Spyder Garage

Question Sunkist and a traditional motorcycle

Hello all - we made it to another day ending in Y and I am glad to share it with ya...

I mentioned today in an earlier comment that I am looking into getting a Road King(or maybe electra glide if the money comes out of nowhere, lol) since my wife finally gave the approval. Well that was just a "ground breaking ceremony" because after that approval I now have to get the money for it since I don't have a trade in as I am keeping the Spyder so the Road King could be many months down the line but I am still excited of course. My vision is to share time between both during the week and weekend depending on how I feel and still let Sunkist(my Spyder) be my long touring vehicle because of the added safety of the spyder.

My question is for those of you who still own bike(s) and also the Spyder roadster: Do you have a hard time adjusting when going from one vehicle to the other or is it a natural progression? I have the SE5 spyder, do any of you go from the SE5 to manual and back to SE5 without any functionality issues? Once I know that I can financially make the move I plan to take the MSF course again to get some clutch training. I have also watched a few youtube videos on shifting that have been very informative. Thank you in advance for any feedback that you offer.

Grady

Grady Brown III
    President & Founder
    For The Love of Laila...and your baby too
    www.ftllm712.com
    Check out the Events page at www.ftllm712.com for upcoming events

We are Riding to save lives!!!

Facebook

Twitter

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I never looked back, so I can't help you with that...
    But your "Best-Half"... a true keeper!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I never looked back, so I can't help you with that...
    But your "Best-Half"... a true keeper!
    Bob, she is definitely a keeper but she may have only said yes because she knows I can't afford it.

Grady Brown III
    President & Founder
    www.ftllm712.com

Facebook

Twitter

Spyder Garage

I ride both a GL1800 Goldwing and the 2012RT and I don't even think about it when I switch back and forth. Well the first few times you might get momentarily confused about putting your feet down or not at a stop... I love riding both.

JT

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jthornton View Post
    I ride both a GL1800 Goldwing and the 2012RT and I don't even think about it when I switch back and forth. Well the first few times you might get momentarily confused about putting your feet down or not at a stop... I love riding both.

JT
    is your RT a SE5?

Grady Brown III
    President & Founder
    www.ftllm712.com

Facebook

Twitter

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Laila's Dad View Post
    is your RT a SE5?
    Yes, I love the paddle shifter on it.

JT

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default That's awesome

Yes, the SE5 is the way to go...

Chas

Spyder Garage

I bought the spyder for my wife but so far I have more miles on it than her. Now that I am used to the spyder, when I switch back and forth I don't really have any trouble other than I occasionally find my toe searching for the shift lever on the spyder. Its an SE, so there isn't one. On my bike it's like I never road a spyder.

John

Spyder Garage

Default No problem here

I have a SE6 and a Honda ST 1100 and am jumping on one or the other without a problem, like JT, don't even think about it. Funny thing is I have a SE ATV and often miss the shifter with my left thumb, same side as the Spyder but different location.
    Dan

2014 RT-S SE6, 2012 RT-622 trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Bob, she is definitely a keeper but she may have only said yes because she knows I can't afford it.
    If you mow enough lawns, babysit enough kids, and sell enough blood...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I hopped on my VTX 1800 after not riding it for about a month and it did take a few mins to get adjusted. We have an SM5 and a SE5.
    His - 2013 RSS SM5
    Hers - 2013 RS SE5

Proud Army Veterans!!

Spyder Garage

I had two wheels and a up until the summer of 2012 when I bought the 2nd .

I did not experience any problems when switching from one to the other. The operation of the two wheeler vs. the becomes ingrained. Never had to think about shifting or remembering to put my feet down, or not.

Actually, I miss my two wheels, but the medical issues have now said no to going back to a second ride.

Glad that the allows me to keep my face into the wind.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I have a 2011 RT SM5 and a 2012 Vulcan 900. I got the Spyder after not riding for 30 years and really love it (34K miles in 2 yrs). The Vulcan is a completely different experience and, to be honest, I think I enjoy riding it even more. I actually find it more comfortable - it takes a couple hundred miles to get my legs right on the Spyder. I have Elka shocks and the Sway bar upgrade so the ride is smooth, although I do find myself trying to lean for the first few miles.

