Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default NEW OWNERS, NEW MSNSGERS, NEW ATTITUDE!

Quote Originally Posted by kentompkins View Post
    Note: This was written in Montana while on a 7000 mile trip to the Canadian Rockies; I returned two days ago. I was unable to post it while on the road and will do so now. The contents is relevant even though I am home after a spectacular trip.

This is a story about two Jerry's. Jerry 1 works at the Kalispell, MT dealer. Jerry 2 is the Parts Manager at Addictive Powersports in Great Falls, MT. I came in contact with both Jerry's while trying to get a new rear tire on my 2014 Spyder. But I get ahead of myself.

My dealer warned me about getting a tire replaced. When I left NJ I had about 2500 miles on the original tire and I was undertaking a 6000 mile trip to the Canadian Rockies. The tire would be worn down to the bars between 4000 and 5000 miles. Thus, Kalispell seemed a likely place to replace it.

Two days out (at Havre, MT) I called the Kalispell dealer and asked to speak to the Service Manager. I was told he was out but that I could speak to Jerry 1. He was not encouraging. I told him I was on a 6000 mile trip and that the tire was down to the bars. He said that all his mechanics were busy the day I wanted to bring it in. He also wasn't precisely sure he had a tire in stock. I mentioned that, unlike other bikes, I couldn't walk in just anywhere and get a tire installed. I noted that he was the only dealer in Kalispell so I was forced to take it there. He was unmoved though he did say he would check on whether he had a tire in stock and would call me back.

After I hung up I remembered that I had had almost the exact conversation with Jerry1 three years before while on a similar trip. Then I owned a 2008 Spyder GS and I was concerned about its clutch. When I called the dealer in 2012 I was told the Service Manager was not there but that I could speak to Jerry 1. No, he couldn't even look at the bike. No, all of his men were busy. He would call me back; he never did.

I was really stuck. The tire had to be changed. I was going into Canada and was unsure if there were dealers available. I had planned a year for this trip and it appeared that I would have to abandon my plans and head east to find a more helpful dealer.

Enter Jerry 2!

I noted from the Rattigan-Roger app that there was a dealer in Great Falls, MT. If I left the group I was with -- Country Roads Group Riding -- and dashed down to Great Falls, get the tire installed and then re-join the group in Kalispell, things would be fine. So, I called Addictive Powersports and spoke with Jerry 2, the Parts Manager.

Yes, they had a tire and, yes, the could work me in in the next morning promptly at 8:00 AM. They understood I was on the road and Jerry 2 said "they would do everything they could to get me back on the road."

I was there at 8:00, everyone there was genuinely concerned about the bike and the tour. The tire was mounted, put on the bike which was laser aligned and balanced. It took a bit over two hours.

What a difference! Jerry 1 could not have cared less about my problem. Jerry 1 had no other suggestions. Jerry 1 repeated the same script he used on me two years previously.

Jerry 2 cared about me and my Spyder. He understood that someone on the road can have really pressing problems and that they need immediate attention.

Here is the point: the dealer at Kalispell does not seemed concerned or helpful for those of us on the road. Addictive Powersports does and that makes all the difference.

A Note To BRP: If you are going to continue to advertise the Spyder as an "adventure" on the road then you should convince your dealers that it is good business to help us when we are in the adventure you want us to take.
    I had a similar experience with JESCO MARINE & POWER SPORTS back in 2012. I had purchased my 2011 RTS SE-5 the year before, and needed a periodic service. I made an appointment two weeks in advance, called the day before arriving, and showed up on time. It all started the moment I arrived, and didn't end until the moment I left. An uncaring service dept., and uninterested parts and sales depts., and a general attitude of NOT CARING AT ALL. That service appointment took a whopping....... WAIT FOR IT .......... EIGHT (8) HOURS!!!!
    This all changed around Christmas of last year, with new owners, a new serv. mgr., and a much improved attitude. Since then I've had the 3,000 mile service performed, and recommended two friends to them, One of them just purchased a new Spyder from JESCO last week. So, things are looking up.
    Take it from me, their attitude is WAY better than it was back then.
    CapNCrunch
    : =)

