Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

...Not quite six weeks until the show...
    Tick... Tick... Tick...
    Maybe if we all keep digging around out there on the web; something else will pop up.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MtlBen View Post
    BRP worked so hard with so many jurisdictions to facilitate recognition of their trike as something that does not require a full-blown motorcycle permit that it would be very unlikely that they would venture into a leaning trike design, despite their patent.
    The Spyder is legally recognized as a motorcycle in 49 of 50 states-- only California allows you to ride a Spyder on a car license. Unless the state has separate 2- and 3-wheel licensing tiers (more states are doing this), you most definitely need a "full-blown motorcycle permit" to ride the Spyder (and, technically, a 3-wheel permit is still a "full-blown" permit insofar as you need to pass a separate DMV test/MSF-like course for that).

And, for purposes of licensing, a leaning trike is still a trike, i.e. there's no state that I'm aware of that makes a licensure distinction based on vehicle geometry, they only count the wheels.

Bottom line: this isn't why BRP hasn't put out a leaner.
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by daveinva View Post
    The Spyder is legally recognized as a motorcycle in 49 of 50 states-- only California allows you to ride a Spyder on a car license. Unless the state has separate 2- and 3-wheel licensing tiers (more states are doing this), you most definitely need a "full-blown motorcycle permit" to ride the Spyder (and, technically, a 3-wheel permit is still a "full-blown" permit insofar as you need to pass a separate DMV test/MSF-like course for that).

And, for purposes of licensing, a leaning trike is still a trike, i.e. there's no state that I'm aware of that makes a licensure distinction based on vehicle geometry, they only count the wheels.

FYI you do not need a MC license for a Spyder in SC either. As for the bike in the story I suspect all those open holes will be covered by black plastic like the RS. I also believe it is the entry level 600 ACE bike. Whether it is "build your own" style like the Spark remains to be seen. If your fan base and buyers are close to dying that is not a good long term business model. They MUST pull the young blood in and price is one metric they need to improve.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Looks like an ugly lizard nosed car. Put some color on it and call it an Iguana.
    2015 RTSE, Red Pearl, Shorty Antenna, Chrome Rear Rack, Deer Whistles, BajaRon Anti-sway Bar

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by daveinva View Post

Isn't this a topic best-suited for another thread?
    I really hate to be the Killjoy here... Hijakcking threads comes naturally to me...
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 08-15-2014 at 09:41 AM.

Spyder Garage

The pictures show a camouflaged prototype vehicle. Obviously it's a Spyder. What features of the prototype will make it into production and when can only be speculated on. But there must be something in the pictures that BRP does not want us to see. I missed it but the pictures must have been posted on the Ontario Spyder Riders Facebook page. BRP requested that the pictures be removed and they were. That has caused some controversy as you may imagine. The explanation takes the tone of dealers needing to informed first of new models and features. Not the customers telling the dealers.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

I guess a lot people don't haunt motorcycle or car boards in which "spy photos" are in the norm. You have to really look at the photos carefully and repeatedly to get some of the details of what their doing.

It clearly is a test mule that missing body work and has others covered by cloth panels. But, you can see some interesting details that offer glimpses of what's to come.

For example some of the things I see are:

It has a single large radiator in the center of the bike. Very different concept to current models and based on the body work around it, I'm sure this is going to be production.

It does have a frunk, if you look closely you can see the seam of the trunk line under the covers. Probably much smaller than current production.

It has the ACE motor, not the 996. If it is some new 600cc ACE variant, then it looks identical to the 1330cc, so I would tend to believe it's the 1330.
    http://www.brp.com/en-us/innovation/...stroke-engines (This IS the ACE 600 and it looks nothing like the photo.)

As some of have pointed out, it has a tubular swingarm with a belt drive. That could just be for testing purposes and not production. Bending and welding aluminum tubing is expensive and usually only done by low production high end companies, so I would believe it's for testing only and not for production. (Suzuki tried it on a motorcycle and dropped it because of production costs.)

The riding position does seem to be production. However, don't go by looking at the rider. He is a tester with a laptop in his lap, so he is hunkered up because he's beta testing and not because he has to. The riding position does bring the feet significantly forward and the bars offer a much more upright posture.

The seat, grab bars and other things appear to be production level and not exclusively for testing.

The lights also appear to be production, although not in the finished body work. As does the instrument panel.

The wheels, brakes and front fenders are all standard production stuff.

I'm sure other sharp eyes people can see other things.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

I love the way the rider is looking at the camera like "Crap, they got me."

2012 Spyder RS S SE5 Magnesium, Power Commander V with Autotune, HMF Exhaust, Green air filter,
    TricLed/Custom Dynamics Led Project titled "Knight Rider"

Spyder Garage

Default Good to Go

I like it......it's different. Anyone interesting in buying my 2012 RSS? Need to make room for this new design.
    If you ryde like there's no tomorrow, there won't be any
    Accidents hurt - safety doesn't

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bgame View Post
    Not impressed....
    Someone needs to put the crack pipe down and move away from the CAD machine.

Spyder Garage

Default New Roadster Model?

