Thread: Detroit

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Detroit

I'm starting to plan my route to SpyderQuest next month. I plan to stop a day at Niagara Falls, since I've never seen it, and I will probably ride from Michigan through Ontario to get there. (I just got my new passport and I'm dying to use it!) The map app takes me right up to Detroit on I-75 and then across into Canada. I feel like a wimp for asking this, but is that safe to go that way, or should I avoid Detroit all together?
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Default Well..!!

you don't have to avoid it..just don't stop there... I avoid all major cities if possible. Can find all I need in the small one with much nicer folks...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Detroit

I asked the same question when going to Port Dover ON in June. And was told by some of the Canadian Spyder Ryders to take the long way there and enter Canada through New York.

Spyder Garage

If you take I-69 north out of IN, you can cross at the Blue Water Bridge from Port Huron into Sarnia, ON, then 422 and the QEW to Niagra. I haven't been that way in a number of years, but it worked well for me. While you're up that way, check out the Thousand Islands, Alexandria Bay, NY. There's a castle on an island you can visit. Google Boldt's Castle.
    Or you could take the 422 to 401 through Toronto, and cross back to NY via the Thousand Islands Bridge, great scenery up there.

john

Spyder Garage

Default Trip to New York

I went through Detroit at about midnight many years ago, i was so tired i drove through the border checkpoint. Don't do that, they really get stirred up. If i did it again i think the Sarnia I-94 crossing may be better, unless you want to go through Detroit. Boldt Castle is worth seeing. The thousand islands bridge is close to Alexandria Bay, and I believe the ferry goes from there to the Castle. Further up on the Canadian side is Prescott Ontario where you can cross into Ogdensburg New York. Ogdensburg has the Frederick Remington Museum. Remington grew up in Canton New York and spent much of his time in the West, sketching and painting what the rest of the world knew at the time as the wild west.
    Maybe catch that on the way back, sounds like a fun trip.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Patti, I agree that crossing at Sarnia would be better for you then I75 which can be pretty hectic. I've been both ways and also have gone through New York to get there and that was probably the best ride. Traffic in Canada is pretty crazy on the freeways.

Also, I don't remember what type of helmet you wear but if it is a full face helmet you can expect to have to remove it completely at the border, at least on the Canadian side. Modular helmets are okay you just have to be able to show your whole face to the border patrol.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    I'm starting to plan my route to SpyderQuest next month. I plan to stop a day at Niagara Falls, since I've never seen it, and I will probably ride from Michigan through Ontario to get there. (I just got my new passport and I'm dying to use it!) The map app takes me right up to Detroit on I-75 and then across into Canada. I feel like a wimp for asking this, but is that safe to go that way, or should I avoid Detroit all together?
    Entering Canada at Detroit, either through the Tunnel or over the Ambassador Bridge is very straight forward and as safe as any other freeway experience in any other city in the U.S.. Once across the border, you have the option of travelling a few hours up Hwy 401 and heading over to Niagara Falls via Hwy 403, or if you prefer a more scenic route I would personally recommend taking Highway 3 from Windsor along the shore of Lake Erie to Niagara Falls. (Don't forget to take a side trip to Niagara on the Lake while in the Niagara Falls area.)

From Niagara I would hop back over the border into New York State at the Fort Erie crossing and travel north to Syracuse on I90 and head further north on I81 up to Watertown, New York . Once you reach Watertown you can switch over to Highway 3 and tour through some of the finest secondary touring roads in upper New York State. Traveling through Adirondack Park (Tupper Lake, Saranac Lake and Lake Placid areas) before hitting I87/US9 South should not be missed on your travels through to Lake George.

When I travel I tend to look for "major" secondary routes and that is why I recommended Hwy.3 rather than taking the Hwy 401/Hwy 403 route to Niagara Falls. The pace is good, the road is good and there are plenty of places to stop and simply enjoy the day at a reasonable pace. Highway 401 in the Toronto area deals with traffic associated with one of the largest and busiest freeways in North America. Once you get through this part of the 401 it is pretty well clear sailing all the way up to the Thousand Islands before cutting across back towards Lake George. That is the only reason I suggest heading up the New York side of Lake Ontario.

Enjoy your trip.

