Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Extreme Heat on 2013 RT

I rode my 2013 for about an hour in 99 degree heat and the outcome was not good, I actually got burns on my inner thigh from the heat coming from under the seat and heat coming from the right side vent is creating a problem with my foot and lower leg, This was the worse temperature that I have had so far with this Spyder, The gas fumes were worse than I has on my 2008 GS. I am going to sell the Spyder and if I can get enough for it I may buy a 2014. I know the dealer would not give me enough on trade in because they know they can't turn them because of the heat problem.

Spyder Garage

Try this, it's for the RTs too...

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...nels-installed
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Yazz View Post
    No they are not for RT's ST's only
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post

And RS and RSS.

I would of thought they would of come up with something for the RTs but since the 14 changed so much no retros for it kinda sucks

Bill

2013 RSS Neutron Green
    BRP HID's and Fogs
    Custom Belt Tension
    2014 side panels
    HMF Exhaust
    K&N air filter
    Bajaron sway bar and links

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I just had my 2013 RTS wrapped. Found a slight difference in the excessive heat problem area. It is no quieter as some had suggested. Funny thing happened on the way home from the dealer. I stopped for gas and went to start up when I got a limp home message for excessive heat. I gave the engine some gas and it went off. I don't know what that was all about. It rode perfectly fine after that.

The RT-S still smells of gas when it is off and I finished riding it. I had thought the wrapping might have solved that. I guess I was wrong. BRP needs to address the boiling fuel problem.
    Last edited by swmp321; 08-17-2014 at 08:17 PM. Reason: Additional information

Spyder Garage

Sorry that your '13 is giving your bad heat problems. I can vouch though that the '14 RT's have addressed virtually all the heat complaints. I hope you can get the 14!

Only occasionally and at the end of a long day riding the '14, I sometimes "think" there is a little heat radiating up from the drivers seat. But then I forget about it. And that is riding the inland valley in California where temps are well over 100 degrees.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CentralCoastCA View Post
    Sorry that your '13 is giving your bad heat problems. I can vouch though that the '14 RT's have addressed virtually all the heat complaints. I hope you can get the 14!

Only occasionally and at the end of a long day riding the '14, I sometimes "think" there is a little heat radiating up from the drivers seat. But then I forget about it. And that is riding the inland valley in California where temps are well over 100 degrees.

Its really great that you love your 14 and all but...

The 13 owners, myself in particular, are REALLY tired of the advise to replace it with a 14. The idea that we just bought a bike in the last year should now go drop ANOTHER 10 to 15k to get one we can actually ride due to BRPs design faults. THAT IS NOT advise or helpful. Its a blatant and unwanted nose rubbing. Yeah great, you love your 14, we paid our money and should be able to love ours too.

Hey, why don't you suggest all the 14 owners get together and start a fund to help all the 13 owners get what they already paid for. About 10k from each 14 owner should be about sufficient to make this work.....Yeah, did not think so.

Go enjoy your 14 but the next time you feel the need to tell a 13 owner they need to upgrade to a 14 at their own expense, DONT. Its very unkind and rude.
    Last edited by jcthorne; 08-17-2014 at 05:37 AM.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ekfraz View Post
    I rode my 2013 for about an hour in 99 degree heat and the outcome was not good, I actually got burns on my inner thigh from the heat coming from under the seat and heat coming from the right side vent is creating a problem with my foot and lower leg, This was the worse temperature that I have had so far with this Spyder, The gas fumes were worse than I has on my 2008 GS. I am going to sell the Spyder and if I can get enough for it I may buy a 2014. I know the dealer would not give me enough on trade in because they know they can't turn them because of the heat problem.
    You don't have to sell it unless you really want to. There are plenty of 2013 RT owners who have resolved the heat problem , or at least made it manageable. Several have posted messages here describing what they have done in order to help others resolve the problem.

Do a forum search using key word "heat" in thread titles only, sorted in date order for the latest ideas... lots of information mixed in there.

Here is what I did to resolve the seat heat problem.

Here is a particularly good thread that talks about the heat problem for both the seat and the right foot.

These are just for starters. There's also stuff like JT´s air filter mod, and more that can be found with other searches and key words.
    Last edited by robmorg; 08-17-2014 at 10:18 AM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

Default Extreme Heat

Those of you who have extreme heat problems, problems with the gas boiling, and or heavy gas smell after riding need to report this to the NHTSB Board. I did and they called and are gathering info to hopefully get BRP to take action to fix all of these problems. Help yourself and help others. It's working and I know for sure that they (the Feds) are watching this forum.

Spyder Garage

Default Bummer..!!

really sorry to hear that..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post

The 13 owners, myself in particular, are REALLY tired of the advise. The idea that we just bought a bike in the last year should now go drop ANOTHER 10 to 15k to get one we can actually ride due to BRPs design faults. THAT IS NOT advise or helpful. Its a blatant and unwanted nose rubbing. Yeah great, you love your 14, we paid our money and should be able to love ours too.

