Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

I meant the reading on the stick, it still should read no more than Max correct?
    Quote Originally Posted by bgame View Post
    From5.3L to 4.7L looks like a difference to me that is on the SE6

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bluestratos View Post
    I meant the reading on the stick, it still should read no more than Max correct?
    The way I understand it max will be at the bottom add mark....

Spyder Garage

I would want to hear more on this before I lower the oil level. I am slightly high now (over max when fully warmed up) so I may take it down to the half way mark to see what happens.

Spyder Garage

I too am not going to mess with it unless BRP puts it out in writing. I don't want to take any risks with my extended warranty.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Default Oil Level on the 1330 - say what?

I was always taught to always keep the oil at the correct level in any engine I owned.

BRP should provide owners directly with critical info like this to maintain their vehicle to the correct oil levels and provide a new dipstick to insure we NOW have the correct amount of oil in them, not just at the next oil change.

It also bothers me that we could see 30% loss of power due to too much oil - wow! What, if any, damage or excess stresses is the engine going through that provides that much power drop? Very concerned on this one!

I appreciate Lamont providing the oil capacity info and details on his 8-19-14 post! These are Lamont's comments:
    "He may be mistaken. They did change the spec on the amount of oil to be used in the 1330. What they said was as much as a liter too much oil can cause a 30% loss of power. The marks from full to low is 1/2 a quart so 1 full quart would not show on the dip stick."

I think I'm running it on the full mark when bike has run for a long run....with that said, I must have too much oil in the bike by doing due diligence on the oil level! Wow, that's hard to take.....do I reduce the current oil level knowing it may not show on the dipstick? Do I reduce the current oil level as I maybe losing as much as 30% power? Again, very concerned when reading this!

The "real question" is: Where on the dipstick should the oil level be when you have a warmed up bike? The dipstick, I believe has a section on it below the low oil mark...so we could measure it.

Best results would be to know for sure what the oil level spec is (directly from BRP) before doing anything, then BRP to provide us the proper oil dipstick!

You thoughts/comments welcome!
    Last edited by Jim&Teresa; 08-22-2014 at 11:20 AM.
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 Spyder RT Limited - January 2014, Cognac/Black Seat, #958, born on 1-8-14
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac

Spyder Garage

I hope someone can provide a definitive answer:

1. Using the supplied dipstick it should read between the low and high marks but not higher (yes/no)
    2. Reduce the oil lever to read full at the bottom of the dipstick (hard to believe) (yes/no)

Thanks

Spyder Garage

With 10k on the bike now, and several oil changes done, I don't know what all the fuss is about. It has more power than
    I know what to do with as it is.

I run mine with it showing to the full mark when its hot and until I hear something definite from BRP or a TSB from my dealer, thats where its gonna stay.

If it makes you feel better, run it with it showing just on the tip of the stick. Won't matter one bit to the engine or transmission.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Clarification

OK. I talked directly with the tech and the service manager at the dealer where this controversy started. The information the tech now has from BRP is the same as in Lamont’s post – 4.7 liters SE, 4.9 liters SE plus HCM filter, 4.5 liters SM. He said that when you fill it with those quantities, then ride it and check it hot, his experience so far shows a dipstick reading just above minimum. There is no reduction beyond those stated numbers.

The confusion about whether this is a reduction or not comes from other info where BRP said to put 5.6 liters in an SE for a full change. The info in the owner’s manual (from the BRP website) shows the following (pasted directly from the owner’s manual):

SM6 Model
    12. Pour 4.9 L (5.2 qt (U.S. liq.)) of the
    recommended oil into the engine.

SE6 Model
    13. Pour 5.3 L (5.6 qt (U.S. liq.)) of the

NOTE: For SE6 model, when the the
    HCM oil filter is also replaced, the
    total oil quantity to add will be 5.6 L
    (5.9 qt (U.S. liq.)).

The reduction from 5.6 liters full-blown SE oil change to 4.9 liters is a reduction of about 0.7 quarts. The info the tech got from BRP said that this extra 0.7 quarts could cause a reduction in power, as Lamont indicated. The key as the tech said is 1) use the numbers Lamont posted, 2) check it hot after a ride, and 3) keep it above the minimum.

Still seems to leave unanswered questions such as will they change the owner’s manual, and is there a change in the allowable range? If 4.9 liters is optimum and what you fill it with, how low can you go as oil is consumed? Are you flirting with too low and must be extra vigilant about keeping it above the minimum?

Hope this provided some clarification.

RT and Gold Wing States & Provinces

Spyder Garage

Ok, keep it just above minimum so it shows on the stick. Thanks for the info!

Spyder Garage

Well I pulled out 24 ounces to get it so it is just reading above the add mark. I guess I will see if there is any difference.

Regards,

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I removed 22 oz. can tell no difference in power...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Lamont's post has the correct info. BRP has not put out an advisory to customers because nothing has actually changed. The oil level should still be checked the same way that it always has been and the oil level should still remain between the min and max marks. There was a typo in the quantities to refill with and that is what the technician was referring to. If you did the oil change the proper way and added the "old" published amount WITHOUT checking the dipstick, you would probably end up over full. Then you might see a loss in power due to the excess oil.

It is not saying to run less oil to get more horsepower.

It is not saying that the dipstick is wrong.

Keep checking your oil the published way as you always have and your Spyder will be perfect

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    He may be mistaken. They did change the spec on the amount of oil to be used in the 1330. What they said was as much as a liter too much oil can cause a 30% loss of power. The marks from full to low is 1/2 a quart so 1 full quart would not show on the dip stick.
    Ok someone explain to me what is a HCM surface filter... it says oil filter and HCM surface filter... have look at the engine break down and can find nothing about it...

Spyder Garage

You would think the HCM filter is on the HCM not the engine. Since there is no exploded view of the HCM it's going to be real hard to find.

Memo to BRP you are calling it the HCM again after calling it the TCM for a couple years. Choose one stick with it.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

The HCM was listed under Clutch Cover. Well hidden. That's it #16. $124.99 CAD. Likely $99.99 for you folks below the border.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gypsy_100 View Post
    OK. I talked directly with the tech and the service manager at the dealer where this controversy started. The information the tech now has from BRP is the same as in Lamont’s post – 4.7 liters SE, 4.9 liters SE plus HCM filter, 4.5 liters SM. He said that when you fill it with those quantities, then ride it and check it hot, his experience so far shows a dipstick reading just above minimum. There is no reduction beyond those stated numbers.

The confusion about whether this is a reduction or not comes from other info where BRP said to put 5.6 liters in an SE for a full change. The info in the owner’s manual (from the BRP website) shows the following (pasted directly from the owner’s manual):

SM6 Model
    12. Pour 4.9 L (5.2 qt (U.S. liq.)) of the

SE6 Model
    13. Pour 5.3 L (5.6 qt (U.S. liq.)) of the

NOTE: For SE6 model, when the the
    HCM oil filter is also replaced, the
    total oil quantity to add will be 5.6 L
    (5.9 qt (U.S. liq.)).

The reduction from 5.6 liters full-blown SE oil change to 4.9 liters is a reduction of about 0.7 quarts. The info the tech got from BRP said that this extra 0.7 quarts could cause a reduction in power, as Lamont indicated. The key as the tech said is 1) use the numbers Lamont posted, 2) check it hot after a ride, and 3) keep it above the minimum.

Still seems to leave unanswered questions such as will they change the owner’s manual, and is there a change in the allowable range? If 4.9 liters is optimum and what you fill it with, how low can you go as oil is consumed? Are you flirting with too low and must be extra vigilant about keeping it above the minimum?

Hope this provided some clarification.
    I changed mine today with Motul 7100 which came in Liter bottles and put in exactly 5 Liters rather than trying to measure out some small amount . After running it, the oil level is exactly on the middle bulb of the stick. Previously I had used 5.6 qts which put it at the top of the stick.

Correction: After a longer run today it checked out about 3/16th inch above the center bulb on the stick, rather than right on the bulb
    as I previously reported.
    Last edited by ulflyer; 08-28-2014 at 03:28 PM.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage

I'm wondering why anyone would not change the HCM surface filter on the SE6. When doing a 9,300 mile oil service?

