Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Hoping these will be available at the Motorcycle Show in Dec in Long Beach, CA for a test ryde. Might be the time to trade in my 2008 RS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

#1.... The Slingshot is NOT a threat to the Spyder. It is a glorified go cart and not practical except to rip around a little. Not a mileage machine. ALSO notice how WIDE the slingshot is. Only about 8" of road left to move in. The thing is a road hog. Cool, but...

#2.... These photos are just that. NO specifics. I remember when the Ski-Doo REV platform came out in 2003. Most thought BRP lost their minds. Now EVERY manufacture copies the rider forward movement and BRP technology.

#3.... BRP is calculated and by far the best in design, fit and finish and setting the bar. Spyder slapped everyone in the face of traditional. IF this is a new Spyder segment Spyder will again slap the traditionalist in the face. If you want traditional............. ride a Harley. They never change.

#4.... BRAVO BRP for not sticking to what everything thinks you need to make. Take a chance and hit the damn ball out of the park.

Spyder Garage

Im picking, this isnt completely the finished product, and the actual machine will be similar, but not the same. The assumption it has the 1330 3cyl, if it is an entry level machine, it may only be a 600 or 800.
    Just my thoughts
    We now have His and Hers Spyders.
    Current Spyder, 2015 F3 Steel Black, Passenger Backrest, Blue Ridge Screen with Xcreen Extention, Akrapovic Muffler, Attitude Handlebars, Blades front rims, RT Swaybar,
    Her Spyder 2011 Magnesium RSS Sportrack and Backrest, Comfort Seat, Grip Puppies, 3.5 inch Riser Bars, Wespyd Signature Swaybar. Hindle Muffler, Godiva Screen, Hiway Pegs Can Am Panniers

Previous Spyders
    2013 ST SM5
    2011 RSS
    2010 RS
    2015 F3 , Black with Blue Graphics

Spyder Garage

With all the side panel off....no more overheating problems!

Looking very advant garde...will wait for thee finished product.
    2017 Honda Rebel 500 ABS
    2016 Spyder F3T
    2014 Spyder RT Limited
    2016 Indian Scout
    2014 Honda 300 Forza

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dndfindley View Post
    Not even close, not even a little bit. If for nothing else but the riding position which is totally different. The new Spyder looks just like a Honda DN-01 from the side.
    I kinda meant the lines and the painted frame. How about A Ctx with the forward controls?[emoji41]

Spyder Garage

A lot of people don't like change. I do. Over my lifetime I noticed the cooler older people look forward and not backward.

Spyder Garage

Originally Posted by Colin Not trying to be rude, but that may be the case in USA/Canada, but not all over the world.
    In New Zealand, (granted only 600 Spyders sold) but it would be a 70/30 Split in Favour of RS/RSS over St RT

Quote Originally Posted by daveinva View Post
    Not rude at all! But I do believe that with those numbers, New Zealand (Better than Old Zealand!) is something of an outlier.
    That's because NZ has officially the best motorcycle roads in the world so why would you want to ride an armchair around them:-).

Spyder Garage

The front end looks like a 73 Camaro and Z28. Old school muscle car look. I like the old school look. http://www.oyola-luiijf.com/joomla/i...ies/camaro.jpg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by formanek View Post
    #1.... The Slingshot is NOT a threat to the Spyder. It is a glorified go cart and not practical except to rip around a little. Not a mileage machine. ALSO notice how WIDE the slingshot is. Only about 8" of road left to move in. The thing is a road hog. Cool, but...
    Again, I beg to differ, if only to offer a friendly contrarian view.

The Slingshot is not a threat to the ST or RT as it is not a touring machine. No argument there.

But, as a happy RS owner, let me tell you the three general types of people who consider buying the RS:

1. People with ~$20K in their pocket who ride motorcycles who now want to ride 3 wheels, either for physical reasons, safety considerations, or genuine personal interest/curiosity.

2. People with $20K in their pocket who never rode motorcycles before who want to ride something "motorcycle-like."

3. People with ~$20K in their pocket who never rode motorcycles before who want to ride something sporty. I call these the "disposable income for recreational vehicles" segment-- the same segment that buys quads, snowmobiles, jetskis, etc. that aren't always motorcycle riders.

Category #1 is overwhelmingly populated by your RT and ST owners now that those models are available (before they were available, everybody bought the RS because that was our only option-- they don't factor into the *future* popularity of a "sport Spyder," however, as they now have choices more to their liking).

Category #2 is right in the Spyder's wheelhouse. The RS (or now F3) can appeal to that market, and those people are not likely to cross-shop the Slingshot.

