Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Alternate vendor for Drive Belt

Does anyone know where I might be able to buy a new drive belt for my Spyder that would be LESS than $325?

Caught a rock in the belt, it just wedged right in there, and has now pierced through and sort of 'become one' with it. With labor and tax it's gonna be about $480 to take care of this. Ouch!

I doubt there's any other option than just getting this part through Can-Am, but ya never know... Any ideas?

Thanks You Guys,

Karla

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Kural,
    Good News!!!! I just had the same thing happen to me, I paid and had it replaced (yep it was high dollar) but I got a call from BRP and they have decided to cover the belt and the install now under warranty... They gave me my money back!!! Word is now all belts are covered under warranty-as of last week. Hope this helps..P.S. I work for a Spyder dealer..Go get a new belt..
    Tony

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kural View Post
    Caught a rock in the belt, it just wedged right in there, and has now pierced through and sort of 'become one' with it. With labor and tax it's gonna be about $480 to take care of this. Ouch!

Karla
    I think that the Spyder is just crying for a guard to cover the lower belt.....particularly for those of us that have to drive over gravel on a regular basis.
    Either the front wheels kick them onto the belt or the back tire does, really this shouldn't be too hard to do.

My driveway is 200 yds of gravel and I think fabricating a guard will be cheaper than paving the driveway.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Latemarch View Post
    I think that the Spyder is just crying for a guard to cover the lower belt.....particularly for those of us that have to drive over gravel on a regular basis.
    Either the front wheels kick them onto the belt or the back tire does, really this shouldn't be too hard to do.

My driveway is 200 yds of gravel and I think fabricating a guard will be cheaper than paving the driveway.
    I'm surprised the aftermarket hasn't jumped on this yet. A guard is definately in order from all the different postings I've read! Ride safe!

Ride Forrest Ride!
    Spyder Garage

AMEN ! unless of course it i covered under waranty.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm also hoping for a rear wheel hugger...that rear tire slings gravel, dirt, sand and mud all the way into the engine compartment.
    2009 GS SM5 , Red/Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Tony,

Is there some sort of 'recall number' or update number or whatever that I should tell my dealer about, or just insist that they call Can-Am and push?
    I really like my dealer, and my service guy is really competent, but they service about 1000 suzuki and about 2 Can-Am (okay so I'm being a bit dramatic with this illustration,) so they aren't exactly actively looking for those kinds of updates (I had to tell them about my parking brake recall and that yes, my Vin number was included in that recall, even though it didn't show up in the computer like it was supposed to automatically show up...) and it was all taken care of, no problems.
    I know they'll be behind me on this, just hoping for a direction to point them in to make both of our lives easier.
    OR, if push comes to shove, would you be willing to share your case info/name/etc with me via a PM?

Thanks for your help,

Karla

Quote Originally Posted by TONY YOUNG View Post
    Kural,
    Good News!!!! I just had the same thing happen to me, I paid and had it replaced (yep it was high dollar) but I got a call from BRP and they have decided to cover the belt and the install now under warranty... They gave me my money back!!! Word is now all belts are covered under warranty-as of last week. Hope this helps..P.S. I work for a Spyder dealer..Go get a new belt..
    Tony

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Karla,
    I spoke with our tech. here and he said that the belt is not a recall it is just now covered on the original warranty. No bulletins where put out but if your dealer calls the can-am dealer tech. support line (customer can't use this line) they will authorize a full replacement. If they make that call for you,-your in. Surely they will if they are a good dealer. If I can help in anyway I will, but I am a salesman and not a tech.
    good luck. but it should be no problem.
    have a good day!!
    Tony

Invalid Emails
    Hampton On (Summer) Miramar Beach Fl (Winter)
    Spyder Garage

I went over a gravel road and yes the rear tire does bring dirt all the way around and yes it does get onto the lower belt as it is going by the belt just about a 1/2 inch away. I did look at the rear lower belt area and hope someone can come up with a cover that might attach to the swing arm and come down between the tire and belt to stop gravel and dust from hitting the belt. Here's Hoping !!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I ride alot of dirt roads so this is good to know and also a big fan of a lower belt guard sure they will be working on it good to know they are covering it

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Latemarch View Post

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Yahoo!!

Can-Am steps up to the plate! My belt is being replaced under warranty! Thanks so much for all your help, Tony!

-Karla

p.s. My service guy said that "all of them are happening the same way- rock gets wedged in there..." So, who knows, maybe they will eventually fabricate a guard for us to retrofit???

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Mine was just wearing funnie 2 gray small v s in inside/cogs all the way around good news replaced under warranty

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

2 gravel road 2 belts 2 rocks through belts. Traded before I had a chance to have the second one replaced but paid for the first belt out of my pocket. Happy to hear it is now covered under warranty. I bet they will have a belt guard soon, it will be cheaper for them to give everyone a belt guard than to keep replacing belts.