Spyder Garage

Default iPod Connectivity

I am interested in being able to control an mp3 player's power, volume, and song selection via the bike's handlebar audio controls. It's my understanding that an iPod device is the best way to go, but I don't want to sink alot of money into one. Does anyone know if there is an adapter available that would make an iPod Shuffle compatible with the 30 pin cable supplied by BRP, and would it do what I want it to do?

Thanks in advance.

Spyder Garage

I have two older iPods, one a 64GB & the other an 82GB, both of which work fine with the cable available from BRP. I can control them from the handlebars with no problem It is my understanding that Apple changed from a 30 pin to some other configuration for their most recent devices. Who knows why they did. An MP3 player, which uses a different cable, cannot be controlled from the handlebars. Best you can do is set the MP3 to shuffle & plug it in. Hope this is helpful, & good luck.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Thank you. I have been using a non-Apple mp3 player through the audio jack, without being able to control it remotely. I can also use my GPS unit's media player and control things via the GPS unit. There are adapters out there that will allow me, I believe, to plug the iPod Shuffle into the BRP supplied 30 pin cable...I just don't know if that will enable the remote control feature via the handlebar's audio controls.
    MEP
    ​2019 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MEP View Post
    I am interested in being able to control an mp3 player's power, volume, and song selection via the bike's handlebar audio controls. It's my understanding that an iPod device is the best way to go, but I don't want to sink alot of money into one. Does anyone know if there is an adapter available that would make an iPod Shuffle compatible with the 30 pin cable supplied by BRP, and would it do what I want it to do?

Thanks in advance.

The BRP 30 pin connector works well for my I Phone 4S, my 30 GB I Pod and my older-than-dirt, 120 GB almost original I Pod.

With every device I can change the play list, advance to the next song in the queue, control volume. Changing the play list is tricky but once you get the hang of it things are pretty easy.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

if you just look around you can pick up a 4th generation Ipod touch for around $40. Really not much of an investment and you can put allof your music on there and just use it for your spyder. that's waht I did. Problem solved. I have a feeling any adapter cable you find to go between an mp3 player and this apple connection is probably going to cost you at least half that and not allow you to control it on the handlebars.

Spyder Garage

@bcoulter19...you're probably right.
    MEP
    ​2019 F3 Limited

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I would hit ebay or amazon . Maybe even go to a local pawn shop and seee what you can find. I actually got mine in scottsboro al. at a place called unclaimed baggage, where they get stuff from the airlines and then clean it up and resale it. 8gb 4th gen ipod touch for $36.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MEP View Post

Thanks in advance.
    I recently bought an iPod shuffle for $50. Not knowing any better it's an iPod right! To my dismay there is no way in hell that will ever work the way I want. It will work as a MP3 player but cannot be control from the handlebar controls. It has nothing but the 4 conductor headphone jack. Every is done through that jack and there is no adapter except for the usb one that comes with it. The store was nice about it and took it back.

What is needed is someone with a good understanding of the Apple iCrap products to tell us which products and generation will work. I was looking at the ads for used and have no idea what I am looking for. Also what defects are acceptable. For example I have seen several ipods advertised "works good except the button does not work." Is that important or not.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

[QUOTEbillybovinegenerationsn s3759]I recenttheought an iPod shuffle for $50. Not knowing any better it's an iPod right! To my dismay there is no way in hell that will ever work the way I want. It will work as a MP3 player but cannot be control from the handlebar controls. It has nothing but the 4 conductor headphone jack. Every is done through that jack and there is no adapter except for the usb one that comes with it. The store was nice about it and took it back.

What is needed is someone with a good understanding of the Apple iCrap products to tell us which products and generation will work. I was looking at the ads for used and have no idea what I am looking for. Also what defects are acceptable. For example I have seen several ipods advertised "works good except the button does not work." Is that important or not. [/QUOTE]

My 2014 RT S SE6 manual says that the following iPod devices are compatible...

Touch 2nd 3rd 4th generations
    Nano 5th 6th generations

I was initially looking to boot strap the cheaper Shuffle via a 30 pin - USB adapter, but instead I am going to take bcoulter19's advice and shop for a used/refurbished device on the BRP manual list that uses the 30 pin supplied cable.

Thanks everyone.

Registered Users GrumpySteelMan's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

160GB ipod classic works fine

Spyder Garage

Default My Issue Resolved

Just ordered a refurbished 4th generation iPod Touch. Following up on bcoulter19's advice, that seems to have been the best option given what I wanted and how much I was willing to spend. Thanks again, everyone, for the information and suggestions.

