Thread: 14K Service

Spyder Garage

Default 14K Service

If Spyder is running Ok do the valves really need to be checked and adjusted at 14K? I have seen some threads that suggest it is not necessary. If this is not done does it void my the warranty?
    2015 RTSE, Red Pearl, Shorty Antenna, Chrome Rear Rack, Deer Whistles, BajaRon Anti-sway Bar

Spyder Garage

Default Little checking..!!

there was a change from brp on valve adjustments but can't remember at how many miles. I have 22,000 mile and all is fine. I have seen many more. It's a choice and I have not seen any problems. They could decline on a claim if you had major valve problem and they could prove it was from not having the valves adjusted. Have not seen it and Would not do the valves if they are quiet...jmo
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Just Had Mine Done

And it was some kind of expensive, they changed the spark plugs and adjusted the valves. I can tell you tat mine was running fine too. But now my mileage has increased by maybe 5mpg.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Showie View Post
    If Spyder is running Ok do the valves really need to be checked and adjusted at 14K? I have seen some threads that suggest it is not necessary. If this is not done does it void my the warranty?
    I have mentioned in the previous threads:

Did the 2008 at 14K and no adjustment necessary.
    Did the 2010 at 28K and no adjustment necessary.

Cost $1500 or so total for both. Benefit: None

Will it void your warranty is a good question.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

THX all Think I will wait till 28,000miles which will probably be early next year. Rotax is a proven I engine would not think it would need a valve adjustment at 14,000 miles. The rest of maintenance I can understand the need. I think some of the maintenance is for the benefit of the dealers not because it was really necessary, but that's Ok I guess.
    2015 RTSE, Red Pearl, Shorty Antenna, Chrome Rear Rack, Deer Whistles, BajaRon Anti-sway Bar

Spyder Garage

I also posted this in the Spyder General Discussion. I just had my 14,000 mile service done at Columbia Power Sports, Columbia, SC. The cost was $649.13 including oil change. FYI
    2013 RTS SE5
    2013 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad 1700

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post

Will it void your warranty is a good question.
    If you don't have the valves checked at 14K and later you have something happen that involves a valve problem, you wont be covered! So while most people that had the check done found that no shims (adjustment) was needed, you take the risk by not doing it.

Now here is my judgment on this.
    My extended warranty runs out Jan 2016. I figure I will hit 14K about 6 months from now maybe sooner. This will leave about 1 year left on the warranty. I think I will pass on the valve check as if I do have a problem later by not doing it (and it did need adjustment) I will probably be out of warranty then anyway.

So I would make the call on doing it based on how much time you still have on warranty and how many miles a year your putting on.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    If you don't have the valves checked at 14K and later you have something happen that involves a valve problem, you wont be covered! So while most people that had the check done found that no shims (adjustment) was needed, you take the risk by not doing it.

Now here is my judgment on this.
    My extended warranty runs out Jan 2016. I figure I will hit 14K about 6 months from now maybe sooner. This will leave about 1 year left on the warranty. I think I will pass on the valve check as if I do have a problem later by not doing it (and it did need adjustment) I will probably be out of warranty then anyway.

So I would make the call on doing it based on how much time you still have on warranty and how many miles a year your putting on.

Bob
    Good information to ponder above.

For me, some of it boils down to do I want the extra satisfaction of my is perfect ($800 tariff) each go around. I do not recall anyone posting on here that they did not do a valve adjustment and the issue came up as a warranty/no warranty problem. I am guessing that the valve check was a BRP c.y.a. mechanical issue just in case.

The new ACE 1330 requires no valve adjustment service. I looked at a valve adjustment as similar to buying an extended warranty and whether or not I will end up using it or not. I got a free extended warranty with the 2014 so no issue here. I have never purchased an extended warranty for any of my 's.
    So far, have not needed any major service on any machine.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

My 14,000 mile service included checking for valve adjustment. They did not need to be adjusted.
    2013 RTS SE5
    2013 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad 1700