Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Is the handling on the '14's really that bad? Opinions needed.

Someone try and help me understand what has happened to the Spyder suspensions to regress from 2010 till now (or have they?). Frankly I am very satisfied with the way my 2010 Handles under any circumstance. I have absolutely no complaints with "body roll", tire vibrations, shaking, drifting, or any other handling problem that we seem to be getting posts on. From what I am reading, about the problems with 2014's handling, BRP has either totally screwed up or simple issues are being blown out of proportion. The 2010 RT's came out of the Box with shocks that were known to be weak, This was BRP's first foray into the touring class and it simply needed a little more stiffness to handle the extra couple of hundred pounds or so. Also "body roll" was also a concern as influenced by the added weight and by those who rode a little more aggressive in the curves, or when pulling a trailer. We wanted the Spyder to be a little more stable overall. Simple fixes (that I applied) Were, #1 the Bajaron sway bar, Anyone that was into car performance in the 60's know the difference a stiffer sway-bar can make on handling, Thanks Ron for a well thought out product. #2 upgrade, I installed fox shocks (got a really good deal on them). Same as the above statement, We always stuck Monroe or equivalent shocks on our cars or trucks to improve the handling. These accomplished all the things that a good shock is supposed to do. #3 I had Lamont do an alignment. Again just like a car, it was no longer tracking off center. (I do blame BRP on this one of course I could have hit a good bump or two the previous two years).
    My question and concerns, are the '14's really overall bad handlers with bad suspensions ? Has BRP not learned anything from the previous years? Are the RT's worst now that 4 years ago? I really don't think so. It is fine if someone wants to upgrade what they have, that is what I have done but I didn't claim that the ride was factory defective or something to justify my upgrades.
    A little background here: I hooked up the 622 trailer, loaded it down and my wife and I road through 14 states going across country and back. At that time the Spyder was totally stock. It rode and preformed fine for the purpose that I wanted. I did not expect it to handle like a race car on a road course. All I am saying is I think it is easy to expect much more than a particular model can give. That's why they make sport models and touring models.
    With the 3 items listed that I have added or had done to my 2010 RT-S It is perfect. Front tires are on the high side of 25,000 miles with at least 5 or 6 more thousand in them. Maybe I am just lucky and have a perfectly built Spyder. Maybe it is like the thousands of more that came off the line. What ever it is, If the '14's are as bad as some say, BRP has a very big problem. I certainly hope not. I am wanting to trade up to a '15. (hey, I trade cars every 3 or 4 years too).
    How about some of the owners of the new '14's speak up and give an opinion on how your ride is. I am really wanting to get more opinions. I would like to trade up, I want a touring model, I want it to be comfortable, I want it to have reasonable handling without spending money to get it that way, upgrades and farkles are great but they should not be mandatory to have a good handling and performing machine.
    Thanks for your feedback.
    Stan
    Happy Spyderlovers

Spyder Garage

I'm not really sure what you mean by "handling problems" associated with the 2014 RT's. There have been some factory defective front tires and wheels reported here. There still seems to be some alignment issues, but seemingly not as severe as earlier models. Other than that I'm not sure what you're referring to. My 2014 RT rides and drives great.

I did do the Baja Ron bar, but that was more for wind management because I ride through some really windy areas with lots of cross winds. It doesn't handle as lively as my 2008 RS/GS, but I don't expect it to and I did things to improve the handling too like you did with your 2010.

Otherwise, I consider the 2014 RT to be a homerun for BRP.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Default 2014 Handling