If I were to guess, it's the new entry-level roadster - it definitely has an old school roadster vibe to it. Personally, I think the Can Am Roadster would finally live up to its name!

I'd bet the farm, if I had one, that this mule has the triple in it. I took quite a few pictures all around the naked 2014 RT at the Owner's Event in June, and the right side of the 1330 engine on that RT is identical to what's seen in the pictures.

I think BRP is going after the small to medium size cruiser market. I think this could be a fourth model to the line-up and obviously not with just a stripped down RS. The forward controls, seating position, and exposed engine bay help give it a cruiser feel to it. The minimal Tupperware and electronics will help keep the cost down. Just like a metric cruiser, say a Honda Shadow Aero 750, my first bike, initial purchase price is held down by making something like a windscreen an option.

With a real roadster look and a presumed ~$10K price point, it looks like retro-look bikes, like my old Shadow Aero or the Honda CB1100 or even the new BMW RnineT (though at a higher cost) and even the Harley Sportster could be the targeted competition.

With the triple apparently going into this roadster, I wouldn't be surprised if the triple becomes the common engine across the product line - that could be the big change for the RS and ST for 2015. Of course, the RS could get this platform as well, with more Tupperware, electronics, and the driver's foot position pulled back for the sport riding position.

Personally, I'm looking for an ST with the triple in it, and now that I've seen the forward controls on this mule, I'd like those too. The current brake pedal location just doesn't work well with my body geometry - it's the reason I bought the BMW instead of a Spyder.

My two cents...
    - Carl

2017 Can Am F3-L (current ryde)
    2015 Can Am F3-S (previous ryde)
    2012 BMW K1600 (previous ride)
    2016 Can Am F3-T (wife's)

Spyder Garage

I'm kinda liking it actually, the forward controls, handlebars look easy to change, the exhaust shape looks like they may have put the cat back in there like the GS/RS, which would be real convenient, the swing arm setup, sinister looking headlights.
    I see a lot I like, even the looks on a different level. To each their own I guess.
    It's all speculation at this point.

Spyder Garage

Default Really? Soap Box Derby anyone...

Not Impressed, if that’s coming next, I'll sell my Spyder and purchase a T-Rex or Sling Shot.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

ugly

Spyder Garage

I'd like to see a shot of the left side, looks on a mule are like lipstick on a pig, show me the running gear, the position changes for the controls, things like that. Everything else is just cosmetics.

john

Spyder Garage

Carol and I well see you all Friday afternoon so we can make the light ride , then coming back home { Moss Bluff } and come back over Sat.

corbin Lamont cut seat with back rest, graphic gator,Chrome grips, trailer hitch,buttler mug, two brothers exhaust, painted center fender strips. center brake light, Led lights, tricLed fender lights

spydee owner

Like the seating position. Also like the way the foot brake is positioned. engine side panels are finished which would suggest to me that -if this is pre-production - there will be no plastic site panels.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It looks like more mechanicals, and less Tupperware.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Id love to see a set of bare minimum body panels for the RS. Except the RS is kinda ugly under the plastic wires and pipes everywhere this looks much more finished because its meant to be exposed, of this is an entry level spyder at 10k or less and is about as fast and gets better gas mileage than the current RS i will be trading, although, it looks like passenger seating is very very minimal. Maybe the tester is sitting where the passenger sits to fit the laptop on her lap, hence the weird position.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by den1953 View Post
    The responses remind me of the Harley folk's responses to the V-Rod over a decade ago and to this day it's the "red-headed stepchild" of their brand. Time will tell how this one plays out.

Was at a bike rally the first time I saw a V-Rod. Everyone kept calling him 'Water Boy.'

My how times have changed... yet never changed at all...
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Yazz View Post

Was at a bike rally the first time I saw a V-Rod. Everyone kept calling him 'Water Boy.'

Excellent; but, that will fall on deaf ears. Lamont tried to say that (in another thread); but, I think he got a little bit too wordy. You got right to the point.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IntoTheWind View Post
    Not Impressed, if that’s coming next, I'll sell my Spyder and purchase a T-Rex or Sling Shot.
    Are you concerned that your Spyder will somehow take on the new look if they put the Spyder pictured into production???
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default the more things change the more they stay the same.....

Quote Originally Posted by Yazz View Post

As a v-rod owner and member of the v-rod owner groups, this is truly deja vu! I look forward to seeing the final product. A Spyder with a little more forward foot control and more upright seating with a little less bodywork (like rear trunk, etc.) would be just what I would hope for, especially with the 1330 motor!

Spyder Garage

Someone mentioned a single radiator across the front. Take a closer look at one of the photos showing the right side in front of the tire. I think I see a radiator mounted sideways which could make the front grill a simple divided air scoop for pushing air through 2 side mounted radiators.

John

Spyder Garage

Default 6 weeks away right?

For what it's worth if BRP found a way to cool of the pesky heat issue and get more zip out of the Spyder for a much younger demographic so be it. The more different looking spyders out there the better. I'd hate to see spyders fall into that "they all look the same" mode. RS,RS-S,ST,RT and now a let's call it "Shorty" for now. I can't wait to see finished product.