Hey, why don't you suggest all the 14 owners get together and start a fund to help all the 13 owners get what they already paid for. About 10k from each 14 owner should be about sufficient to make this work.....Yeah, did not think so.

Go enjoy your 14 but the next time you feel the need to tell a 13 owner they need to upgrade to a 14 at their own expense, DONT. Its very unkind and rude.
    I can understand your feelings totally.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

The 13 owners, myself in particular, are REALLY tired of the advise. The idea that we just bought a bike in the last year should now go drop ANOTHER 10 to 15k to get one we can actually ride due to BRPs design faults. THAT IS NOT advise or helpful. Its a blatant and unwanted nose rubbing. Yeah great, you love your 14, we paid our money and should be able to love ours too.

Spyder Garage

@ original poster, if you have a stock unmodified machine, I would say you and your machine are the ones the NHTSA Inspectors should be looking closely at.

Sorry to read about your burns, and machine problems.

I believe this is the link to complete some simple info to register your situation.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/Vehicl...nt/index.xhtml

PK

Spyder Garage

Default heat issues

I filed a complaint with NHTSA no reply yet.

Spyder Garage

I filed a complaint with NHTSA no reply yet.
    An excellent first step.

Without knowing your mechanical skills or funding to mod the machine, it may be a good plan to list goals and budget.

The current trends from other topics are to modify or get the fuel mixture richened up, done best with an aftermarket add on device, Removing the catalytic converter. While more labor intense, modifying body panels or under trays, applying heat control products to exhaust pipes, or removing the oem airbox setup.

You are likely aware of the posts here about the heat and also the modifications to help.

All the best with it and sorry to hear about your burns.

PK

Spyder Garage

The 13 owners, myself in particular, are REALLY tired of the advise to replace it with a 14. The idea that we just bought a bike in the last year should now go drop ANOTHER 10 to 15k to get one we can actually ride due to BRPs design faults. THAT IS NOT advise or helpful. Its a blatant and unwanted nose rubbing. Yeah great, you love your 14, we paid our money and should be able to love ours too.

I totally agree with you.... for me it is worse, I couldn't get a 14RT even if I have the money for it, the legistration in my country do not allow the 14RT to be registered here.... and if my 13RT burned down and BRP would give me a new 14RT, I couldn't be able to take it....

Spyder Garage

Have all the updates been performed? I also would get burns on my thighs where the front extensions of the seat went over the Tupperware, and when I lifted the seat, the hole where the seat latch was felt like a chimney. Warranty Bulletin #2013-9 for all 2013 Spyders, was a three part Bulletin that: 1) Resealed of the Front Fuse Boxes and new Fuse Box Covers. 2) Did an ECM Software Update. 3) Replaced Upper Belt Guard retaining screws on RS & ST models. Since having it done, I've put almost 4,000 miles on my 2013 RT LTD and the heat has dropped, significantly. I still get boiling gas after a long (two hours or more) ride, but, since having it performed, my thighs have not been burned, nor is the intense heat coming from the seat latch . . . I resolve the boiling gas by adding gas to the tank, which cools it, and am hopeful that more changes will be coming, especially in the light of the NHTSA investigation on boiling gas. I'm asking Santa for the CAT delete and JT's Air Cleaner, unless something transpires before Christmas with the NHTSA investigation . . .

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CentralCoastCA View Post

Hmm, so CCCA tells the OP that she's sorry he's experiencing heat problems with his '13. She then tells him that she has a '14 and can "vouch" for the fact that BRP did properly address the heat problems with the new model, and then expresses a "hope" that he can swing a new bike, which is what he said he was wanting to do.

So explain to us all how is that "rude" and/or "unkind"? So where in that posting did she "tell" any '13 owner that they "needed" to upgrade?

Your post reads like someone who is bitter at BRP and has a severe case of buyer's remorse over his purchase and is taking it out on another lister.

I've got a better suggestion for you. Instead of us '14 owners who saved our money to buy one, why don't you take it out on BRP instead of picking on another lister who expressed sympathy to the OP with a problem.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The finger pointing has been going on for over a year now...
    ALL of the 2013 owners have been told by the 2014 owners, that they bought a year too soon;
    You're right; it doesn't help the situation a bit.
    but what does... are all fo the threads that deal with how to reduce the heat under the Tupperware...
    Search them out, and picjk the course of attack that you can make work for you!
    And be sure to let everybody know the results!
    Good Luck!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Unhappy A bit of advice

Before you start spending tons of cash trying to fix what you may not be able to. I would suggest you read everything that was done by 'datguy' in his attempt to slay the dragon.

