Spyder Garage

Default Help, thought battery was dead but that is not the problem

I have been out of town for three weeks. When I last rode the Spyder RT there were no problems. I returned from my trip, turned on the key, the computer did not come on. Took the battery to get charged, it was completely dead. Got it charged, installed, turned on the key, running lights, brake lights and horn work but the computer did not come on.

This is a 2013 Spyder RT Limited with 2800 miles purchased 1 year ago.

Any suggestions? Ready to ride in Tyler, TX!

Spyder Garage

Default YA

Spyder Garage

To start w/ something simple, did you double check the voltage when installed?

Spyder Garage

I had the battery charged at Auto Zone. They said it was at 90% when I picked up. I think something is running down the battery but it certainly will not start.

Spyder Garage

The battery was strong enough for the lights to come on, brakes lights were bright and the horn sounded normal.

Spyder Garage

It will take a good full charge to run the electronics, lights are easy....electronics not so much.

If you killed the battery far enough, it may never get back up to a good full charge again. Seeing how low of mileage you had on the bike it may have been weak even before you let it go for 3 weeks.

Unfortunately I think I would replace it.

You could try a trickle charge for a couple days to see if it comes back.

Spyder Garage

Default Little checking..!!

fast check is hook it up to the car battery and jump start it. Then you will know for sure if it is the battery. Surface charges an result from fast charge and will not provide you with what you need ti start the roadster. Totally dead batteries many times will not come back from the dead. Having removed the battery your connections should be good. Let us know..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Forgot to add that Roadside Assistance came to try and jumpstart before I charged the battery, no luck.

If it is not the battery, then what?

Spyder Garage

When you turn on the key does the indicator lights flash and the gauges sweep? If so do you get the caution warnings? If you get that, does the starter attempt to spin at all?

When roadside assistance hooked up to attempt to jump you, did you get the indicator flash and gauge sweep, followed by the caution warnings?

Clifford Fargason
    2013 Spyder RTL
    2007 Royal Star Venture

Spyder Garage

None of the gauges come on. It is completely dead on the dashboard.

Spyder Garage

Default Here's the thing..!!

your not getting power to the whole system..ignition switch,kill switch, fuses, ground straps but looking like it's a trip to the dealer.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Found the problem

It was not the battery. Finally the techs at my local dealership suggested I look at the fuses and the relays on the fuse box in the trunk, left side. When I opened the fuse box was came out. Looking closer I noticed several fuses were blown. No wonder it would not start!

The spyder has never spent a night outside nor have I ridden in the rain. So the only way it could have gotten water in the fuse box is when I washed it. How can that be?

The dealer said I need to bring it in for a recall to fix this problem. They are going to install a new fuse box and make it more waterproof. I am glad this did not happen on a trip.

2013 Spyder RT Limited 2800 miles

Thanks to everyone for the advice.

Spyder Garage

Default thanks for the update

Glade to see the resolution. Too often people don't get back when the problems is fixed.
    2014 Pearl white RTS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wcricks View Post
    It was not the battery. Finally the techs at my local dealership suggested I look at the fuses and the relays on the fuse box in the trunk, left side. When I opened the fuse box was came out. Looking closer I noticed several fuses were blown. No wonder it would not start!

The spyder has never spent a night outside nor have I ridden in the rain. So the only way it could have gotten water in the fuse box is when I washed it. How can that be?

The dealer said I need to bring it in for a recall to fix this problem. They are going to install a new fuse box and make it more waterproof. I am glad this did not happen on a trip.

2013 Spyder RT Limited 2800 miles

Thanks to everyone for the advice.
    Your dealer should have contacted you about this, back in late January or early February . . . at the very top of the bulletin it states: "CAUTION: All involved customers must be notified, all involved units must be corrected as per instructions herein." My dealer didn't tell me, either, but I discovered it, here, thanks to SpyderLovers.com! That, among other reasons, is why the dealer where I bought my Spyder will never touch it, again. See this link: http://www.spydertechnician.com/dlfi...C%20Update.pdf

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    I don't know if all the Spyders have the same battery, but if I recall this one is not for AGM batteries and that's what my 2013 has. The problem is, if the charger attempts to overcharge an AGM battery it will convert some of the fluid inside into gas and cut the effectiveness of the battery. I think that's the same one I bought and figured out it wasn't the right kind of charger.
    2013 RT , Red