Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Communication systems on 2014 RTS ?

Am I correct ?
    There is NO CB.
    And the intercom is Bluetooth only ?

Has anyone installed a StarCom or something else ?
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

We use Sena SMH10 helmet communicators for bike to bike communications.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

BRP does make a wired CB radio and intercom system, but is on backorder until Oct.
    2014 Timeless Black RTS/SE - BRP CB/Comm System; BRP Zumo 660 GPS System; BRP Cellphone Interface; BRP ST-1 Helmets w/BRP Headsets; BRP XM Radio; BRP Tri-Axis Handlebars; BRP Adj Wind Deflectors; BRP Adj Vent Windshield; BRP Comfort Seat & Utopia Backrest; Corbin Armrests; HMT Brake Light; TricLED 3/4 Brake & Running Lights; TricLED Fender Lights & Rr Cargo Lights; CD Fender TIPS Kit; Bump Skid; Scorpio i900 Alarm; Touratech GPS Locking Mount; NBV Highway Mounts; BBP Brake Pedal, Stebel horn.

Spyder Garage

I use Uclear, it works great.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stevedfive View Post
    BRP does make a wired CB radio and intercom system, but is on backorder until Oct.
    For the 2014 ?
    IBA #47122

Spyder Garage

What do you guys do about keeping the helmets charged ?
    I have my Tab and my Cellphone that need charging every day.
    I'm wondering how to keep the headsets charged.
    IBA #47122

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    I have charger cords for both my in iPhone and smh 10 that plug into the spyder
    but mostly I just charge them at night since the full charges normally last a full day of riding....
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Spyder Garage

Default Charging all

I added a cig plug to the battery and then added a 3 plug pigtail to that and have 3 12v to 5V adapters plugged in each. Gives me 6 charging ports. Not the cleanest but works

Spyder Garage

Until the wired CB system is readily available for the 2014 RT I am using Sena SMH10 for headset and intercom. I use the Sm10 for radio stack to the headset. When traveling with friends who only have CB I use the SR10 with my Midland portable cb and a Firestick NoGroundPlane antenna.
    2014 RT Limited Black Currant, BaJaRon Anti-Sway Bar and Links, Show Chrome Luggage Rack, Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder. More to Come.
    08 Honda Aero - wife's
    14 Kymco - wife's (Hmmmmm...i'm losing bikes)

Spyder Garage

Wow, I'm pretty lucky. I just bought my Spyder a month ago and told them I wanted a CB & trailer hitch installed on it and three days later all the parts came in and I left a happy camper.
    2014 Silver RT-Limited
    Baker Built Air Wings
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    BajaRon Billet Aluminum Heim Joints
    LED’s On Mirrors
    Aluminum Diamond Plate Mud flap

http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/can...lly4644/302033

Spyder Garage

We are using the Sena. We can communicate all day on a charge. The helmets are plugged in when we get back from a ride and ready to go the next time we hop aboard the Spyder. We are on our second riding season with the SMH10's. On longer trips, we just bring the charger along and plug them in at night.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Yes we are on the second season as well with the Senas. Great product and the charge lasts all day. I play my music from my smart phone.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Vidman View Post
    Until the wired CB system is readily available for the 2014 RT I am using Sena SMH10 for headset and intercom. I use the Sm10 for radio stack to the headset. When traveling with friends who only have CB I use the SR10 with my Midland portable cb and a Firestick NoGroundPlane antenna.
    Is there a bluetooth adapter for your CB ?
    If so, your solution sounds perfect. Please share the details.
    IBA #47122

Spyder Garage

Is there a bluetooth adapter for your CB ?
    If so, your solution sounds perfect. Please share the details.
    When he says he is using the SR10, yes that is his Bluetooth interface from/to the CB.

SM10 is for streaming music in stereo from a media source (the radio). This is a one way communication. From radio to helmet.

SR10 is a 2 way BT device but is mono only. It allows you to hook pretty much any CB to it and use your BT helmet with the CB.
    You do have a wired external "Push to Talk" button that you have to mount on the handlebars. One day I plan to figure out how to use the SR10 with the PTT button built on the spyder's left grip.

Vidman, I would like to see pics of your SR10 and CB setup... e.g. where it is mounted etc. I have been looking at this solution for some time but it's low of the list.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

I have the Midland portable cb and SE10 in the trunk. Firestick NGP antenna with mirror mount on the luggage rack. Extension ptt cable from SR10 to the ptt button strapped to the handle grip.

Still have to mount the SR10 and radio. Right now they are loose in trunk. I had thought about mounting up from but Marker reminded me the radio is not water resistant.

