Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

I have a little over 11,000 on my 14 and have not changed one thing in the handling department except for a new rear car tire. That is my only complant with the 14 in that the stock rear tire only lasted 6,000 miles before the center became bald.
    I think it handles and rides great - single, two up, and pulling the trailer. Could it handle better - yes like every bike that I have owned improvements can be made, but are not needed to enjoy it the way it is.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Handling problems???

My 2010 RT WITH a RonBar and a set of Elkas on it, was only marginally better in the handling department, than my bone-stock 2014 RT...
    And as far as the ride comfort; the '14 puts the '10 right on the trailer!
    Yeah, what he says goes for me too. Anyone who may remember: I had a slew of handling issues stemming from alignment and body roll.
    BajaRon's bar and links took care of the body roll. The third alignment I got at the shop made the handling much better. A laser alignment by rnet (Ron) made it perfect.

My new 2014 RTS SM6 (yes, I went for the manual) has virtually no body roll. It handles like my 2010 after all the suspension modifications. I may get a set of RonLinks just for the sake of reliability.

I feel it tracks ever so slightly to the right. It's so slight that it could just be the crown in the road. I plan on getting a laser alignment sometime before SpyderQuest.

As always, the advice that I offer in these electronic forums isn't worth the paper it's printed on.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan_Roger View Post
    Since there is no standard as far as handling the question as to whether some vehicle handles good or bad is purely subjective.
    Yes! 100% agree. It is entirely as perceived by the rider. Each rider is different. The difference is in physical size, and ability.

No two "puzzles" are the same. There are trends of items that make a machine more dialed in to a certain feel the rider desires.

What works for one may or may not work well for others. Yes it is subjective.

Simply the place you ride can matter so much also. A Spyder and rider here in South Florida must seek out curves and climbs, where as those that live where the roads constantly curve could have two riders similar in size and ability, but each could prefer a different setup because of where they live.

PK

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by StanProff View Post
    Bob, I am one of the biggest Spyder advocates you are likely to come across. I am good friends with my local dealer and visit them on a regular basis. When I walk in the door I usually end up talking to potential customers about My experience with the Spyder. I have helped to sell many units in the past 3 years. Not focusing on negative at all, I simply wanted honest assessments of the '14 in the handling department from experienced riders. I am Waiting around to see if there are any changes to the '15 RT's. If not a '14 could be in my future.
    I know... You've always been seeing the up-side to the story!
    Have you tried out a 2014 yet? It would add some perspective to your experiences!
    (But leave the checkbook at home!! )
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Have you tried out a 2014 yet? It would add some perspective to your experiences!
    Good advise on the checkbook.
    Happy Spyderlovers

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    I have a little over 11,000 on my 14 and have not changed one thing in the handling department except for a new rear car tire. That is my only complant with the 14 in that the stock rear tire only lasted 6,000 miles before the center became bald.
    I think it handles and rides great - single, two up, and pulling the trailer. Could it handle better - yes like every bike that I have owned improvements can be made, but are not needed to enjoy it the way it is.
    As I am waiting around for the '15's I'm hoping they will take care of the OEM tire problem. If not I will follow your lead.
    Happy Spyderlovers

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan_Roger View Post
    Since there is no standard as far as handling the question as to whether some vehicle handles good or bad is purely subjective.
    Your right on the mark. From all of the comments on the '14's it seems there are only 2 things that may need to be changed and one of them is, as you said, purely subjective. The Ron bar (the purely subjective item) for those of us that like a little less body roll and the rear tire because 5 or 6 thousand miles for replacement is not acceptable.
    Happy Spyderlovers

Spyder Garage

I had a a 2010 and 2012 and now 2014.. my 2014 out performs the earlier models in every respect and I have ridden 20500 miles so far in 2014 so think that is a fair test... this bike is phenomenal.. don't know where you get your data to the contrary, but remember on all forums the nay sayers are always louder but don't necessarily represent the whole community
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

20,500 miles already?

Spyder Garage

Handling problems???

