Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Disenchanted With BRP Rear tire is A PIECE OF (all you all fill in the blank)

So we bought a 2014 Limited because we love to tour. The T in RT is for touring Right?

So in a couple of weeks we will set out for an 10000 mile Cancer fund raising trip called The Ride For The Relay.

I would love love to complete this ride with the group I set out with. But that is probably impossible since I will need to replace at least 1 rear tire possible 2 during this trip.

are you serious!?

Is BRP ADDRESSING THIS ? Or like most other engineering issues, burying their head in the sand. I am becoming disenchanted.
    Duck
    Michael Spivack
    2007 Goldwing
    2012 RT Limited Lava (traded 5/2/14)
    RT Mods.
    Cup holder, Utopia Backrest, Hi mounter tail light, FZ1 fuse box, aux power outlet, CB and Gerbing outlets
    2014 RT Limited Cognac (purchased 5/2/14)
    RT Mods.
    Cup holder, Spyder Backrest, 2012 CB and Gerbing outlets
    GWRRA
    Cape Cod, Ma.

Spyder Garage

Not to sound like a smartass, but if you can afford to go on a 10,000 mile trip, can't you just plan to have a tired changed?

Have a couple destination points planned ahead to have this done?

Now that being said not knowing if most or any dealers regularly stock CanAm tires.

And not knowing how long a typical motorcycle tire lasts.

You'll have to stop for an oil change too right?

Spyder Garage

go see the guys at CYCLE SERVICES of HYANNIS and have them mount you a new KUMHO AST 225/50-R15.... my 1st 1 lasted for 30,000 miles....
    tell'm Rich H. and Nich D. sent you....
    Dan P
    Easley, SC
    SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

Default Bummer..!!

there are problems with these tires. If you are going on a trip like that it would be worth it to go with one of the car tires. They are reporting better mileage. I have my second oem tire and got 22,000 outta the first but from an older production. I will see how this one does. You on the other hand should not be experimenting. We will see what comes of this problem in time...soon one can hope..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SNOOPY View Post
    Not to sound like a smartass, but if you can afford to go on a 10,000 mile trip, can't you just plan to have a tired changed?

Have a couple destination points planned ahead to have this done?

Now that being said not knowing if most or any dealers regularly stock CanAm tires.

And not knowing how long a typical motorcycle tire lasts.

You'll have to stop for an oil change too right?

I am am perfectly capable of finding a dealer to change a tire. I would like to keep up with the group I am riding with. The hotels are all arraigned and none of the allow for a tire change stop . And no oil change neede. I will be a bit over the 9200 mile range but not that bad.

as for Milage on motorcycle tires go, I ride a Goldwing. I tour heavily loaded, and I get at least 20k or better on tires
    Duck
    Michael Spivack
    2007 Goldwing
    RT Mods.
    Cup holder, Utopia Backrest, Hi mounter tail light, FZ1 fuse box, aux power outlet, CB and Gerbing outlets
    RT Mods.
    GWRRA
    Cape Cod, Ma.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mspiv View Post
    I am am perfectly capable of finding a dealer to change a tire. I would like to keep up with the group I am riding with. The hotels are all arraigned and none of the allow for a tire change stop . And no oil change neede. I will be a bit over the 9200 mile range but not that bad.

as for Milage on motorcycle tires go, I ride a Goldwing. I tour heavily loaded, and I get at least 20k or better on tires

Okay, didn't realize the time restraint/arrangement.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I see you purchased your 2014 in May so you probably have several thousand miles on it by now. I'd say, unless you change the tire right before your trip, you will likely need to replace it while you are gone. So you should be proactive and plan on having your tire changed along the way. Contact a dealer and make sure that they will have a tire in stock and that they can change it for you while you wait.

And don't go to the dealer that Ken Tompkins went to with Jerry!.