Quote Originally Posted by StanProff View Post
    Someone try and help me understand what has happened to the Spyder suspensions to regress from 2010 till now (or have they?). Frankly I am very satisfied with the way my 2010 Handles under any circumstance. I have absolutely no complaints with "body roll", tire vibrations, shaking, drifting, or any other handling problem that we seem to be getting posts on. From what I am reading, about the problems with 2014's handling, BRP has either totally screwed up or simple issues are being blown out of proportion. The 2010 RT's came out of the Box with shocks that were known to be weak, This was BRP's first foray into the touring class and it simply needed a little more stiffness to handle the extra couple of hundred pounds or so. Also "body roll" was also a concern as influenced by the added weight and by those who rode a little more aggressive in the curves, or when pulling a trailer. We wanted the Spyder to be a little more stable overall. Simple fixes (that I applied) Were, #1 the Bajaron sway bar, Anyone that was into car performance in the 60's know the difference a stiffer sway-bar can make on handling, Thanks Ron for a well thought out product. #2 upgrade, I installed fox shocks (got a really good deal on them). Same as the above statement, We always stuck Monroe or equivalent shocks on our cars or trucks to improve the handling. These accomplished all the things that a good shock is supposed to do. #3 I had Lamont do an alignment. Again just like a car, it was no longer tracking off center. (I do blame BRP on this one of course I could have hit a good bump or two the previous two years).
    My question and concerns, are the '14's really overall bad handlers with bad suspensions ? Has BRP not learned anything from the previous years? Are the RT's worst now that 4 years ago? I really don't think so. It is fine if someone wants to upgrade what they have, that is what I have done but I didn't claim that the ride was factory defective or something to justify my upgrades.
    A little background here: I hooked up the 622 trailer, loaded it down and my wife and I road through 14 states going across country and back. At that time the Spyder was totally stock. It rode and preformed fine for the purpose that I wanted. I did not expect it to handle like a race car on a road course. All I am saying is I think it is easy to expect much more than a particular model can give. That's why they make sport models and touring models.
    With the 3 items listed that I have added or had done to my 2010 RT-S It is perfect. Front tires are on the high side of 25,000 miles with at least 5 or 6 more thousand in them. Maybe I am just lucky and have a perfectly built Spyder. Maybe it is like the thousands of more that came off the line. What ever it is, If the '14's are as bad as some say, BRP has a very big problem. I certainly hope not. I am wanting to trade up to a '15. (hey, I trade cars every 3 or 4 years too).
    How about some of the owners of the new '14's speak up and give an opinion on how your ride is. I am really wanting to get more opinions. I would like to trade up, I want a touring model, I want it to be comfortable, I want it to have reasonable handling without spending money to get it that way, upgrades and farkles are great but they should not be mandatory to have a good handling and performing machine.
    Thanks for your feedback.
    Stan
    I have 2014'. RT LTD - handles perfectly ! Has Bajaron sway bar and helm joints. Rides and corners extremely well!
    Ron

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Have the 2014 RTS.... no problems and love it....I say some people would gripe no matter what....Remember there was only one perfect person in this old world... and they crucified him...so if the 2014 spyder was perfect... someone would gripe...

Very Active Member cognaccruiser's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Handling of 2014 RT

My impressions are different from yours. I'm not qualified to make comparisons because my 2014 RTS is the first Spyder I have owned. However, as a prolific reader of forum posts, my impression is that the 2014 has been a great success in the handling department. I had Squared Away do and alignment and found an improvement. I installed a BajaRon bar yesterday and plan to test it today.
    However, the handling was never bad and I am just looking for improvement and I just don't get the impression that people have been greatly disappointed or concerned about the handling of the 2104. I guess I'm a little confused about how you came to this conclusion.

Cheers, Gary
    States visited by Bike

Spyder Garage

i am 340 pounds and i found the handling a lil soft in the turns even with the baha bar and hemi links, than i put the elkas on the bike and it is great.
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There have been a few people that have had questions about the handling on their 2014 but there have been many, many more who love it. You may be happy with the stock set-up on your 2010 and if you are then you will most likely love the 2014. I have added the BajaRon sway bar to mine but I have stock shocks and mine handles like a dream.

By no means would I say that the handling of the Spyder has digressed from 2010, in fact, just the opposite is true it is very much improved from 2010.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

I am really surprised that there are complaints on the 2014s.....I have not had any problems with my RT.....I found the handling is very good,and I may think of a sway bar after some rides thru a lot of twisties.....I want to see how aggressive I can get first...I also found it to be much more responsive and a heck of a lot more comfy than my '13 STS......and ,by the way, I never had any problems with that one either....I think they nailed it on these new rydes......and yes.....I still have a big smile on my face.....
    Love my .
    " My Serenity "......2017 Spyder F3T....Silver Gray in color,Red dragon on Celtic cross on frunk,Blade wheels,Spyderpops bumpskid,LED headlights and foglights,Lamonster heim joints,Lamonster powerpoint,F3 Spyder cuff, Lidlocks helmet lock,Lamonster air pack,Ron-jon sway bar,Sara Clark painted thin blue line and Sheriffs badge, Spyderpops LED strobe brake and rear turn signal lights, Lamonster gas cap, bluetooth.
    2017 F3T , silver

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I don't own a 2014 RT but the only thing keeping me from it is money. I test rode a 2014 about 30 miles with my wife behind me and found no problems with the handling. In my opinion it handled considerably better than my 2010 out of the box. I added 2011 shocks and a bajaron sway bar to my 2010 and I would also add a ronbar to a 2014 if I buy one. The body roll was much less than a stock 2010 but a little more than my 2010 with the ronbar. There was no stability problem with the '14 and, in my opinion, it would just be a personal choice to add a ronbar or not. I like the flatter cornering it provides. I noticed a very slight difference in steering with the '14. It seemed that the '14 steering was a little quicker or maybe the power steering unit provided a little more assistance than my 2010. It could have been just me but, in any case, there was no issue with it. Just a matter of getting used to the difference. All in all, I felt absolutely no handling problems with the 2014 as compared to my 2010.

