Thread: '14 CB issue

Spyder Garage

Default '14 CB issue

The other day we went on a few hour ride. As soon as we left, the AM/FM radio, GPS, CB, cellphone, and intercom only had static. No matter what I did, turn each off and on, or all off and on, just static. We stopped for lunch an hour or so later. After about a 30 minute lunch, I started the bike and everything worked perfectly. No problems what so ever. This is after the dealer did the '14 CB system replacement two weeks earlier. I called the dealer and they told me to bring it in. The Garmin does have the 5.10 firmware update as well. Anyone else have this problem?
    Last edited by stevedfive; 08-17-2014 at 11:34 PM.
    2014 Timeless Black RTS/SE - BRP CB/Comm System; BRP Zumo 660 GPS System; BRP Cellphone Interface; BRP ST-1 Helmets w/BRP Headsets; BRP XM Radio; BRP Tri-Axis Handlebars; BRP Adj Wind Deflectors; BRP Adj Vent Windshield; BRP Comfort Seat & Utopia Backrest; Corbin Armrests; HMT Brake Light; TricLED 3/4 Brake & Running Lights; TricLED Fender Lights & Rr Cargo Lights; CD Fender TIPS Kit; Bump Skid; Scorpio i900 Alarm; Touratech GPS Locking Mount; NBV Highway Mounts; BBP Brake Pedal, Stebel horn.

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear your news.
    Evidently there is some fundamental flaw in the design of teh 2014 CB/Intercom system. BRP no longer includes the wired CB as an option in their catalog when ordering up a new 2014 (something I hope to to pick up by the end of this week).

I've never been wholly satisfied with the communication on my 2010. The Cell Phone interface crapped out after the first year, and this year my CB crapped the bed also.
    VOX for the intercom is less than perfect. I seem to have to settings. Sensitive enough for normal speech makes the music kick out when the wind blows. Desensitizing the VOX means we have to shout at each other, or we lose the first few words of every sentence.
    I am reluctant to switch to all bluetooth communication, I'm afraid that seems to be the best choice for the 2014. There is also a module available to convert just about any portable CB into a bluetooth compatible unit.

I hope it all works out for you. I like your set-up best, when it works. I'm not fond of all the little chargers I need now for cell-phone, tablet, pad, computer, my son's phone and my girlfriend's phone. Now I'm going to have to keep my helmets charged.

I didn't mean to hijack your thread. Keep us posted on your situation. You're one of the good guys. I hope it all works out for you.
    If BRP gets their wired setup working right, that will be a boon for all of us.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

The sad thing is it worked flawlessly for the six months. I hope it's something like a glitch where the bike computer just didn't recognize it during startup. I will take it into the dealer next week. Keeping my fingers crossed.
    2014 Timeless Black RTS/SE - BRP CB/Comm System; BRP Zumo 660 GPS System; BRP Cellphone Interface; BRP ST-1 Helmets w/BRP Headsets; BRP XM Radio; BRP Tri-Axis Handlebars; BRP Adj Wind Deflectors; BRP Adj Vent Windshield; BRP Comfort Seat & Utopia Backrest; Corbin Armrests; HMT Brake Light; TricLED 3/4 Brake & Running Lights; TricLED Fender Lights & Rr Cargo Lights; CD Fender TIPS Kit; Bump Skid; Scorpio i900 Alarm; Touratech GPS Locking Mount; NBV Highway Mounts; BBP Brake Pedal, Stebel horn.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stevedfive View Post
    The sad thing is it worked flawlessly for the six months. I hope it's something like a glitch where the bike computer just didn't recognize it during startup. I will take it into the dealer next week. Keeping my fingers crossed.
    I don't have the CB but on occasion I have trouble with the BT Dongle. I will not get output from the radio to the dongle. Just a small amount of electrical noise. Cycling the key off and on fixes the problem. Maybe something similar happening with the CB.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Took another ryde today for about an hour or so and then dropped by the dealer. Told them everything is working again and I didn't want to just leave it when it's all working. Dealer said they would call BRP and let them know the issues and see if they have any suggestions. I said if it happens again, I would record it on my phone and then bring the bike in.

Spyder Garage

Well, it happened again, but worse. CB reception was about 50 feet. The prior CB worked wonderfully until the CB radio cable connector broke. BRP replaced the entire system. Very disappointing and very unhappy to say the least. Off to the dealer next Tuesday.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

That's a shame because I was just about to talk to my dealer about replacing the BT in mine with a CB system.

Spyder Garage

Well, it happened again, but worse. CB reception was about 50 feet. The prior CB worked wonderfully until the CB radio cable connector broke. BRP replaced the entire system. Very disappointing and very unhappy to say the least. Off to the dealer next Tuesday.
    That's unfortunate. You're one of the good guys and deserve the best.
    I'm going to try the bluetooth route and see how it works.
    I'm not fond of the idea of plugging in the helmets every night, but I'll hope for the best.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

I have had a CB for 4 years on the 10 and and had the first CB on the 14 for seven months, it was awesome. Crystal clear and about 1/2 to 1 mile in range. Then the radio cable connector became loose and broke the internal wire connection. I really hope they get it figured out, we love the wired system. In hindsight, I really wished they had just sent the radio to Radio Sound to repair the connector. BT didn't work at all for us, lasted three days on the bike. BRP has never let me down before, no reason to believe they won't get it figured out and working great again.
    Last edited by stevedfive; 08-22-2014 at 08:48 AM.

Spyder Garage

This time went with the sena bt system and the new 20S sena bt headsets ...awesome combination. The new 20S have dual radios so they can multitask.

Running a Midland handheld CB. Only issue is not able to change cb channels while riding. But never do that with my group rides..

And the new headsets running the latest released version of bt. I don't think anyone else has a bt 4.0 system

Sent from my KFAPWA using Tapatalk
    Last edited by clueless; 08-25-2014 at 09:11 PM.
    2013 Yellow ST-S SM5, Elka Stage1 Rear Shock, 2Brothers Exhaust, K&N Air Filter(soon), TricLED fnt fender LEDs, frnt LED daylight strips, 3rd Rear brake LED, ISCI Hand Brake, BajaRon Sway Bar&Links, Bullant Laser Aligned, Lamont's CAT ByPass, CALSCI Windshield, Works Performance Stage 5 Front Shocks
    Previous = 2010 Blue RT-S Spyder SM5

Spyder Garage

Garmin is great. They are sending me out another GPS device to help find out what the problem is with this dang system. Should have it in about a week.