Spyder Garage

Default no help in kalispel

I live in GreatFalls also, I recently up graded to a 2014 RT Limited, I have dealt with Addictive Powersports several times, they are always great.
    2014 RT L Lightin' LeeRoy
    1980 CM 400A
    1982 CM 450A
    [/SIGPIC]Lightnin' LeeRoy

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default "not so good side" of equation

Quote Originally Posted by murphybrown View Post
    For those of us that travel ALOT on our Spyders...so nice to have a dealer that "get's it". As all know I am having on going tire issues on my 622 and BRP will only help if you can get to an authorized dealer....and when the closest such dealer is less than willing it makes for a difficult time...OK allll that said to say add Redding CA (Redding Yamaha Ski Do) Kenny Pendleton service manager to the GOOD GUY LIST.... I am needing (down to wear bars) 5th set of trailer tires...this set should get me home and to closest authorized CanAm dealer....I talk to Kenny late Friday afternoon (BRP was also in the loop...BRP is finallllly accepting that there is a problem with my tire eating trailer....albeit BRP gurus were absolutely sure that the correction made at Logan UT dealer---another GOOD GUY) on right side tow-in to 1.5mm was spot on). [sorry guru the proof is in the tire wear...close only works in horseshoes]....[yep I've reached my tolerance level with the trailer tires]...ok I digressed...BRP was going to send me south to Sacramento...I said nope cutting trip short bad trailer wins this one...just get me home and get this fixed. So enter Redding/Kenny...said be here Monday (yes they are open on Monday) at 8:30 a.m. when we open. Yep headed that way in an hour. So allllll that said to say put Redding CA on the good side of the board. I have found the majority of dealers to be helpful.....but have also experienced a similar response from Kalispell on smaller issue and decided they were on the "not so good side" of equation.
    Very interesting discussion. I feel the same about assembling a pro/con dealer list for everyone’s benefit, provided it has data that supports comments and not simply innuendos. 1000 miles ago, I purchased my new 2014 RTS from Redding Yamaha. During my pre purchase research, I surveyed a dozen dealers in the Oregon, Northern California and Nevada areas. I advised each one I was searching for a 3000-mile service as I was on a trip with a new RTS and I’d need a service soon. I said I could be in their area during the following week and asked if they had an appointment available for a service. Only one dealer with in a 600-mile radius of Northern California said, “sure, come in and I’ll be glad to get you in and out of here as quickly as I can, just let meknow when you’ll be here.” No other dealer could get to me for more than a week. Therefore, the moral of the stories here, is pre plan your trips carefully and don’t take off with only a 1000 or less miles left on your tires or your service interval. You could be stuck in Kalispell or Mayberry with no help in sight for a long long time. Happy trails.
    Last edited by 2dogs; 08-24-2014 at 05:21 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Very interesting discussion. I feel the same about assembling a pro/con dealer list for everyone’s benefit, provided it has data that supports comments and not simply innuendos. 1000 miles ago, I purchased my new 2014 RTS from Redding Yamaha. During my pre purchase research, I surveyed a dozen dealers in the Oregon, Northern California and Nevada areas. I advised each one I was searching for a 3000-mile service as I was on a trip with a new RTS and I’d need a service soon. I said I could be in their area during the following week and asked if they had an appointment available for a service. Only one dealer with in a 600-mile radius of Northern California said, “sure, come in and I’ll be glad to get you in and out of here as quickly as I can, just let meknow when you’ll be here.” No other dealer could get to me for more than a week. Therefore, the moral of the stories here, is pre plan your trips carefully and don’t take off with only a 1000 or less miles left on your tires or your service interval. You could be stuck in Kalispell or Mayberry with no help in sight for a long long time. Happy trails.
    The bad dealer list idea has come up a few times. The consensus which I also agree with--is probably not a good idea.

The persistently bad dealers do get a lot of press and free advertising--that is a positive and good information.

One unhappy customer at a dealer does not make for a bad dealer. A person like this, with a vendetta, can screw a dealer over pretty good.

