Spyder Garage

Default Clutch Cable Broken?

Came back from vacation and some great riding in Lake George and the Spyder ran fantastic. The next time I got on it to put it away, the clutch lever just pulled in with no resistance. It was in neutral so it started but when I pull in the clutch and put it in 1st it cuts right out. Any thoughts? (only good ones please) lol

"THE DOG SLED"
    2011 Spyder Can Am RTS SM5 (Orbital Blue)
    Nuvi 550 GPS With Ram Mount
    Drink 2 Go Cup Holder
    KewlMetal RT Run-Turn-Brake LED
    GloRyder Wolf Paw (in blue)
    DMWMS Decal
    IPS w/
    Alaska Leather Sheepskin Butt Pad
    TricLed - Brake Pedal
    Chrome Shortee Antenna

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TOPDOGJIM View Post
    Came back from vacation and some great riding in Lake George and the Spyder ran fantastic. The next time I got on it to put it away, the clutch lever just pulled in with no resistance. It was in neutral so it started but when I pull in the clutch and put it in 1st it cuts right out. Any thoughts? (only good ones please) lol
    No cable it's hydraulic Likely low clutch fluid (DOT 4 brake fluid.)
    Last edited by billybovine; 08-28-2014 at 06:15 PM.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

You are going to have to bleed it by hand you do not need the buds take off the right side covers the clutch bleeder screw is at 6 o'clock you bleed it like car brakes the fluid gets black and needs replaced around 6 to 8 k

Spyder Garage

Default Try this..!!

open the resivoir and check the fluid level and condition. If black and nasty you best flush the system. If not your cup of tea then make sure it is full and add if needed.then cap back on and pump the lever and see if you can build up some resistance. This could work enough to get you to a brake shop bike shop or dealer. If not enough then you need to build up what ever pressure you can and pop the bleeder valve open and shut letting the air out. May have to do it a couple of times. If this does not work you may need some new o rings or rebuild kit...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks everyone. I just need to ride it into my toy hauler and bring it to the dealer. There was one other minor bulletin I believe they need to update while I am there.

"THE DOG SLED"
    Drink 2 Go Cup Holder
    DMWMS Decal
    IPS w/
    TricLed - Brake Pedal
    Chrome Shortee Antenna

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TOPDOGJIM View Post
    Thanks everyone. I just need to ride it into my toy hauler and bring it to the dealer. There was one other minor bulletin I believe they need to update while I am there.
    If it failed suddenly rather than gradually creeping up on you, it may well be an o-ring failure in the slave cylinder. Been there, done that. In my case the tech found a small cut in the o-ring that looked like it had be cut by a sharp edge during assembly at the factory. But others report the o-rings deteriorating in general. Good luck.

RT and Gold Wing States & Provinces

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gypsy_100 View Post
    If it failed suddenly rather than gradually creeping up on you, it may well be an o-ring failure in the slave cylinder. Been there, done that. In my case the tech found a small cut in the o-ring that looked like it had be cut by a sharp edge during assembly at the factory. But others report the o-rings deteriorating in general. Good luck.
    Suddenly for sure. Thanks for the info, I will look into this. I love this forum you guys are the best.

"THE DOG SLED"
    Drink 2 Go Cup Holder
    DMWMS Decal
    IPS w/
    TricLed - Brake Pedal
    Chrome Shortee Antenna

Spyder Garage

I just flushed my SM5 clutch system weekend before last during my 9500 mile service.

It's pretty easy to do! I thought I got the right tool as shown in the service manual but I did not
    Harbor Freight tool said it was a pump too but obviously not!

However the service manual shows both procedures e.g. with a pump tool or by hand. So I did it by hand and it worked perfectly.

Here is a video I did hopefully this will help.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black