Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

I've only seen one comment on the rider's leg position - if THAT becomes real, it would be terrific! I have alway liked forward controls, and would keep the Spyder in line with the new V-rod trike. But then, I'm a lot taller than the average bear...
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

Default Well put..!!

experience speaks wisest. You will never please everyone but if you have nothing nice to say don't say anything at all. Amazing how many comment on a covered up vehicle, a prototype with no pssible knowledge of the final product. I think it is fear that it will date their current ryde pushing them to move to the new model to be in...jmo..thanks for the words of wisdom....now do you have any gossip..??
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Red face The votes that count,

are made with the 'GREEN' stuff. $$$$$

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Default I do not think that folks offering an opinion

(quote)"The good thing is BRP is not done with the Spyder and even though some of you may not be liking what you see now you best be thankful they haven't decided to drop the line all together".(unquote)

that may differ from others (with financial interest) classifies them as haters, typically in fact many Companies leak these types of photos to the press for the exact reason of viewing feedback from participants whom are typically owners of the products. Many manufacturers that drop a product or product line typically blame costs blah blah blah, but seldom state they simply did not provide a product the market wanted or was ready for. I also take the label haters with a grain of salt as the labeler has a certain financial interest, and many of those making their comments are consumers only.

As for the highlighted comment, again setting aside the financial interest of the author, I see a certain hint of condescension. Rather than telling me I "best be thankful" for anything, the author and BRP should perhaps remove those rose colored glasses and put down the Kool-aid. BRP controls the Spyder product line, but the free market owns it, and the owners should be allowed their opinion, without being labeled with a broad brush. By the way, does anyone know why they dropped the boat line of products?
    Lets ride!!!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default U G L Y !!

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    Like most of you I was very surprised to see these photos pop up on www.Motorcycle.com yesterday. So what should we gather from these pictures?

First thing for sure is we don't know if this is a 2015 Spyder or not. BRP is an innovating company that test many prototype products around the world and even the ones they have shown to the world have yet to come to market like the hybrid Can-Am Spyder This could be another prototype that may or may not come to market. The good thing is BRP is not done with the Spyder and even though some of you may not be liking what you see now you best be thankful they haven't decided to drop the line all together.

I've been running motorcycle message boards for 15 years now and one thing I can tell you that's a constant is haters are going to hate. I've yet to see any new product launch where the majority of the current brand owners loved the new model. Saw this with the Valkyrie when the Standard became a Tour and the Tour became the Interstate. Saw the same thing with the VTX and the Goldwing. But you know what, after the smoke died down the new model became the standard and the next change brought along a whole new group of haters. The Goldwing was classic as the change was so small that only a Goldwing owner would notice and yet the chatter of how "ugly" it was made me laugh. Then the F6B came out and oh my the haters came out of the woodwork for that bike. It was the exact same bike they were riding without the trunk, that's it. But in these groups there were always a small group that liked the new model, they embraced change and weren't stuck with what was the current norm. Those small groups become the norm after time and then they become the new haters. It's crazy but that's how it works.

So what do we know for sure? For sure we know that BRP is still on top of their game. They have had some setbacks as we all know and they are working on fixing those issues but are still working on new product development. That's a pretty bold move when you consider they came out with the ST in 2013 and the 1330 RT in 2014. I think we all would agree that the 1330 was a move in the right direction. I know I sure like getting 36 mpg towing a trailer now as opposed to the 26 mpg I got with the 998. So if BRP is not sitting on their hands and the evidence is that they don't we may be looking at a new model Spyder. Will it make it into the 2015 lineup? Is this the finish product? We can't say for sure till Sept. 23 but for sure hate it or love it BRP is still the leader in the reverse trike world and I think will be for many years to come.

I would ask that you would withhold your ugly comments till you see the final product and even if this is the final product it's still part of the Spyder family and "ugly" is an ugly thing to say to a family member.

THIS THING IS JUST PLAIN UGLY! I HOPE THIS IS A REJECTED PROTOTYPE.

CapNCrunch
    : =(

Spyder Garage

Arrow

http://blog.boats.com/2012/09/brp-to.../#.U-4tVmZlC2c

Quote Originally Posted by wis2013rtltd View Post
    By the way, does anyone know why they dropped the boat line of products?

Spyder Garage

Red face One of the things I noticed

Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan_Roger View Post
    You can bet on one thing, if BRP didn't want that thing photographed it wouldn't have been.
    "Spy" photo journalism in everything, with the possible exception of apple products, has always been wink-wink-nudge-nudge.

