Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Heat issues and gear.

To those of you with heat issues, what kind of riding pants are you wearing when you ride? Just wondering if a majority of those reporting heat issues are wearing street clothes while riding their spyders. I wonder if BRP considered the heat to be fine, this still being a motorcycle, expecting riders to wear armored gear when riding which would help negate the heat issues as Ive noticed the heat from my RSS to be much less when wearing kevlar jeans vs street jeans.

The spyder attracts a lot of first time riders and i see plenty of pics of people riding without armored riding gear, not meant to be an ATGATT thread but something to think about concerning heat issues.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You make a very good point. But you may likely get a lot of flak from the flip flop & shorts crowd.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    You make a very good point. But you may likely get a lot of flak from the flip flop & shorts crowd.
    Ive ridden in street jeans i wont deny it. However i wonder just how much of the heat issues are caused less by the bike, but made worse by peoples clothing choice when riding.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Whitetail View Post
    Ive ridden in street jeans i wont deny it. However i wonder just how much of the heat issues are caused less by the bike, but made worse by peoples clothing choice when riding.
    You are absolutely correct and I usually questions people on what they wear when I hear complaints of heat. There are a lot of first time motorcycle riders who don't realize that motorcycles are hot because you are sitting on the engine.
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

You are absolutely correct and I usually questions people on what they wear when I hear complaints of heat. There are a lot of first time motorcycle riders who don't realize that motorcycles are hot because you are sitting on the engine.
    Well, i think theres only so many places heat can go, and i think a lot of The spyders problems are caused by the body work covering the motor. I had two dry rotted hoses i blame on the heat under the tupperware.

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Really

Do your Kevlar jeans have armor in the inner thigh? That would appear that most are complaining. I usually wear riding pants and riding boots and that does a great job of deflecting heat for me.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Default Have to agree..!!

now I ryde with regular jeans and lace on shoes, can not wear boots any more but regardless have no problems. Agree that in colder weather wearing chaps helps considerably with the heat. Again many complaints come from people that have never ryden a motorcycle wish they would ryde on the hood of their car and tell me there is no heat...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    Do your Kevlar jeans have armor in the inner thigh? That would appear that most are complaining. I usually wear riding pants and riding boots and that does a great job of deflecting heat for me.
    Ill double check but i think they do, and it seems the RS just cents all its heat out the top of those two side panels.

Spyder Garage

Ill double check but i think they do, and it seems the RS just cents all its heat out the top of those two side panels.
    I agree with proper riding gear
    But that will not stop the gas from boiling or the gas fumes
    It will not stop your Spyder from catching on fire
    These bikes run hotter under all that Tupperware and need a place for the heat to escape
    Just my $.02
    Now 2014 RT Limited Cognac
    Was 2008 GS SM5

Don Garbarino

Cup Holder
    GPS locking holder
    Mud flap
    Modified KNOTT grill
    Phone holder and charger
    Trailer hitch
    Dual air horn
    Auxiliary fuse box with relays
    Heated clothing controller
    volt/oil pressure gauge
    Sequential signals in mirror
    Tri Axis Handle bars
    Baja Ron anti sway bar/heim links
    shorty antenna
    And many more

Spyder Garage

I never wear special gear on a Spyder. I have never had a heat problem. My 2010 did not have a hot glovebox, or overheat anyone on the bike, nor did it melt plastic bits under the tupperware, nor boil gas. My 2014 is even better. How in the WORLD do clothes have ANY impact on a Spyder that has a heat problem???????? Perhaps let you not notice your ride is on fire??

Really??
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

RE: Kevlar jeans--The two pair I have are lined in the knees, upper thighs, and butt. No inner thigh protection to speak of.

I always wear leather harness boots for riding.

This summer we had nice weather--more days over 70 degrees than I have seen in the 13 years living here. My riding wear has been mostly Kevlar jeans. Occasionally, I would wear just regular jeans. For colder or rainy days, I have added the leather riding chaps.

Have not worn my Firstgear riding pants since the temps climbed over 40 degrees.

Never had a problem with heat issues here--but it is Alaska after all.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I wear above-ankle hiking boots with heavy socks, jeans and leather chaps over those.