Perfect e.g. We went to the best B&B that I have been to in Alaska, a couple weeks ago. There was only one negative review out of about 2 dozen. The problem, they charged the party for the third adult they had brought along. Most hotels rates are based on per person. From there, the rant was on and they ripped the place a new one. None of the things they ranted about were even noticeable to us. So...in our situation, a person with a vendetta trying to ruin the business.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 08-24-2014 at 07:29 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    The bad dealer list idea has come up a few times. The consensus which I also agree with--is probably not a good idea.

The persistently bad dealers do get a lot of press and free advertising--that is a positive and good information.

One unhappy customer at a dealer does not make for a bad dealer. A person like this, with a vendetta, can screw a dealer over pretty good.

Perfect e.g. We went to the best B&B that I have been to in Alaska, a couple weeks ago. There was only one negative review out of about 2 dozen. The problem, they charged the party for the third adult they had brought along. Most hotels rates are based on per person. From there, the rant was on and they ripped the place a new one. None of the things they ranted about were even noticeable to us. So...in our situation, a person with a vendetta trying to ruin the business.
    Ok then let’s meet somewhere in the middle. Do as eBay does and simply rate the dealer. I do not buy from any eBay seller who has under a 99.5% rating no matter what the price is. I think eBay’s system is a very good system. It weeds out the bad sellers and directs customers to good sellers. I’ve experienced both good and bad retailers and they all have the same earmarks. In my opinion I feel it is important to direct future buyers toward good dealerships and away from the bad ones who they’ll regret having done business with after the fact. You know as well as I do that there are bad dealers out there and eventually they go out of business. I think we should help them to meet that end and reward good dealers who will bend over backwards to provide quality customer service.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Ok then let’s meet somewhere in the middle. Do as eBay does and simply rate the dealer. I do not buy from any eBay seller who has under a 99.5% rating no matter what the price is. I think eBay’s system is a very good system. It weeds out the bad sellers and directs customers to good sellers. I’ve experienced both good and bad retailers and they all have the same earmarks. In my opinion I feel it is important to direct future buyers toward good dealerships and away from the bad ones who they’ll regret having done business with after the fact. You know as well as I do that there are bad dealers out there and eventually they go out of business. I think we should help them to meet that end and reward good dealers who will bend over backwards to provide quality customer service.
    Points well taken. Let's see what others have to say.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Time to dump on the Kalispell dealer some more. I was in Kalispell to meet with my 2 boys and families for a weekend of camping. Just outside of Kalispell I hit about 5 miles of fresh chipseal. Being in a line of traffic I rode it out. The rocks were ticking off the bottom of the bike and I felt a couple of shutters and I knew some had gone through the belt. I had a noticeable vibration after that and I couldn't see any thing wrong other than rocks in my tires which I picked out. Friday I went to the dealer in Kalispell explained my problem and was told there was a week and a half wait to get me in...What,to check the belt for damage??? I rode the bike home 600 miles. Long story short I had 4 or 5 rocks embedded in my belt that my dealer's service department took out....Ffun Motorsports, Saskatoon.....no charge. What can I say but you gotta like a dealer like that.

Spyder Garage

Default Kalispell; Jesco

Very interesting discussion and timely.... I bought my 2014 RT-S from Jesco this spring and had a good experience with the sales department... Also ended up with a rock chip in my belt and had them replace it and they did a good and timely job. I'm going in Friday this week to get my first 3000 service (actually have over 3000 but was on a trip and wanted to wait until home to do the first service). I do know that they are very busy and yes i had to wait a week before they had time, but that really didn't bother me. I was going to have them do some other work on my Syder, but think i will wait and see how the service goes. I also might mention to them about this tread and list and see if anything comes of it. If things don't go well, i guess i'll just have to visit relatives in Great Falls...

Spyder Garage

Default Me Too !

Amazing ! I had the same treatment at the Kalispell dealership with a back tire 2 years ago while I was on a long trip. I don't remember who the individual was. They told me they do not do back tires, and suggested that I try the Harley dealership down the road. There was another Spyderlover waiting outside the dealership that morning, hoping to get some help with his Spyder. He also left there shaking his head and not getting the help he needed.