Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Murphybrown is on the road...AGAIN

Good Morning All...left yesterday for a short 3-4k trip...sure need to learn how to post pics.. Mt Rainier was off the charts AWESOME..just trust me on that one: Here is the comments!!
    Good Morning All:

Yesterday I headed out on my "last long" trek of this ryding season. My ultimate "goal" will be to travel 101/1/Pacific Coast Highway south. There was a period of time we lived in Woodland, WA. So decided great time to stop and reconnect with a couple special people in my life. First was former fish hatchery superintendent Larry...He is a decorated WW II vet in his 90's...I have know this man over 50 years and literally have never seen him lose his temper (and I lived right next door and he and wife, Evelyn, raised 3 kids!!!!)..or not be laughing and smiling. Yep that is what I found yesterday. His wife has passed and he now lives in an adult home...there he was ramrod straight...walks very well with his walker...healthy as a "horse" and we had great time trying to out do each other with our "stories". I want to be him when I grow up...except will still be ryding my Spyder from the "home"!!!

Then placed call to Barb...now why is she special? Well cause she was me when I was in 9th grade. We started a 9ers youth group at our local church...Barb loved to ski and we used to take the kids on ski weekends...so the only reason she came to youth group was so she could go skiing. Barb was the kid that was sitting in the corner, saying NOTHING and arms folded over chest. I said Lord...that one is going to be a tough nut (remember this was me!!!...so I KNEW)...but have at her...fast forward to today. Barb (besides having 2 of the most gorgeous granddaughters...just ask her!!) is a multiple published author of Christian (life as it really is) books and speaker...So Yep she finally "gave in" and said YES to a personal relationship with Jesus and now it is history in the making.

Well, definitely got ahead of my journey yesterday so back up..the above was "almost" the end of the day. I decided yesterday a.m. that I sure wasn't going on the freeway to Woodland and Mt. Rainier area was right there. So out of smoky Chelan valley into Smoky wenatchee/cashmere/Blewett Pass..Ellensburg it was clearing up...and I want/need COFFEE. See a Starbucks and pull in...now this was one busy place. Literally 1 hr. 12 minutes later I had my quad drink in hand...Yep I know that is crazzzzyyyyy to stand in a line for coffee. But no one ever said I was sane..

Left there..fully charged...choose Canyon Rd to Yakima then West on 12...then 410 around Mr Rainier Nat'l Park area...this pic was one of many..the Mt was at her finest...Nice, Nice, NICE. Just ready to exit park area and whoops accident. Head on two cars...great news no one hurt enough to need transport...not so great news: neither lane can be opened until they get a State Trooper there...Park Rangers cannot deal/finalize investigation. So here we sit for over and hour, actually closer to 2. Finally we move and yep those two cars won't be seeing a body shop anytime soon.

The ryde was great...the day was wonderful with seeing old friends and talking to 'strangers'...yep never find to many of those. And then Karyl discovers that she 1. broke 2 pair of readers, beyond using and 2. Left my toothbrush home. Solution for one tired, exhausted, bra off, done for day Spyder Ryder? Brush teeth with finger (haven't done that in a few..) and don't try to read maps...go to bed and sleep...ahhhhhh yes it was an awesome day.

Hope yours was also,

Later...headed to the ocean shortly...suppose to be reaching 100's inland...thinking that coast temp is going to be just right to enjoy the sights and smells..

Karyl
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Spyder Garage

Default On the road again...

sounds like you are having a great start on your last long ryde. Enjoy, be safe and have fun..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Coast ride

Have a great ride, I just rode up the coast on 101 from Eureka and it was fun. Keep us posted.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

We just did two weeks in eastern Canada a week ago. My wife gives you a thumbs up on the bra thing too. Where is your destination? We are headed to Las Vegas in the car right now.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407767545.701770.jpg
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Default Yep pulling 'tire eating' trailer

Got a PM asking if I was towing...yep. Figure it is time to see if Carlo/BRP techs are right. They say, that 1.5 mm toe in is "not an issue". I sooooo hope they are correct...but just in case. I am documenting all measurements of tred depth. Started at slightly less than 3/32..last night measured in 3 diff places ..2.5/32.... Hmmmmm 347 miles.
    Will keep you posted.. Time to load up and head out.. A great day to ryde....
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Spyder Garage

Have a safe trip, and way too much fun!

