Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default FOLLOW UP TO 2014 OIL LEAK.

I received a call from my dealer today, BRP is sending a new complete motor. The service man said that some of the motors have porous cases. As long as this one runs as good as the old one is my worry now.

Spyder Garage

Default Interesting..!!

wonder what the real problem is..?? but a new engine is good. It will have all the latested updates and mods. Will they change the cluster so your mileage will be zero..?? Hope this dosen't take to long...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I had an engine replaced on a new car once. They do not adjust the cluster.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Sent you a PM

I also have an oil leak. Dealer replaced the oil tank. Leak returned within two weeks after the oil tank replacement. I'm wondering if maybe I have one of those motors with the porous case. I have BRP involved in my oil leak issue and BRP, my dealer, and I are working through this. Hoping for a good outcome.

I sent you (namknight) a PM with some details. Would love to talk with you to see if my leak symptoms mirror yours. Thanks.
    2016 F3-L Special Series? Mods: Lamonster IPS end caps w/ Gripper 3rd pegs, GPS mount, Power Plate, Perf. Muffler; Backoff Brake Light Strobe; CD Front (amber/red) Brightsides & Tip Kit; ISCI Flag Holder w/Long Poles; BRP Signature Light, Aux Lights, Saddlebag Liners, Garmin 590 GPS; TricLED foam Grips, LEDs (Aux/headlights); Pitbull Driving Lights; RDL seat; Ultimate backrest

Previous ryde: 2012 RT-L, 26,636 miles on it when traded; 2014 RT-L, 34,147 miles on it when traded

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good Luck with the new engine!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    wonder what the real problem is..?? but a new engine is good. It will have all the latested updates and mods. Will they change the cluster so your mileage will be zero..?? Hope this dosen't take to long...

The real problem is that in some of the 1330 motors the oil galleys are seeping oil through the case. There were some defective castings causing the case to be porous. It is my understanding that a couple of well known dealerships in central Florida have actually replaced the motors in 5-6 14 RT's.
    2016 F3-L Special Series? Mods: Lamonster IPS end caps w/ Gripper 3rd pegs, GPS mount, Power Plate, Perf. Muffler; Backoff Brake Light Strobe; CD Front (amber/red) Brightsides & Tip Kit; ISCI Flag Holder w/Long Poles; BRP Signature Light, Aux Lights, Saddlebag Liners, Garmin 590 GPS; TricLED foam Grips, LEDs (Aux/headlights); Pitbull Driving Lights; RDL seat; Ultimate backrest

Previous ryde: 2012 RT-L, 26,636 miles on it when traded; 2014 RT-L, 34,147 miles on it when traded

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Based upon your report; if your bike ain't leakin'... you're probably good to go!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Interesting. This sounds like engine #3--but the post about 5 or 6 changes that, if the information is correct.

It is good to see that BRP is proactive and is even willing to fix "major" stuff on a timely basis.

Please keep us posted as to the outcome. Thanks for posting your information.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Very expensive defect. I'd say there is some head knocking going on behind closed doors over this one.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Head Knocking over Leaky Engine

I would HOPE there is some "head knocking" going on but BRP's record of apparent "tone deafness" to some Spyder issues in the past doesn't make me confident.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Interesting. This sounds like engine #3--but the post about 5 or 6 changes that, if the information is correct.

It is good to see that BRP is proactive and is even willing to fix "major" stuff on a timely basis.

Please keep us posted as to the outcome. Thanks for posting your information.
    The 5-6 came directly from the dealer in Florida...spoke to the service manager...so my guess is the info is correct.

I think my oil leak may very well be caused by this defect. My dealer replaced the oil tank on my 14 RT-L thinking that was the cause of my leak. After they put everything back together they spent another 3-4 days trying to stop what they described as a seep vs. a leak. They put dye in the oil and still could not pinpoint the source of the seep using a black light. They thought they had it licked so I picked it up and within a few days the leak was back. I'm working with BRP and my dealer on a way ahead. Should know something more once I get back from Spyderquest. It only leaks a couple of drops of oil following a long ryde when the motor gets good and hot. Dip stick shows full...never had to add any oil...have over 12,250 miles on it. Taking it into the dealer Tuesday for the first 9,300 mile service.