in the same boat.

I really don't want to make the trailer a 5 wire as that would cause a compatibility problem with my Tahoe.
    I will most likely get a 5 wire to 4 wire adapter and connect it to the show chrome adapter.

By the way, what sailplane are you flying? I have about 10 hrs in 2-33 Grob-103, & ASK-21's. But almost 490 with power.
    Thanks.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Craignet View Post
    Hey Zuni;

So what did you end up doing about the 5 wire show chrome adapter to 4 wire trailer? I'm in the same boat.

I really don't want to make the trailer a 5 wire as that would cause a compatibility problem with my Tahoe.
    I will most likely get a 5 wire to 4 wire adapter and connect it to the show chrome adapter.

By the way, what sailplane are you flying? I have about 10 hrs in 2-33 Grob-103, & ASK-21's. But almost 490 with power.
    Thanks.

I took the easy (cheap) way out and went to Radio Shack and picked up two blocking diodes. I soldered two wires to the brake light line and put the diodes on those wires. I attached those two wires to the trailer turn signal wires. Done! The diodes were $2 for two and keep the unused turn signal from flashing when the other is in use. I got a panel mount 4 wire connector from etrailer ( http://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Hidden-Hitch/118603.html) and attached it to the bottom of the plastic trim by the saddle bag. Plenty of space behind it for the wiring. The other connector in the picture is a panel mount battery tender socket that I have wired to charge the battery in the trailer.

CJ JAX
    Attached Images Attached Images