Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by StanProff View Post
    Seems as though the Spyder and the Slingshot are being compared like they are the same type of vehicle. The only similarities are three wheels and it carries 2 passengers and it looks like the price point is in the same range.
    And that's the market for most people interested in buying a sporty recreational vehicle.

I do not believe it will be pulling from the motorcycle market and if so only very little as in a novelty appliance. I like the Slingshot, I love motorcycles, I like to ride not drive. If I want to drive I will take the car.
    And that is my point: the Spyder RS was not pulling from the motorcycle market.

That market either wanted a sportbike (and bought them instead) because A) two wheels are what they wanted, or B) they'd be open to three wheels, but the Spyder (unfairly, but unarguably) carried too much of a stigma with their peers, **or** they wanted a fast toy. The Slingshot won't do any better than the Spyder RS did in getting sportbikers off of two wheels, but it will definitely get the "look cool in a fast toy" crowd to look twice at it, especially now that BRP isn't making a direct sporty trike competitor.

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    My take exactly. The Slingshot will have a market just like the T-Rex. But people who buy one are not very interested in a Spyder in the 1st place, and Vice-Versa.
    With all due respect my good friend Ron, the T-Rex never had a market because the thing cost $50 freakin' thousand dollars. Polaris is genius for coming in at the $20K price point, which while still pricey, is within the realm of possibility for many weekend joyriders.

Again, stepping outside of the Spyderlovers bubble:

"I've never ridden motorcycles, I've only driven a car, I want a unique sporty open-air experience. I could buy a Spyder-- and learn how to ride that, buy all the gear, etc. AND risk being made fun of by a majority of bikers who think I'm too scared to ride two-wheels. Or, I could buy the Slingshot which is a lot like my car, comes with a seat belt, easily brings along a passenger for my Saturday joyride, *and* doesn't carry the stigma the Spyder has with all the cool kids-- and boy, do I ever want to be cool."

"Hmmm... oh, wait, what was that? Can-Am doesn't make a sporty Spyder any longer? Well then, I guess BRP made my decision for me, time for the test drive at the Polaris dealer!"

At the T-Rex prices, that conversation would NEVER happen. At $20K, however, I imagine that conversation is going to go on in a lot more people's heads than all my esteemed SL colleagues expect.
    Last edited by daveinva; 08-19-2014 at 11:55 AM.
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dndfindley View Post
    After looking at the side views I know exactly what this reminds me of and many of you won't like it. It reminds me of a Honda DN-01. Pull up a pic and compare side views - seating position and all. I hate this whatever it is that BRP might unload on us.
    It's obvious you don't like it and it sounds like you don't like the DN-01 either. Granted, the DN-01 was not for everybody just as the F3 will not be to everyone's liking. My wife rides a DN-01 and she loves it, it doesn't matter what other people think. Paraphrasing Lamont's comment about ice cream - everyone has their favorite flavor and it may not be the same as the next person.

John

Spyder Garage

I too like it. I am VERY impressed with some of the major engineering changes that have gone into it.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FaranH View Post
    Oh, I LIKE it! It's the muscle car of the Spyder line-up.

May not appeal to some, but I've got to believe this may actually widen the Spyder market to the cruiser-types and the 30-45 year olds who might otherwise follow the Harley herd. Can totally see lots of different after-market parts on these....like mini ape-hangers (Joe Peschon of the MOGang was a visionary
    )
    Hey,. I'm in that age group, and I NEVER be a follower of any harley herd...unless they're leading a group ride.
    RS - 55K+ miles, F3 - 200 miles and counting.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by joet82 View Post
    Hey,. I'm in that age group, and I NEVER be a follower of any harley herd...unless they're leading a group ride.
    I think the ultimate appeal for this new product will be price. If they can make it affordable to the masses then it could be popular.....
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BlackWydow View Post
    Hubby sais if we get one of those he is not riding it.
    tell chad to go back and bake some more cookies and you'll take the f3 for a ride!!! chad and i usually agree on the future of the rss, but this one, i think we're not on the same wavelength. if the front end was a little sleeker, i think i might hop on one of these!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

23 hours, and getting close to 6,000 hits!
    Ron, You brought out a real winner of a thread!
    I just emailed the pics of it to my Spyder Technician...

EDIT: Did they do away with the SST frame, and go conventional on us?
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 08-19-2014 at 01:10 PM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

it appears to be a "love it" or "hate it" type of machine!!! time will only answer the questions!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Are you gonna find a test-ride on one??
    I think that I am!
    Whether or not you like what they did; the fact that they did something, should at least be noteworthy!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by daveinva View Post
    With all due respect my good friend Ron, the T-Rex never had a market because the thing cost $50 freakin' thousand dollars. Polaris is genius for coming in at the $20K price point, which while still pricey, is within the realm of possibility for many weekend joyriders.
    Point taken and with your price perspective.