Looking into the eyes of the rider.........

081414-2015-can-am-spyder-second-generation-spy-03-633x420.jpeg

Ya think he knew?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    Looking into the eyes of the rider.........

081414-2015-can-am-spyder-second-generation-spy-03-633x420.jpeg

Ya think he knew?
    Pretty sure that's a oh crap look.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

When we were at the factory tour this spring I was talking with one of the BRP guys at lunch, He said there was another boat company (the name escapes me now) that bought the boat "engineering tech" from BRP after they stopped making the boats. So the product still lives on in some form.

Personally I'd be more worried about BRP dropping the sled line than the Spyder. Sled sales are a fraction of what they were 10 years ago. I think BRP still has them because they are really were the company started and currently they are the number one seller in that market. I'm sure the profit margin is slim on them.

I don't really appreciate being called a "hater" either. I'm just offering my opinion of like or dislike of what I see in the pictures. I did like the adjustable handle bars. I did like the tube rear swing arm. Overall though from what I can see as the vehicle styling even with the camo I just don't find it attractive. Does that really make me a hater? The "nose" is probably the worst part but if you compare it to the current RT nose its has a lot is similarities in shape. Makes me think it might actually be the real thing. Hope not. As for the "Spyder not being finished yet".....I think its safe to say the '15 are finished and have been for a while. Tooling, assembly line setup, vendor parts aren't something you finish on the release date of a product. That stuff is finished months in advance of a product release. I'm not saying the '15s look like the pictures but whatever they look like has already been decided, the parts are built and they will start assembly soon if they haven't already.

This whole thread feels more like pre reveal damage control to me more than anything else.

Spyder Garage

Default mostly agree

I believe that this was pretty much a forum Rorschach test. These have been knee-jerk reactions to a few pics without a lot of time to analyze and give thoughtful responses (IMHO). I gave a negative opinion initially, but after leaving it for a day and taking another look...not as bad as I thought. Some things may even grow on me...
    That said, innovation does take trial and error....only time and $$ will tell this story!
    Bud~
    ~'12 RT Limited, Pearl White~
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Squared Away Laser Alignment
    Custom Dynamics HMT Brake Light, Front Fender Tips & Kit, Front Mud Flap LEDs, Amber & Red Brightsides, Tri-color Magicflex Channelz
    Lidlox Grip Tip Helmet Locks
    TricLED Mirror Signals, RGB Multi-color Halo Underground Effects Kit, LED Headlights
    Palmer Signs Custom "Captain America" frunk graphics
    Twisted Chrome Pinstripes
    Overland Australian Sheepskin Seat Cover

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Pretty sure that's a oh crap look.
    Caught.jpg

I do believe that you are right!!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Caught.jpg

I do believe that you are right!!
    That's the "Oh crap, when they see these photos, the guys and gals on Spyderlovers are gonna TOTALLY make fun of my ride!"
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I thought that he was thinking:
    " ! This is gonna be all over the internet in about 2 nano-seconds!"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Rodriguez View Post
    When we were at the factory tour this spring I was talking with one of the BRP guys at lunch, He said there was another boat company (the name escapes me now) that bought the boat "engineering tech" from BRP after they stopped making the boats. So the product still lives on in some form.

Personally I'd be more worried about BRP dropping the sled line than the Spyder. Sled sales are a fraction of what they were 10 years ago. I think BRP still has them because they are really were the company started and currently they are the number one seller in that market. I'm sure the profit margin is slim on them.

I don't really appreciate being called a "hater" either. I'm just offering my opinion of like or dislike of what I see in the pictures. I did like the adjustable handle bars. I did like the tube rear swing arm. Overall though from what I can see as the vehicle styling even with the camo I just don't find it attractive. Does that really make me a hater? The "nose" is probably the worst part but if you compare it to the current RT nose its has a lot is similarities in shape. Makes me think it might actually be the real thing. Hope not. As for the "Spyder not being finished yet".....I think its safe to say the '15 are finished and have been for a while. Tooling, assembly line setup, vendor parts aren't something you finish on the release date of a product. That stuff is finished months in advance of a product release. I'm not saying the '15s look like the pictures but whatever they look like has already been decided, the parts are built and they will start assembly soon if they haven't already.

