Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Somewhat happy!!

Well l haven't posted for a while so here goes, l have now 2500 miles on my RTs se6 and still have throttle issues, haven't seen anyone else complaining, my bike must be the only one. I also have that hot rubber smell after a long run, the belt I'm told. Will it stop after more miles?? About handling my bike has plenty of body roll it feels like it trying to throw me off. I tried to keep up with a HD trike yesterday it was all l could do! Now l do really like my bike for comfort and storage, just get my other issues fixed and then l can say l love it!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Haven't seen those problems with my RT - hope they are solved quickly! The 2014 really IS so much better than my old 2010 RT!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Do you have the Sway bar mod installed?
    I'm reading it's the "fix" for that problem... Getting mine done tomorrow.

I think it's all about suspension. I'm a big guy so may need to upgrade my shocks. That should help as I have similar issues in the twisties.

Throttle... Not sure on that one.
    It's computer controlled (I believe). This might be a long shot, but try disconnecting your battery for 30 secs or so.
    I've had issues with cars before that have been fixed by resetting the ECU - disconnecting / connecting the battery.

Good Luck.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What's the deal that's going on with the throttle?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Dennis,

Here are some things you can do to tame the twisties, and make them more manageable. (You should definitely be able to keep up with any trike.) If you are a "larger than average" guy (as I am), then the following items become even more important.

• As you lean into the curves, also lean forward a bit to lower the center of gravity. (Think of it as leaning over the inside handle bar.)
    • Try a little more air in the front tires. I also have a 2013 RT, and I keep them at 20 psi, which seems to work better for me.
    • Get the BajaRon Anti-sway bar. It really will reduce that "throwing" sensation and allow you to take the curves a bit faster.
    • As zamfield said, if you need even more stability you can upgrade the front shocks - especially if you are on the "larger side".
    • Find a dealer who does the laser alignment procedure. That can help if your spyder is out of alignment (and many are).
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Bummer..!!

if you are dealing with only one place for your problems you may have to try another. Don't remember your throttle problem but those fly by wire types can give you problems. As fir the rolling, check your rear suspension. If it is too soft it will tend to throw your weight into the turn....
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I had the burning rubber smell for a while too. Don't remember when it went away though. And no, I'm not talking about my 2013.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

The throttle problem is that when you cut the throttle to shift it doesn't drop the rpm fast enough, so it reevs up about 500 rpm when you pull in clutch. Yes l believe a new sway bar would help, but out here in the sticks l don't know anybody who could install it. I'm about 200 lbs so maybe if l work on other suspension parts it would help.. By the way l couldn't out corner the tri glide but when we passed slow cars l ran up on him every time.

Spyder Garage

If it is the SE6 like you said in the first post of this thread, don't let off the throttle on up shifts. Keep the throttle rolled back and just hit the paddle.

John

Edit - sorry, just saw your mention about pulling in the clutch, that makes it a SM6.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by denniswheat1 View Post
    The throttle problem is that when you cut the throttle to shift it doesn't drop the rpm fast enough, so it reevs up about 500 rpm when you pull in clutch. Yes l believe a new sway bar would help, but out here in the sticks l don't know anybody who could install it. I'm about 200 lbs so maybe if l work on other suspension parts it would help.. By the way l couldn't out corner the tri glide but when we passed slow cars l ran up on him every time.
    Dennis,

As for the sway bar, I wouldn't let that stop you. It's not very technical and it comes with explicit instructions. Just about any mechanic, or anyone who works on vehicles could install it - or your dealer could install it if he's close by.

With respect to the throttle, things are starting to get a little confusing. In your first message above, you said you had an RTS SE6, which would be a 2014 model with a semi-automatic transmission. But in your profile you state that you have a 2013 RTS SE5. In your post above you talked about pulling in the clutch, which means that you must have either a 2013 SM5 or a 2014 SM6. All of these are different, so if you can be clear about which model you have, there will probably be someone here who can get you pointed in the right direction with respect to the problem.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default sorry

I noticed l did put RTs se6 but l have a sm6. So has anybody else have this throttle issue, l have rode all types of motorcycles for 55years and never had this problem shifting!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The throttle problem is that when you cut the throttle to shift it doesn't drop the rpm fast enough, so it reevs up about 500 rpm when you pull in clutch.
    You've actually got ME confused now...

Is it an "ESSIE", or an "ESSEM"?