My 2010 RT WITH a RonBar and a set of Elkas on it, was only marginally better in the handling department, than my bone-stock 2014 RT...
    And as far as the ride comfort; the '14 puts the '10 right on the trailer!
    I never put Elkas on my 2010 but I'm essentially in agreement with Bob.
    My 2010 was a pig until I put on the RonBar, RonLinks and a set of 2011 shocks.
    So far my bone stock 2014 handles very well without any third party improvements.
    I am considering installing the RonLinks, but that's a choice based on increased reliability, not because of handling issues.
    My 2010 out of the factory was so misaligned, I felt it was dangerous. BRP wound up buying me tires and 3 alignments.
    My 2014 seems to be pretty good, although I'm going to get the laser alignment from rnet fairly soon anyway.

Now if only BRP would address that damn windshield arm.
    IBA #47122

Spyder Garage

Someone try and help me understand what has happened to the Spyder suspensions to regress from 2010 till now (or have they?). Frankly I am very satisfied with the way my 2010 Handles under any circumstance. I have absolutely no complaints with "body roll", tire vibrations, shaking, drifting, or any other handling problem that we seem to be getting posts on. From what I am reading, about the problems with 2014's handling, BRP has either totally screwed up or simple issues are being blown out of proportion. The 2010 RT's came out of the Box with shocks that were known to be weak, This was BRP's first foray into the touring class and it simply needed a little more stiffness to handle the extra couple of hundred pounds or so. Also "body roll" was also a concern as influenced by the added weight and by those who rode a little more aggressive in the curves, or when pulling a trailer. We wanted the Spyder to be a little more stable overall. Simple fixes (that I applied) Were, #1 the Bajaron sway bar, Anyone that was into car performance in the 60's know the difference a stiffer sway-bar can make on handling, Thanks Ron for a well thought out product. #2 upgrade, I installed fox shocks (got a really good deal on them). Same as the above statement, We always stuck Monroe or equivalent shocks on our cars or trucks to improve the handling. These accomplished all the things that a good shock is supposed to do. #3 I had Lamont do an alignment. Again just like a car, it was no longer tracking off center. (I do blame BRP on this one of course I could have hit a good bump or two the previous two years).
    My question and concerns, are the '14's really overall bad handlers with bad suspensions ? Has BRP not learned anything from the previous years? Are the RT's worst now that 4 years ago? I really don't think so. It is fine if someone wants to upgrade what they have, that is what I have done but I didn't claim that the ride was factory defective or something to justify my upgrades.
    A little background here: I hooked up the 622 trailer, loaded it down and my wife and I road through 14 states going across country and back. At that time the Spyder was totally stock. It rode and preformed fine for the purpose that I wanted. I did not expect it to handle like a race car on a road course. All I am saying is I think it is easy to expect much more than a particular model can give. That's why they make sport models and touring models.
    With the 3 items listed that I have added or had done to my 2010 RT-S It is perfect. Front tires are on the high side of 25,000 miles with at least 5 or 6 more thousand in them. Maybe I am just lucky and have a perfectly built Spyder. Maybe it is like the thousands of more that came off the line. What ever it is, If the '14's are as bad as some say, BRP has a very big problem. I certainly hope not. I am wanting to trade up to a '15. (hey, I trade cars every 3 or 4 years too).
    How about some of the owners of the new '14's speak up and give an opinion on how your ride is. I am really wanting to get more opinions. I would like to trade up, I want a touring model, I want it to be comfortable, I want it to have reasonable handling without spending money to get it that way, upgrades and farkles are great but they should not be mandatory to have a good handling and performing machine.
    Thanks for your feedback.
    Stan
    Stan: I have a 14RTS-SE6 and it handles fine, no problems. I bought my 14RTS-SE6 last day of July this year. Also, I have not done any farkling to it yet, buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut I will. Deanna777

Spyder Garage

Bob: I agree, leave the check book @ home. Deanna777

Spyder Garage

HI
    The 14RTS-SE6 is a very awesome machine, it is like night/ day compared to my 2012 RTS-SE5( which was my first ) it handles/steers 110% better than a 2012RTS-SE5. After a laser alignment was done on it. Deanna777

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Deanna777 View Post
    Bob: I agree, leave the check book @ home. Deanna777
    The scary thing is; what're they do to the bikes, for the future??