If you feel good (medically) to do two, the variety will make your 'wind therapy' even better. If this helps - Spyder is almost 3 yrs old and I have 34,700 miles on it; Vulcan is 10 months old with 22,000 miles. One more thing ... I tend to speed on the Spyder, I think because it is so quiet.
    Last edited by captblack; 08-12-2014 at 06:59 PM.
    Bill
    Pride Runs Deep Semper Tacitus

An armed man is a Citizen; an unarmed man is a subject....

2017 F3 T SE6
    2015 Vulcan Vaquero ABS
    ALR Chapter 401 (Hilliard FL)
    GA & FL Patriot Guard

Spyder Garage

Default 2 wheel to 3 wheel

I have a RSSm5 only had it for a short time, my main problem is reaching for the front wheel brake on the spyder, seems I used it more than the rear brake on the Harley, Harley Road King is the way to go on a Harley. I have the 100 yr anniv. model and all the goodies to go with it would not part with it even if I get where I cant ride it. I had open heart surgery June was a yr ago and knee surgery which kinda left me in a bad way.

Spyder Garage

Default No problem

Recently rode a R 1200 RT and it was like I had never left two wheels.
    Doug Barnes
    James 4:17

all on two wheels. More on four or more. Guess I may need to start multi-coloring for three wheels.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jthornton View Post

JT
    Like JT, I've got a big two-wheeler (HD Ultra) and an RT-S, SE5. No problems here except I did find myself reaching for my paddle shifter last weekend while riding the Harley. No luck...! Had to toe shift.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by captblack View Post
    I have a 2011 RT SM5 and a 2012 Vulcan 900. I got the Spyder after not riding for 30 years and really love it (34K miles in 2 yrs). The Vulcan is a completely different experience and, to be honest, I think I enjoy riding it even more. I actually find it more comfortable - it takes a couple hundred miles to get my legs right on the Spyder. I have Elka shocks and the Sway bar upgrade so the ride is smooth, although I do find myself trying to lean for the first few miles.

If you feel good (medically) to do two, the variety will make your 'wind therapy' even better. If this helps - Spyder is almost 3 yrs old and I have 34,700 miles on it; Vulcan is 10 months old with 22,000 miles. One more thing ... I tend to speed on the Spyder, I think because it is so quiet.
    My last two wheeled ride was a 900 Vulcan LTD. 2009 version. I really liked that one a lot. It fit like it was made for me.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 08-12-2014 at 09:23 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

My question is for those of you who still own bike(s) and also the Spyder roadster: Do you have a hard time adjusting when going from one vehicle to the other or is it a natural progression? I have the SE5 spyder, do any of you go from the SE5 to manual and back to SE5 without any functionality issues? Once I know that I can financially make the move I plan to take the MSF course again to get some clutch training. I have also watched a few youtube videos on shifting that have been very informative. Thank you in advance for any feedback that you offer.

Grady
    Not a bit mate. I switch from street bike, to enduro, then spyder, sometimes all in the same day, usually in the same weekend.

Only difference is, mine is an SM5 so I'm always doing the clutch, and all of my cages are manual as well, even my age'd 240D.
    Eric
    YNC(SS) (Retired) - U. S. Navy Submarines
    2014 RT-S Cognac
    3 seadoo's,CBR250R, Suzi GT750 waterbuffalo's x4, Rebel 250, MB5, '84 Alfa Spider, '97 Jeep TJ, '93 Saab C900CVT, '99 SLK230, '65 Mustang, '59 Fairlane, '48 Ford 8n

Spyder Garage

Default No Problems Here

I have a Harley FatBoy and my 2104 RTS SE5. The only problem I have is guilt for having two bikes. I tend to ride Spyder more and not riding FatBoy enuff. But hubby has Road Glide and we still like to do Harley stuff.