My comment ignored price as what I was getting at was customer attraction to the format of the Spyder as opposed to the very different Slingshot/T-Rex which I group together in that respect. When you add price into the mix (which I know everyone does) the same case could be made between the GG-Taurus and the Spyder. Same general format which should appeal to the same general customer, with price (not so much format) being a major deciding purchase factor.

In other words, would I like to have a GG-Taurus? Absolutely! From what I have seen it is an awesome ride!

Am I going to pay that price? No.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

No doubt; the Slingshot is very nicely-priced.
    But, do you buy your toys based solely upon price?
    I know that I don't...
    It's not a bike.
    The Spyder isn't a bike.
    They're aimed at different audiences, and I think that there's enough room for both!
    I also think that this new RS is breathing excitement back into the line-up!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by daveinva View Post

stepping outside of the Spyderlovers bubble:

..."AND risk being made fun of by a majority of bikers who think I'm too scared to ride two-wheels.
    ...*and* doesn't carry the stigma the Spyder has with all the cool kids
    "

At the T-Rex prices, that conversation would NEVER happen. At $20K, however, I imagine that conversation is going to go on in a lot more people's heads than all my esteemed SL colleagues expect.

I think you are overestimating how often these conversations, or even thought processes, occur. I've had nothing but upbeat, excited, interested, and positive comments and convos regarding my spyder. Clearly this doesn't relate to a prospective buyer wondering whether they should get the spyder or another 3 wheeled toy. But I do think the spyder has come a long way and less and less bikers are hating on them.
    2012 Neutron Green RSS SE5 | Two Brothers Dual Carbon Fiber exhaust | BRP Xenon HID kit! | CalSci Tinted Shorty windshield| Throttlemeister CC | Baja Ron sway bar | TricLED halo ground effects kit | Sena SMH10's |

The wifey on Tessa the day we brought her home!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I also think that this new RS is breathing excitement back into the line-up!

While I agree with you because clearly some people like it, I sure hope that this thing is NOT the new RS!!!
    2012 Neutron Green RSS SE5 | Two Brothers Dual Carbon Fiber exhaust | BRP Xenon HID kit! | CalSci Tinted Shorty windshield| Throttlemeister CC | Baja Ron sway bar | TricLED halo ground effects kit | Sena SMH10's |

Spyder Garage

Post RS vs F3 -- Clues from Instagram?

BRP has been aggressively luring younger customers to their social media pages this past summer...especially to Instragram, through targeted campaigns on a variety of websites. About 18 of the last 27 photos BRP has posted to their IG account over the last month have been RS/RSS models. At least once every couple weeks they post photos of a celebrity on a RS/RSS.

How lame would it be to ramp up social media campaigns, reach a younger audience on websites we tend to visit with photos of tricked out celebrity-owned RS/RSS--if they plan to discontinue those models anyways?

I'm siding with the folks who think the F3 is an addition, not a replacement!
    - CJ
    DET | DAL | NYC

Spyder Garage

After all the discussion I too believe this is not a RS replacement. It's a new model in the lineup.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I would agree. The F3 series will be a new model line-up. For now the RS/RSS, ST and RT will remain. That said...........I hope the RS/RSS is going to see some love for 2015.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by StealthSpyder View Post

While I agree with you because clearly some people like it, I sure hope that this thing is NOT the new RS!!!
    The strength of the emotion contained within your statement...
    Q.E.D.

Spyder Garage

Yep! The pictures are still working.

Early on, I called the F3 a "replacement" for the RS. After much consideration, and agreement with many posters, I say, I think I was wrong.

F3: A new niche model most likely. And yes, it will surely draw a mostly younger crowd. IMO of course. There will also be those that just want a meaner looking machine and age be darned--they will get one anyway. Sounds like win/win for BRP.

Said earlier. F3 not for me--happy with my RTS.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I love it. My only question I'm curious on is if it is an addition or replacement......

2012 Spyder RS S SE5 Magnesium, Power Commander V with Autotune, HMF Exhaust, Green air filter,
    TricLed/Custom Dynamics Led Project titled "Knight Rider"

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I can hardly keep up with the posts coming into this thread! So like it or not, it has sure got us posting!! So that is a good thing!
    2012 RT , stock Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We'll know for sure... in about five weeks!
    Tick... Tick... Tick...

Spyder Garage

This thread alond should up Bob's count another 1000.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Oh crap! That's another!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    The strength of the emotion contained within your statement...
    Q.E.D.

Q.E.D. - translation from Latin into English yields: "What was to be demonstrated". A better translation from the Greek would read, "The very thing it was required to have shown."

A curious initialism!

Which definition did you prefer in your use of it?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bscrive View Post
    This thread alond should up Bob's count another 1000.
    I was thinking the same thing!
    2012 RT , stock Lava Bronze