Spyder Garage

My 2008 RS handled like a sports car - nearly perfectly. My 2014 RT Limited wallows in turns, but it's a dresser! In every other respect, it's a huge improvement over my RS. And this morning, I discovered that the dealer delivered it to me with 5psi in the front tires. Now that it has 20psi, I can't WAIT to try the twisties again.
    Last edited by mtdoragary; 08-26-2014 at 06:29 PM.
    3:16

Spyder Garage

The scary thing is; what're they do to the bikes, for the future??
    Bob: What are U Talking about????? Deanna

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Deanna777 View Post
    Bob: What are U Talking about????? Deanna
    Don't encourage him to post even more than he already does!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cool

@ StanProff .
    This is probably not a case of poor handling......much more likely is that a Spyder handles like nothing else and does take some getting used to.

(Apologies if this point has already been raised but it's tomorrow here and I'm ready for my bed......my teddy bear is all revved up
    an' raring to go!!)
    teddy-bear-pilot_2167465.jpg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    That's like trying to stop a freight train going over a cliff! not gonna happen.
    Hey everyone,,, it looks like unless the '15 RT has a eye opening change (could be even electronics with the dash, or some other improvement i couldn't live without) I will wait for a deal to come along on the '14's.
    Happy Spyderlovers

Spyder Garage

This thread is too long to read through all the posts, so please forgive me if I'm repeating things already said.
    I've had my 2014 RTS since Friday. I know. Three days is not much.
    I did up my 2010 RTS with suspension mods. RonBar, Shocks, RonLinks. It was pretty good, and I was satisfied with the handling.
    Tonight, on the way home from work I trashed the 2014 on the same roads I used to trash the 2010.
    Let me clarify. I TRIED to trash the 2014.
    It took everything in stride. There was no pucker factor on any of the roads.
    I'm now convinced that the bone stock 2014 RTS handles better than the tricked out 2010.
    So, at this point, I think I'll just get a set of RonLinks to enhance reliability.
    I already have the Kumho on the rear.
    Saturday I will have a laser alignment and then I'm good to go !

As always, my free advice comes with a double your money back guarantee.
    IBA #47122

Spyder Garage

I've been riding for 58 years and there are no perfect motorcycles. I loved my 1950 Whizzer in spite of all of it's shortcomings. My favorite motorcycle was my Excelsior Henderson and it required $2000 worth of work right out of the box to make it driveable. I had an 08 RS that was a blast to drive and a blast of heat on my legs even after all of the Spyderpops mods. My 2014 is as near perfect an out of the box bike as I've ever had, equally as good as my 105th anniversary Road King. I admit the handling was horrible with the 5 pounds of pressure in the front tires it was delivered with! Now all I have left to do is light it up like a fireworks display to get the attention of texting drivers!
    3:16

Spyder Garage

I will try not to encourage him. Deanna777

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OJ UK View Post
    @ StanProff .
    This is probably not a case of poor handling......much more likely is that a Spyder handles like nothing else and does take some getting used to.

(Apologies if this point has already been raised but it's tomorrow here and I'm ready for my bed......my teddy bear is all revved up

an' raring to go!!)

teddy-bear-pilot_2167465.jpg
    Good Point! After all, just what are they comparing their NEW Spyder to If they have never owned a spyder? Are they expecting the handling to be like a sports car? pickup truck? family car? motorcycle? All of these are driven a little differently, this includes the Spyder.
    Happy Spyderlovers

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Zipped Lips.jpg

Spyder Garage

That's like trying to stop a freight train going over a cliff! not gonna happen.
    You're right... Effort in Futility!

Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...