Then remember....after all he did. It all went up in smoke....on a 95 degree day, and not far from home (meaning his spyder hadn't really warmed up yet).

Then again, if you wait for NHTSA to conclude their investigation and any corrections that MAY come about as a result of it. You will likely be a year or two older.

Sometimes we're damned if we do and damned if we don't.
    Last edited by Jeriatric; 08-17-2014 at 12:27 PM.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    Sorry about that... Thought there was light at the end of the tunnel for All the '13s heat problems.
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    Before you start spending tons of cash trying to fix what you may not be able to. I would suggest you read everything that was done by 'datguy' in his attempt to slay the dragon.

Then remember....after all he did. It all went up in smoke....on a 95 degree day, and not far from home (meaning his spyder hadn't really warmed up yet).

Then again, if you wait for NHTSA to conclude their investigation and any corrections that MAY come about as a result of it. You will likely be a year or two older.

Sometimes we're dammed if we do and dammed if we don't.
    Jerbear,

I could be wrong, but I thought I saw a post by Dat Guy where he said that the only significant thing that he had done by way of trying to rectify the heat was to wrap the exhaust headers. Also we don't really know what was actually going on under Dat Guy's cowlings that played a hand in his unfortunate incident. Faulty purge valve? Some other fault with the EVAP system? Something melted before he did the 2013-8 update? Could have been any one of a number of things, in conjunction with the excess heat, that contributed to that fire.

I think the best advise to 2013 owners is... FIRST make sure you have done BOTH the 2013-8 and 2013-9 warranty updates and then do whatever else you can NOW to remedy the heat, instead of waiting for BRP to make up their mind what, if anything, they are going to do as a result of the NHTSA investigation. There have been lots of options described here in the forum that can help. I'm sure you are not regretting spending the time and money you did to resolve your heat problem, nor do I. We both are enjoying our Spyders a lot more now, right?

BTW, I'm not sure if I ever properly thanked you for your "Slaying the Dragon" post. I used many of your suggestions concerning the use of reflective heat tape and expanded on them a bit. That yielded great results for me, along with wrapping the headers, which I also think helped.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

Red face Looking back...

Quote Originally Posted by robmorg View Post
    Jerbear,

I could be wrong, but I thought I saw a post by Dat Guy where he said that the only significant thing that he had done by way of trying to rectify the heat was to wrap the exhaust headers. Also we don't really know what was actually going on under Dat Guy's cowlings that played a hand in his unfortunate incident. Faulty purge valve? Some other fault with the EVAP system? Something melted before he did the 2013-8 update? Could have been any one of a number of things, in conjunction with the excess heat, that contributed to that fire.

I think the best advise to 2013 owners is... FIRST make sure you have done BOTH the 2013-8 and 2013-9 warranty updates and then do whatever else you can NOW to remedy the heat, instead of waiting for BRP to make up their mind what, if anything, they are going to do as a result of the NHTSA investigation. There have been lots of options described here in the forum that can help. I'm sure you are not regretting spending the time and money you did to resolve your heat problem, nor do I. We both are enjoying our Spyders a lot more now, right?

BTW, I'm not sure if I ever properly thanked you for your "Slaying the Dragon" post. I used many of your suggestions concerning the use of reflective heat tape and expanded on them a bit. That yielded great results for me, along with wrapping the headers, which I also think helped.
    It appears Dat Guy has edited (erased) at least some of his heat related statements, findings and or fixes. Tho, the comments to those posts are generally intact.

Thanks for the compliment. It's nice to know the post helped someone.
    Last edited by Jeriatric; 08-17-2014 at 01:57 PM.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KX5062 View Post
    Hmm, so CCCA tells the OP that she's sorry he's experiencing heat problems with his '13. She then tells him that she has a '14 and can "vouch" for the fact that BRP did properly address the heat problems with the new model, and then expresses a "hope" that he can swing a new bike, which is what he said he was wanting to do.

So explain to us all how is that "rude" and/or "unkind"? So where in that posting did she "tell" any '13 owner that they "needed" to upgrade?

Your post reads like someone who is bitter at BRP and has a severe case of buyer's remorse over his purchase and is taking it out on another lister.

I've got a better suggestion for you. Instead of us '14 owners who saved our money to buy one, why don't you take it out on BRP instead of picking on another lister who expressed sympathy to the OP with a problem.

Lets just agree to disagree. Your interpretation of the post is not mine, nor how I and others read it. We 13 owners saved our money and handed it over to BRP as well. Lets get back to solving the problems.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Default Heat / Fix it your self

I rode my 13 RT Sunday ,My air Temp gauge was 102 and the heat gauge for the Motor was a little way below 1/2. After about 250 miles I started getting hot myself. But not a bad ride for Houston,Tx this time of year.