Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Spyder Garage

The more I look at it....the better I like it...
    All you after market vendors, looks like time to start over designing new farkels....

....and we're gonna ride, we're gonna ride.....

ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds, with
    the devil close behind,.....we're gonna ride....

2008 GS.....PE # 2888

Spyder Garage

My thoughts (which everyone's been waiting for, right? )

1. Side and rear profiles are great. ESPECIALLY the side profile. Very neat look.
    2. The front headlights/foglights are also sharp.
    3. I do like the exposed frame, almost Ducati-like. That should help with the heat!

Dislikes... sigh:
    1. The front end is better without the camo, but it ain't growing on me. Looks like a catfish mouth.
    2. The handlebars look out of place, way dinky.
    3. Ditto the shorty exhaust. Great to save on weight, but it's lost in that frame.

And 4 and 5, gotta call these out:
    4. The seating position. Look, I know a lot of Spyder owners come from Harleys/cruisers (or *want* Harleys/cruisers). You're used to feet-forward, you like feet-forward.

But... BUT: the Spyder doesn't handle like a cruiser. You need to move your weight around in turns, and the original "sport" position of the stock RS and the standard-like position of the ST/RT help the rider do that. With your feet forward like that, shifting your weight is going to be far harder than on current Spyders. That might make sense for the RT-- that demo might not want to be as aggressive in the twisties (although knowing many, that ain't true ), but on the F3, you're basically telling your market that this here is a boulevard cruiser, NOT a sport carver.

I'd like to reserve final judgment until the demo ride, but feet-forward on a Spyder strikes me as a case of BRP giving the market what it THINKS it wants, not what it REALLY wants (or let alone *needs*).

5. As folks wrote above, the reason we merry RS riders were opposed to putting the 1330 "as is" into the RS is that it clearly isn't a sporty engine. If that is indeed the 1330 in the F3, given that seating position, I'm anticipating they didn't significantly re-tune it-- again, this layout shouts "boulevard cruiser", and NOT sport bike.

Again, BRP's marketers probably thought that's the way to go. Sport bikers weren't about to give up canyon-carving en masse to go to three wheels (particularly since so many make so much fun of it) so why bother making the RS sporty?

As much as it pains me to say it, I think it's clear that BRP at least believes that the RS experiment failed, and the F3 is their attempt to go after a different, potentially more profitable demo. I wish them all the luck.

Oh, and lastly: I thought everyone here at Spyderlovers had long agreed that BRP needed an "entry level" Spyder? Guess this ain't it. Maybe they'll keep the RS around, and just make that even cheaper?
    Last edited by daveinva; 08-18-2014 at 04:38 PM.
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by arntufun View Post
    You know what......................... ? I think it's bad azz !!!!!! I Love the new look !!!!!! Home freakin run !!!!!!!!!! BRP, I knew you wouldn't leave us out !!!!!!!!!!!!

Great job BRP !!!!
    But your PE still isn't worth any extra.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

I wonder on pricing. Any thoughts?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hey Randy!!
    What do you think a PE versio of one of THESE will be worth in about seven years or so??
    Are you gonna pull the trigger, or what???
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by daveinva View Post

4. The seating position. Look, I know a lot of Spyder owners come from Harleys/cruisers (or *want* Harleys/cruisers). You're used to feet-forward, you like feet-forward.

But... BUT: the Spyder doesn't handle like a cruiser. You need to move your weight around in turns, and the original "sport" position of the stock RS and the standard-like position of the ST/RT help the rider do that. With your feet forward like that, shifting your weight is going to be far harder than on current Spyders. That might make sense for the RT-- that demo might not want to be as aggressive in the twisties (although knowing many, that ain't true ), but on the RS, you're basically telling your market that this here is a boulevard cruiser, NOT a sport carver.

I'd like to reserve final judgment until the demo ride, but feet-forward on a Spyder strikes me as a case of BRP giving the market what it THINKS it wants, not what it REALLY wants (or let alone *needs*).

This bothers me as well. Obviously I'll have to ride one but I left my Harley (one of the reasons anyway) because I didn't like the forward controls. I also agree this type of seating position isn't geared for an RS/RSS it's more like an ST. Maybe what we are seeing is an ST replacement?

Someone wrote it looked like the foot pegs slide on the tube. That might true and would be a great feature but you can't slide them back far enough to obtain the "sport" seating position.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The styling says aggressive performance, but the forward controls say let's cruise. Confused at who the target market is. Not the sporty RSS replacement I hope.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I wonder if BRP has finally done a study, and decided that you could put a rider's feet anyplace that they'd be comfortable; once they didn't need them at stoplights anymore...

Spyder Garage

You know what......................... ? I think it's bad azz !!!!!! I Love the new look !!!!!! Home freakin run !!!!!!!!!! BRP, I knew you wouldn't leave us out !!!!!!!!!!!!

Great job BRP !!!!
    Okay Bro are you ready for this? Here it comes....................I agree with you .........this thing is a Hotrod and it is BadA$$ and if the guys like you and Mickey Fisher like it then they did good. I see it as a blank canvas with lots of potential to make it my own just like all my cruiser bikes.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    I like the look for the most part. It will be nice to get my butt on one to get the feel of it. Appears to be an official photo shoot. They will have to delete all the pictures of the orange one with the front tires on backwards.

Noticed the front tires also before reading these posts. Oh well, the installer of them may have some "plainin" to do.

