Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default all it needs

is a madstad, and a sound system, and a custom exhaust, and it's down the road.
    it was fun while it lasted.

Spyder Garage

Default Price will be key

Quote Originally Posted by daveinva View Post
    So, obviously everything I'm going to write is based on *photos* and (informed) anecdotal conjecture, so take it with lots of salt.

But I'm really fixated on the F3 as BRP's choice to build a "boulevard cruiser" instead of a sporty replacement for the RS.

Impartially, this makes some sense in many areas-- and no sense at all in others.

Sense:
    1. The RS appealed to a crowd that didn't really exist: aggressive sport riders who DON'T ride two wheels. BRP tried to create this market with the GS (and the RS), but once the RT came along, the natural Spyder demo (older with disposable income) immediately abandoned the RS in favor of what the vast majority of Spyder owners wanted all along: a touring bike that they could ride once they no longer wanted to/could ride two wheels.

By the end, the only people buying the RS appeared to be people who *couldn't afford* an ST or RT, or the very casual "toy owner" who put a few thousand miles a year on their Spyder riding it up and down the main drag.

Bottom line: had there had been a real market for a "sport trike," the RS would have made it, or grabbed it. It failed to do so. I don't begrudge BRP trying something new.

2. Without a sporty trike, since BRP still needs something different than the RT and ST to offer the marketplace, it's now trying to replace the RS in a different direction: the high-torque, low-RPM boulevard cruiser. Something low-slung, mean looking, feet-forward, and low-end grunt. If the RS couldn't sell, maybe the F3 will.

After all, if you're a "toy owner," you want something you can cruise on down to coffee or beer, something mean-looking that'll get attention down the main drag. The RS wasn't really that Spyder, but the F3 definitely is.

No sense:
    3. All of the above aside, what's the market for *this*?

The RT has a market; the ST has a (smaller) market. What's the F3 market? I presume they're HD owners who want that cruiser feel on three wheels. But is there really a large group of HD owners-- who, as we all well know, are INSANELY loyal-- looking to jump over to three wheels unless they absolutely have to? Again, that demo is served by the RT, and served well. If you're old enough to need three wheels, you're going there. If you're young enough for two, you're not giving up a Harley for an F3, anymore than sportbikers gave up their Gixxers for the RS.

Now, it could be the crowd that hasn't ridden anything at all, i.e. car owners who want a cruiser but DON'T want to learn how to ride a Harley, may gravitate to the F3. I'm still not sure that market is all that much bigger than the market for the RS-- again, the pull of American iron is overwhelming in popular culture. I guess we'll see.

BREAK-BREAK: all of the above written, here's my REAL worry with the F3: as I wrote a few weeks back, if you wanted a sporty toy, and you're cross-shopping the F3 with a Polaris Slingshot, which one are you going to buy? The RS wasn't strong competition to the Slingshot; the F3 strikes me as even weaker. If you want to go crazy in the twisties and don't want two wheels, you're not any more likely today to give BRP your money; less so, in fact. Instead, BRP is catering to a market that may be even less likely to appear than the (small) market for the RS. Which means that with the F3, BRP could have just ceded the "sporty toy" market completely to Polaris-- and that can't help the Spyder line in the long run.

Anyway, I hope my prognostications are all wrong, and the F3 turns out to be a huge success, and BRP builds all kinds of Spyders for years to come. But I'm more skeptical today than I was yesterday.

P.S. I know I'm an evangelist for the impossible dream, but BRP missed yet another chance to build the leaning Spyder and establish a whole new market segment. If you're going to take a risk, risk big. I fear that the F3 doesn't go far enough, *especially* with Slingshot out there competing in the same price range for recreational dollars.
    Good analysis on the RS market. It will be interesting to see if this replaces the RS or becomes a fourth model at the bottom end of the price range. Based on the minimalist approach, it sure looks like it could be the latter, leaving the RS intact, though maybe with the 1330. If someone could move to a really cool looking 3-wheeler for around $10K, they were cross-shopping from the 750-1300cc class cruiser market, also generally in the same price range. Especially the metric cruiser market. The styling might grab some HD riders, too, but I think the lower end metric cruisers are the target, if the price is right. It's a much more interesting proposition to consider similar (or better) features, eg ABS, for the same price tag, rather than a 50% or more premium to move to 3-wheels, as required with any of the other Spyder models.

if the F3 is priced to attract the cruiser market, then those folks probably aren't cross-shopping the Slingshot. IIRC, the Slingshot is going for at least $20K. I think the Slingshot shoppers are more likely to cross-shop the RS or ST (and RT, to a lesser extent).