Chuck
    2014 RT Limited Black Currant, BaJaRon Anti-Sway Bar and Links, Show Chrome Luggage Rack, Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder. More to Come.
    08 Honda Aero - wife's
    14 Kymco - wife's (Hmmmmm...i'm losing bikes)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Vidman View Post
    I have the Midland portable cb and SE10 in the trunk. Firestick NGP antenna with mirror mount on the luggage rack. Extension ptt cable from SR10 to the ptt button strapped to the handle grip.

Still have to mount the SR10 and radio. Right now they are loose in trunk. I had thought about mounting up from but Marker reminded me the radio is not water resistant.

Chuck
    OK so work in progress, gotcha yea.

Yes I am strugglying with mounting the Midland. For full use you want it up front so you can adjust channels, etc. I realize in the frunk works but you cant control it from there. But finding a good way to mount it up front is tough to make it functional and look good too.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    OK so work in progress, gotcha yea.

Yes I am strugglying with mounting the Midland. For full use you want it up front so you can adjust channels, etc. I realize in the frunk works but you cant control it from there. But finding a good way to mount it up front is tough to make it functional and look good too.

Bob
    I put the midland cb and the SR10 in the center dash pouch and let the ant hang out the zipper. I can unzip and adjust things when needed. This is the best solution I've figured out. Works good. I ran the push to talk cable up through the center of the handle bars and attached to left grip.
    dashpouch.JPG
    Last edited by lyonsden; 08-18-2014 at 03:29 PM.

Current: 2018 F3 Limited
    Previous: 2011 RT with 622 Trailer

Mods:
    F4 Customs 25" Windshield
    F4 Customs Air Wings
    Spyderpops Top Case/Seat Extender
    TackForm Phone Mount
    Lamonster Ram Ball Handlebar Mount
    Show Chrome Passenger Armrests

Spyder Garage

OK, so I guess this is my solution:

2014 RTS-SM6 in Timeless Black with the BRP Bluetooth Dongle.
    BRP Audio package (radio, Ipod integration)
    Ipod Touch (first generation)
    2 BRP Headsets (I know they are Sena, but I prefer one stop shopping)
    Garmin 660LM
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Hot sexy girlfriend (says so in the SpyderQuest registration !)
    In the fullness of time, I'll get a Sena SR10 and CB radio as required.
    I'll know Friday afternoon how this all works out.

If I'm way off base, please let me know.
    IBA #47122

Spyder Garage

OK, so I guess this is my solution:

2014 RTS-SM6 in Timeless Black with the BRP Bluetooth Dongle.
    BRP Audio package (radio, Ipod integration)
    Ipod Touch (first generation)
    2 BRP Headsets (I know they are Sena, but I prefer one stop shopping)
    Garmin 660LM
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Hot sexy girlfriend (says so in the SpyderQuest registration !)
    In the fullness of time, I'll get a Sena SR10 and CB radio as required.
    I'll know Friday afternoon how this all works out.

If I'm way off base, please let me know.
    What you list should work fine!

But I will do my best to try to talk you out of buying the BRP headsets and SM10 from BRP. BRP doesnt sell the SR10 anyway. You will pay a heck of a lot more going to BRP for those off the shelf parts. I will be glad to make you a BT dongle cable for free to help you save. I have made at least 20 cables for SL folks here all for free and they have all worked for everyone.

Get your headsets and SM10/SR10 from Dave here on SL.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Default We use CB from 2012

We had the dealer install our 2012 CB into our 2014 RT. IT IS THE BEST SOUNDING CB in our group of 15 CB equips. bikes.

mike s
    Duck
    Michael Spivack
    2007 Goldwing
    2012 RT Limited Lava (traded 5/2/14)
    RT Mods.
    Cup holder, Utopia Backrest, Hi mounter tail light, FZ1 fuse box, aux power outlet, CB and Gerbing outlets
    2014 RT Limited Cognac (purchased 5/2/14)
    RT Mods.
    Cup holder, Spyder Backrest, 2012 CB and Gerbing outlets
    GWRRA
    Cape Cod, Ma.

Spyder Garage

How do all these bluetooth things play with each other ?
    The SR10 acts as an adapter for the CB radio. But it also acts as a gateway for the GPS and mobile phone and intercom bike to bike as well as other headsets on the bike (passenger).
    The SMH10 headset acts as an intercom, and connects to the mobile phone and the GPS.
    Is there some order to pair the units in so they don't step all over each other ?
    IBA #47122

Spyder Garage

How do all these bluetooth things play with each other ?
    The SR10 acts as an adapter for the CB radio. But it also acts as a gateway for the GPS and mobile phone and intercom bike to bike as well as other headsets on the bike (passenger).
    The SMH10 headset acts as an intercom, and connects to the mobile phone and the GPS.
    Is there some order to pair the units in so they don't step all over each other ?
    For bike to bike or driver/passenger comms, you only need the BT headsets. They bind to each other for comms. Be careful which set your order as some models have a smaller limited amount of headsets you can bind to.

