Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JoeUpchurch View Post
    Billy, how could this be? The jumper post was a solid connection to the battery, the dealer mentioned that they should have caught it at the 4600 inspection - just makes no sense to me - I made sure that the thing was tight from the top. Help, please.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Well if it's not that one there must be others. I do not have 2012 service manual so I can't look it up. Then it still would be a guess. Why not ask the dealer where it was?

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Cool Ground wire to oil tank?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Joe,
    Is your bike now starting normally for you?
    If so...
    My dealer's tech says the ground wire on the oil tank was loose. Now runs as designed. Dealer covered under warranty. Happy to ride again!

Spyder Garage

My dealer's tech says the ground wire on the oil tank was loose. Now runs as designed. Dealer covered under warranty. Happy to ride again!
    Thanks for letting us know. It may help someone else in the future.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Seems there are 3 major chassis grounds, anyone know where the third is ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

One more observation about my 2012 RT Ltd not starting. The next day (after dealer found ground wire to the oil tank loose) I rode for 100 Miles to Ricky Clayborn's house for his laser alignment and back home only to hear the clicking sound once more the next morning. I had forgotten to plug the battery maintainer in and with subsequent testing of everything I could think of I finally found that the iPod in the trunk and the 660 Garmin when left on the Spyder draw just enough current to kill your next start up attempt. I can say that conclusively (I think) because as soon as I hooked up a battery charger set to deliver 40 amps it started strong re than usual. Additionally, by disconnecting the Garmin and the iPod the maintainer indicates full charge a whole lot faster. So, if you have starter problems and you've ruled out everything else - this is something else to check.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

The iPod will be drawing power. Not enough to be concerned about. The Garmin GPS gets it's power from the radio and when the radio turns off with the key, no power goes to the GPS.

On my Spyder the alarm, the BT dongle and my Sena headset are drawing power when parked. I can go for a 1 1/2 weeks before I have any starting trouble. I don't use the maintainer unless I think it will be sitting for more than a week.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

I have a 2011 RT-S, originally battery, always leave Garmin on Bike and IPOD in trunk hooked up. Never has used a battery tender, and never an issue starting... (until I go down later for opening up my big mouth.)

I doubt that is your issue, leaving them on the Spyder. As a note, when I turn bike off, Garman says power lost, turning off in 30 seconds... does your say that?

Spyder Garage

Default Up and running just great!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Joe,
    Is your bike now starting normally for you?
    If so...

Wind in my hair again! Darn - won't start again - called best plus for a tow
    Last edited by Joe Upchurch; 09-04-2014 at 08:31 PM. Reason: Won't start

Spyder Garage

Question Recurring -clicks but won't start- believe it!

Hi everybody,

I've read every post I can find on this subject, pulled every relay, pulled and checked every fuse, tightened every battery terminal, unit shows 12.8 at the battery and the frunk accessory 12 V plug as well as the brunk accessory 12 V plug, The dealer installed a new battery on 5/28/14. My dealer isn't open till Tuesday, anyone got any more suggestions? I suspect bad cell in the battery with less than 300 miles traveled however, no bulging on it. I have a 12V battery load tester and will try that tomorrow.

Appreciate any help - thanks,

Joe
    . Second time BEST PLUSS towed it to dealer!

stopped for gas after 75 mile ride - I guess I'll just have to get used to my BEST PLUSS rep!

Spyder Garage

Question Yes, it does

Quote Originally Posted by Dizneyman View Post
    I have a 2011 RT-S, originally battery, always leave Garmin on Bike and IPOD in trunk hooked up. Never has used a battery tender, and never an issue starting... (until I go down later for opening up my big mouth.)

I doubt that is your issue, leaving them on the Spyder. As a note, when I turn bike off, Garman says power lost, turning off in 30 seconds... does your say that?
    Yes, First time towed they said it was a bad ground at the oil tank - what will they say this time? BEST PLUS pays $200 for every tow, maybe the second time they will find the problem.

Spyder Garage

Default Hi my 2012 has a starting problem too

Hi , my 2012 rts , has a starting problem too. I drive it often & keep it on the batty tender. I put in a new battery. I think it is the start switch on the handle bar. But dealer won't change the switch for me. Transmission in natural, I push the start button & nothing happens.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by project.618 View Post
    Hi , my 2012 rts , has a starting problem too. I drive it often & keep it on the batty tender. I put in a new battery. I think it is the start switch on the handle bar. But dealer won't change the switch for me. Transmission in natural, I push the start button & nothing happens.
    You would be better off starting your own thread so we can deal specifically with your Spyder's starting problem.

When you push the start button and nothing happens it is not a battery problem. As you found out.
    Is the engine stop switch in the run position?
    Is your foot pressing down the brake pedal?
    When you press the brake pedal are the brake lights coming on?
    When you first turn the key on, do you hear the fuel pump run?
    After about a minute after first turning on the key. Does the message "Bad Key" scroll across the screen? Warning it may only do this once.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

So our last post from Joe was that he was going to the dealer again. Did we ever hear any more from him? Do we know if this got resolved and if so what that was? Joe where are you?

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze