Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Unhappy Numb Feet=Hot Brakes OOPS!

A few days after installing floorboards out riding with my wife she asks "whats that smell"? I react "Oh Crap", knew exactly what it was
    FOOT ON BRAKE. I have neuropathy (nerve damage to feet) and have very little feeling in my feet. With the floorboards foot position is different than pegs so my foot was on top of the pedal. I'm guessing it was for about 1/2 of a mile and immediatly pulled over. My big question are my rotors have a bluish tint from the friction, let alone pads with excessive wear, have no warping or braking problems. What should I be concerned with? Damn feet, am constantly looking down now.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Other than maybe keeping an eye on your brake-pads for wear...
    I have Diabetic Neuropathy; I know what you're going through.
    Look at it this way; the riding experience more than makes up for the cost of a set of pads... and even rotors!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I am surprised that the bike didn't throw you a code. Do you get a brake pulsation when you put on the brakes? If not, the brakes are working fine I would not worry about it. Rotors are made to take a tremendous amount of heat.

Spyder Garage

I to have Diabetic Neuropathy and seals floorboards so I know what it's like,I keep my feet in front of the brake bar whit my heal against the bar and just lift my heal up and on to brake,this works for me as I can feel enough to tell my heal is against it.
    2015 RT White,Tj's Dash mount,Rivco's Duel Flag Holder,SealsFloorBoards(Pups),Custom Dynamics fender lights(R/W)Bajaron's Swaybar & links,Lamonster's LED headlights,lidlox.Wiredux A-arm driving lights(upper&lower)FOBO TPMS system,Spyerpops lighted bumpskid,Foom handgrips.
    tobor9@me.com

Spyder Garage

i also have foot problems, what you can do is put a 12 volt red LED on your dash and you can tap into the brake light system so if you ride the brake the LED on the dash will light and get your attention. i did this on my other bike because the brake switch would stick and the brake lights would stay on. just a idea
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've got Steve's oversized brake pedal, and I sort of have my ankle rest against the outside corner of it.
    That way; I know where I can find it during an emergency.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JerNanHoss View Post
    A few days after installing floorboards out riding with my wife she asks "whats that smell"? I react "Oh Crap", knew exactly what it was
    FOOT ON BRAKE. I have neuropathy (nerve damage to feet) and have very little feeling in my feet. With the floorboards foot position is different than pegs so my foot was on top of the pedal. I'm guessing it was for about 1/2 of a mile and immediatly pulled over. My big question are my rotors have a bluish tint from the friction, let alone pads with excessive wear, have no warping or braking problems. What should I be concerned with? Damn feet, am constantly looking down now.
    My numb feet is the result of chemo. I resolved my problem with the brake pedal by putting a riser plate of 3/4 inch between brake pedal lever and the actual foot pad. This prevents me from accidentally riding the brake. I have to raise my foot and place it on the pedal. It works for me

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cuznjohn View Post
    i also have foot problems, what you can do is put a 12 volt red LED on your dash and you can tap into the brake light system so if you ride the brake the LED on the dash will light and get your attention. i did this on my other bike because the brake switch would stick and the brake lights would stay on. just a idea
    Would you please how/where you did this? I have a problem with myfoot and the brake pedal. they seem to like to "hold handd", then Nanny gets mad and I am in limp mode. I was wondering if footboards would make a difference and whose.

thanks
    Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Oldmanzues View Post
    Would you please how/where you did this? I have a problem with myfoot and the brake pedal. they seem to like to "hold handd", then Nanny gets mad and I am in limp mode. I was wondering if footboards would make a difference and whose.

thanks
    Oldmanzues
    what i did was i went on line and ordered a large red LED for 12 volts than i mounted it by the front right radio speaker on the dash, than i ran two small gauge wires back to the trailer harness on the back left side of the bike. with a 12 volt tester i found the wire that lights the brake light when the breaks are applied and i tapped into that and i used a earth ground. so every time you use the brake the LED lights up. simple job just some panel removal to be done
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Default I'm in..!!

lots of foot issues. You can lightly sand the disk to remove the bluing and check the brake wear. Half mile should not have done much damage if you did not notice the drag. You can stack some business cards and slide them flush to the disk till you reach the pads and get a measurament for wear or pop by your dealer and have them check for you. Suggestions above will help avoid this from happening. I ryde an RS with the ball of my foot on the pegs, works for me...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Clean up your

Yup, use a bit of emery cloth, and your rotor will be back to new looking in no time at all.

Chas