Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default CLUTCH SLIP HELP

Okay to start, I have read the related articles on this topic.

I have a 2012 Spyder RTS with 15,000 km. SM5

This morning started to notice clutch slip. It happens in all the gears from 4 down. Notice it in first when starting out clutch feels spongy. Notice it in 4th if I accelerate quickly or suddenly that it slips.

So I checked the clutch fluid, and it is black and gross.

Next I checked the oil and it was on the bottom of the dip.

Questions:

1) Should I be concerned with the state of the clutch oil?

2) On an SM5 will low engine oil level cause clutch slip?

3) Is it unusual to have clutch problems at this low mileage?

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Spyder Garage

Time to replace the o-ring in the clutch and fresh fluid. Hopefully it's not worse than that.

Oil at the bottom of the dipstick is not low when checked hot. It just means you need to add some oil. Low oil level does not affect the operation of the clutch on a SM.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

I would be concerned.

What oil are you using. How long has it been since your last oil change?

If you're not using the correct oil it will cause slippage pretty quickly.

If the oil is indeed black (and maybe it smells burnt) I would definitely change oil and filter and be sure to put the correct oil back in. If it is the oil, and if you have not spun the clutch disks too much the problem should go away.

Hopefully it isn't any more serious than this.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 08-22-2014 at 06:40 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I would be concerned.

What oil are you using. How long has it been since your last oil change?

If you're not using the correct oil it will cause slippage pretty quickly.

If the oil is indeed black (and maybe it smells burnt) I would definitely change oil and filters and be sure to put the correct oil back in. If it is the oil, and if you have not spun the clutch disks too much the problem should go away.

Hopefully it isn't any more serious than this.
    So even on a manual transmission oil level can have an effect on clutch operation? That's the big question I have. Clutch oil is black, engine oil is normal. I only use BRP oil for oil changes. It was at the bottom of the dip stick on a hot motor.

Spyder Garage

I will repeat Ron's question. When was the last oil change? I don't see where he said low engine oil will make the clutch slip.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    I will repeat Ron's question. When was the last oil change? I don't see where he said low engine oil will make the clutch slip.
    The oil is due for a change in 800 km/h or around that. The bike sits at 14,200 km, will do oil change at 15,000 km.

The clutch fluid has never been changed.

Spyder Garage

I think we may be discussing 2 different things here which I did not catch first time around.

There is no 'Clutch' oil unless you're talking about the clutch master cylinder. That is a whole 'nother story, as they say.

Even if the clutch lever/hydraulic system was failing it would not cause slippage as all it does is release the clutch springs which allows the clutch to spin so you can shift or stop in gear.

The engine oil is the clutch oil and vise-versa.

Low oil in the reservoir will not affect clutch function unless it gets very low and then it will affect everything that gets lubricated by the oil system.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 08-22-2014 at 06:42 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

He has a manual and I believe that he said that the clutch fluid (dot 4) is black and gross. Is it at the correct level? Check the maintenance schedule it will tell you when to replace clutch fluid
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I think we may be discussing 2 different things here which I did not catch first time around.

There is no 'Clutch' oil unless you're talking about the clutch master cylinder. That is a whole 'nother story, as they say.

Even if the clutch lever/hydraulic system was failing it would not cause slippage as all it does is release the clutch springs which allows the clutch to spin so you can shift or stop in gear.

The engine oil is the clutch oil and vise-versa.

Low oil in the reservoir will not affect clutch function unless it gets very low and then it will affect everything that gets lubricated by the oil system.
    Got you... thanks for clearing that up. The engine oil is fine. No funny smells. Nothing unusual about the color or texture for the the amount of km between oil changes. I only use brp oil since new. It was at the bottom of the stick, I have been lower and not had a problem. This only started today on my way back from looking at an rss for my wife. It literally acted up a couple blocks from home. So I bet I drove less than a mile after noticing the problem. Plan is to go back to dealer on Monday very gently to have it looked at. Was wondering if it is a common problem or anything preemptive I could do, or any advice anyone can give me. Also trying to get my knowledge base up before speaking to dealer about the issue.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Can-Am Poogs View Post
    Got you... thanks for clearing that up. The engine oil is fine. No funny smells. Nothing unusual about the color or texture for the the amount of km between oil changes. I only use brp oil since new. It was at the bottom of the stick, I have been lower and not had a problem. This only started today on my way back from looking at an rss for my wife. It literally acted up a couple blocks from home. So I bet I drove less than a mile after noticing the problem. Plan is to go back to dealer on Monday very gently to have it looked at. Was wondering if it is a common problem or anything preemptive I could do, or any advice anyone can give me. Also trying to get my knowledge base up before speaking to dealer about the issue.
    If your clutch fluid is looking very bad it certainly needs to be changed regardless of what the manual says. It could possibly have water contamination which could possibly affect the master and or slave cylinders. If they are sticking that could be preventing the clutch from releasing completely which could give you slippage. I would think you might feel this in the clutch lever not working as normal.

A lot of maybes here but a place to start. If you're using the correct BRP oil then that would not be the problem.

It's even possible that you could have a collapsed or crushed hydraulic line which could give you slippage issues. But that seems unlikely.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Clutch

Check the micro switch behind clutch lever. My little switch arm broke off and wedge my lever and would make clutch slip.

Spyder Garage

Default Relax..!!

agree with Ron on the hydraulic fluid. It would be wise to flush the system out and possibly replace the o-rings. The black comes from that and if the piston can not move smoothly it may not release the springs. If the oil smelles like burnt cork you should worry. But no smells is good....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

If your clutch fluid is looking very bad it certainly needs to be changed regardless of what the manual says. It could possibly have water contamination which could possibly affect the master and or slave cylinders. If they are sticking that could be preventing the clutch from releasing completely which could give you slippage. I would think you might feel this in the clutch lever not working as normal.