Since I came from a metric cruiser before the BMW (and the Spyder was my other choice), the F3 really has me interested. I love the bad a$$ looks of the F3. I want something that will look great either around town, on a 200-mile RTL, or on a 700-mile day riding cross country. That drives a few more requirements for me, like removable saddlebags, Sirius XM, and Bluetooth, along with a windscreen. Time will tell if I can get all of that on an F3...

if the price is right, I think BRP will have a home run with the F3. If someone is looking for a Honda Shadow Aero or Interstate, or similar, I bet they give the F3 more than a second look. If it's in the same price class as an RS, then they may not. YMMV...
    - Carl

2017 Can Am F3-L (current ryde)
    2015 Can Am F3-S (previous ryde)
    2012 BMW K1600 (previous ride)
    2016 Can Am F3-T (wife's)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    You wanna know the funniest part of all of this?
    the battle lines are already being drawn, and almost none of us have even touched it yet; much less stuck our butts in the saddle...
    Nailed it Bob! I like what I see and what I see is BRP moving forward. This is probably not the last new spyder we'll see from them in the future.
    It's better to make your own plans than to be part of someone else's.

pitbull

I'm loving this thing!
    This is going to make the Spyder even cooler, crossing more lines and welcoming more riders both young and old !!!!!! I'm so pumped ! This ain't no low end cheap model this is bad a$$

Had to come out of retirement for this one ! Haters are going to hate and it's not for every one but this added more attitude and horsepower muscle car look that will broaden the Spyder family !!! Way to go brp thank you thank you ,
    like it or love it I'm ready for more models and more pro Spyder people....., if your hating on this then your hating on a grow family!!!!
    F3 you are loved and welcomed! Can't wait to meet you !!!

Excited excited excited!

Spyder Garage

I like it

I don't think the sport model should have a cruiser style saddle and bars but think it will do well" sorry though not rushing out and trading mine in. Like the open look, resembles more like a motorcycle.

be curious to see how mucin that one weighs

Is there any place that this say it is the RS model ,is it possible this is the next ST?
    Last edited by billrob71; 08-18-2014 at 09:29 PM.

Bill

2013 RSS Neutron Green
    BRP HID's and Fogs
    Custom Belt Tension
    2014 side panels
    HMF Exhaust
    K&N air filter
    Bajaron sway bar and links

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It looks like a 3 wheeled version of the Ducati Diavel!

spydee owner

I like it. The wheels -to me - look similar in design to dodge challenger wheels. No doubt there will be bags and windshields galore offered as accessories. The orange and black reminds me of the hood on a Moto-Ski bullet. The shape of the grill reminds me of an early RT prototype pic. In slide 13 they caught a sliver of the back end of what looks like an RT. Not much too go on but something looks different. Overall I think this is a winner for BRP...... that is if it is an actual production machine.

Spyder Garage

I think SS or GT would be more fitting. Does anyone else think it looks like the rider sits waaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy back? Or is it me? Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

After several hours, it is interesting to look at all the opinions that have come up, the sides that are being taken, and the comments good and bad.

If the model shown is an addition to the line, I see a lot of new people coming aboard with the product.

I am not going to be a convert because I am the RT type of customer. I do like the aggressive looks and I do think the new front end is very cool looking.

The boss mentioned that this can be a pallet to make it up your way. I did that with my 2008 GS and had a blast with it.

I guess that it is going to be an interesting month and we find out the actual information then.

Happy speculating until then.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Was dabbling with the photos a bit.

When magnified, it sure looks like the fuel tank in between your legs and up high. Typical moto style.

As for the glimpse of the RT, too difficult to tell. Almost looks more like the current version just in a red paint job. Really not sure though.

PK

Spyder Garage

Looks like they moved the rider back about 4 inches, the swingarm pivot on the earlier models is around even with the rider's spine, on the new ones, it's way forward. Don't know if I'd want to try some of the twisties on this one, have to relearn ryding all over again.

john

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default It's a cool machine BUT

this will be my next one.. I'm one of those blue haired guys
    http://youtu.be/iO6SoC6u_XI
    Last edited by jScotD; 08-18-2014 at 10:24 PM.

Spyder Garage

Baskin Robbins were on to something...not everyone likes the same flavor.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Nice find Baja. Those are some really great photos. If that is what is coming, I think that those looking for an RS with more Ooomph will be getting their wish.

The "ram air" scoops look pretty cool.

I like the new styling also.
    You gotta be kidding! An RS? This isn't even close. A Harley reverse trike maybe since it's clearly a cruiser. I'm disappointed.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    Baskin Robbins were on to something...not everyone likes the same flavor.

