Spyder Garage

Default Georgia to canada and a little beyond

Since retiring in 07, I have made 3 long tours of about 8000 miles to the west coast with side tours along the way. Bikes were Goldwing, Honda st1300 and a spyder 2011 RTS. I have ridden in all the lower 48 and when I traded my 2011RTS for a 2014 RTL I decided to tour in western Canada, Alberta and BC. I prefer to travel alone, 2 out of 3 previous were alone, but since I will soon be 73 my wife would not approve a solo ride into the less traveled areas of the planned trip. A long time riding friend with a new wing volunteered, but had a time restraint of less than 20 days. A fast trip to Minot and on to Shelby Montana. There my friend's bushtec trailer had a tire showing heavy wear. A new tire ordered and the 2 days waiting were used in touring Glacier and vicinity. After the tire arrived we were on To Calgary then the Ice field Parkway. Banff to Jasper breathtaking, lakes, mountains ice fields glaciers etc for mile after mile. The beauty continued from Jasper to Prince George and on towards Prince Rupert. We turned north on 37 and then west on 37a to Stewart BC. Glaciers and ice fields with associated lakes and streams with no crowds and little gas with more of an adventure rider attitude than a ride to Sturgis. While in Stewart we crossed the border into Hyder Ak. and rode north for a short ways. Back to Prince George, and south to cross the border north of the Grand Coulee Dam. Met a blue spyder on 155 north of the Dam, almost a deserted road and 2 spyders passing in the evening. On through Spokane and Coeur d' Alene turning south picking up the fringes of Surgis crowd. Did not linger because of triple room rates. Met many nice people who had attended the rally and were starting home. Across Nebraska on the homeward ride arriving in Columbus Ga. after over 7500 miles in 15 days pulling my loaded 622 trailer. Went slow in the scenic areas. The RT and trailer both performed flawlessly. Great trip.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the trip info!

I've been to the Prince George area several times, and it's a great timber town! From there, it's a easy pretty ride to either Jasper (Hwy 43 to Lake Louise - 12 on the 10 scale), or Calgary. If you ever get up there again, the trip to Prince Rupert is stunning, and you can grab a ferry ride to Queen Charlotte Island, Ketchican, AK, or Vancouver Island, so you don't have to backtrack...

Our Canadian friends have some truly awesome riding areas, and are friendly folks to boot.
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member