Like you, I have no problem with my 2010. As far as I'm concerned, it is a great ride but the 2014 is just a little bit better. My wife really liked the 2014. From a backseat perspective, she said it rode smoother and there was no vibration. She loves our 2010 but I think she would have bought the 2014 on the spot. By the way, my 2010 has over 38,000 miles on the original front tires and they still look good. And I haven't had any kind of alignment done. I guess Can-Am got mine right at the factory.

Cotton

Spyder Garage

The 2013 and 14 geometry is much improved. Ride a 2010 with Bajaron bar and Elkas and then do the same on a 13 or 14, there is a considerable improvement.

The only thing where the 13 and 14 are 'worse' than the older bikes is the loss of preload adjustment on the factory shocks. They still need replacing, especially for riders over 180lbs but the adjustment on the earlier bikes helped a bit until such replacement was done.

Either bike rides 'ok' stock, very comfortable and safe, just not great for heavier riders and more aggressive cornering.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Here is my take. Mostly an academic perspective with a lot of feedback from owners as I've never owned an RT Spyder.

The 2010 RT was certainly the worst handling Spyder made to date. For all the reasons the OP gave. The 2011/12 RT got better based totally on improved shocks.

The 2013/14 Spyders received a complete frame and suspension geometry makeover by BRP. My feeling was that this was not just to improve handling and stability, which it did. But was also meant as preparation for a larger displacement engine, which is what actually happened to the 2014 RT and now appears to be coming in more models with the 2015's.

My answer would be that yes, BRP has learned from past experience and yes, the Spyder has been improving in the stability and handling aspects. The only area where I think BRP has gone backwards is in the non-adjustable shock absorbents. Earlier models had it, current models, for the most part, don't.

Still, there is a great deal of unrealized potential improvement in the 2013/14 Spyder models which the aftermarket products can provide.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Handling problems???

My 2010 RT WITH a RonBar and a set of Elkas on it, was only marginally better in the handling department, than my bone-stock 2014 RT...
    And as far as the ride comfort; the '14 puts the '10 right on the trailer!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

My take also since I was one of the early 2010 purchasers. Premiere Edition #474. Also own a 2011 RT and now a 2014 RT.

I have never thought that my 2010, 2011 or 2014 RT versions had any handling issues. Never added sway bar or different shocks on either version.

Except for one season on the 2010, I have never driven either two up. Always solo, no trailer. My riding style is not aggressive. I do my share of altitude and twisty riding. All my RT's handle posted speed limit plus 20 mph (on twisties) with no difficulty when I do it. That is my comfort zone and beyond that--I don't need to go faster on curves. I stay on my side of the road and never cross a center line.

My tire pressures are stock recommended, OEM tires, and air shocks set on second to highest setting.

My overall feeling on handling. I started with the 2008 and 2009 GS/RS versions. The jump from my 2008 to the 2010 was like night to day. The 2008 was sporty and stiff. The 2010 was like transferring over to a smoother riding couch. Ala, Gold Wing.

The switch from my 2010 to the 2014 was also like night to day. I find the 2014 more comfortable, much quieter, and just a different ride with the different gearing. I now prefer driving the 2014 compared to the 2011--although I did a couple hundred more miles on the 2011 this week while 2014 was at the Dr.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

This is our first Spyder, and I have no miles on an earlier RT.

On the flip side though, I have been working for a long time setting up all sorts of suspension, done test riding, and closest to the Spyder, run race Karts.

Every item listed by the OP is viable. But may not be needed.

Alignment...if it's wrong it needs it and should make a difference in how the turn in feels and / or upsets the chassis. By far, this was the single best mod done on our machine. Increased safety also.

The BajaRon swaybar worked as advertised...increased the stability in corners and more importantly, when in windy conditions.

A for shocks, our are still stock and work fine. Our weight is pretty much up the middle springs are ok, with acceptable preload as delivered. Damping is pretty good also, but as a suspension geek, I always want clickers to try new settings.

Bottom line though, an alignment alone would be fine for us. The rest has been frosting on cake.

PK

Spyder Garage

Default Well put..!!

but what has changed seems to be the way things are posted here rather than the problem if any. The push for laser alignment ( though great had mind done by Squared Away with noticeable difference) makes it look like every spyder made is running down the road sideways. The problem with some lots of tires makes it look like they are hopping down the road like a bunny. They are the same problems we have had through the years and brp has improved with those years. Better shocks beefier sway bars but still may need better quality control from their suppliers. Theyhandle fine..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I don't own a 2014 but I tested one for over 200 miles earlier in the year. No handling problems at all. Also, I haven't heard of handling problems from anyone here I know that owns one.

I own a 2011 RT and have never had handling problems.
    Phil

I may be old, but I got to see all the cool bands.