I'm surprised that on a trip of 10,000 miles that there is not a maintenance day built into the schedule.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

i totally agree about the life span of the tires, if i were you i would listen to others on a rear tire and change it now b4 you leave and save the original for the next tire change
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    go see the guys at CYCLE SERVICES of HYANNIS and have them mount you a new KUMHO AST 225/50-R15.... my 1st 1 lasted for 30,000 miles....
    tell'm Rich H. and Nich D. sent you....
    Dan P
    Easley, SC
    SPYD3R
    thanks for the info. I am very glad you got that kind of Milage from a KUMHO. AND I MAY BUY ONE from Cycle Services of Hyannis. But there is no way my Spyder will go to a Harley shop. Yes I know they work on other brands. I personally brought our 2012 Spyder there for state inspection. They had no idea where to find the VIN number. Finally gave up and stickered it anyway. No thanks on the cycle services but thanks for the KUMHO INFO.
    Duck
    Michael Spivack
    2007 Goldwing
    RT Mods.
    RT Mods.
    GWRRA
    Cape Cod, Ma.

Spyder Garage

So why not change the tire now for a Kumho or other longer lasting car tire? Won't have to make the change mid trip. Then you will have the original as a just in case for future use. I had a Suzuki Katana 1100, put over 100k on it and never got more than 5k out of a rear tire. Yep was a little annoying, oh but was it fun😀
    Dan

2014 RT-S SE6, 2012 RT-622 trailer

Spyder Garage

Default '09

thanks for the info. I am very glad you got that kind of Milage from a KUMHO. AND I MAY BUY ONE from Cycle Services of Hyannis. But there is no way my Spyder will go to a Harley shop. Yes I know they work on other brands. I personally brought our 2012 Spyder there for state inspection. They had no idea where to find the VIN number. Finally gave up and stickered it anyway. No thanks on the cycle services but thanks for the KUMHO INFO.
    to be honest with you, i've had my '09 RS since '09, and i wouldn't know where to look for the VIN either, (since we have no vehicle inspections in SoCar)... give these guys a break... SPYD3R's are an all new thing to most shops.....

other than that... have a gr8 trip and take lot's n lot's of pix.... i rode to UTAH last year with my pal Rich, who lives in Mashpee, and altho we took what we thot were 2 many pix.... we still didn't take enuff.... enjoy and b safe....
    Dan P
    Easley, SC
    SPYD3R

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NovaSpyder View Post
    So why not change the tire now for a Kumho or other longer lasting car tire? Won't have to make the change mid trip. 😀
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    to be honest with you, i've had my '09 RS since '09, and i wouldn't know where to look for the VIN either, (since we have no vehicle inspections in SoCar)... give these guys a break... SPYD3R's are an all new thing to most shops.....

other than that... have a gr8 trip and take lot's n lot's of pix.... i rode to UTAH last year with my pal Rich, who lives in Mashpee, and altho we took what we thot were 2 many pix.... we still didn't take enuff.... enjoy and b safe....
    Dan P
    Easley, SC
    SPYD3R
    I also live in Mashpee and Utah is my favorite place to ride and tour.

thanks
    mike s
    Duck
    Michael Spivack
    2007 Goldwing
    RT Mods.
    RT Mods.
    GWRRA
    Cape Cod, Ma.

Spyder Garage

When in doubt--change it out. with the others that are suggesting to put a new tire on before you head out.

My 2014 now has 6,500 miles on it. The tire is looking like it will go at least 10,000 miles. My past RT's have given between 13,000 and 15,000 miles on the rear tires. My was put together 4/19/14 and I am thinking I may have got a rear tire from a better batch.

My Vulcan 2000cc was lucky to get 5,000 miles out of a rear tire. The other side of the coin though, GW's get way better on the OEM tires.

I have a dealer that will not put non-OEM tires on the Spyder so I am stuck with Kenda's for now.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Changing my rear tire this week to the Kumho Ecsta AST

Yup, only issue with my 2014 RT is like all of us -- rear tire. I am going to have about 8,000 miles on the OEM Kenda rear tire when I go into the dealer this week to have it replaced with the Kumho Ecsta AST 225/50R15 (purchased at Discount Tire for around $85). Back tire is looking like a "slick" in the middle.....ugh.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 Spyder RT Limited - January 2014, Cognac/Black Seat, #958, born on 1-8-14
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac

Spyder Garage

My 2010 went through two OEM tires around 12 to 13 K each. Not great tire life for a touring machine.
    I got a Kumho from rnet.
    After a few thousand miles it looks brand new.
    I like it so much, I'm swapping out the OEM tire with my Kumho on my 2014 the day I pick it up.
    The OEM front tires seem to last fairly long with the proper alignment.
    Get yourself a new non-OEM back tire before your big trip.