Category #3, however, *is* likely to cross-shop the Slingshot, and hard. If they want something sporty but DON'T want a motorcycle, before they had the RS as an option. The F3 may kick serious tail-- no one here has ridden one yet (except those dirty, awful people who aren't talking! )-- but on face value it doesn't seem to be as oriented towards the sport rider as the RS was.

I'm only working on assumption, but my assumption is that the population of Category #3 is by far the largest group. If you are not already a motorcycle rider but want a three-wheeled touring machine, you're going to get an RT or an ST. But if you are not already a motorcycle rider and you just want to have something fun in the twisties, you're probably going to look at something that costs the same but almost-certainly delivers superior sport performance (having spoken with folks I trust this past weekend who've already driven the Slingshot, they all raved about it with drool in their mouths, it's *that* fun).

For my money, BRP had two real options to compete in that "disposable income" segment: make the RS (or its replacement) cheaper to expand its appeal/market penetration, or go in a different direction altogether, and turn away from that "sporty three-wheeler" customer who never appeared in profitable numbers. On face value, it looks as if BRP chose the second option with the F3. BRP couldn't obtain/generate customers interested in a sport trike, maybe there are customers for a cruiser trike, they're going to try.

I don't begrudge them their choice; they're smarter businessmen and women than I am, they've done their market research. That said, this wouldn't be the first time market research was wrong, and for the sake of all of us who really do genuinely love the Spyder in ALL its forms, I hope that isn't the case with the F3.

P.S. All the disclaimers above, I can't wait to ride one. And honestly, I may be in the market for one if it's as comfortable to ride as one hopes, leaving my sport enthusiasm to be satisfied by my hopefully-growing stable to two wheels.
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

spydee owner

If one looks at the attire and hair styles of the models driving the F3, it tells me, or I interpret that BRP is going after the HD cruiser
    crowd.
    Getting to the bike, it looks like the trunk will be more shallow but longer. Also, the vertical rad on each side...... didn't John Deere
    use this concept on some of their farm machinery?
    Also, interesting that spyderlovers is allowed to post pics yet Canadian sites have had info and pics removed.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spydee owner View Post
    If one looks at the attire and hair styles of the models driving the F3, it tells me, or I interpret that BRP is going after the HD cruiser
    crowd.
    Getting to the bike, it looks like the trunk will be more shallow but longer. Also, the vertical rad on each side...... didn't John Deere
    use this concept on some of their farm machinery?
    Also, interesting that spyderlovers is allowed to post pics yet Canadian sites have had info and pics removed.
    Interesting that this same material has been removed from sites in Canada. Not sure why that would be. It is obvious that BRP wants these pictures 'Leaked' and I'm sure BRP is doing the leaking.

No, I don't have any inside info. I'm out of the loop just like everyone else. No inside track for me. But you don't get this kind of quality and detail from 'Spy' photos, IMHO.

But why not? BRP has gone to a great deal of time, trouble and expense to birth this baby. Any manufacturer is proud of their product and they want prospective customer feedback without giving away the farm.

This cycle of back and forth is going to begin in earnest all over again once people are able to get their hands (and buns) on one of these new offerings.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I like the new F3 as a cruiser style spyder. It will have a large market for sure. People who ride the RT's will not cross over but I am sure a lot of new younger riders will come into the fold. YEA! It's all good for Spyderdom.
    Seems as though the Spyder and the Slingshot are being compared like they are the same type of vehicle. The only similarities are three wheels and it carries 2 passengers and it looks like the price point is in the same range. If any one can see more similarities let me know. Steering wheel, seats with seat belts, side by side seating, car engine, car transmission, as wide in the front as an F150, and I for one can't see myself sitting 10 or 11 inches from the pavement for very long. Fun? you bet! long distance travel? No storage other than sticking 2 helmets behind the seats. Done. I am sure the Slingshot will have a market. I do not believe it will be pulling from the motorcycle market and if so only very little as in a novelty appliance. I like the Slingshot, I love motorcycles, I like to ride not drive. If I want to drive I will take the car.
    Happy Spyderlovers

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by StanProff View Post
    I like the new F3 as a cruiser style spyder. It will have a large market for sure. People who ride the RT's will not cross over but I am sure a lot of new younger riders will come into the fold. YEA! It's all good for Spyderdom.
    Seems as though the Spyder and the Slingshot are being compared like they are the same type of vehicle. The only similarities are three wheels and it carries 2 passengers and it looks like the price point is in the same range. If any one can see more similarities let me know. Steering wheel, seats with seat belts, side by side seating, car engine, car transmission, as wide in the front as an F150, and I for one can't see myself sitting 10 or 11 inches from the pavement for very long. Fun? you bet! long distance travel? No storage other than sticking 2 helmets behind the seats. Done. I am sure the Slingshot will have a market. I do not believe it will be pulling from the motorcycle market and if so only very little as in a novelty appliance. I like the Slingshot, I love motorcycles, I like to ride not drive. If I want to drive I will take the car.
    My take exactly. The Slingshot will have a market just like the T-Rex. But people who buy one are not very interested in a Spyder in the 1st place, and Vice-Versa.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Interesting that this same material has been removed from sites in Canada. Not sure why that would be. It is obvious that BRP wants these pictures 'Leaked' and I'm sure BRP is doing the leaking.

