Thread: Detroit

Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

If you take I-69 north out of IN, you can cross at the Blue Water Bridge from Port Huron into Sarnia, ON, then 422 and the QEW to Niagra. I haven't been that way in a number of years, but it worked well for me. While you're up that way, check out the Thousand Islands, Alexandria Bay, NY. There's a castle on an island you can visit. Google Boldt's Castle.
    Or you could take the 422 to 401 through Toronto, and cross back to NY via the Thousand Islands Bridge, great scenery up there.

john

Spyder Garage

Default Trip to New York

I went through Detroit at about midnight many years ago, i was so tired i drove through the border checkpoint. Don't do that, they really get stirred up. If i did it again i think the Sarnia I-94 crossing may be better, unless you want to go through Detroit. Boldt Castle is worth seeing. The thousand islands bridge is close to Alexandria Bay, and I believe the ferry goes from there to the Castle. Further up on the Canadian side is Prescott Ontario where you can cross into Ogdensburg New York. Ogdensburg has the Frederick Remington Museum. Remington grew up in Canton New York and spent much of his time in the West, sketching and painting what the rest of the world knew at the time as the wild west.
    Maybe catch that on the way back, sounds like a fun trip.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Patti, I agree that crossing at Sarnia would be better for you then I75 which can be pretty hectic. I've been both ways and also have gone through New York to get there and that was probably the best ride. Traffic in Canada is pretty crazy on the freeways.

Also, I don't remember what type of helmet you wear but if it is a full face helmet you can expect to have to remove it completely at the border, at least on the Canadian side. Modular helmets are okay you just have to be able to show your whole face to the border patrol.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622