Amen to that!

PK

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Ok, I was one of many that didn't like the original 'Spy' pics of the 2015 Spyder. I said it was ugly because that is what I thought based on the pictures I had to make a judgement with.

BUT!

More information and more realistic pictures can change a person's mind and I don't mind that at all. Here is a link to some great pics of what appears to be 'The Real Deal'.

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/all-new-can-am-spyder-f3-efi-spotted-with-no-camouflage-photo-gallery-85370.html

I have always wanted a more naked Spyder and I've said so many times in past posts. So the exposed tubular frame (a bit like the V-Rod) is appealing to me. I like the reinforced, tubular swing arm too.

The whole machine appears to be sitting a bit lower to the ground with changes in the front end to give added ground clearance where it's needed most. If this is true this model should handle even better than the current models. I"m all about handling.

Riding position. I don't care so much what it looks like. Obviously the foot position and controls are forward. A lot like my Suzuki M109R and I can tell you that is very comfortable for me. Also, it looks like the way the foot pegs are mounted and the tubular frame in front of them will give the aftermarket guys a perfect platform for all kinds of foot rest options. Especially for you long legged guys (and gals).

I do like some of the colors better than others but then that's always going to be the case.

Hope you enjoy the added info!
    Sorry but I was hoping for something more sporty. This is not sporty. This is a reverse trike 'cruiser.' If I wanted a Harley I would buy a Harley. I don't like Harley's and I resent BRP building this in place of a go fast handling RS. If this one was in the lineup in addition to a go fast RS then I would have no problem with it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bgame View Post
    Still ugly to me....
    I agree.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FaranH View Post
    Oh, I LIKE it! It's the muscle car of the Spyder line-up.

May not appeal to some, but I've got to believe this may actually widen the Spyder market to the cruiser-types and the 30-45 year olds who might otherwise follow the Harley herd. Can totally see lots of different after-market parts on these....like mini ape-hangers (Joe Peschon of the MOGang was a visionary
    )
    You nailed it - the Harley cruiser crowd. Sigh...

Spyder Garage

It looks like the bike from the Judge Dredd movie remake.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    not my choice but will be for many..but what will it be..?? RS/RSS/ST or a new catagory..??
    I don't know what it will be, but it will NOT be an RS/RSS. This is a freaking cruiser for pete's sake.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    Even if it is the 1330 engine, it may not be the same. Different cams and compression can narrow up the power band and increase the peak power. That would suit a sport rider better.
    Wise up people! This is NOT a sportbike i.e. RS/RSS - this a CRUISER!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Ok, I was one of many that didn't like the original 'Spy' pics of the 2015 Spyder. I said it was ugly because that is what I thought based on the pictures I had to make a judgement with.

BUT!

More information and more realistic pictures can change a person's mind and I don't mind that at all. Here is a link to some great pics of what appears to be 'The Real Deal'.

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/all-new-can-am-spyder-f3-efi-spotted-with-no-camouflage-photo-gallery-85370.html

I have always wanted a more naked Spyder and I've said so many times in past posts. So the exposed tubular frame (a bit like the V-Rod) is appealing to me. I like the reinforced, tubular swing arm too.

The whole machine appears to be sitting a bit lower to the ground with changes in the front end to give added ground clearance where it's needed most. If this is true this model should handle even better than the current models. I"m all about handling.

Riding position. I don't care so much what it looks like. Obviously the foot position and controls are forward. A lot like my Suzuki M109R and I can tell you that is very comfortable for me. Also, it looks like the way the foot pegs are mounted and the tubular frame in front of them will give the aftermarket guys a perfect platform for all kinds of foot rest options. Especially for you long legged guys (and gals).

I do like some of the colors better than others but then that's always going to be the case.

Hope you enjoy the added info!
    After looking at the side views I know exactly what this reminds me of and many of you won't like it. It reminds me of a Honda DN-01. Pull up a pic and compare side views - seating position and all. I hate this whatever it is that BRP might unload on us.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    It looks like a 3 wheeled version of the Ducati Diavel!
    Not even close, not even a little bit. If for nothing else but the riding position which is totally different. The new Spyder looks just like a Honda DN-01 from the side.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I ve owned both an 08' GS and a '10 RT. By far, the 08 being the most fun to ride. I may consider one of these '15 models to drag behind the motorhome. (We are going full time in the coach in October)

I m happy that BRP is targeting a different audience.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

UGLY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My RT 2010 will become to be a collector !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!