A lot of maybes here but a place to start. If you're using the correct BRP oil then that would not be the problem.

It's even possible that you could have a collapsed or crushed hydraulic line which could give you slippage issues. But that seems unlikely.
    Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I have a starting point. Clutch fluid doesn't look like brake fluids I am used to seeing on my other bikes. Sort of brownish with floaters in it. Still opaque but off colour. Rub the floaty bits between my fingers and smears like grease and disintegrates. Clutch leaver doesn't feel right. Definitely notice it in first gear when starting out. Very spongy. I will post an end result next week.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Can-Am Poogs View Post
    Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I have a starting point. Clutch fluid doesn't look like brake fluids I am used to seeing on my other bikes. Sort of brownish with floaters in it. Still opaque but off colour. Rub the floaty bits between my fingers and smears like grease and disintegrates. Clutch leaver doesn't feel right. Definitely notice it in first gear when starting out. Very spongy. I will post an end result next week.

The brake fluid is contaminated with dissolved and bits and pieces of o-ring from the slave cylinder in the clutch that has failed. This specific problem has been reported often. Depending on where the pieces of remaining o-ring get caught, the piston will stick and the clutch will not fully engage (slip) or not fully disengage ( engine stalls when you stop). Just the luck of the draw.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

You know I bought a Spyder because HD seem to be in the shop more. Oddly enough my ninja is problem free and easy to maintain, and dealer experience at Kawi is amazing, with overnight parts and same day service. I love my Spyder but geesh.

Spyder Garage

I just flushed my sm5 clutch system last weekend while doing my 9500 mile service.
    DOT 4 fluid was brown and contaminated looking. I was not having issues but did it as a precautionary measure.
    Its very easy to do.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The brake fluid is contaminated with dissolved and bits and pieces of o-ring from the slave cylinder in the clutch that has failed. This specific problem has been reported often. Depending on where the pieces of remaining o-ring get caught, the piston will stick and the clutch will not fully engage (slip) or not fully disengage ( engine stalls when you stop). Just the luck of the draw.
    Billy's got this one nailed!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Given the condition of your clutch fluid, this certainly could be the problem. Another possibility which your dealer can check is the operation of the clutch solenoid valve and check valve. Together they provide a vacuum assist in disengaging the clutch to make it easier to pull the lever; the exact amount of assist is computer controlled and disappears totally above 4,000 rpm. However, if the solenoid is malfunctioning or the check valve is not allowing atmospheric pressure back into the diaphragm when you release the lever, you could be getting some vacuum assist pulling on the diaphragm all the time, causing your clutch to slip. Just as though you were lightly pulling on the clutch lever all the time.

RT and Gold Wing States & Provinces

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default CLUTCH SLIP HELP

Bike dropped off at 9 am at dealer. The mechanic is working the desk because the service manager left or was turfed. I say I would like the bike back for Friday for the long weekend. I get that look like they are not sure it can happen. Upside is they say they will order a clutch pack just in case, and they will see what they can do to get me a loner for the weekend. Oh we'll. can't do anything about it. At least I've got my ninja to ride. Gut feeling this won't be warranty. 15000 km seems premature to me.

Last edited by Can-Am Poogs; 08-25-2014 at 01:38 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Let us know what happens. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

RT and Gold Wing States & Provinces

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Please keep us in the loop!
    Good Luck!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default And the winner is

Went to the dealer to look at all the pieces of my clutch laid out on the work bench. I am not mechanic but let me see if I can explain this. The o-rings mentioned above were intact and seated but worn down, this somehow had an effect on the pressure in the system required for the clutch to engage and disengage properly.

The clutch hub which I am lead to believe is a moving a part and grabs hold of the plates in the clutch has been grooved and notched by the one of the clutch plates. The teeth on the leading clutch plate are also bent. The friction plates themselves are actually not in bad shape.

The had the disc kit ordered and had arrived, but when they opened it up found the other issues. Parts should be here early next week and they will put it back together.

First concern is they have been selling Spyders since they first came out, and the originals ones were manual and they have not replaced one worn clutch.

My big question, which is a big concern to me, and no one has was able to give me an answer, is why do the o rings fail in the first place, or break down or dissolve, or erode, or whatever it is that happens to them that causes this catastrophic failure. Two bad "O" rings and it looses its integrity. What the heck. It gets all the regular checks, brp lubricants only. Whats to stop it from happening again? I am told it is a very infrequent problem. What makes my bike different from the guy next door that doesnt have any clutch issues.

If you have the answer let please post them here in this thread, thanks.

I like looking around the shop to see whats in there. CB problems on 2014 RT limited, and throttle body and manifold issues on a 2010 RTS.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I seem to recall Scotty mentioning that the fluid is actually "eating" them...
    He was involved in a pretty active discussion about this (perhaps two years ago....)
    If you can find that thread...

Spyder Garage

There is a service bulletin about the SM5 clutch system and the O-rings. Something to do with the piston alignment.
    When I get home later this week I will look it up for you.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

My big question, which is a big concern to me, and no one has was able to give me an answer, is why do the o rings fail in the first place, or break down or dissolve, or erode, or whatever it is that happens to them that causes this catastrophic failure. Two bad "O" rings and it looses its integrity. What the heck. It gets all the regular checks, brp lubricants only. Whats to stop it from happening again? I am told it is a very infrequent problem. What makes my bike different from the guy next door that doesnt have any clutch issues.

If you have the answer let please post them here in this thread, thanks.
    Not an answer but if you remember the space shuttle Challenger, I seem to recall O ring problems there also Bad
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White