I have seen leaked photos before. Ideally this was staged by BRP to gage reactions, if not...the last photos I saw were a semi secret helicopter and the leaker was canned quickly and the DOD demanded all internet providers remove the photos.

Overall, it is pretty cool. No plans to change what we have, but it would be kind cool to MAYBE have the ability to get more power into our 2014 RTs with some engine mapping, cams if needed and so forth.

Cool link and thanks for posting.

PK

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    Okay Bro are you ready for this? Here it comes....................I agree with you .........this thing is a Hotrod and it is BadA$$ and if the guys like you and Mickey Fisher like it then they did good. I see it as a blank canvas with lots of potential to make it my own just like all my cruiser bikes.
    Can you at least tell us if you've slung a leg over one yet??

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Can you at least tell us if you've slung a leg over one yet??
    If he got to ryde the 1330's last year, I bet he has ridden or even has one in the testing garage. Will he fess up......I am guessing that he cannot right now.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Although I like the tubular frame, the front is still BFU! Nothing there for me, I'll keep my vette for my muscle vehicle and maybe add a Slingshot. The wheels are ugly also, but at least they could be changed.
    Last edited by rnet; 08-18-2014 at 05:15 PM.
    Happy Spyder Owner
    ISCI Floorboards, Ebrake extension peg, Hand Brake, and hyway pegs, tjfisher2 passenger peg extension, BRP 23" Ultra Touring Windshied, Backrest, Fog Lights, 12volt accessory plug, NMN 4" handlebar risers, Auto Zone red LEDs, BRP Comfort seat, Evoluzione sway bar, powerbus, powerlets and air shock.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well... I know he can't tell us what he thinks of them yet...
    I'm just hoping to hear him say that he "might have had a chance"...

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=bgame;859672]Still ugly to me....[/QUOTE I changed my mine, I kind a like it. I think this might be the intro to the younger group, after they do a test ride they might try the other models of the Spyder group. Deanna777
    Last edited by Deanna777; 08-18-2014 at 05:20 PM.

Spyder Garage

Sorry some of you still think it's ugly, I think it's a work of art, looks like it's moving even sitting still. I love it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Nobody has commented on the pillion seat.. or lack thereof. Looks kind of uncomfortable to me, at least not without a backrest option.
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Spyder Garage

It is growing on me, definitely different. And Im sure this would be a new model and not replacing any existing models
    We now have His and Hers Spyders.
    Current Spyder, 2015 F3 Steel Black, Passenger Backrest, Blue Ridge Screen with Xcreen Extention, Akrapovic Muffler, Attitude Handlebars, Blades front rims, RT Swaybar,
    Her Spyder 2011 Magnesium RSS Sportrack and Backrest, Comfort Seat, Grip Puppies, 3.5 inch Riser Bars, Wespyd Signature Swaybar. Hindle Muffler, Godiva Screen, Hiway Pegs Can Am Panniers

Previous Spyders
    2013 ST SM5
    2011 RSS
    2010 RS
    2015 F3 , Black with Blue Graphics

Spyder Garage

Great job BRP !!!!
    I had a feeling that you were going to like this one. I am not going to be in the market though, I am now an RT person and besides...I lost to much money on my phony 2010 RT PE edition #474.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

*IF* those footpegs are indeed adjustable, and are moved all the way back along that tube. And *IF* one scooches all the way forward on the seat, one might get into an almost sporty position; almost. So I'm wondering if BRP is intending to cover all bases, providing those pegs are adjustable.
    JLohPhotos

arntufun

Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    The styling says aggressive performance, but the forward controls say let's cruise. Confused at who the target market is. Not the sporty RSS replacement I hope.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

This is excactly what I would want................... Let me look and sound bad azz at 40 years old, but let me be comfortable after 200 miles !!!! I love it !!!!!

IMO, a pure Spyder RS "sport" owners dream..............................

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    *IF* those footpegs are indeed adjustable, and are moved all the way back along that tube. And *IF* one scooches all the way forward on the seat, one might get into an almost sporty position; almost. So I'm wondering if BRP is intending to cover all bases, providing those pegs are adjustable.
    I doubt sporty, but at least close to *standard* would be an improvement.

Actually, if those pegs *are* adjustable like that, that is an absolutely genius design, especially if they're adjustable on the fly. Cruiser position to eat up the highway miles, stop for gas to slide the pegs to standard position to hit the twisties.

So, I know we're still a month away from the "official" reveal, but c'mon Lamont and co., at least tell us THIS little.
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Spyder Garage

Default i love it

less plastic, more muscular, lower, AND A COMFORTABLE RIDING POSITION WITH FORWARD CONTROLS. i will have one. and it will be black.
    it was fun while it lasted.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I like it more now, seeing it uncovered! I like the open engine concept, and even the front end (which I was sure was just camo!) is starting to grow on me. I am going back to take another look at the pics!
    2012 RT , stock Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tazzel View Post
    50/50 here. Dont like the front end either but I can see that it would allow for a lot of airflow. And I would have to ride it to evaluate that riding position. The bars seem to be a little high. Lets just hope they test this one a little more before they release it. Oh yeah that’s right that’s what we always hope for (doesn’t seem to happen).

I agree. I think the front end is the biggest turn-off. I like the sleek look we have now. I do like the higher bars - maybe I can fit my GoPro on them.

Will have to test ride