As always, my free advice comes with a double your money back guarantee.
    Last edited by ThreeWheels; 08-18-2014 at 11:15 PM.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Disenchanted With BRP Rear tire is A PIECE OF (all you all fill in the blank)

Put me with the people that say put on a new tire, a car tire would be best. I have a 215/60/15 on my RT and at 4000 plus miles it shows very little wear.
    Last edited by Highwayman2013; 08-18-2014 at 11:01 PM.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jim&Teresa View Post
    Yup, only issue with my 2014 RT is like all of us -- rear tire. I am going to have about 8,000 miles on the OEM Kenda rear tire when I go into the dealer this week to have it replaced with the Kumho Ecsta AST 225/50R15 (purchased at Discount Tire for around $85). Back tire is looking like a "slick" in the middle.....ugh.
    I found it interesting that the Arachnid that is on my Spyder is wearing on the outer edges. If Vee Rubber and Kenda got together and took the middle of Arachnid and the sides of the Kenda maybe they could make a tire that would last.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Or...... you might want to buy a Can Am 622 trailer so you can haul a extra tire or two. If so, you might want to contact SL. member Murphy Brown, I hear she might be selling hers.

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default TIRES

Hi MSPIV...
    Not sure what the MSPIV is for but...
    You must tell me what brand of tire you are using on your GoldWing, I have had 5
    GoldWings from 1976 to present and have never got better than 8,200 miles on the rear
    and the best I ever got on the front was 17,000 miles, I have used Dunlap, Michelin, Conti Twins.
    Pirelli, Avon, you name it I am looking to replace my rear tire on the Wing right now what do you
    suggest?
    As for the Spyder they get crapy tire milage try going with a car tire I did and it works great and will
    out last the stock tire and will cost less to buy.
    I would love to go on your adventure that ride sounds great, My wife and I did a 28 day moto tour to
    Mexico 3 years ago and ended up with 14,267 miles ...
    Dave

QUOTE=Mspiv;859935]I am am perfectly capable of finding a dealer to change a tire. I would like to keep up with the group I am riding with. The hotels are all arraigned and none of the allow for a tire change stop . And no oil change neede. I will be a bit over the 9200 mile range but not that bad.

as for Milage on motorcycle tires go, I ride a Goldwing. I tour heavily loaded, and I get at least 20k or better on tires[/QUOTE]

Very Active Member granpa in Cincy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

bridgestones worked for me on my three wings. 15000 to 20000 each time.
    2014 RT S SE6 Cognac. Built on 12/20/13.
    2014 VW EOS 2.0 TSI replaced the RT S 5/22/2017

Spyder Garage

Default Hi Mike & Carolyn...and

So we bought a 2014 Limited because we love to tour. The T in RT is for touring Right?

So in a couple of weeks we will set out for an 10000 mile Cancer fund raising trip called The Ride For The Relay.

I would love love to complete this ride with the group I set out with. But that is probably impossible since I will need to replace at least 1 rear tire possible 2 during this trip.

are you serious!?

Is BRP ADDRESSING THIS ? Or like most other engineering issues, burying their head in the sand. I am becoming disenchanted.
    First tell more about the trip. Second on '14 tires...my personal experience is that BRP created a bad formula for the OEM tires on the '14's....so you have some options as I see it...if you have one of the good guy dealers...get them to file a warranty on all tires on C's '14 ... they did on mine and well as I have read on SL's several others who have gotten the replacements. I choose to put a car tire on the rear (BRP did not pay for the tire...but they did pay for having it mounted..the OEM was at wear bars at 3800 miles)...I am close to 10k miles on that new auto rear tire and it looks brand new. (fyi some dealers will not mount unless it is an OEM). Couple weeks? You have time to get all 3 replaced. My fronts were "cupping"...I have learned sooooo much about tires I'm thinking of hanging out a consulting shingle...especially 622 trailer tires ). So that is my input and experience and life is great for me and will be even better when the trailer issue is finally resolved (set #5 being installed at Redding CA dealer today)...and that is becoming closer to being done. Will keep you posted on that little adventure also...
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks for the info MurphyBrown