No, I don't have any inside info. I'm out of the loop just like everyone else. No inside track for me. But you don't get this kind of quality and detail from 'Spy' photos, IMHO.

But why not? BRP has gone to a great deal of time, trouble and expense to birth this baby. Any manufacturer is proud of their product and they want prospective customer feedback without giving away the farm.

This cycle of back and forth is going to begin in earnest all over again once people are able to get their hands (and buns) on one of these new offerings.

This was a professional shoot!

It was shot in downtown LA on Traction Ave and 3rd St.
    If you look at the first picture of the guy with the beard, here is the graffiti art behind him.

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0452...JII0cAcBdg!2e0

Also look at picture #10 and you can see one of the cameras. That is a high end Hollywood camera for sure!

So leaked aint the word for it, this cost money and was on purpose.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default True

It is pretty that you can also the Video trucks in the foreground and background in some cases. I would bet that this is pretty close to a finished product. And we are giving BRP plenty of feedback. I am sure they are getting a kick out of this
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by StanProff View Post
    I was going to say something to the same effect about the Slingshot....it's a three wheeled car that you have to wear a helmet in. There's nothing motorcycle like about it. It's still cool just not on the same page or even the same book as the Spyder.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I like the Slingshot. Not as a Spyder competion but for what it is. It'll kick the RS in the corners with a lower CG. Once the aftermarket comes out with a turbo for the motor, the power will be way more than any stock Spyder. But I digress.

As for the Spyder, the RT and ST folks can sit this one out. Stripped down, the F3 is clearly not aimed at them. The RS/RSS folks can also chill out, as this doesn't seem to be a performance oriented corner carving model either. In short BRP is producing an armchair that you can rip up and down the boulevard with saying "hey look at me!", nothing more. Clearly BRP is aiming for the power cruiser segment.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Lamont,

Have you driven one of these F3's? Not asking your impression (in case you have), just a yes or no answer.
    Last edited by wyliec; 08-19-2014 at 09:51 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    Okay Bro are you ready for this? Here it comes....................I agree with you .........this thing is a Hotrod and it is BadA$$ and if the guys like you and Mickey Fisher like it then they did good. I see it as a blank canvas with lots of potential to make it my own just like all my cruiser bikes.
    I agree with the "blank canvas" point. As soon as I look at it, I think of what it could be with some paint, rims and a big long pipe. Something really loud. I would be taking those rims to the powder coater almost immediately. How about a sissy bar and some ape hangers?
    2010 RTS and 2013 RSS

Spyder Garage

My other question about the F3 is...where is the windshield? Where would it attach? With that riding postion it would be a real pain to keep upright. The new valkyrie was the same thing when I rode it. It took a lot of effort to hold on the handlebars without a windshield a higher speeds.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bscrive View Post
    My other question about the F3 is...where is the windshield? Where would it attach? With that riding postion it would be a real pain to keep upright. The new valkyrie was the same thing when I rode it. It took a lot of effort to hold on the handlebars without a windshield a higher speeds.
    If it can be done the A/M people will do it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    As for the Spyder, the RT and ST folks can sit this one out. Stripped down, the F3 is clearly not aimed at them. The RS/RSS folks can also chill out, as this doesn't seem to be a performance oriented corner carving model either. In short BRP is producing an armchair that you can rip up and down the boulevard with saying "hey look at me!", nothing more. Clearly BRP is aiming for the power cruiser segment.

Hey y'all...new member here. Keeping my fingers crossed this F3 is not a direct RSS replacement...plan is to get a 2015 RSS as a graduation gift in the spring. It will be my first ever sports bike purchase. I'm NOT a fan of the 'rawness' of this F3 model. Here's hoping BRP doesn't forget about us younger customers!
    - CJ
    DET | DAL | NYC

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bscrive View Post
    If you look at pic 3 , There is a windshield, Think it does need it and makes it look so much better and finished, Have to say "awsome job brb, bad in every way"

Spyder Garage

Default Does anyone see a

brake pedal? I must be missing it...
    Lets ride!!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    If it can be done the A/M people will do it.
    I agree. A wind shield is a mast; I can't imagine highway speed riding without one. On the other hand, a large shield would not look good on this machine.
    Overall I love the side view, love it. The front looks little like high performance lawn tractor to me.
    With wilder more aggressive front wheels and pipes it would look like machine from old Mad Max movie. Kind of cool.