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

Default How far..!!

will you be going on the 101/pch 1..?? if you get as far as San Diego let me know. You have a place here...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I worry about you pulling that trailer. I can totally see you on your Spyder in your 90's. You would have enjoyed meeting a guy at SITR, he was 87 and has been riding all of his life. He did an Iron Butt 1,500 a couple of years ago and will be riding in a 3 Flags Ride in September. They go from the Tucson/Mexico border to Canada in 3 days. He went on a group ride during SITR and was going crazy because they rode too slow for him. I want to be just like him when I grow up.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Be Safe and Have Fun!!!!

Karyl,

Yes the Coast is cooler temperatures as you go south.. Just returned from SITR and it was alot cooler for sure. There is some smoke in Southern Oregon from the fires down there, but not to bad. Have a safe trip and will be waiting to read your journey logs as you travel.

Bruce

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I always enjoy your travelogues, Karyl.

Readers and toothbrushes you can get easily along the way. But maps? You don't need no stinkin' maps!!
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Glad to hear you are off on another "adventure." Keep us filled in and add some pictures if possible.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users
    Tri Cities of Apple Valley, Hesperia, Victorville
    Spyder Garage

I'm really enjoying your posts Karyl. Keep em coming and ryde safe!
    Take Care,
    Allen B.

Spyder Garage

Saw the pic of you and Barb on FB yesterday. I'm sure she was delighted with your visit. What a great story her life has become. I'll bet you had no idea what would become of that seed you helped plant so many years ago...
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Safe trip with plenty of awesome...

Glad to hear you are off, on your journey. Wishing you many miles of smiles and wonderful memories.

Pics would be welcome, but your descriptive words are great too...

Happy Trails

Chas

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Exclamation

Hi Murph!!! Am WAY behind on any of your "adventures" so don't know about your camper. Kinda wonder what kind is it? and how easy is it to tow?, what's the wt. of all when hooked together?, how easy is it to get hooked up and or un hooked and set up?? I just got a Aspen classic (used) and find I have some problems with setting up, and the wt is right at or just above what the bike can safely? pull? Kevin told me it's RIGHT AT the wt max. at 1800 and a little. I HAVE GOT TO LOSE WEIGHT!!!!! any info would be greatfully noted and probably do something about it. hope to see you again sometime in the future in Cowtown.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeFeet View Post
    Hi Murph!!! Am WAY behind on any of your "adventures" so don't know about your camper. Kinda wonder what kind is it? and how easy is it to tow?, what's the wt. of all when hooked together?, how easy is it to get hooked up and or un hooked and set up?? I just got a Aspen classic (used) and find I have some problems with setting up, and the wt is right at or just above what the bike can safely? pull? Kevin told me it's RIGHT AT the wt max. at 1800 and a little. I HAVE GOT TO LOSE WEIGHT!!!!! any info would be greatfully noted and probably do something about it. hope to see you again sometime in the future in Cowtown.
    I think they're referring to her RT622 trailer, not a camper. Unless she's gotten one of those in the last couple weeks.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

good travels....keep us updated...enjoy life to the fullest

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

Spyder Garage

Default South....

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    We just did two weeks in eastern Canada a week ago. My wife gives you a thumbs up on the bra thing too. Where is your destination? We are headed to Las Vegas in the car right now.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407767545.701770.jpg
    Yep that's how specific my plans are south...maybe when I hit Mexico I'll turn around...don't want to join our Marine...cause I missed the turn sign!!!
    My Motto Is:

Spyder Garage

Default Sooo right

Quote Originally Posted by MarkLawson View Post
    Saw the pic of you and Barb on FB yesterday. I'm sure she was delighted with your visit. What a great story her life has become. I'll bet you had no idea what would become of that seed you helped plant so many years ago...
    Thank God I'm not responsible for the "harvest"...
    My Motto Is:

Spyder Garage

Default Update on travels and trailer tires

First on a great road I found yesterday (actually recommended by SpyderAnn01)
    Good Morning All:

The three pictures attached (these were attached to my email..1 showed the top of road looking at Pacific 2. down at Pacific 3. Redwood forest) are highlights of a great back road I traveled yesterday. I left Eureka, CA headed south a few miles..then turned right (toward the ocean!!!) at Ferndale and 5 hours later I covered a little over 60 miles. Why so slow you ask? Well the very fastest I ever traveled was 18 mph...never got out of 2nd gear and then there were the stops. The road very narrow, twisty, and rough...paved, but let's just say CA does not allocate much road repair money to this beautiful stretch of backroad. The town of Ferndale deserves some "visit" time...old, quaint, NICE. The road as a whole is wide enough for travel...few spots that are one way and several bridges are one way...no issue other vehicles verrrrrrry limited. I counted 10 until I hit the end of the road through the Redwoods. The road goes up, up, up and you are then overlooking farm / cattle land and out to the Pacific. Then you start down, down, down. When those curves say 10 mph they reallllly mean 7 mph!!!! And there you are right at the ocean.....keep on going and you arrive at a little town called Honeydew...old, small general store/post office/antique gas pump (and price of regular gas $4.99 gal!!!). Stopped for a cool one and sat on the porch talking to some locals. They realllllly like the Spyder and the young man who tended the store knew what a 2 Bros exhaust was and he wanted to "just hear 'her' purrrrrr"... Immediately saw ahead a 1 way bridge...holy crap it was wood planked...made for the Spyder....front wheels straddled a lower portion (about 4 inches deep) and yep maybe my 4x4 PU would have fit but it would have been close...very narrow to say the least. So now I am going up and down until down puts me smack dab in a Redwood forest....those trees are just plain magnificent. Thank goodness there was room for me to pull over when I saw coming toward me one of those cities on wheels...minimum 50 ft long and 8 feet wide...that road sure was not constructed for motor homes of that magnitude...wonder how far he got on the road I just came down. Now back on 101 North to motel. Leaving this morning...will go south on 101 until Leggett then turn right toward ocean...and south on HiWay 1.

Have a great day. I'm living the life and loving it..

me
    Now to the trailer. Yes the tires are wearing out...soon very sooooon. Prior to my departure I emailed Carlo/BRP asking how BRP wants me to handle if tires wear out. Carlo again responded that BRP said correction to 1.5 mm toe in was going to be "just fine". My ? back was just in case how do you want me to handle. NO ANSWER/response. So back to Pitbull...Vanessa got right on it and we find out Carlo is out of the office until 8/18. But Vanessa apparently rattled someone's cage because yesterday I get a phone message, while on the road, from a Jan/BRP....and yes you win the prize. She had no answers for me...just more ?'s...Wanting to know if I found close Can-Am dealers on my planned route. ANSWER: NO please read email to Carlo stating same. 2nd ? was about how much wear is left on tires vs miles left to travel. Tires..maybe 500 miles....balance of trip 1500 miles. So I left Jan a message last night (after their hours of operation) and asked her to call me this morning before I leave (in about 30 minutes)...no call so far. My ? to her is when I replace tires where, how to get BRP to reimburse me since no dealers even close (approx 6 hrs one way is closest)...yes I agree the 1.5 mm correction has improved mileage on tires...but still not good...let alone great...
    Just sent Vanessa another email bringing her up to date...cause Pitbull believes in Customer Service and they demonstrate it...so I will depart and ryde in peace and joy...along the glorious Pacific ocean.
    Later...
    My Motto Is:

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Having fun, oh yeah!!

Pics didn't show, but it was great to read about your further adventures out on the long and winding road.

Keep em coming.

Chas

Spyder Garage

Karyl:

Have a safe trip and enjoy the views, and keep us posted.

Take care, Smiles, keep 3 wheels on the road,
    Deanna

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default HI Karyl

THANK YOU, and I wanted to say,,,KARYL, YOUR BEAUTIFUL. John from Omaha

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Adding giant redwoods to the bucket list!!!

Sorry, Karyl, but pics didn't come over. But it all sounds beautiful.

Someone posted here that NTSB is looking into the 2013 heat issues. Maybe they need to get on to your tire issues, too!
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Don't forget to brush your teeth each night... biker.jpg
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black