Spyder Garage

Default Another Motorcycle Death

A young man who grew up here died in a motorcycle accident in California. He was a CHP motorcycle officer out on patrol and a truck pulling a trailer turned in front of him. The two vehicles collided and he was ejected from the bike, killing him. These things keep pushing me ever stronger towards getting a Can AM Spyder RT. The fact that it's wider and more visible to traffic would help but I'm even considering the yellow color so I can stand-out in traffic and be seen. The fact that I'm rolling the dice every time I go out on my two wheel motorcycle is becoming a big issue to me. Add the fact that my 61 year old legs aren't what they used to be backing it up or steadying it for my wife to get on & off. I think the time has come to make the switch.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Go for it

Spyder Garage

Default Go for it

I think the time has come to make the switch.

You will not be sorry. In fact, after the "adjustment period", you will be very happy!
    Doug Barnes
    James 4:17

all on two wheels. More on four or more. Guess I may need to start multi-coloring for three wheels.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm sorry to hear that it has taken a loss of life, to prompt your decision...
    But once you make the change; you'll love it!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Go for it

That's why when I switched to the spyder I chose the 2012 viper red. I have had so many Tri led lights put on it that if someone can not see me coming they must be totally blind.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default It will be a blessed relief

Sorry to learn of this loss, and how you feel lately about your riding.
    There are too many valid and positive reasons to make the change, and switch.
    But, I'm also very sure you will feel much safer and ride with more confidence. Sounds like you are lacking a little of that now. Yes, the built in safety features alone, are worth a serious consideration.
    Good luck, and I hope the change happens soon, so you can bring back the fun, in your excursions.

Happy trails.

Chas

Spyder Garage

We're about the same age. That is exactly why I bought my spyder.
    In my case I bought a red one
    Stefan

Spyder Garage

Default Sad news..!!

sorry to hear about the officer. They are well trained and excellent riders but the road is a hazardous place and it is so often the others who don't abide by the rules... To his family, co-riders and friends.
    As for you..these things make you thing twice. Test ryde them and you will see the roadster world is unique. The hardest thing to explain and the reason we are all on them. It's not a car..it's not a motorcycle and when you find that sweet spot in between you know. It's the only vehicle out there that watches over you (can be annoying). Safety is a big feature... When your ready go for it....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

So sorry to hear of the officer's loss of life. It is still dangerous, but the Roadster does have a bigger profile. I also have been running my fog lights at night to make us more visible. And we are right there with you on the yellow color. One reason we bought that color ourselves! You will have a blast riding one of these. There is nothing like it!!

Spyder Garage

Default Light me up.

First thing I did with both RT's i've owned was to spend a ton (figure of speach) at Custom Dynamics and Tricled for additional lighting. People in cars actually stay behind thinking I'm a cop or take a hard look going past. Either way, I'm seen. Some of the guys I ride with say I'm lit up like a christmas tree especially from behind with the flashing breaklights. Kinda hard to hit a lit up christmas tree without seeing it first. Now I just have to worry about Stevie Wonder and that singing knucklehead who rides spyders on sidewalks.
    Old - 2012 RTS

New - 2014 RT Limited. Spyderpops Bumpskid. Kott Grills, Bajaron Swaybar and Links, Polaris Shock Stiffeners, Custom Dynamics Brightsides Red and Yellow Fender Lights w/Turn Signal Module, Autozone Mirror LEDs, Custom Dynamics Rear Red Brightsides and HMT Brakelight with Strobe Module, Smoothspyder, Lidlox Handlebar Helmet Locks, Glo ryder 360's for Three Wheels, Pete's Graphic Kit, Mini Trailer USA Shadow.

And Growing!

Spyder Garage

Default Love the yellow

That is the main reason I bought the Yellow, it is very visable. I have had only one incident in a year and a half of riding, and that person would have pulled out in front of a semi, cause he was not looking at all.
    Love the Spyder.

Spyder Garage

Yellow seems to be a good color for visability. Now that I drive one, I tend to notice all the yellow cars and trucks out now. They do stand out from the pack.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Little Stevie...