Your first post mentions "ESSIE"; yet now you're talking about the clutch...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

...l couldn't out corner the tri glide but when we passed slow cars l ran up on him every time.
    When you're pacing along behind ANY Harley, whether passing cars or any other circumstance, never EVER suddenly use FULL THROTTLE! You'll be risking a rear-ender every time!
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by missouriboy View Post
    When you're pacing along behind ANY Harley, whether passing cars or any other circumstance, never EVER suddenly use FULL THROTTLE! You'll be risking a rear-ender every time!
    I agree! From personnel experience, A Harley custom bagger with all the custom paint (it was really sharp), some kind of aftermarket exhaust that was not extreamly loud but still had some sound to it and lots and lots of chrome. This dude pulls up beside me at a red light and is making every effort to ignore me as I give him a wave. He just sat there bliping the throttle so everyone could notice him and listen to his pipes. He takes off like a bat out of heck and I just smile and shake my head thinking what kind of ego does this guy have. I smoothly come up to speed with him and we both happen to be going the same direction taking an on ramp to the interstate and again when he sees me in his mirrors he floors it on the ramp! OK, everyone has their limits. I had just passed mine with his attitude. It's on. I paced him on the ramp not letting him pull away, His arm was twisted way down on the throttle and he kept glancing in his right mirror. Still pacing. (ok folks, sorry but I had to do this. Almost no traffic, good visibility.) He's doing all it will do and I am still pacing him a little closer than normal admiring the back of his bagger. End of the ramp onto the highway. My '10 RT'S is in it's sweet spot in 3th gear getting ready for 4th. You all know what I'm talking about. It's time. I pin the throttle to see what will happen, as stated above, Man, I had to swing left in a hurry and let the 998 out of 4th gear at about 95 or so. Sure, this guy probably would have blown by me had we stayed with it probably at around 105 or so but he didn't know that. Plus the wind was bout to tear him off the bike with that little 3 inch windscreen on the fairing. But what he did know is the Spyder eat his lunch. Two points to this story. #1 Do be careful when accelerating behind baggers of any kind, you will run up on them If your not careful. #2 point, don't worry, you can take them if you really wanted to so just let them have their fun and be safe, Yes, I shouldnt have done it but I couldn't help myself. Don't do as I did, (but it was fun).
    Happy Spyderlovers

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default A couple suggestions...

Well l haven't posted for a while so here goes, l have now 2500 miles on my RTs se6 and still have throttle issues, haven't seen anyone else complaining, my bike must be the only one. I also have that hot rubber smell after a long run, the belt I'm told. Will it stop after more miles?? About handling my bike has plenty of body roll it feels like it trying to throw me off. I tried to keep up with a HD trike yesterday it was all l could do! Now l do really like my bike for comfort and storage, just get my other issues fixed and then l can say l love it!!
    Get the Bajaron Swaybar with helm joints installed and then get the Rolo Laser Alignment. Squared Away is putting together a trip through OR into WA to do alignments Oyster Run weekend. They are sponsors on this sight...
    Check tire pressure...front tires need to be spot on the same (well they can be a very little diff). Every '14 I've seen as well as mine can out maneuver the HD trike...so some tweaking on bike? maybe a little on ryding style? and you will be "smoking" those other trikes.
    And to mention that some of the early '14s had bad batch of tires....in my case they were "cupping"...others mention that their '14 tires were "out of round".. In those cases they were a BRP warranty item.
    Hope you find the answer and soon...so you can get busy picking bugs out of your teeth from the big grins as you get all that ryding in...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by murphybrown View Post
    Hope you find the answer and soon...so you can get busy picking bugs out of your teeth from the big grins as you get all that ryding in...

biker.jpg

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

OK, so here's my story, the one that prompted my response to Dennis above...

When I first got my Spyder and was on our first or second Group Ride with Harleys, I was third in line behind two of them cruising on a 2-lane 55-limit hwy when we came up behind a car tailgating a semi-tractor running light (no trailer) doing just under the limit. The leader signaled left and I could hear them shifting down, so I went down to 4th gear too, and away they went. Being still new to the machine I thought I'd have to really get on it to keep up with those Legendary Hogs! Well, by the time we reached that semi I was nearly bumping Harley #2 and had to swing left and go by him too, and then slow down some to let him stay in position. Damn! I had almost creamed my friend and his wife (we were all riding double). I learned a bit about these machines that day...

Later, on another such ride with the exact same positioning, the leader (with a souped-up machine) decided to take off from a rural stop sign full-bore, just for fun I guess. I easily passed #2 Harley in 2nd gear and was gaining on #1 in 3rd & 4th, when it was time to shut down the race. When we got home, #2 said "Wow that thing is Hot, I bet you could take #1 too!" But I'm not so sure, and we've never tried it.
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default SM6

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    You've actually got ME confused now...

Is it an "ESSIE", or an "ESSEM"?

Your first post mentions "ESSIE"; yet now you're talking about the clutch...
    Yes it is a SM6 made the mistake when posting the first time, now whish l bought a SE6, well thanks you guys for all the suggestions. I'll get things figured out down the road, l hope to get to a dealer this Friday to complain about throttle and change oil. It's to bad l don't know any other spyders riders in my area to ride and compare with , so solo rideing it is.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by murphybrown View Post
    Get the Bajaron Swaybar with helm joints installed and then get the Rolo Laser Alignment. Squared Away is putting together a trip through OR into WA to do alignments Oyster Run weekend. They are sponsors on this sight...

