Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Spyder Spy Photos-Lamonster take

Like most of you I was very surprised to see these photos pop up on www.Motorcycle.com yesterday. So what should we gather from these pictures?

First thing for sure is we don't know if this is a 2015 Spyder or not. BRP is an innovating company that test many prototype products around the world and even the ones they have shown to the world have yet to come to market like the hybrid Can-Am Spyder This could be another prototype that may or may not come to market. The good thing is BRP is not done with the Spyder and even though some of you may not be liking what you see now you best be thankful they haven't decided to drop the line all together.

I've been running motorcycle message boards for 15 years now and one thing I can tell you that's a constant is haters are going to hate. I've yet to see any new product launch where the majority of the current brand owners loved the new model. Saw this with the Valkyrie when the Standard became a Tour and the Tour became the Interstate. Saw the same thing with the VTX and the Goldwing. But you know what, after the smoke died down the new model became the standard and the next change brought along a whole new group of haters. The Goldwing was classic as the change was so small that only a Goldwing owner would notice and yet the chatter of how "ugly" it was made me laugh. Then the F6B came out and oh my the haters came out of the woodwork for that bike. It was the exact same bike they were riding without the trunk, that's it. But in these groups there were always a small group that liked the new model, they embraced change and weren't stuck with what was the current norm. Those small groups become the norm after time and then they become the new haters. It's crazy but that's how it works.

So what do we know for sure? For sure we know that BRP is still on top of their game. They have had some setbacks as we all know and they are working on fixing those issues but are still working on new product development. That's a pretty bold move when you consider they came out with the ST in 2013 and the 1330 RT in 2014. I think we all would agree that the 1330 was a move in the right direction. I know I sure like getting 36 mpg towing a trailer now as opposed to the 26 mpg I got with the 998. So if BRP is not sitting on their hands and the evidence is that they don't we may be looking at a new model Spyder. Will it make it into the 2015 lineup? Is this the finish product? We can't say for sure till Sept. 23 but for sure hate it or love it BRP is still the leader in the reverse trike world and I think will be for many years to come.

I would ask that you would withhold your ugly comments till you see the final product and even if this is the final product it's still part of the Spyder family and "ugly" is an ugly thing to say to a family member.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I'm excited. Lots of camouflage there, so hard to envision the final product from it.
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Spyder Garage

It may or may not ugly, remember when it comes to an RS t is what's under the skin that counts, and I want to see it naked!
    Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

Agreed! I stated in another post a few minutes ago, it is a test mule from the looks of it. I think everyone is going to be pleasantly surprised with the overall '15 model line. I might add "surprised and proud". BRP is a progressive company, and not afraid to take chances, or the Spyders would have never been build in the first place. I think it is amazing what they have accomplished in 5 or 6 years. They are the talk of the industry with 3 wheel innovation. I am afraid I might have to put my '10 RT "GT" out to pasture when the '15's get here.
    Happy Spyderlovers

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

just my opinion....there seems to be more openness for air flow...that is a good thing.....but I want to see what's under the canvas .....Sept 23...bring it on

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

Spyder Garage

I seem to notice the I-3 motor siding right next to his leg. and while I'm not too impressed with the beauty of the front, nor the rear fender, and question how the frunk is going to be able to be kept, let alone kept cool (I can keep a couple bottles of water coold few up to 5 hours in the frunk) with the radiators on the outside of it...I'll hold my breath and my final thoughts till the final edition comes out. also, where's the room for the passenger backrest?
    RS - 55K+ miles, F3 - 200 miles and counting.

Spyder Garage

I agree...

Spyder Garage

time will tell.
    Ryde as if your life depends on it,
    because it does !! Ryde Safe!
    Vietnam 67-69

Spyder Garage

Default Same Company

Hey guys, keep in mind, this is the same company that built the Spyder we know and love today, no reason to believe they would do anything to detract from the trend of innovative designs and technology we are accustomed to seeing from BRP.

Just to add, as mentioned above, there is a lot of camo on that bike, and these things seldom look exactly the way POC looks during testing.

I have high hopes, and I can't wait to see whats under the sheet at the reveal this fall.
    2014 Spyder RT Limited , OEM NA Satin Platinum

Spyder Garage

Too hard to tell for sure but I believe this is the entry level Spyder in its preliminary stage, it will be a stripped down version with a 600cc motor and BRP will unveil this at the dealer meeting exactly like they did for the Sea-Doo Spark unveiling the price from right to left, my dealer is guessing the price will be $7,999 and I'm saying $9,999
    I'm sure what ever is released in September will take the market by storm and I'm happy to see BRP is taking steps to fix the heat problems on the 2013's, I expect big things from this company in the future but for 2015, all will be focused on the entry level machine

Jeff M.
    2017 F3-Limited
    2009 GS , Iridium Plugs Red

Spyder Garage

Considering that a whole lot is hidden, calling this ugly is like saying the woman behind the curtain is ugly . . . no basis to make the judgment . . .

curtain.jpg

I'll reserve judgment until BRP opens the curtains in September!

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

But the curtain DOES let your mind just run rampant, with all of the possibilities!

Spyder Garage

Nicely put, Lamont.

I am going to say this to the "haters" out there: if you are just by looking at those pictures (or just by looking at anything first glance), you are making poor a judgment call, and that speaks a lot about a person's level of intelligence.