The SR10 you are correct is for connecting a CB and getting it to work to a BT headset. You would bind the SR10 to a headset. I have not fully studied the SR10 to see if you can bind more than one headset.

As a gateway for a GPS or phone, just remember the SR10 is MONO only not stereo. So if you plan to play music from your GPS or phone remember that. There are a couple ways to hook a GPS or phone to the SR10.
    1) Use a cable from the GPS or phone to the AUX on the SR10. Not additional binding to the headset needed.
    2) Bind the GPS or phone directly to your headset (No SR10 is then needed for this!). Note: not all GPS units can bind to a headset! The ZUMO's can.
    3) Bind the GPS or phone to the SR10. The SR10 will then stream any audio from the phone or GPS to the headsets.

Now if you want to hear the BRP radio or anything it is playing (like your iPod) you could use the SR10 and a dongle cable BUT this is not the best way as it will not be stereo.
    For this you need the SM10 audio streaming device and a dongle cable to run it to the RD02 connector on the BRP radio.
    The way you can use or bind the SM10 to headsets is the same as above for the SR10.

Yes, the SR10 and SM10 will play together and both can be bound to your headsets.

Now as far as the order in which all this gets bound to each other.......
    You can bind these in just about any order you want HOWEVER I have found that the order is important or things tend to not work well. The order is kind of outlined in the Sena instructions but not specifically.
    In my opinion this is the best way.
    1) Bind all helmet systems first. Make your driver helmet #1 of master first bind.
    2) Bind any phone or GPS to your helmet if you want to go this route rather than through a SM10 or SR10. If you want to bind the GPS or Phone to the SR or SM10, skip this and go on.
    3) Bind the SR10 to your headsets next if you have that for CB.
    4) Bind the SM10 to the headsets next if you have that for stereo.
    5) Now bind your Phone or GPS to the SR10 or SM10. I would go with the SM10 over the SR10 for stereo. Don't do this step if you decided to bind your phone or GPS directly to the helmets.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    ~~
    The SR10 you are correct is for connecting a CB and getting it to work to a BT headset. You would bind the SR10 to a headset.
    ~~

In my opinion this is the best way.
    1) Bind all helmet systems first. Make your driver helmet #1 of master first bind.
    2) Bind any phone or GPS to your helmet if you want to go this route rather than through a SM10 or SR10. If you want to bind the GPS or Phone to the SR or SM10, skip this and go on.
    3) Bind the SR10 to your headsets next if you have that for CB.
    4) Bind the SM10 to the headsets next if you have that for stereo.
    5) Now bind your Phone or GPS to the SR10 or SM10. I would go with the SM10 over the SR10 for stereo. Don't do this step if you decided to bind your phone or GPS directly to the helmets.

Bob
    You Sir, are my hero. I already own a handheld CB, but will only use that occasionally. I will follow your suggestions precisely.
    Thanks again!
    SKS
    Last edited by ThreeWheels; 08-19-2014 at 11:39 AM.
    IBA #47122

Spyder Garage

I agree, he is the man.
    2014 Timeless Black RTS/SE - BRP CB/Comm System; BRP Zumo 660 GPS System; BRP Cellphone Interface; BRP ST-1 Helmets w/BRP Headsets; BRP XM Radio; BRP Tri-Axis Handlebars; BRP Adj Wind Deflectors; BRP Adj Vent Windshield; BRP Comfort Seat & Utopia Backrest; Corbin Armrests; HMT Brake Light; TricLED 3/4 Brake & Running Lights; TricLED Fender Lights & Rr Cargo Lights; CD Fender TIPS Kit; Bump Skid; Scorpio i900 Alarm; Touratech GPS Locking Mount; NBV Highway Mounts; BBP Brake Pedal, Stebel horn.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lyonsden View Post
    I put the midland cb and the SR10 in the center dash pouch and let the ant hang out the zipper. I can unzip and adjust things when needed. This is the best solution I've figured out. Works good. I ran the push to talk cable up through the center of the handle bars and attached to left grip.
    dashpouch.JPG
    Great idea ! Where did you get your windshield bag from?
    Could you please post a pic of the left handgrip with the PTT button mounted to it.
    I am to do the same thing as you and Vidman