Spyder Garage

Default Travel to Spyderquest

Some good suggestions here Patti, but here is mine. I just returned from a cross-country tour that included much of the routes you will have to travel getting to Lake George. I assume you will be going south of Chicago, give it as wide a berth as possible. The Illinois Tollway is under major construction between Chicago and Rockford, and you are limited to using only half the road and a 45 mph speed limit. They still charge the full toll however. Once passed Chicago we headed into Michigan on I-94 then went on I-69 and crossed to Ontario from Port Huron to Sarnia. We had no issues with this crossing. From Sarnia take the 402 east to the 401 to the 403, then onto the QEW to Niagara Falls. As Nothstar suggested, if you want a more leisurely ride, get off the 402 at exit 98 and take 4 south to 3, then go east on 3 to the Niagara area. From Niagara Falls you need to choose between speed or a scenic route. The New York State Thruway (I-90) is the fastest and is a toll road. The alternative is Route 20 which will take you along the northern edge of the Finger Lakes, a very scenic area, full of wineries if that is your thing. Take either route east to Route 12, then take 12 north to route 8 just north of Utica. While Northstar has a good suggestion of going north from Syracuse to Watertown then taking route 3 through the Adirondacks, this route will take you well north of Lake George and you will have to run back south to LG. I don't know what rides you may have signed up for at Spyderquest, but several of the planned rides will take you to many of the places Northstar suggested, so my suggestion is route 8, The Adirondack Trail, to route 28 at Weavertown, then 28 south to route 9 at Warrensburg and then 9 south into LG. We are looking forward to meeting you at Spyderquest, glad you made the decision to attend. Have a good and safe trip, see you in a couple weeks.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You all have provided lots of good scenic driving recommendations. I just wish I had the time to do it all. I'm adding a day to do Niagara Falls since I'll be in the region and never saw it. I'm also adding a day to stop at JThornton's in Poplar Bluff, Mo where he'll add an outlet and accessory bar. So I'm not sure I want to spend the money on this trip to see all the great things the area has to offer.

So my question was really more about driving through Detroit, considering all the things we hear about the state of that city. I'm kind of like Chupaca about not stopping in any major city, but wondered if I should just avoid it all together. I think I"ll be staying in Fort Wayne, Ind the night before. (Yes, Red RTS, I have no intention of going to Chicago.)

I'm not hearing any safety issues about Detroit, though, but maybe traffic will be an issue. I think I'll look at the extra miles I'll have if I go to Port Huron, instead.

Thanks to you all.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Default Not to worry...

So my question was really more about driving through Detroit, considering all the things we hear about the state of that city. I'm kind of like Chupaca about not stopping in any major city, but wondered if I should just avoid it all together. I think I"ll be staying in Fort Wayne, Ind the night before. (Yes, Red RTS, I have no intention of going to Chicago.)

I'm not hearing any safety issues about Detroit, though, but maybe traffic will be an issue. I think I'll look at the extra miles I'll have if I go to Port Huron, instead.

Thanks to you all.

We were up through there late last summer. There should be no safety issues with going through Detroit. As far as traffic, it was a little congested at the border crossing over into Canada, but nothing to stress about. Once in Canada, it's easy sailing. We were also pulling a trailer. Try to avoid the "normal" rush hour traffic when you cross.

And be prepared... the gas is a little more expensive in Canada.

Have fun.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

If you do happen to be going by Syracuse, NY and you should need something, let me know. I hope you have a great trip.

Spyder Garage

Default Niagara Falls is great...

Hi Patti: I hate freeways and GPS's so for me I definitely would avoid Detroit...not because you wouldn't be safe...I just don't see and enjoy as much when running on a freeway...sometimes they can't be avoided, but most the time they can.
    Now as far as Niagara Falls...do both the US and Canada sides...two diff worlds. Lots to do and see and you get to use that new Passport!!! Wahoo. Enjoy...
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Drections

I just drove from Northeast Pa to Las Vegas 2 weeks ago and took I 70 to avoid Chicago. You could take I 70 to Columbus Oh and then take I 271 up to I 90 past Erie and right up to the Buffalo area. Nothing against Canada.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Default Detroit