4.7L without HCM surface filter change SE6.
    4.9 with HCM surface filter change SE6.
    2014 RTL-SE6 Cognac (Current Love)
    2012 RTS-SE5 Pure Magnesium Metallic (Pre Loved)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Similar to changing the automatic transmission filter in a car at each manufacturer recommended engine oil change. Granted the Spyder willbe more contaminated since the system is shared engine gearbox. However the fluid is changed more frequently than a car would be based on oem recommended intervals.

PK
    Do they reccomed changing the HCM surface filter SE6 during the 3,000 mile break-in oil sevice?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    No, 28k miles.

The list of items for each mileage or calender time is published in the owners manual.

PK
    I still have my 2012 RTS-SE5, but seriously considering a 2014 RTS-SE6.

Spyder Garage

Default Just completed 2nd oil change at 10,000 miles

The dealer performed the first oil change and service at 3,000 miles. This time, I changed the oil and filter and utilized the new recommended oil amounts shown below (per Lamont's post #13 on this thread):

4.7L = 5 quarts and that's what I put into the engine. Just got back from a 30 mile run and checked oil level.

FYI - oil level on dipstick: It is showing at the "low" mark on the dipstick.

Since the 2014 RT has been AWESOME and has not used a drop of oil, I will monitor this level and insure it does not go below that mark. IF this is the new recommended oil level, then why do we use "old" measuring dipsticks. It would seem a new dipstick by BRP is in order here to insure we follow proper oil levels in our engines on the 1330's. IMHO !
    Last edited by Jim&Teresa; 09-19-2014 at 01:17 PM.
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Default Oil Plug Wrench Sizes for the 1330 based on my experience....

Quote Originally Posted by Jim&Teresa View Post
    The dealer performed the first oil change and service at 3,000 miles. This time, I changed the oil and filter and utilized the new recommended oil amounts shown below (per Lamont's post #13 on this thread):

4.7L = 5 quarts and that's what I put into the engine. Just got back from a 30 mile run and checked oil level.

FYI - oil level on dipstick: It is showing at the "low" mark on the dipstick.

Since the 2014 RT has been AWESOME and has not used a drop of oil, I will monitor this level and insure it does not go below that mark. IF this is the new recommended oil level, then why do we use "old" measuring dipsticks. It would seem a new dipstick by BRP is in order here to insure we follow proper oil levels in our engines on the 1330's. IMHO !
    Hi all, I think I damaged the transmission drain plug using a T40 Torx on it. I ordered a new drain plug as I don't want to deal with that one again...It was "mushy" when taking it off and I used a torque wrench, to spec, putting it on.

I received the new one today and it IS a 6MM allen that is the correct wrench size for the transmission drain plug based on this replacement plug received.

The engine drain plug T45 Torx worked perfectly.

FYI....good luck!

Here's a few pictures of my new transmission drain plug:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Default Very Strange that BRP would supply 6qt in their SM6 Kit & 7qt in their SE6 Kit

You have to wonder why a dry sump system would be this sensitive to oil level in the reservoir tank. But then all dry sump systems have a fill level so there must be something to it. The SE's seem to be more sensitive to oil levels than the SM's.

You'd think that BRP would have this kind of thing ironed out long before production begins. But things can get lost in the shuffle at times.

The service kits sold by BRP would certainly lead you to believe that you needed more oil than you do. Maybe the extra quart is intended for topping off during the 9,000 mile service interval. But 2 full quarts on the SE's seems a bit much.

I have been quoting pricing for the wrong amount of Amsoil needed. I should have checked the the service specs and not gone with the service kit amounts.

Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Ron, thanks for resurrecting this thread as I missed it when it first came out. Of course, I just changed my oil 2 days ago and used the full 5.2 quarts.

I'm surprised that they didn't mail a replacement page for the owners manual like they did back when they changed the torque specs several years ago.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Ron, thanks for resurrecting this thread as I missed it when it first came out. Of course, I just changed my oil 2 days ago and used the full 5.2 quarts.

I'm surprised that they didn't mail a replacement page for the owners manual like they did back when they changed the torque specs several years ago.
    I missed this thread the 1st time as well. I'm surprised that there hasn't been more discussion about it as it seems somewhat important. I was referred to it by another SpyderRider or I'd still be in the dark!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member Orange Spyder Man's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I'll follow the owners manual recommendation until BRP changes what is printed in the manual.. warranty purposes... what's the old saying "CYA"

osm