Quote Originally Posted by murphybrown View Post
    First tell more about the trip. Second on '14 tires...my personal experience is that BRP created a bad formula for the OEM tires on the '14's....so you have some options as I see it...if you have one of the good guy dealers...get them to file a warranty on all tires on C's '14 ... they did on mine and well as I have read on SL's several others who have gotten the replacements. I choose to put a car tire on the rear (BRP did not pay for the tire...but they did pay for having it mounted..the OEM was at wear bars at 3800 miles)...I am close to 10k miles on that new auto rear tire and it looks brand new. (fyi some dealers will not mount unless it is an OEM). Couple weeks? You have time to get all 3 replaced. My fronts were "cupping"...I have learned sooooo much about tires I'm thinking of hanging out a consulting shingle...especially 622 trailer tires ). So that is my input and experience and life is great for me and will be even better when the trailer issue is finally resolved (set #5 being installed at Redding CA dealer today)...and that is becoming closer to being done. Will keep you posted on that little adventure also...
    MurphyBrown,

I appreciate this info. as I will have my 2014 RT Limited at the dealer tomorrow to mount the Kumho Ecsta AST. I had already asked the dealership to file the labor portion as warranty work. Based on what you had stated, it looks like BRP will pay for the mounting of the tire...that truly is all I'm looking for as I already purchased the Kumho from Discount Tire. I hope they pick-up those labor charges for the tire change....I will find out tomorrow!

Thanks again for your great communications!
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 Spyder RT Limited - January 2014, Cognac/Black Seat, #958, born on 1-8-14
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    Hi MSPIV...
    Not sure what the MSPIV is for but...
    You must tell me what brand of tire you are using on your GoldWing, I have had 5
    GoldWings from 1976 to present and have never got better than 8,200 miles on the rear
    and the best I ever got on the front was 17,000 miles, I have used Dunlap, Michelin, Conti Twins.
    Pirelli, Avon, you name it I am looking to replace my rear tire on the Wing right now what do you
    suggest?
    As for the Spyder they get crapy tire milage try going with a car tire I did and it works great and will
    out last the stock tire and will cost less to buy.
    I would love to go on your adventure that ride sounds great, My wife and I did a 28 day moto tour to
    Mexico 3 years ago and ended up with 14,267 miles ...
    Dave

QUOTE=Mspiv;859935]I am am perfectly capable of finding a dealer to change a tire. I would like to keep up with the group I am riding with. The hotels are all arraigned and none of the allow for a tire change stop . And no oil change neede. I will be a bit over the 9200 mile range but not that bad.

[/QUOTE]

I am getting great info and advice on this thread.
    breifly, on my GLs I have always run Dunlap E3s. They can get noisey but great Milage and traction. I just switched to Bridgestones G 704/709 likening them so far .not noisy

mike s
    Duck
    Michael Spivack
    2007 Goldwing
    RT Mods.
    RT Mods.
    GWRRA
    Cape Cod, Ma.

Spyder Garage

Default The trip Ride for the Relay

Quote Originally Posted by murphybrown View Post
    hello MB
    tires, just got a KUMHO for the rear of the 14. Dealer will mount it Thursday. Rear has about 5k on it and just about to go to wear bars. Hope the KUMHO does better.

THE TRIP

i have been doing a Route 66 cancer fund raising ride for a couple of years. It is called Ride for the Relay. Www.ridefortherelay.org. C, on her Spyder and I on the Goldwing, will leave here on Sept 1 and meet 60 + riders in Chicago. On sept 6 we leave Navy Pier and 12 days later we end on Santa Monica pier (several pairs of Big Girl Panties required). The way back, we are on our own as far as return route goes. Of course others are welcome to join us. We have decided to come back on a southerly route to avoid any potential cold, inclement winter weather at altitude and to also hit as many national parks as possible. So Palm Desert (family), Las Vegas (C has never been there), Utah (my favorite riding), Zion Bryce, Arches, 4 corners, Mesa Verde, Durango, Dalas Tx (family), Arkasas (family), Graceland, Lancaster Pa, Home around October 8.

You are still the Best, Worst influence we have ever met and we love you for it. Now where do we get the Big Girl Panties..

M&C
    Last edited by Mspiv; 08-22-2014 at 10:49 AM. Reason: Change web URL to org
    Duck
    Michael Spivack
    2007 Goldwing
    RT Mods.
    RT Mods.
    GWRRA
    Cape Cod, Ma.