Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default ntsb phone call today

so i just got off the phone with the NTSB, the guy asked me questions about my 13 rt and i told him i sold it for a big loss because of the heat problem, i also told him about the money and work i put into it to try to eliminate the heat. he asked me what did i replace it with and when i told him a 14 rt he told me he would like to stop by my house next Wednesday to see my 14 and take heat readings on the bike, he is also seeing other spyder riders on that day to see their bikes so he can compare the heat readings. so i just thought i would let you know they are working on it

Spyder Garage

It sounds like it is starting to get interesting. If they are talking to all the 2013 owners, it's probably time that BRP may be getting a little worried.

This could be a very expensive issue for BRP and their insurers.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

he also said he is going to see the instillation of the new side panels to see if that helps the problem

Thinks out loud
    Spyder Garage

Arrow When companies chose not to listen.

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    It sounds like it is starting to get interesting. If they are talking to all the 2013 owners, it's probably time that BRP may be getting a little worried.

If that turns out to be the case. It'll be no ones fault but their own. Not bashing BRP. Simply stating a fact.

'Choose'.....my error

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    If that turns out to be the case. It'll be no ones fault but their own. Not bashing BRP. Simply stating a fact.

'Choose'.....my error
    My total opinion about the situation is well known. I am not a BRP advocate on this subject, and yes, I think they blew it on this situation.

I only hope that the line is not discontinued or the price does not go up to $40K or higher for those that still like the product.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 08-13-2014 at 02:09 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Thinks out loud
    Spyder Garage

I only hope that the line is not discontinued or the price does not go up to $40K or higher for those that still like the product.
    Wouldn't want to see it discontinued either. As far as price is concerened. BRP proved they can get it right with the sucess of their 2014 models. Doubt there's a need for big price increases based on what the 14's sold/sell for. In my opinion....their failure has been their lack of willingness to address pre 14 heat issues.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    Wouldn't want to see it discontinued either. As far as price is concerened. BRP proved they can get it right with the sucess of their 2014 models. Doubt there's a need for big price increases based on what the 14's sold/sell for. In my opinion....their failure has been their lack of willingness to address pre 14 heat issues.
    My mention of the possibility of $40K is based on the fact that if they have to pay out multi millions of dollars in a lawsuit or in reparations--that is going to eventually impact their costs for future insurance. Those kind of costs are usually passed on to the consumer. In this case, I really do hope that I am wrong.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The thing that really PO's me is I did the research on the residual values before I bought mine. I put 50% down and now would be lucky to get that in a sale because of them dumping them 2 months after I bought mine at steep discounts nothing like it happened before 2013. That does not include the perceived fire issues that are making the news. I knew I should have waited but my wife was impatient .I also PM'ed BRP Cares on here and called the CSR line. Neither ever got back to me.
    Last edited by Magdave; 08-13-2014 at 03:02 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

the price of spyders just went up!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cuznjohn View Post
    so i just got off the phone with the NTSB, the guy asked me questions about my 13 rt and i told him i sold it for a big loss because of the heat problem, i also told him about the money and work i put into it to try to eliminate the heat. he asked me what did i replace it with and when i told him a 14 rt he told me he would like to stop by my house next Wednesday to see my 14 and take heat readings on the bike, he is also seeing other spyder riders on that day to see their bikes so he can compare the heat readings. so i just thought i would let you know they are working on it
    Why would they be taking readings on the 2014 sounds like a waste of time. Plenty of 13's that need checked.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

what really ticks me off is all the money i spent trying to make the bike right for me and than the loss i took selling the bike because i wanted to ride a bike that i could ride w/o being cooked on it. and now they are looking into what is going on

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

what really ticks me off is all the money i spent trying to make the bike right for me and than the loss i took selling the bike because i wanted to ride a bike that i could ride w/o being cooked on it. and now they are looking into what is going on
    Tell them to head south while temps are still 90+ if they want to see what is happening. Mine is good below 85 after the mods I did not so much above it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Good to know..!!

the ball is in motion...hope they come up with an equitable solution...
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    Tell them to head south while temps are still 90+ if they want to see what is happening. Mine is good below 85 after the mods I did not so much above it.
    Yea, Send him to the deep south where it's was 97 today and the Humidity was 80%.
    2014 RTS , Cognac

Spyder Garage

............sure glad that I haven't had the bug to get a new

Spyder: 2011 RT Limited w/ RT-622 trailer
    Mods: ESI Brightsides, RT Rear Brightsides, HMT Brake Light, Scuff Guards, Utopia Backrest, Chrome, and more Chrome, Pearl White Rear View Mirrors, Rear Fender, and Dashboard, Black Rear Wheel and Belt Assy, SpyderPops Heat Shields & Bump Skid, Elka Stage 1+ Shocks, 2012 SF Graphics, Silver Carbonfiber Dash, Corbin Arm Rests, Baker A.W., BRP Vented WindShield. BR's Sway Bar, Tricled White Halo Lights, BadBoy Air Horn, Spyder Legs Floor Boards

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    Why would they be taking readings on the 2014 sounds like a waste of time. Plenty of 13's that need checked.
    I think they are trying to compare the different years for the heat difference.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Default TRUST

I DON'T KNOW WHO I WOULD TRUST LEAST: BRP or NTSB.......
    our gov't hasn't shown a tremendous amount of trust-worthy-ness lately.....

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default ntsb phone call today

Nice, I hope they do something please PM me when you have a minute....

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I'd love to know exactly where they test the heat and what method they use. I bought a infrared heat gun specifically to check the heat issues on my new 2012 RTS but I honestly have no idea if where I'm testing is useful or not. Since I've been having significant gas fume issues I've been focusing on the gas tank area but I wonder if there is more I should be testing.

Please let us know what they test and how.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    I think they are trying to compare the different years for the heat difference.
    i didn't mention that, he said he wants to compare and wants me to ride at least a 1/2 hr b4 he gets here so the bike is up to temp

Spyder Garage

Can you tell him about the windshield arm breaking ?
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Please let us know what he finds, and quiz him about what he thinks!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I Loved my 2010 RT and I Love my 2014 RT. I can only imagine how betrayed the 2013 owners must feel by BRP's response. It's a shame that BRP didn't "do the right thing" from the very beginning. I too hope that they don't discontinue production but I do hope BRP learns a hard lesson and makes amends to those that lost so much money, time and peace of mind.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mindman View Post
    I can only imagine how betrayed the 2013 owners must feel by BRP's response.
    Sadly I don't think it's just 2013's that are the problem. My 2012 has serious gas fume and boiling gas issues.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spydaman60 View Post
    the price of spyders just went up!!
    I hope so, I'll never buy another one. Just hope to get good money for mine when I'm over it.