Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default 7 and 1/2 HOURS for 3000 mile service on Can Am Spyder - 2014 - RT-S

Sorry for long post but these are the facts:

On July 9, 2014 I called ASK Powersports in Grove City, Ohio (near Columbus, Ohio) to make an appointment for an oil and filter change and 3000 mile first service on my Can Am Spyder 2014 RT-S. I explained that I would be traveling through from West Virginia (RoadRUNNER Magazine Rally) to St. Paul, MN (BMW MOA Rally). My appointment was made for Monday, July 21, 2014 at 10:00 AM.
    I arrived at ASK Powersports on July 21st at 9:45 am. The dealership, which sells and services Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Yamaha, Can-Am, Kymco and Arctic Cat opened and my bike was taken in at 10:25 AM. There was only one other bike (a 2012 Can-Am) there for service. There were 2 service technicians, a service order employee and at least 3 other employees answering the phones in addition to 2 sales persons.
    I was asked to sign an estimate that indicated 3 hours of labor at $85 per hour plus an oil & filter change with miscellaneous parts and shop supplies totaling $321.84 including sales tax.
    At approximately 2 PM I asked how things were going and was told fine. By 3 PM, after repeated questions, I was told that ASK Powersports did not have the oil filter and that they had requested one of their other store to send it. The service tech told me that the other store was about 10 minutes away. He apologized but said it was not up to him. I spoke to Sandra Ackers, who identified herself as being in charge, and she said that the runner was on his way. Well the runner did not show up until 4:25 PM - that’s 6 hours after ASK Powersports brought the bike in for the 3 hour service.

The service was finally completed by 5:15 PM and I asked Ms. Ackers what she was going to do for me for making me wait an extra 4 hours. After all, their website says “All you gotta to do is ASK” and “we pride ourselves on customer service” and they “have 3 locations to better serve you”.

Here are some of the customer service answers given to me by Ms. Ackers:

I am a real believer that things happen because they were meant to be - we probably saved you from an accident down the road (yes she really said that).

At least we got you done today and you did not have to stay overnight (yes she really said that).

We went out of our way to get you that oil filter and we are not charging the extra amount it cost me to have it delivered her (yes she really said that).

She asked me what I wanted and I told her that they should take at least $100 off the bill for the unnecessary wait and lost time they caused. She said that was impossible and she called her boss and he told her not to take my credit card for payment. That’s when I said I was calling the police. Ms. Ackers decided to take the credit card and offered me a bandana, which I did not take, for my “troubles” and because they are a “big believer in customer service”. By this time, I had enough and I told her I wanted to leave. I ended up paying $343.35 and left at 5:45 PM. Observations: During the entire time I was there, only one other motorcycle came to be serviced. Maybe half a dozen people walked in the show room (in a 7 hour period). The service tech working on my bike took a break (lunch ?) between appx. 2 and 3 pm. The phones were constantly ringing and the people who answered usually had no answers without putting the callers on hold for 5 minutes or more. Many times the answers were “I’m not sure”, “I don’t know”, “maybe you can Google that”. In my opinion, the treatment I received from ASK Powersports is a direct reflection on Can Am as well as all the other brands they carry. I believe my experience is also one of the reasons that people buy on line rather than frequenting or supporting their local dealership. Was I badly treated because I am from New York ? Was the service bad because I brought in a Can Am Spyder as opposed to a Honda or Yamaha ?
    Did they mistreat me because they could ?
    Do I have a different understanding or expectation of what customer service is or should be ?
    Did ASK Powersports commit fraud or misrepresentation when they gave me an estimate of 3 hours ?
    OR
    Was ASK Powersports just incompetent in not having an oil filter available for a service which included changing the oil and filter ?

I hope that ASK Powersports is not illustrative of the service I will expect in the future on my Can Am Spyder.

Customer service is not just words used to draw customers into a business. Good customer service keeps customers coming to a business. One other motorcycle being serviced during the entire time I was at ASK Powersports seems to be indicative of what local Ohio people know.
    Last edited by Marc Z; 08-12-2014 at 11:54 AM.

Spyder Garage

You should have stopped in at Mac's cycle in Wv. and got it serviced for a 140.00 and 1hour

Spyder Garage

Did you read this post BRP cares????
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That sucks. I would have either had the service done at home before or after the trip. Don't blame you at all for being pissed. I hope your home dealer treats you better.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Another nightmare service story about dealers that just do not understand the concept of customer service.

I recommend forwarding the post to BRPCare.com. Maybe, it will help--maybe, not. Send them a PM through the site, they are listed as a member the last time I looked.

Customers needing service on the road should be a priority and not forced to sit around for 7 hours on a 3 hour quoted job. The lack of an oil filter is un-excusable. These are shop parts that should be in stock. If not--what the heck is the dealer doing setting you up for an oil change service.

I have run into the oil filter situation here, ended up purchasing two kits from Pitbull. Nuff said there. Also ran into needing service on the road--but this was on a Yamaha Venture back in 1986 or so. Pulled into dealer, they took me right in and fixed the bike within an hour an a half. No Charge--it turned out to be a warranty item.

Sorry you had to go through this. Another strike against a network of some servicing dealers that just don't get it.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default New York

That's it, people love to hate New Yokers. LOL
    (Expat from Park Slope, Brooklyn living in las Vegas)

Spyder Garage

Default I do not know how long ASK

has been a dealer, but I recently posted a caution to be wary of newer Can-Am dealers. They are pushing to expand their dealers and are signing some which . . . You complete the sentence.
    Doug Barnes
    James 4:17

all on two wheels. More on four or more. Guess I may need to start multi-coloring for three wheels.

Spyder Garage

Default Wow..!!

what a trip...really sorry you stumbled into this place. Sadly once they get their mitts on it you can't leave. Fortunately not all are this way and you will find them down the road....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Wow - what a day!

Sorry to hear about your service. I am hopeful that as Can Am Spyders continue to gain popularity, the "good" dealers will do very well and will be noted.

I am happy with my dealership on the first service for my 2014 RT Limited. It was set-up about a month ago for 9am. 9am it was taken in. I was given a demo to ride (which I just went to a restaurant a few miles away and ate breakfast). Came back about 2 hours later...had to wait about 30 minutes. Spyder was completed, they ran me a BUDS printed report free (which I asked for since I had never seen one), checked all the service bulletins, and I was on my way. It was $253 for everything. I feel fortunate to have a dealership that I trust and that is "why" I bought my 2014 RT L just 10 months after I had bought my 2012 RT L from them (which I traded in on the 2014 RT L). Good service will equal repeat purchases by their customers.

I am sure you will not be buying much from a dealership that has treated you that way on the first service! Hard to believe they scheduled your service without insuring they had all the parts to complete the job!

I would be searching and networking with other Spyder owners in your area for a "good" dealership that has excellent service...IMHO!
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 Spyder RT Limited - January 2014, Cognac/Black Seat, #958, born on 1-8-14
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac

Spyder Garage

A bad dealer, or even one bad visit like this, really hurts the product. There are a lot of people trying very hard to make the Spyder what it has the potential to be. It's a shame that a few are out there throwing grenades like this one.

These truly fall into the 'Unbelievable' category!

I am a real believer that things happen because they were meant to be (Or maybe a bit of incompetence followed up by a lot of BS!)- we probably saved you from an accident down the road. So, does that mean if you never fixed my Spyder I'd live forever?

At least we got you done today and you did not have to stay overnight.
    Gee Thanks! You just saved yourself the price of a hotel room!

We went out of our way to get you that oil filter and we are not charging the extra amount it cost me to have it delivered here.
    Hmmm... Let's see. A high frequency matenance item that you should have verified as 'In Stock' before you agreed to do the work. I'm a bit foggy on how that works out to being a favor you did for me.

Seriously! Do they teach this stuff in 'Customer Service' school?
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default BRP letter

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    Did you read this post BRP cares????
    I sent a letter to BRP about a week ago. Waiting to see if they reply.
    Last letter I sent to BRP, their response was not exactly comforting or accurate.

Spyder Garage

Are you sure u spelled dealers name correctly? Should be(ASS)! Fyi once you stuck everything seems worse than it is, compound aggravation, if u will hope it was a one time thing glad ur back to riding

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Sorry for you experience. I went through a similar 7 hour period at a Clarksville dealer that put the shaft to me for $380. Hope you get some satisfaction.

Spyder Garage

Default And how long has this dealer

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Humphreys View Post
    Sorry for you experience. I went through a similar 7 hour period at a Clarksville dealer that put the shaft to me for $380. Hope you get some satisfaction.
    been around?
    Doug Barnes
    James 4:17

all on two wheels. More on four or more. Guess I may need to start multi-coloring for three wheels.

Spyder Garage

Back in about 2003, I bought a new Kawasaki Nomad from that location and dealt with Patty Ackers, a daughter of the owner. She was a very nice person - then. At 600 miles the transmission locked. Another dealer made the warranty repairs but I was successful in having it declared a lemon since it was in the shop for about 5 months. Kawasaki agreed to buy it back but I had to return it to ASK, the selling dealer. I had a copy of a letter they sent to the owner telling him to take it back and sign for it. When I brought the bike back, Patty was the only person in authority there at the time and she had a really nasty attitude about the whole thing. I told her Kawasaki was sending me the money, all she had to do was sign for the bike's return. She finally called her dad and he told her they had to accept it and to sign the return document. I was happy to run away from there as fast as I could and have never been back.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It took the runner about two and a half hours to make a ten minute run?!?
    I'd have told them that I wanted him fired...

You could look at it this way...
    They charged you for three hours worth of labor; yet your bike tied their shop up for over...
    I think that you won on points!
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 07-21-2015 at 07:19 AM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Z View Post
    Sorry for long post but these are the facts:

On July 9, 2014 I called ASK Powersports in Grove City, Ohio (near Columbus, Ohio) to make an appointment for an oil and filter change and 3000 mile first service on my Can Am Spyder 2014 RT-S. I explained that I would be traveling through from West Virginia (RoadRUNNER Magazine Rally) to St. Paul, MN (BMW MOA Rally). My appointment was made for Monday, July 21, 2014 at 10:00 AM.
    I arrived at ASK Powersports on July 21st at 9:45 am. The dealership, which sells and services Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Yamaha, Can-Am, Kymco and Arctic Cat opened and my bike was taken in at 10:25 AM. There was only one other bike (a 2012 Can-Am) there for service. There were 2 service technicians, a service order employee and at least 3 other employees answering the phones in addition to 2 sales persons.
    I was asked to sign an estimate that indicated 3 hours of labor at $85 per hour plus an oil & filter change with miscellaneous parts and shop supplies totaling $321.84 including sales tax.
    At approximately 2 PM I asked how things were going and was told fine. By 3 PM, after repeated questions, I was told that ASK Powersports did not have the oil filter and that they had requested one of their other store to send it. The service tech told me that the other store was about 10 minutes away. He apologized but said it was not up to him. I spoke to Sandra Ackers, who identified herself as being in charge, and she said that the runner was on his way. Well the runner did not show up until 4:25 PM - that’s 6 hours after ASK Powersports brought the bike in for the 3 hour service.

The service was finally completed by 5:15 PM and I asked Ms. Ackers what she was going to do for me for making me wait an extra 4 hours. After all, their website says “All you gotta to do is ASK” and “we pride ourselves on customer service” and they “have 3 locations to better serve you”.

Here are some of the customer service answers given to me by Ms. Ackers:

I am a real believer that things happen because they were meant to be - we probably saved you from an accident down the road (yes she really said that).

At least we got you done today and you did not have to stay overnight (yes she really said that).

We went out of our way to get you that oil filter and we are not charging the extra amount it cost me to have it delivered her (yes she really said that).

She asked me what I wanted and I told her that they should take at least $100 off the bill for the unnecessary wait and lost time they caused. She said that was impossible and she called her boss and he told her not to take my credit card for payment. That’s when I said I was calling the police. Ms. Ackers decided to take the credit card and offered me a bandana, which I did not take, for my “troubles” and because they are a “big believer in customer service”. By this time, I had enough and I told her I wanted to leave. I ended up paying $343.35 and left at 5:45 PM. Observations: During the entire time I was there, only one other motorcycle came to be serviced. Maybe half a dozen people walked in the show room (in a 7 hour period). The service tech working on my bike took a break (lunch ?) between appx. 2 and 3 pm. The phones were constantly ringing and the people who answered usually had no answers without putting the callers on hold for 5 minutes or more. Many times the answers were “I’m not sure”, “I don’t know”, “maybe you can Google that”. In my opinion, the treatment I received from ASK Powersports is a direct reflection on Can Am as well as all the other brands they carry. I believe my experience is also one of the reasons that people buy on line rather than frequenting or supporting their local dealership. Was I badly treated because I am from New York ? Was the service bad because I brought in a Can Am Spyder as opposed to a Honda or Yamaha ?
    Did they mistreat me because they could ?
    Do I have a different understanding or expectation of what customer service is or should be ?
    Did ASK Powersports commit fraud or misrepresentation when they gave me an estimate of 3 hours ?
    OR
    Was ASK Powersports just incompetent in not having an oil filter available for a service which included changing the oil and filter ?

I hope that ASK Powersports is not illustrative of the service I will expect in the future on my Can Am Spyder.

Customer service is not just words used to draw customers into a business. Good customer service keeps customers coming to a business. One other motorcycle being serviced during the entire time I was at ASK Powersports seems to be indicative of what local Ohio people know.
    Hope you have put ASK Powersports on your not to visit list.
    American by Birth, Southern by the Grace of GOD.

The Older I get the Better I Was.

Spyder Garage

This post began in August of 2014. The information may or may not be up to date. I had an opinion when it first came out. Post #5 of this thread.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    It took the runner about two and a half hours to make a ten minute run?!?
    I'd have told them that I wanted him fired...

It was 10 miles away
    Maybe the gave him a bicycle to go get it with
    Or they told him to walk
    Now 2014 RT Limited Cognac
    Was 2008 GS SM5

Don Garbarino

Cup Holder
    GPS locking holder
    Mud flap
    Modified KNOTT grill
    Phone holder and charger
    Trailer hitch
    Dual air horn
    Auxiliary fuse box with relays
    Heated clothing controller
    volt/oil pressure gauge
    Sequential signals in mirror
    Tri Axis Handle bars
    Baja Ron anti sway bar/heim links
    shorty antenna
    And many more

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by garb55 View Post
    It was 10 miles away
    Maybe the gave him a bicycle to go get it with
    Or they told him to walk
    There ya go! The average person walks 3 mph. That makes the timing about right. All their vehicles must have been in the shop.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

... and waiting to be serviced!

Very Active Member Orange Spyder Man's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Kudos to you for identifying that "dealer"... if more of us would openly let others know about poor servicing dealers... these unfit dealers would eventually fold and hopefully new dealers that try to treat customers fairly would take their place...

osm

Spyder Garage

The OP seems to have disappeared after taking the time to write the long complaint about that dealer up in Ohio. I would be curious as to why he didn't check reviews of that ASK place before setting up this away from home service. Google reviews: https://www.google.com/search?q=ask+...f1f4684f910f,1

Similar set of bad reviews on Facebook and YP.com. Folks should look at this stuff before going in blind.
    wiredgeorge Mico TX
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sometimes, a little bit of research can save a lot of headaches!

Spyder Garage

Perhaps we get cranky as we get older?

Chris