Spyder Garage

Default Info on getting license for Spyder RT in Mass?

Does anyone know how it actually works in getting a motorcycle license in Mass? I got my permit. I checked into taking one of those weekend courses where they give you a license at the end of it BUT they told me they don't do Can-Am Spyders right now. Maybe in spring.
    So what do they do on the actual road test? I don't want to learn how to ride a standard 2 wheel motorcycle, just my Can-Am Spyder. That's it.

I seem to get all kinds of answers from everyone. Getting any kind of answer from the registry is impossible.

Can anyone help on the real process PLEASE?

Mucho thanks my Spyder friends.

SniderSpyder in MA.

Spyder Garage

I am in Ohio, so not much help for "real" except a couple suggestions
    Ohio has a motorcycle handbook with information needed for the motorcycle testing. Book and "road" test. "Road" test is in a parking lot/test site. Does your state ?
    The other idea would be to find out when a site was open for test and go watch what is going on ? Or at least the layout.
    Good Luck
    Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

In West Virginia, they modify the motorcycle road test, slightly, for the Spyder . . . distances between traffic cones are farther apart, for example. I was unable to take a class on my Spyder in West Virginia, because it wasn't offered, so I practiced a lot in a parking lot, then took the state test and passed . . . afterwards, I went to Virginia for a three day class . . .

I contacted my state delegate and got him to work with the state DMV to change their policy so that people could go to another state and take a trike class, and WV would accept it, if there was no in state class near where they lived. Didn't help me, as I'd already gotten my license on my own, but did make it easier for folks who follow.

I'd suggest you go to DMV (face to face) and ask them how they will test you . . . and then, go practice the heck out of that . . . and keep looking for a class, even if you have your license by the time you find one . . . safety training and riding skills are things we all need more of.

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

http://massmotorcycleschool.com/ offers a sidecar/trike class . . .

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Unfortunately, you've just got to keep working your way up to the top of the manure pile..
    They can't handle licensing a Spyder owner; I'd push for a direct answer as to why not!
    DEMAND that a procedure be implemented so that you can get your bike on the road. Tell them that you're very unwilling to wait until "Maybe in Spring".
    Don't be the least bit afraid to get the Poliitical machine pulled into the effort; it's an election year, so they're pretty willing to make themselves look good in the public eye.
    Good Luck, and please let us know how the battle goes!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

You can take your driving test on a "trike" but you have a trike only restriction on your license

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I wonder how come he couldn't get THAT answer from DMV??
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Isn't bureaucratic red tape fun?

Your going to get a lot of answers. Most states have a driver course for motorcycles that is laid out in the parking lot of the DMV. Those not taking the approved msf training course have to drive their cycles through the "magic lines" of the course.

It should not present a problem for the Spyder. You are ahead of the game when it comes to not falling down. The only issue you may have is right turns/left turns as the course may be narrower than you like. My recommendation, go and practice on a Sunday to get the feel of the course. Go during the week and watch a couple others take the test--to get a feel for it.

If you take the test on a trike, you will be given a trike endorsement. Not a problem for most.

Hope you get it figured out.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sniderspyder View Post
    Does anyone know how it actually works in getting a motorcycle license in Mass? I got my permit. I checked into taking one of those weekend courses where they give you a license at the end of it BUT they told me they don't do Can-Am Spyders right now. Maybe in spring.
    So what do they do on the actual road test? I don't want to learn how to ride a standard 2 wheel motorcycle, just my Can-Am Spyder. That's it.

I seem to get all kinds of answers from everyone. Getting any kind of answer from the registry is impossible.

Can anyone help on the real process PLEASE?

Mucho thanks my Spyder friends.

SniderSpyder in MA.
    there are two ways, you can get a motorcycle lic. For just three wheel vehicles, our you can take the two wheel course, that deals in more than just riding. A lot of safety stuff, and bang you have a lic. That is good for two or three wheels. Just a hint if you finance a Spyder you do not have to get a boatload of insurance. The finance folks don't care. I even had to educate my Insurance guy and had him call the finance Company. Crescent Credit in Brockton Ma. 2.5 percent. Just saying.

Spyder Garage

I love in mass. I took my licence test on my spyder. They put a 3 wheel restriction on my lisence. The road test was a breeze.no cones. Drive straight shift up gears. Drive and show hand signals. Do a figure 8. That was it. At first they said I could not take my test on a spyder. I told them I don't drive 2 wheels so they said 3 wheel restriction which was fine with me.

Spyder Garage

Seems like you found your answer. Most states will let u take it on a 3 wheeler and your license will have just a 3 wheel endorsement which will not give you the privilege of driving 2 wheel. Which from your statement doesn't matter. GO GET IT

Spyder Garage

Default Pain in the butt ....

Hi,
    I took the 2- day motorcycle course, http://Trainingwheelsonline.com, in Woburn.
    I'll never forget it ..... it rained on both days!

They pretty much assume you've never previously ridden a motorcycle; although most students there probably have. The bikes were small 250cc, and I don't think we ever got over 15mph.

The class covered nothing regarding 3 wheels. But, taking the course and passing their exams gets you a MA motorcycle license good for 2 and 3 wheeled vehicles. There was a written (multiple choice) exam and a practical exam. They made every effort to make sure all students passed. There were 8 students to a class, and two teachers.

I must say, the course was very structured, presented professionally by experienced riders, and wasted no one's time.

Do it.
    Give a shout if you have any questions.
    best of luck,
    j
    Last edited by Root; 08-14-2014 at 06:47 PM.

Spyder Garage

MOST Motorcycle Rider Training in NH does 3 wheel classes and can get you a license for MA, Nh or Maine if you pass. Check it out - http://www.mostridertraining.com/#!3w-brc/c1dru

I took it and loved it. We had a few riders from Mass attend.
    2013 RS-S Neutron Green/Black, Shark RSR2 helmet, Shark Evoline 3 helmet, Sena SMH20, Corbin Seat, Wheelchair Rack, TricLED fender lights, TricLed Underglow kit (green), Trunk Liner, STL Handlebars, Web Boards Driver Floorboards, backrest, BRP Saddlebags, ISCI Handbrake