Just went thru Detroit two weeks ago using I75. Timed the trip so we missed rush hour and no problems. $10 toll after entering Canada . There were 4 bikes and 3 of us got inspectors that whizzed us right thru and the 4th bike was in a different lane and really got quizzed. Piece of cake after getting thru. Getting out at the other end took forever because of all the traffic and sitting ( 45 minutes ) on a hot spyder wasn't fun.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

OK now I'm thinking I'll forgo Ontario except at Niagara Falls for sightseeing. It would be easier going through Ohio. I just thought I'd add another place to my ride map. Maybe on another trip. Gotta save the bucks for Alaska next year!
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Most have you covered. I try to avoid big cities as in taking the by-pass route around the outskirts if possible. Detroit inner city has reputation and I would avoid that one like the plague. I still remember my trip when moving to Ft. Wayne, IN in 1972. Going through Chicago, I was in the wrong lane on the I system and forced down an off ramp. Got to take the scenic tour through the South Side of Chicago in a 24 ft U Haul.

I drove from Wisconsin to Nova Scotia in 1997. We stayed on the Canadian side after going through Upper Michigan. We did some driving in New England, and Maine. I avoided Niagra falls because I did not want to go into the Buffalo area.

Have a safe trip.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

OK now I'm thinking I'll forgo Ontario except at Niagara Falls for sightseeing. It would be easier going through Ohio. I just thought I'd add another place to my ride map. Maybe on another trip. Gotta save the bucks for Alaska next year!
    Whichever way you go I'll see you at Spyder Quest.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Most have you covered. I try to avoid big cities as in taking the by-pass route around the outskirts if possible. Detroit inner city has reputation and I would avoid that one like the plague. I still remember my trip when moving to Ft. Wayne, IN in 1972. Going through Chicago, I was in the wrong lane on the I system and forced down an off ramp. Got to take the scenic tour through the South Side of Chicago in a 24 ft U Haul.

I drove from Wisconsin to Nova Scotia in 1997. We stayed on the Canadian side after going through Upper Michigan. We did some driving in New England, and Maine. I avoided Niagra falls because I did not want to go into the Buffalo area.

Have a safe trip.
    I've been to Chicago by airline and drove in the city only once. I have absolutely no intention of going anywhere near it.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NorthStar View Post
    (Don't forget to take a side trip to Niagara on the Lake while in the Niagara Falls area.)
    I was up there a few years ago. Niagara on the Lake is a real pretty little town and definitely worth a side trip. If you like history, there are a couple of forts up there that were important during the Revolutionary War and especially the War of 1812. see http://www.oldfortniagara.org/ and http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/lhn-nhs/on/f...rge/index.aspx

Trb--

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    Whichever way you go I'll see you at Spyder Quest.
    I'll see you there! I'm getting excited about hitting the road again!
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Default The "D"

If anybody ever does decide to come through Detroit you have a tour guide right here.... I would be glad to jump on White Rushin' and show you the great things about the city (and it would be take more than five minutes ). I live just outside of Detroit and have used I75 for years to cross over into Canada. I have never had a problem, never felt unsafe. Using this route I can be in Canada in 20 minutes, going up through Port Huron into Sarnia is an hour and 20 minutes for me. The key, like others have said, is to avoid rush hour.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Awesome thread

I really enjoyed reading all the various input and kind suggestions here.
    This is partly, what makes these forums so great, and much fun to belong to, as well.

Chas

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyglass View Post
    If anybody ever does decide to come through Detroit you have a tour guide right here.... I would be glad to jump on White Rushin' and show you the great things about the city (and it would be take more than five minutes ). I live just outside of Detroit and have used I75 for years to cross over into Canada. I have never had a problem, never felt unsafe. Using this route I can be in Canada in 20 minutes, going up through Port Huron into Sarnia is an hour and 20 minutes for me. The key, like others have said, is to avoid rush hour.
    Thanks.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ChasCS View Post
    I really enjoyed reading all the various input and kind suggestions here.
    This is partly, what makes these forums so great, and much fun to belong to, as well.

Chas
    So true! Another reasons to love SpyderLovers!
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Thread bare

If it wasn't' for all the (you) beautiful people here, who seem to actually care. Rare.

Make a fella feel pretty grand out here.

Love reading the respectful insights, and helpful suggestions for safe and friendly route planning... Way to go, friends.

Well done.

Chas