My short rides are heat-trouble free, but an hour on the freeway in 80 degree weather and my right foot feels like a baked potato and I'm constantly searching for differing locations on the running board to get some relief

and yes, I also smell fuel every time I stop

2013 RTS
    - Duffer
    Camano Island, Wa
    2013 RTS SE5

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

i wear full gear, pants, gloves, jacket. yes it is hot but i know every time i get on my bike i will under my own power get off & walk away when i park it.
    i saw that justin jerkoff photo of him & his buds in shorts & t's, i think he will look real cool in a wheel chair.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There's no doubt that the Spyder opens up the possibility of motorcycling, to folks who have been reluctant to "take te plunge" in the past.
    Sometimes; the lack of perspective from new riders, can lead to expectations that won't match reality.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I'll just say...the 2013 ST was so hot it melted things under Tupperware.....including spark plug wires falling apart.....heat is 90% gone with all that Mark and BRP have done.....right foot still really hot....usually just move foot....but stop and go will almost get me....I wear jeans...and high top leather boots...so some of us complainers wear gear

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You're only a complainer if you're not right...
    Unfortunately: you were!

Glad to hear that your tireless efforts (largely from Mark! ); made your bike rideable!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post

I never wear special gear on a Spyder. I have never had a heat problem. My 2010 did not have a hot glovebox, or overheat anyone on the bike, nor did it melt plastic bits under the tupperware, nor boil gas. My 2014 is even better. How in the WORLD do clothes have ANY impact on a Spyder that has a heat problem???????? Perhaps let you not notice your ride is on fire??

Really??
    He isn't trying to say that wearing proper gear on a Spyder that has heat problems will fix the problem but that there are people that do not wear proper gear and, because they are hot, they think that there is something wrong with their Spyders.
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The OP was not implying that gear choice would mitigate the heat issues that Spyders have. No matter what I wear, the Spyder will get just as hot.

However I've ridden in sneakers and shorts for a short jaunt to the store, and holy frying pan - my feet and legs were roasting! However I have also ridden in riding boots and jeans (my usual attire), and while I could tell there was heat, I could ride all day long - stop and go seems to be worse though. So long story short, yes, choice of gear does have an impact.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

I do agree with that - shorts and sandals are not appropriate driving apparel. However, I consider the 2013 heat issue a major concern, and liability for all concerned - wanting/waiting to see it properly addressed, and not hidden away - even though the problem does not directly affect me. It does, however, reflect poorly on the brand and value of our toys.. JMHO....
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    The OP was not implying that gear choice would mitigate the heat issues that Spyders have. No matter what I wear, the Spyder will get just as hot.

However I've ridden in sneakers and shorts for a short jaunt to the store, and holy frying pan - my feet and legs were roasting! However I have also ridden in riding boots and jeans (my usual attire), and while I could tell there was heat, I could ride all day long - stop and go seems to be worse though. So long story short, yes, choice of gear does have an impact.
    I did some testing with both of my RTs...
    The 2010: wearing JUST shorts and shoes on a 90 degree day, I could feel that it was a bit warmer than when ATGATTed-up. It wasn't uncomfortable, and since I don't ride like that normally that way; I chickened out!

The 2014: same conditions; I was actually a bit cooler than I was with gear... Again; I cut the testing short!

Spyder Garage

Bob, I have little doubt that, if pressed, most of us have done that too, just not on long trips... The facts are that the 2012s really don't have a heat problem, my fully encased BMW K didn't have a heat problem, and the 2014s don't have a heat problem.. Hmmmm, are we following this?

You may recall the fully open Hardley TriGlide had a serious heat problem in 2012 & 2013, requiring $2K in farkles to make them rideable. Hardley really hasn't done much to address that problem either. But like our 2014s, the problem seems to have gone away. Whither it's the emissions requirements (one would think a California bike would be REALLY bad), or a mechanical design issue, the Spyder's problem causes things to melt and burn, raising the notch higher. We also know that if BRP acknowledges this, the floodgate would burst.

What I would like to see, would be some threads that state that some change/fix initiated by BRP is fixing the issue - such as the tupperware changes for the RSS.. Just my opinion.
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Regarding the Harleys...
    "Project Rushmore" is an engine with liquid-cooled heads. (Sort of! They cooled the exhaust port)

Guess where the radiators are?
    Down in the fairing lowers...RIGHT if front of the rider's feet!!

Spyder Garage

They only ride GoldWings!

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

it seems the RS just cents all its heat out the top of those two side panels.
    How many miles on the RS? Maybe your 'Y' gaskets are burnt out...
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    They only ride GoldWings!

Jack
    I really like my Spyder, but I love my Goldwing...