Look at the picture in particular as an example. First off; this is not exactly what we are going to see for the 2015. Why? Like Mark said, it is covered for testing purposes. I am not an Engineer, but I am a software tester and these things are done to focus on certain areas of testing (at least from a coding perspective). However, notice that the rider has a computer tablet on his lap: I am assuming he is reading data from BUDS while riding or using another type of software to get instant results. In fact, this could not even be a 2015 Spyder but for another model year release test.

The important thing is that BRP is not just stopping there and looking ahead, like we as humans have been doing for centuries. If you fear change, that is what a hater does, regardless of the improvement in your life that particular item can do.

And I am out of the soapbox. FYI I am referring to life in particular, just using Lamont's post as an example. For those waiting for the curtain to open...
    Last edited by bullant12; 08-15-2014 at 08:30 AM.
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    Like most of you I was very surprised to see these photos pop up on www.Motorcycle.com yesterday. So what should we gather from these pictures?
    . . .
    The good thing is BRP is not done with the Spyder and even though some of you may not be liking what you see now you best be thankful they haven't decided to drop the line all together.
    That never even occurred to me!! Has there really been such speculation????

I've been running motorcycle message boards for 15 years now and one thing I can tell you that's a constant is haters are going to hate. . . . Those small groups become the norm after time and then they become the new haters. It's crazy but that's how it works.
    I think calling a dislike of the design in the photos "hate" is a bit harsh.

So what do we know for sure? For sure we know that BRP is still on top of their game. They have had some setbacks as we all know and they are working on fixing those issues but are still working on new product development. That's a pretty bold move when you consider they came out with the ST in 2013 and the 1330 RT in 2014. I think we all would agree that the 1330 was a move in the right direction. I know I sure like getting 36 mpg towing a trailer now as opposed to the 26 mpg I got with the 998. So if BRP is not sitting on their hands and the evidence is that they don't we may be looking at a new model Spyder. Will it make it into the 2015 lineup? Is this the finish product? We can't say for sure till Sept. 23 but for sure hate it or love it BRP is still the leader in the reverse trike world and I think will be for many years to come.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan_Roger View Post
    I still like the name Spyder elan.
    There is a precedent...

Elan.jpg

GREAT little motorized snowshoe!

Spyder Garage

That never even occurred to me!! Has there really been such speculation????
    BRP dropped the boat line so if Spyder sales fall to the level the boats did you can bet it will get dropped.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cool

I made my comments in the 'other' thread...

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...d=1#post858115

In the above picture it looks as if the rider is sitting in the passenger position
    as no passenger seat is in evidence. Although there are grab rails......
    The licence plate is Austrian so the rider is probably a Rotax tester.

(Apologies for earlier saying it was Belgian, seems I'm getting more stupid as I get older!)
    Last edited by OJ UK; 08-15-2014 at 09:03 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

BRP dropped the boat line so if Spyder sales fall to the level the boats did you can bet it will get dropped.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for coming on and posting Lamonster

Been working with car dealer and manufacturers for 25 years the concept statement is good to bring up, just because they have a working model doesn't mean that's what's coming also that could just be a new frame design with some basic plastic stuck on there to house the lights gauges and protect the test person.

In a about a month we will know but can't imagine with the new frame design they just brought out that the currant models are changing that dramatically . I would think the idea of the more competitively price model may be the answer.

Also if anyone know Lamont does But he is a good secret keeper

Bill

2013 RSS Neutron Green
    BRP HID's and Fogs
    Custom Belt Tension
    2014 side panels
    HMF Exhaust
    K&N air filter
    Bajaron sway bar and links

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Speaking of sales; do we have any idea as to what they are, and where they appear to be going?

Spyder Garage

As everyone's written, this thing is camouflaged to within an inch of its life. Having seen plenty of "mule cars" in my time, I wouldn't put much faith in the final appearance here. Heck, this thing could be a test mule for any manner of parts on it, i.e. it could just be a shell to try out the engine/frame/radiators/etc.

That said, my thoughts:

1. I *do* think the final front end is likely close to what it's going to look like, if only because that's a very polished piece of plastic they've got there. That's a lot of design effort just for a mule.

Obviously, it suggests a LOT more airflow than the current design.

2. If there's still a frunk, it looks like a one-helmet-sized one. Fine by me, it's the cheaper model, you get cheaper perks.

3. Can't say I'm a fan of the handlebars and seating position (why go more cruiser-like on your *sport* model??). Maybe it's more comfortable in person, but in photos, that looks like an awkward hunch.

4. That engine is definitely different. Curious what it is...

Bottom line: a little disappointed that the "stripper" model (if that's indeed what this is-- jury's out!) wasn't more radically redesigned, but we'll wait and see what September brings us!
    Last edited by daveinva; 08-15-2014 at 09:12 AM.
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Spyder Garage

I think this was just a ruse on BRP's part . . . the real 2015 RT will fly!

flyingcar.jpg

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

Well said Lamont.

Based on what we know to be the cost of developing of the Spyder, it really amazes me that some of the bean counters in BRP haven't killed it yet. I am very grateful that BRP is obviously very committed to the product and also obviously doing a lot of beta testing.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Like I said before, looks can be deceiving.

New models are not designed and produced in one year. It takes a few years to produce a specific model year. Like OJ said, this could just be a test frame for the engine. We know there are those who have had the privilege of seeing the new models. I'm sure they signed non disclosure agreements. I had to do that with the company I worked for. So lets just wait for September.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards