Spyder Garage

Default MSW Skyline Drive Ride . . . and Proof That My Spyder Prefers 5300 RPMs

The Maryland Spyder Web ( http://www.meetup.com/marylandspyderweb/ ) rode the length of Skyline Drive from north to south ( http://visitskylinedrive.org/Home.aspx ) on Saturday. The posted speed limit is 35 MPH, and we stuck pretty much to it (we had a group of thirteen Spyders). I was a bit frustrated that I spent most of the ride in 1st or 2nd gear, because of the slow pace. I upshift at 6000 RPMs and downshift if I get a bit under 5000 RPMs, preferring to run at about 5500 RPMs, so 1st and 2nd got a workout. When we stopped for gas after we finished Skyline Drive, I discovered I'd gotten 34 MPG for the ride! Another rider who was running mostly in 3rd and 4th got 25 MPG. That Rotax engine sure likes its RPMs! We had a great weekend, spending two nights in Luray, VA and riding the beautiful roads out there!

5.jpg
    Last edited by Dan McNally; 08-11-2014 at 08:02 AM.

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan_Roger View Post
    We started camping on Skyline Drive in 1975 (at Big Meadows) and always have a wonderful time when there.
    We stopped at Big Meadows for lunch . . . sure is pretty, up there . . . and a lot cooler!

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan_Roger View Post
    We started camping on Skyline Drive in 1975 (at Big Meadows) and always have a wonderful time when there.
    My wife and I spent our honeymoon at Big Meadows. Many years later, while visiting our son who was going to college at James Madison University, we stopped in there for lunch. We met a waitress who said she remembered us!! I had my doubts, but gave her a big tip anyway.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hayfield View Post
    The Maryland Spyder Web ( http://www.meetup.com/marylandspyderweb/ ) rode the length of Skyline Drive from north to south ( http://visitskylinedrive.org/Home.aspx ) on Saturday. The posted speed limit is 35 MPH, and we stuck pretty much to it (we had a group of thirteen Spyders). I was a bit frustrated that I spent most of the ride in 1st or 2nd gear, because of the slow pace. I upshift at 6000 RPMs and downshift if I get a bit under 5000 RPMs, preferring to run at about 5500 RPMs, so 1st and 2nd got a workout. When we stopped for gas after we finished Skyline Drive, I discovered I'd gotten 34 MPG for the ride! Another rider who was running mostly in 3rd and 4th got 25 MPG. That Rotax engine sure likes its RPMs! We had a great weekend, spending two nights in Luray, VA and riding the beautiful roads out there!

5.jpg
    We did 2,100 miles to and from Spyderfest this year and we both pulled trailers. Both Spyders averaged just under 30 mpg and we never used 5th gear for the entire trip. You have proven again that when the twin is in its' 5-6000 rpm comfort zone it returns the best mileage.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

Default Now you know..!!

still hard to imagine big V-twins liking high Rpm's. Must be harder on those coming from harleys. Glad you had a great trip even at that slow pace..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    still hard to imagine big V-twins liking high Rpm's. Must be harder on those coming from harleys. Glad you had a great trip even at that slow pace..
    Federal property and a 35 MPH speed limit . . . when we got down out of the park and on to Rt 340, we flew back to the motel in Luray, VA!

Spyder Garage

Default DANG!!! I missed it.

Hey Dan, sorry we missed you on this one. Had we known, we would have met you in the Big Meadow. Give me a shout the next time you are in the area. We will do the same. My best to Anna! Ride safe!!
    "Ride Safe, Ride Long, and Ride Often...Be Free on Three"
    ValCruzSpyder
    2012 RTS-SE5 Pure Magnesium

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cool Touring vs Sight Seeing

We did the Syline↖️Drives, from Winchester VA to Roanoke VA in our pre Syder days and found the 35 MPH speed limit to be a little iring after 6 hours. But we got to see what was on the backside f the trees".

When we got to the Blue Ridge Parkway the speed went to 45 on the scenery started zipping byt. But we still had fun

Spyder Garage

I wish that I knew you where all going to be there as I live only 6 miles from the Skyline drive at the beginning of the Blueridge parkway near Waynesboro/Staunton, VA. Hope that you all had fun as it is a great place!
    ** Loving my 5th Can-Am Spyder since 2007! **

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyder-dude View Post
    I wish that I knew you where all going to be there as I live only 6 miles from the Skyline drive at the beginning of the Blueridge parkway near Waynesboro/Staunton, VA. Hope that you all had fun as it is a great place!
    spyder-dude, I sent you a PM last week...check your in box...if you didn't get it let me know and I'll resend it...thanks, larryd