This whole thread feels more like pre reveal damage control to me more than anything else.
    I wasn't speaking to any one person so if you felt I was pointing you out I wasn't or anyone else, what I was pointing out is this is a typical response on any new bike that I've seen. Is it damage control? I don't have control over that but I can voice my opinion just like any other member here and that's what I did. Don't read more into it than it is.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default 2015 rs

If it has the1330, I'm in. Been into trips since my first K75.

Spyder Garage

Speaking of sales; do we have any idea as to what they are, and where they appear to be going?
    The NHTSB report stated that there were 52,000 Spyders made from 2008 through 2014.

I mentioned this in another post but no one reads statistics unless they agree with their own arguments.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 08-15-2014 at 03:05 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cafejimlv View Post
    If it has the1330, I'm in. Been into trips since my first K75.
    BMW's "Flying Brick"?

Spyder Garage

I also mentioned the discontinued word in another (Edit: ) thread. Whether a company continues on with a line or not usually has to do with the numbers. If the line does not show growth or a return on the companies investment--poof--it will be gone.

I am still worried about the aftermath of the 2013 debacle. Depending on how much the government decides BRP will have to pay out to fix/etc. to owners of machines that were not satisfactory, the money could result in big losses to BRP. How much can/will they absorb before they decide to pull the plug?
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 08-15-2014 at 06:13 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I don't have control over that but I can voice my opinion just like any other member here and that's what I did.
    Just remember to follow the rules/regulations of the Administrator, and you'll do just fine. I heard he's kind of a hard nose type.

Spyder Garage

I am also one who is surprised by the action we have seen over the discussion of the teaser pictures of an obvious test vehicle.

What we are seeing, IMO, is not the actual iteration of something that will end up on the showroom floors. It is obvious they are testing components (the lap top), and not necessarily the actual machine that will hit the streets.

A bit premature, IMO, for final judgment as to how it will look, etc.

A great filler to help us make it to the official announcements coming in September.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Whatever it is, my first impression was of an old school street rod. I kind of like it.

Not sure about the guys riding style of cranking his wrist the way he does.

PK

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

There is a precedent...

GREAT little motorized snowshoe!
    Hey BOB our family had one of those 1974 SKI-DOO Elan 250E electric start awesome sled!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Rodriguez View Post
    Ski-Doo owns the sled market and it is a VERY profitable line for BRP. Spyder is also profitable, so one should worry less about losing this as a product line. To say "be happy we still have the Spyder" is more to pacify those who are grumbling.

I have to wonder what influence there is by the Harley people brought into Spyder marketing. They have been upsetting some of the traditional BRP dealers with their "we want to be more like Harley" mentality. Look at the spy photos closely - what I see is an attempt in styling to attract more Harley owners - and an attempt to let some airflow occur. Remember back, when the Spyder first came out we complained about heat on the rider. They responded and contained the heat from the rider, which led to too much heat containment. So now we see potentially a "new" platform aimed at opening things up to let the heat out, but also could be appealing to a Harley owner, which I am NOT. I just know there are old Harley people now at BRP that are trying to Harley-ize some of the marketing plan. They think it is their path to the promised land. To that I say "ICK". But one has to admit this thing looks more like a bike and less like a sled, even if it still has three wheels. That is what I see.

Please remember that a company like BRP is always developing many prototypes, some of which do not make it to production. What we see here is just that, a prototype, so until it is offered for sale try to contain judgment. Chances are that Chrysler-like bottom front will be there, as will the flatter body style and bike-like rawness. If they do build this, it is not intended to appeal to any of us here. They are aiming at a buyer they have since not been able to reach with great success. They are trying to expand their appeal with a radically different look, yet maintain the core benefits of the Y-factor. IMO.

2021 RT Limited - Deep Marsala Red – 4,200 miles

2013 ST-S SE-5 - Circuit Yellow – 56,000 miles

2015 F3-S SM-6
    - Can-Am Red Solid Gloss – 2,000 miles - SOLD

2008 GS SM-5 Premier Edition #659
    - Full Moon – 34,000 miles - SOLD

2008 GS SM-5 Premier Edition #006
    - Full Moon – 34,800 miles - SOLD

Spyder Garage

The rider was surprised alright. Surprised that the NSA was taking pictures.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

GOS member (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

I do need to apologize for calling the prototype "ugly". The picture was presented as the 2015 model, and not having mechanical knowledge, I was just looking at the Spyder itself. Bruiser, being the ultimate mechanic and technician, explained to me that this was NOT the 2015 and was a test model.

So, I am sorry for my lack of knowledge. Please forgive me