2011 Spyder RT-AC

Spyder Garage

Default I think you have read too much in the criticisms

and not enough in the compliments. My opinion is there have been more complimentary posts. Although I have done minimal riding on Spyders since the inception, I have only owned a 2012 RT Ltd and my current 2014 RT Ltd. I nave no mods, although I will probably add the Baja Ron bar, no alignments, nothing else. In other words, just as it came from BRP and dealer. Simply put, it is great.
    Doug Barnes
    James 4:17

all on two wheels. More on four or more. Guess I may need to start multi-coloring for three wheels.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There has been a lot of "good", said about their handling; why is your focus on the negative?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Sometimes people interpret 'Improved after Mod' as meaning that it was 'Bad before mod'. Which is not necessarily true.

There is, however, a difference between potential and realized potential.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Sometimes people interpret 'Improved after Mod' as meaning that it was 'Bad before mod'. Which is not necessarily true.

There is, however, a difference between potential and realized potential.
    And not knocking your bar, but if there was one problem that is well on it's way to resolution for all Spyders it is a PROPER alignment of the front wheels. We still have not done a laser alignment yet. Just from how it felt I adjusted it myself and without in depth mention of what I did the wife immediately noticed and pointed out the improvement. This one adjustment was the single best mod to our machine. FWIW, it did not take much to dial it onto the much better scale.

Every other change was "just because" not because it had to be done...

PK

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikeguy View Post
    I don't own a 2014 RT but the only thing keeping me from it is money. I test rode a 2014 about 30 miles with my wife behind me and found no problems with the handling. In my opinion it handled considerably better than my 2010 out of the box. I added 2011 shocks and a bajaron sway bar to my 2010 and I would also add a ronbar to a 2014 if I buy one. The body roll was much less than a stock 2010 but a little more than my 2010 with the ronbar. There was no stability problem with the '14 and, in my opinion, it would just be a personal choice to add a ronbar or not. I like the flatter cornering it provides. I noticed a very slight difference in steering with the '14. It seemed that the '14 steering was a little quicker or maybe the power steering unit provided a little more assistance than my 2010. It could have been just me but, in any case, there was no issue with it. Just a matter of getting used to the difference. All in all, I felt absolutely no handling problems with the 2014 as compared to my 2010.

Like you, I have no problem with my 2010. As far as I'm concerned, it is a great ride but the 2014 is just a little bit better. My wife really liked the 2014. From a backseat perspective, she said it rode smoother and there was no vibration. She loves our 2010 but I think she would have bought the 2014 on the spot. By the way, my 2010 has over 38,000 miles on the original front tires and they still look good. And I haven't had any kind of alignment done. I guess Can-Am got mine right at the factory.

Cotton
    Good info, thanks. Like yours, my '10 is a great ride and is set up perfect for me and is a good machine. I need to drive a '14 like you did.
    Happy Spyderlovers

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Here is my take. Mostly an academic perspective with a lot of feedback from owners as I've never owned an RT Spyder.

The 2010 RT was certainly the worst handling Spyder made to date. For all the reasons the OP gave. The 2011/12 RT got better based totally on improved shocks.

The 2013/14 Spyders received a complete frame and suspension geometry makeover by BRP. My feeling was that this was not just to improve handling and stability, which it did. But was also meant as preparation for a larger displacement engine, which is what actually happened to the 2014 RT and now appears to be coming in more models with the 2015's.

My answer would be that yes, BRP has learned from past experience and yes, the Spyder has been improving in the stability and handling aspects. The only area where I think BRP has gone backwards is in the non-adjustable shock absorbents. Earlier models had it, current models, for the most part, don't.

Still, there is a great deal of unrealized potential improvement in the 2013/14 Spyder models which the aftermarket products can provide.
    thanks Ron, I respect you opinions and knowledge on Spyders.
    Happy Spyderlovers

Spyder Garage

I have no complaints with my 2014 RT-LTD.
    I have made it my own, so you can see by my signature.
    I had a 2012 RT-LTD and though I was quite happy with it there's no comparison with my new baby!
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

I have 2014 RTS, had not previously owned Spyder. Think this thing is pretty darn good...in the DRY. I can seeing getting a sway bar , lased align and maybe Elkas. But it is so good as it is, that those things are almost "farkles" and you don't have to rush out and buy anything. Being 6'6" and 360, I usually have some kind of issue with bike suspensions, but not here.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    There has been a lot of "good", said about their handling; why is your focus on the negative?
    Bob, I am one of the biggest Spyder advocates you are likely to come across. I am good friends with my local dealer and visit them on a regular basis. When I walk in the door I usually end up talking to potential customers about My experience with the Spyder. I have helped to sell many units in the past 3 years. Not focusing on negative at all, I simply wanted honest assessments of the '14 in the handling department from experienced riders. I am Waiting around to see if there are any changes to the '15 RT's. If not a '14 could be in my future.
    Happy Spyderlovers