I had Squared Away do an alignment at SITR and it made a unexpected amount of difference! It tracks so much easier and improved the handling. I highly recommended it even if you don't think you need it.

Then just last week I put on the BajaRon Anit-Sway Bar and links (did it myself, you can too)...It's an entirely superior ryde compared to before SITR! There's no more swaying in the twisties or in any higher speed turn... Both my wife and I felt the difference immediately ryding 2 up. Now it's sooo much more fun and she doesn't feel like she's going to get thrown off going in or whipped off coming out of the turns.
    I just wish I hadn't waited so long to have these things done!!!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I will get the sway bar done and the alignment done in the future. By the way l was at SITR , should have done the alignment then!! O well always late at getting things done.

Spyder Garage

Can't help with sm6 because I don't have. I've got the sm5 which is higher revved than the sm6 and don't have that issue. Sm6 is lower revved seems it would be a less likely issue. Ther has got to be someone else out there with a sm6 that can share their experience. Hard to believe rolling off the throttle and rpm increases. But u would know your driving

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default throttle not right

Quote Originally Posted by bmccaffrey View Post
    Can't help with sm6 because I don't have. I've got the sm5 which is higher revved than the sm6 and don't have that issue. Sm6 is lower revved seems it would be a less likely issue. Ther has got to be someone else out there with a sm6 that can share their experience. Hard to believe rolling off the throttle and rpm increases. But u would know your driving
    Its hard to explain, thought it was me but two other riders rode my bike and had the same problem. The rpms do not drop off fast enough, if you pull clutch lever in before it has time to drop off, it of course reeve's up. If you shift slowly you can make a smooth shift, but speeding up getting on freeway l go threw gears fast and there's the over reev problem. I shift between 3500 and 4000 most the time sometimes lower. I can live with it but something new and expensive as this should be working right.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Have yout tried simply working on the timing of your movements? Every bike behaves a little bit differently...
    Start a bit slower with your shifts, and ramp up the speed as you find the timing sequence that works best for you.

"Different"; is different, than "Broke."
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 08-26-2014 at 10:39 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Have yout tried simply working on the timing of your movements? Every bike behaves a little bit differently...
    Start a bit slower with your shifts, and ramp up the speed as you find the timing sequence that works best for you.
    The throttle and feel is different -- I find I had to really concentrate to get the '11 SM5 smooth so my passenger wouldn't feel any jerkiness. Different than my Gold Wing or V-Strom. Now it's second nature. Part of the pleasure and challenge of an SM versus an SE. On the SM5 the clutch begins to disengage very early in the stroke of the slave piston, that is, at the very beginning of pulling on the lever. By the time the lever is part way pulled, it's totally disengaged. So it makes it easy to hit higher rev's because you don't expect the clutch to disengage that fast. Similarly, when you start out from a stop, the clutch does not begin to engage until the lever is almost fully released. I've had the slave completely rebuilt for a bad o-ring and it behaved the same way before and after. So I think that's the design. The tech agrees. Not saying your bike does not have a problem or behave in a unique way. Just saying it does take time to really smooth out the shifting on these bikes. Haven't ridden an SM6 (they are pretty rare I think) so I can't speak with any first-hand knowledge on those. But I wouldn't be surprised if they behave the same way.

RT and Gold Wing States & Provinces

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gypsy_100 View Post
    The throttle and feel is different -- I find I had to really concentrate to get the '11 SM5 smooth so my passenger wouldn't feel any jerkiness. Different than my Gold Wing or V-Strom. Now it's second nature. Part of the pleasure and challenge of an SM versus an SE. On the SM5 the clutch begins to disengage very early in the stroke of the slave piston, that is, at the very beginning of pulling on the lever. By the time the lever is part way pulled, it's totally disengaged. So it makes it easy to hit higher rev's because you don't expect the clutch to disengage that fast. Similarly, when you start out from a stop, the clutch does not begin to engage until the lever is almost fully released. I've had the slave completely rebuilt for a bad o-ring and it behaved the same way before and after. So I think that's the design. The tech agrees. Not saying your bike does not have a problem or behave in a unique way. Just saying it does take time to really smooth out the shifting on these bikes. Haven't ridden an SM6 (they are pretty rare I think) so I can't speak with any first-hand knowledge on those. But I wouldn't be surprised if they behave the same way.
    Yes you are right about the clutch reaction it works as you say, I'll keep trying to time my clutch pull a little slower after throttle reduction, got to get timing right as they say! Maybe that's just the way they programed the beast. Will mention it to dealer tech when l go in for 3000 mile oil change.