Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Reliable Dealers and service

Any suggestions on how to tell if a dealer/service location is being honest or just trying to "make more money" off an already expensive Spyder???? Don't get me wrong....I love my 2014 RTS, but being on disability, I have to be cautious!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Could you be more specific as to the situation with the dealer?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Vrooom View Post
    Could you be more specific as to the situation with the dealer?

A little more specific information would be helpful.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Your best bet is to cross check what the dealer is telling you here on Spyderlovers. There is no shortage of opinions here.....

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Spyder dealers are no different from car dealers. Trust your gut feelings, and when in doubt, say no and consult.

May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Spyder Garage

Check the BRP website for a Dealers rating, Platinum/Gold/Silver/no rating. Then ask here for peoples experiences.
    A large part of that rating is from Service and Customer Service, the more complaints about a dealer from consumers the lower their rating. In the state of GA there were 2 Platinum dealers last I checked.
    I highly recommend the dealer in Cartersville, I stay away from the dealer in my signature town, I like to shop at the dealer in Marietta- nice store.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAT

Quote Originally Posted by Hecam17 View Post
    Check the BRP website for a Dealers rating, Platinum/Gold/Silver/no rating. Then ask here for peoples experiences.
    A large part of that rating is from Service and Customer Service, the more complaints about a dealer from consumers the lower their rating. In the state of GA there were 2 Platinum dealers last I checked.
    I highly recommend the dealer in Cartersville, I stay away from the dealer in my signature town, I like to shop at the dealer in Marietta- nice store.
    ......The above statement about dealer RATING has no Relationship ....regarding " HONESTY " , " COMPETENCE " etc......JMHO & experience...........Land Air in Essex Jct Vt......" The Dealer from Hell " have a Platinum rating .....but they have lied to me , charged me for things they were told not to do, and damaged my Spyder for Spite ..............So much for the Platinum rating .....Mikeguyver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ......The above statement about dealer RATING has no Relationship ....regarding " HONESTY " , " COMPETENCE " etc......JMHO & experience...........Land Air in Essex Jct Vt......" The Dealer from Hell " have a Platinum rating .....but they have lied to me , charged me for things they were told not to do, and damaged my Spyder for Spite ..............So much for the Platinum rating .....Mikeguyver
    BRP Platinum ratings have SOMETHING to do with customer ratings... BUT not entirely. It mostly has to do with sales numbers, not only units, but accessories and gear sales as well.
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:

Spyder Garage

Customer complaints to the manufacturer about a dealer have a large bearing on that dealers rating.
    But that rating is not a guarantee of anything, buyer beware, but you have to start somewhere.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

First; you've got to know more about your bike, than the dealer THINKS that you know...
    If he tries to pull a fast one; jump on him hard over it, and he won't try it again.
    Ask LOTS of questions in here, and keep that information in your hip pocket during your discussions with them.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default H ar d to say..!!

Dealers are comprized of many people, dealer may be good or bad due to those peolpe. Dealerships with many brands have additional hurddles. I have worked at all the levels. You have most working on a commision basis or flat rate in the shops so they will tend to push to rasise the bills to make more. The big ones tend to work harder for the better selling brands. So if you can find one with good inventory, well stocked parts (for spyders) and dedicated tech's (again for spyders) your chances are good they will be honest and fair. Still only a guideline..... Sometimes you just have to ask around..one of the reasons we are here.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Spyderlovers is my go to resource...

Since I am soooo not mechanical and have to trust that the service dept is being honest (and the truth is some ARE NOT..and some don't really know or care about great customer service) I rely heavily on Spyderlovers input. I have learned to post the situation...get the input (hey then I even can go to the service mgr and sound like I know SOMETHING). And if it requires I have been know to travel many hours to get to a good dealer. For example, we have a new dealer for Spyders only 1 1/2 hrs. from me (prior to I was traveling 5 hrs one way) and for obvious reasons I am very excited...but very cautious. I have called and talked to them twice, talked to others who have already gone (favorable remarks) so tomorrow morning I will drive in and actually experience them. Studly is scheduled for 13k service...plus the tire eating trailer is going to be placed in their hands (will let you know what happens there)...I soooo agree with Erick's comment of trust your gut.
    Yep I totally rely on opinions I get from here....like when I broke down a couple years ago in TN..there was a dealer 30 miles from where I sat...took time to get on here...immediate feedback was NO NONO...but here is where to go...so I took that advise and the rollback/roadside assist was 189 miles to that dealer. BUT I could not have been more pleased. When roadside said but there is a dealer only 30 miles from your location and I said here are the reviews...no issue in hauling my Spyder and my butt the distance.
    So bring on your ?'s....lots of experts and opinions here ...then you trust your gut, decide what works for you and keep us posted.
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default REALLY !!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    First; you've got to know more about your bike, than the dealer THINKS that you know... ....Bob , that generally gets you labeled as as a SMART*SS ......and they really LOVE you after that
    If he tries to pull a fast one; jump on him hard over it, and he won't try it again. .....Yes Bob that's just what I did .....Sooooooo they got pissed off and overfilled my Spyder with OIL that LOOKED more like MOLASSES .....But I caught that ......Called the owner and told Him what happened ....He denied it was even possible and inferred I was lying.........Big mis-take on His part.......In this internet world you can find out ANYTHING .........I've been to His house ........I'll leave the rest up to your own imagination.
    Ask LOTS of questions in here, and keep that information in your hip pocket during your discussions with them.
    ...AFTER READING MY COMMENTS ABOVE Bob,.... you can deal with things your way and I'll deal with them my way............Mikeguyver
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 08-27-2014 at 01:03 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly1952 View Post
    Any suggestions on how to tell if a dealer/service location is being honest or just trying to "make more money" off an already expensive Spyder???? Don't get me wrong....I love my 2014 RTS, but being on disability, I have to be cautious!!