Spyder Garage

Default iPod Connectivity

Ok, I went looking and found what I think is the info everyone is searching for, I tried compiling it all in one location here for easy reference.

All of the following devices use the Apple 30 pin connection;

iPod Classic- 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th generations
    iPod mini- 1st and 2nd generations
    iPod Nano- 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th generations
    iPod touch- 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th generations

iPad 1st generation
    iPad 2
    iPad 3rd generation

iPhone 1st generation
    iPhone 3G
    iPhone 3GS
    iPhone 4
    iPhone 4S

The following devices use Apples new 8 pin connector, also referenced to as the "lightning Connector".
    - Side note, Apple does sells a 30pin - 8pin adapter, reading other posts throughout the forum it seems as if these off brand adapters are hit and miss with the connectivity to the spyder, I cannot say for sure though. Maybe someone with experience with these adapters could add some feedback.

iPhone 5
    iPhone 5s
    iPhone 5c

iPod touch 5th generation

iPad Air
    iPad 4th generation

iPad mini 1st and 2nd generation

I couldn't really find any info on the shuffles, but if I remember correctly the 1st gen shuffle connected just like modern day thumb drives do by plugging directly into the USB port, after that I believe apple switched to the cable that sync's through the headphone jack. Also iPod Classic 1st and 2nd generations are pre-30pin, these 2 generations will work using the headphone jack only, so they kinda fall into the same category as the shuffles.

Hope this helps, as I mentioned I used several sources to get this info, if someone has seen an error please comment and I will correct this post

Hope this helps!!!
    Tyler

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Tlauden; 08-30-2014 at 08:53 PM. Reason: typo
    Currently Spyder-less, BUT,
    Saving my pennies for a RT with the SM6

Spyder Garage

Nice EXTREMELY informative post Tlauden!

Thanks!

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post

Thanks!

Bob
    Thanks!!!
    Currently Spyder-less, BUT,
    Saving my pennies for a RT with the SM6

Spyder Garage

I have two older iPods that I use for my Spyder, my SO's Prius & my Truck. They work just fine for that. My truck is a 2011, and my RT is a 2014 - all require the 30 pin connector. Plus, since I had the 2010 RT when Apple dropped the 30 pin connector, I bought two new Shuffles with the old connector - stashed for future needs.

I also have the Apple adaptor to convert the newer devices to the 30 pin connector, but the added connector is not very robust, and I would worry about it on a long trip.

I have purchased a USB plug for my power outlet, and use that to charge my phone or iPad on trips (new connector)
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks

Thanks, Tyler, for taking the time to search out and put all of that information together.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post

Thanks!

Bob
    Thanks for the information.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Fyi info to share the standard brp ipod dock is 30pin, & works goodImageUploadedByTapatalk1409527691.523795.jpgthe 30pin to lightning adapter fits and works my iphone5 np on my ST

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Question Connection cable

Hi there,
    I am relative new here, just bought my Spyder RT from 2011.
    Now wanted to connect my Ipod but there is no connection cable with the machine.
    I managed to find it via Amazon but, guess what, they do not ship to Holland
    Anyone out there who can provide my usefull info on how to get this darn cable?
    Thanks in advance,
    Cas

btw, love the bike, just did a 2K mile trip without any hassle
    Went to visit the European Bike Week, lost of Harleys and only one RT

Quote Originally Posted by Tlauden View Post
    Ok, I went looking and found what I think is the info everyone is searching for, I tried compiling it all in one location here for easy reference.

All of the following devices use the Apple 30 pin connection;

iPod Classic- 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th generations
    iPod mini- 1st and 2nd generations
    iPod Nano- 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th generations
    iPod touch- 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th generations

Hope this helps, as I mentioned I used several sources to get this info, if someone has seen an error please comment and I will correct this post

Hope this helps!!!
    Tyler

2020 F3S , Matte black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You might have some luck finding the cable on EBay...
    Good Luck!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks, thought about that one but..... Ebay is down right now So will have to try later.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    You might have some luck finding the cable on EBay...
    Good Luck!
    2020 F3S , Matte black

Spyder Garage

Is there a wiring diagram available by any chance?
    Then I can simply "cook" my own cable
    2020 F3S , Matte black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CasN View Post
    Is there a wiring diagram available by any chance?
    Then I can simply "cook" my own cable
    Building a cable should be easy except I have not seen a wiring diagram for the iPod cable. 7 pin DIN connector and a ipod cable from the dollar store would be all you need for parts for a 2011 and later cable. Maybe someone can come up with the right info.

2018 F3 LIMITED