Spyder Garage

Default Thanks to SYD3R aka Dan

I have completed the air scoop project. The air scoops that Dan designed work way better than expected. I tested the heat before and after the installation of the air scoops. The test both were preformed on days with temps. of 95 deg. and 68 to 70% humidity and ride time of 1 1/2 hours.

Before installation Gas temp. 179 deg. under seat 155 deg. Top of gas tank 176 deg. out side panels 151 deg. avg.

After Installation Gas temp. 131 deg. under seat 115 deg. Top of gas tank 120 deg. out side panels 118 deg. avg.

Also in the winter I can remove them in less than 10 minutes and enjoy the extra heat and back on the summer to keep cool.

To see the scoops go to here http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ighlight=scoop
    Thanks again for a great project Dan.

Mike

Spyder Garage

Default GLAD

Quote Originally Posted by MikeinGA View Post
    I have completed the air scoop project. The air scoops that Dan designed work way better than expected. I tested the heat before and after the installation of the air scoops. The test both were preformed on days with temps. of 95 deg. and 68 to 70% humidity and ride time of 1 1/2 hours.

Before installation Gas temp. 179 deg. under seat 155 deg. Top of gas tank 176 deg. out side panels 151 deg. avg.

After Installation Gas temp. 131 deg. under seat 115 deg. Top of gas tank 120 deg. out side panels 118 deg. avg.

Also in the winter I can remove them in less than 10 minutes and enjoy the extra heat and back on the summer to keep cool.

To see the scoops go to here http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ighlight=scoop

Mike
    MIKE;
    GLAD I COULD HELP......
    I LEAVE MINE ON IN THE WINTER MONTHS...
    DAN P
    EASLEY, SC
    SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

Default pix

Mike;
    pictures would be nice...
    also, how did you manage to come by those temperture readings? did you use a lazer thermometer?
    Dan

Spyder Garage

Default Congratulations..!!

sounds like you both got the job done. The temp drops are excellent pictures would be nice..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    Mike;
    pictures would be nice...
    also, how did you manage to come by those temperture readings? did you use a lazer thermometer?
    Dan
    I used a lazer thermometer. I bought it to check for air leaks around the house and came in real handy to cure the heat problems and to find the best tire pressure in my 2011 RS-S. My wife said that the Spyder felt that had more power. I check my gas mileage last ride in did before the mountains. I ran the same loops of twisty that I mostly run and it was a 92 deg. day and I got 38.9 mpg, that's 3 mpg more than usual.

Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Kudos

Thanks for the real world data. Saw the referenced post when it went up but couldn't fathom how a couple of strips around an already existing vent would make much difference. I exist in similar weather conditions here in panhandle of Florida. I guess some sort of low pressure/high pressure thing is created by the strips, causing more air to be drawn through the vents. Any how - thanks to your post with data; the strips are now on my To Do list. I appreciate your effort.
    Happy owner of Silver PE #1232
    All The Gear All The Time - ATGATT
    Gulf Coast SpyderRyders

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

on finding a fix that has worked!
    And Dan...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default thx

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    on finding a fix that has worked!
    And Dan...

THX BOB & others.....
    i appreciate the recognition....
    now if BRP wants to adopt my idea, they are free to do so...
    and it would be nice if they offered me a new 2015 RS with the 1330cc SE6 speed in the color of my choice for my design....

Dan P
    Easley, SC
    SPYDER

Spyder Garage

Cool

Mike

Hey Mike - Thanks for the info about the temperature differences before and after this mod. I have a 2011 RSS that is having fuel boiling issues and a dangerous amount of gas fumes, and heat at the gas cap and tank. Do you happen to have a full size paper template that we could use to make our own set of scoops. I appreciate anything you could do.
    Thanks,
    Kerry
    Bakerman

2011 RSS

Spyder Garage

Cool Great Idea

Mike-

Did you use the 1/16" aluminum sheet as well? In any case how did you make the bend without creasing it? Wrap it around a piece of pipe?? I've got the template made and I'm about to do this tomorrow if time permits. Thanks for any help.

Kerry
    Bakerman

2011 RSS

Spyder Garage

Default PM

Quote Originally Posted by The Bakerman View Post
    Mike-

Did you use the 1/16" aluminum sheet as well? In any case how did you make the bend without creasing it? Wrap it around a piece of pipe?? I've got the template made and I'm about to do this tomorrow if time permits. Thanks for any help.

Kerry
    Kerry;
    PM me with your address if you want me to mail you a 'template'....
    ps: these can also be made from 1/16" plastic, using a heat-gun....
    Dan P
    Easley, SC
    SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by The Bakerman View Post
    Mike-

Kerry
    I used 28 thousands of an inch aluminum sheet. It made it easy to cut and bend. They stayed on my RS-S SE5 at speeds over 90 mph, didn't move or vibrate.

Mike

Spyder Garage

Cool

I used 28 thousands of an inch aluminum sheet. It made it easy to cut and bend. They stayed on my RS-S SE5 at speeds over 90 mph, didn't move or vibrate.

Mike
    Thanks Mike...that helps. I'll post some pics when I'm done.
    Kerry
    Bakerman

2011 RSS

Spyder Garage

Default DIY air scoops - Question For Mikein GA

Mike
    Mike are the tabs just pressure fit between the panels? Did you need to remove the panels to install?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gcclubs View Post
    Mike are the tabs just pressure fit between the panels? Did you need to remove the panels to install?
    Yes, the tabs on the rear of the air scoop are pressure fit and the front tab is has a hole that the body screw goes through. Yes you must remove the panel to remove and install the air scoops.

Mike