Meansville is kinda out of the loop for Spyder dealers it appears.

Best reference is always word of mouth so try to talk with other Spyder Riders.

Closest to you that I can recommend is Mountain Motorsports in Conyers, Georgia. Missy Schmeder is the service manager there and she has whipped the department into great shape in the short time she has been there. They have two Spyder techs (three including her) and one has the highest factory rating.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ...AFTER READING MY COMMENTS ABOVE Bob,.... you can deal with things your way and I'll deal with them my way............Mikeguyver
    What exactly; are yout trying to say?

Is it better to NOT know what's going on?

I don't ask a question; without having at least a pretty idea, of what to expect for an answer!

Spyder Garage

Post your concerns and what the dealer told you and we'll see if we can help ya

Bill

2013 RSS Neutron Green
    BRP HID's and Fogs
    Custom Belt Tension
    2014 side panels
    HMF Exhaust
    K&N air filter
    Bajaron sway bar and links

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    Meansville is kinda out of the loop for Spyder dealers it appears.

Best reference is always word of mouth so try to talk with other Spyder Riders.

Closest to you that I can recommend is Mountain Motorsports in Conyers, Georgia. Missy Schmeder is the service manager there and she has whipped the department into great shape in the short time she has been there. They have two Spyder techs (three including her) and one has the highest factory rating.

Thanks Double Trouble......I bought my Spyder @ Byron Motorsports in Byron. I feel good about the dealership so far...guess I am being a little paranoid!!!! I was told that the 3000 break in service could run from $180.00 to $400.00 depending on codes from computer (including Valve adjustment if necessary). But should only be $180.00 under "normal" circumstances... I will keep Mountain Motorsports in Conyers in mind if I have a problem in Byron...... Thanks again for the info. BTW.... Meansville is a little south of Griffin, Ga.!!! LOL

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billrob71 View Post
    Post your concerns and what the dealer told you and we'll see if we can help ya

Just concerned about what service prices are going to be on 3000 mile break in service.....

Spyder Garage

Just concerned about what service prices are going to be on 3000 mile break in service.....
    The ball park seems to be right around $300-350. I have seen as low as $136 and as high as $450.

The upside: The next oil change service is either after another 9300 miles or once a year--which ever comes first. No valve adjustment service is needed on the 1330 ACE engine either.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    The ball park seems to be right around $300-350. I have seen as low as $136 and as high as $450.

The upside: The next oil change service is either after another 9300 miles or once a year--which ever comes first. No valve adjustment service is needed on the 1330 ACE engine either.

Thanks for the info!!!! Seems like other than oil and filter change and visual inspection, the computers on the 2014 basically tells what other service needs to be done?????

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Your best bet is to cross check what the dealer is telling you here on Spyderlovers. There is no shortage of opinions here.....
    Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Spyder Garage

Thanks Double Trouble......I bought my Spyder @ Byron Motorsports in Byron. I feel good about the dealership so far...guess I am being a little paranoid!!!! I was told that the 3000 break in service could run from $180.00 to $400.00 depending on codes from computer (including Valve adjustment if necessary). But should only be $180.00 under "normal" circumstances... I will keep Mountain Motorsports in Conyers in mind if I have a problem in Byron...... Thanks again for the info. BTW.... Meansville is a little south of Griffin, Ga.!!! LOL

That sounds like a reasonable answer from a responsible dealer: giving you a low and high price for a service. Don't be afraid to ask all the questions that come up, and don't let them give you a dirty look if you sound like you are being inquisitive. You have all the right to ask about the performance of your machine and what they can AND have to do for you.

And like MurphyBrown said: when in doubt, Spyderlovers.com it!

Previously owned:

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the info!!!! Seems like other than oil and filter change and visual inspection, the computers on the 2014 basically tells what other service needs to be done?????
    There is a published maintenance schedule that lists what is checked/changed/adjusted by interval. You should be able to find it in your owners manual in the maintenance section.

Clifford Fargason
    2013 Spyder RTL
    2007 Royal Star Venture

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A real quick synopsis...
    servicing the RT.jpg

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    A real quick synopsis...
    servicing the RT.jpg
    Thank you Bob!!!!! Where did you get this info?? I love that comparison!!!!! Would like to see more info like that!!