Quote Originally Posted by BaldEagle View Post
    First thing I did with both RT's i've owned was to spend a ton (figure of speach) at Custom Dynamics and Tricled for additional lighting. People in cars actually stay behind thinking I'm a cop or take a hard look going past. Either way, I'm seen. Some of the guys I ride with say I'm lit up like a christmas tree especially from behind with the flashing breaklights. Kinda hard to hit a lit up christmas tree without seeing it first. Now I just have to worry about Stevie Wonder and that singing knucklehead who rides spyders on sidewalks.
    Is that really a problem? ;-) he only drives race cars, I thought.??

Chas
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

That, and TEXTING DRIVERS are why I no longer have my 105th Anniversary Road King, but a RT Limited instead!

Quote Originally Posted by den1953 View Post
    A young man who grew up here died in a motorcycle accident in California. He was a CHP motorcycle officer out on patrol and a truck pulling a trailer turned in front of him. The two vehicles collided and he was ejected from the bike, killing him. These things keep pushing me ever stronger towards getting a Can AM Spyder RT. The fact that it's wider and more visible to traffic would help but I'm even considering the yellow color so I can stand-out in traffic and be seen. The fact that I'm rolling the dice every time I go out on my two wheel motorcycle is becoming a big issue to me. Add the fact that my 61 year old legs aren't what they used to be backing it up or steadying it for my wife to get on & off. I think the time has come to make the switch.
    3:16

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear about the officer getting killed, the Spyder RTSE6 in Cognac or any other bright color, is more visible for obvious reasons. When the time is right for you to buy, you will not regret it.

If I am behind a tractor trailer on the road , I do not get in there Blind Sight I will look in the mirror so I can see the driver, so he knows that I am behind him/or her.
    Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    sorry to hear about the officer. They are well trained and excellent riders but the road is a hazardous place and it is so often the others who don't abide by the rules... To his family, co-riders and friends.
    As for you..these things make you thing twice. Test ryde them and you will see the roadster world is unique. The hardest thing to explain and the reason we are all on them. It's not a car..it's not a motorcycle and when you find that sweet spot in between you know. It's the only vehicle out there that watches over you (can be annoying). Safety is a big feature... When your ready go for it....
    Deanna777

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default THIS POST

As a former LEO this hits close to the heart, and prayers go out for Him and His family and co-workers.......that being said... Unfortunately ..You can't prevent Stupid.....no matter what color you have, you have near zero protection and had better operate with that in mind.........I hope you do get your Spyder ..............Mikeguyver

Spyder Garage

So sorry to hear of such a tragic accident. Prayers go out to the family and friends of that officer
    Last edited by Tlauden; 08-28-2014 at 10:25 PM.
    Currently Spyder-less, BUT,
    Saving my pennies for a RT with the SM6

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

there are pros and cons --

I find the spyder is safer because it won't tip over if you have poor footing -- however because it is bigger but not as big as a car -- people will judge it as a car and think it is further away than it really is

Yes I take studying issures with safety very seriously -- whether you ride 2 or 3 wheels -- you must believe you are inviisible and ride that way

we don't know all the details about the crash the op listed --

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

When we are out riding and the older riders of the brand that make more noise than forward motion and requires a full black hells angel uniform just like every other rider of the same brand, get these guys away from the other guys and they will open up and start asking ? About spyders and they say when I get to where I can't ride my 2 wheeler any more I mite just get one of those it's all I can do to not say "maybe you should get one now because when you do find out you can't ride your bike anymore it will be to late especially at your age" then there buddy shows up and sees them talking to a spyder rider and makes some educated comment like "those things have a computer in them and it won't let you cut a cookie I hate computers " like they cut cookies on those 1000lbs baggers then on down the road they can't keep up with my wife on the sandy tite stuff o well hope they swallow there pride before they get hurt and can't ride or worse
    2 happy happy spyders

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Prayers going out to his Family. I was told by a friend that is a CHP, The brighter the better to be seen, and at cruising speed to see the scene. Yellow would be my color of choice too.